It Ends With Us Quotes For Ending Domestic Violence
March 2, 2023 5:45 AM EST
Check our selections of memorable It Ends With Us quotes from Colleen Hoover’s powerful novel.
What is It Ends With Us about?
It Ends With Us is a novel by Collen Hoover that chronicles the life of a young woman named Lily Bloom.
Lily is a character who experiences extreme highs and lows in her relationship with Ryle Kincaid.
The novel addresses the violence of domestic abuse while exploring themes of forgiveness, regret, and healing.
Before we go into details about the novel, check out these facts about domestic abuse:
- Poverty is a significant factor in domestic violence cases.
- 45% of domestic abuse survivors also report being sexually abused
- The CDC reports that one in three women experience intimate partner violence.
Why is the book It Ends With Us so popular?
Lily Bloom grew up in a house where she watched her father physically abuse her mother.
Her relationship with Ryle is tumultuous, often ending in violence.
The reader gets a glimpse into the complex psychology of an abusive relationship.
Lily feels torn between forgiving her partner, continuing the cycle of physical abuse she witnessed as a youth, and her feelings for Ryle.
The story reaches an apex point when Ryle physically abuses Lily and even comes close to raping her.
Atlas is a character in the story from Lily’s childhood.
His character forces Lily to explore themes of regret while she wonders what could have been.
Her family took Atlas in as a teen and supported him as a young man.
When they were younger, he used to sleep on Lily’s floor.
Lily’s family provided Atlas with the essentials like a roof, a warm place to sleep, food, and water.
At the same time, he provides Lily with emotional support as she witnesses her father’s abuse against her mother.
Later in life, Lily questions whether or not she still has feelings for Atlas or if their opportunity to be together has passed.
Atlas returns to Lily’s life and supports her as she navigates through her abusive relationship with Ryle.
Abusive relationships are more common than we may think
Abuse happens in repetitive seasons, known as cycles of abuse.
When an abuser gets triggered, they take their anger out on those close to them.
Ryle has anger issues because of trauma from his youth.
He witnessed his brother lose his life in a gun accident.
Ryle’s abusive cycle forces Lily to make difficult choices.
Lily gets pregnant and has to decide whether to allow Ryle in her life or keep him at a distance because of his abusive tendencies.
Sometimes we need a fresh start for a new lease on life
The book closes with Lily putting her daughter to bed.
As she kisses her daughter, she thinks of her experience as a girl watching abuse and how that impacted her relationship with Ryle, where she was abused.
She makes a choice and tells her daughter that “It ends with us,” committing to a life free of abusive relationships.
Check out our awesome selections of quotes from It Ends With Us below.
You will also enjoy our article on domestic violence quotes.
Short It Ends With Us quotes about forgiveness and moving on
There is a reason why It Ends With Us reached the top of the best-seller list.
Readers strongly identify with this novel.
1. “Every incident chips away at your limit.” — Colleen Hoover, It Ends with Us
2. “Cycles exist because they are excruciating to break.” — Colleen Hoover, It Ends with Us
3. “Every time you choose to stay, it makes the next time that much harder to leave.” — Colleen Hoover, It Ends with Us
4. “Just because someone hurts you doesn’t mean you can simply stop loving them.” — Colleen Hoover, It Ends with Us
5. “Our eyes, locked together, speak more naked truths than our mouths ever have.” — Colleen Hoover, It Ends with Us
It Ends With Us quotes about breaking the cycle of abuse
Breaking the cycle of an abusive relationship is challenging for many people.
6. “It takes an astronomical amount of pain and courage to disrupt a familiar pattern.” — Colleen Hoover, It Ends with Us
7. “And as hard as this choice is, we break the pattern before the pattern breaks us.” — Colleen Hoover, It Ends with Us
8. “We shouldn’t waste time on things that might happen someday, or maybe even never.” — Colleen Hoover, It Ends with Us
9. “That’s what fifteen minutes can do to a person. It can destroy them. It can save them.” — Colleen Hoover, It Ends with Us
10. “Everyone deserves another chance. Especially the people who mean the most to you.” — Colleen Hoover, It Ends with Us
It Ends With Us quotes about seeking happiness in life
For some people, one moment of trauma can undo a lifetime of happiness.
11. “All humans make mistakes.” — Colleen Hoover, It Ends with Us
12. “Lily, Atlas says, just keep swimming. – Ellen DeGeneres.” — Colleen Hoover, It Ends with Us
13. “Until he comes back for me, I’m just going to keep pretending to be okay.” — Colleen Hoover, It Ends with Us
14. “He presses his lips against my forehead. “You’re still my favorite person, Lily. Always will be.” — Colleen Hoover, It Ends with Us
15. “And in order to get over that hurt, you have to sever all the extensions that keep you tethered to that pain.” — Colleen Hoover, It Ends with Us
It Ends With Us quotes about ending abusive relationships
Abusive relationships have immediate and long-lasting impacts on people who survive the violence.
16. “Just because we didn’t end up on the same wave, doesn’t mean we aren’t still a part of the same ocean.” — Colleen Hoover, It Ends with Us
17. “You are my wife. I’m supposed to be the one who protects you from the monsters. I’m not supposed to be one.” — Colleen Hoover, It Ends with Us
18. “In the future, if by some miracle you ever find yourself in the position to fall in love again, fall in love with me.” — Colleen Hoover, It Ends with Us
19. “Preventing your heart from forgiving someone you love is actually a hell of a lot harder than simply forgiving them.” — Colleen Hoover, It Ends with Us
20. “He was a huge wave that left a lot of imprints on my life, and I’ll feel the weight of that love until I die. I’ve accepted that.” — Colleen Hoover, It Ends with Us
It Ends With Us quotes about love
Love is a powerful force that can help survivors overcome trauma.
21. “Fifteen seconds. That’s all it takes to completely change everything about a person. Fifteen.” — Colleen Hoover, It Ends with Us
22. “He pulls back to look down at me, and when he sees my tears, he brings his hands up to my cheeks.” — Colleen Hoover, It Ends with Us
23. “I’ll keep pretending to swim when really all I’m doing is floating. Barely keeping my head above water.” — Colleen Hoover, It Ends with Us
24. “You’re the most important part of my life, Lily. I want to be what brings you happiness. Not what causes you to hurt.” — Colleen Hoover, It Ends with Us
25. “Maybe love isn’t something that comes full circle. It just ebbs and flows, in and out, just like the people in our lives” — Colleen Hoover, It Ends with Us
Let the cycle end with you
It Ends With Us is not a true story but a narrative we, unfortunately, see all too often.
However, Colleen Hoover loosely bases what occurs in the novel on some of the challenges her mother and father experienced.
Domestic violence is a problem all over the world.
Countries with some of the highest rates of domestic violence are Afghanistan, Vanuatu, Equatorial Guinea, Solomon Islands, and the Democratic Republic of Congo.
On average, nearly 20 people per minute are physically abused by an intimate partner in the United States.
That number roughly equates to 10 million victims per year of domestic violence.
Fans consider Colleen Hoover one of the best romance authors of our generation.
She vividly paints a picture, capturing Lily Bloom’s complex and nuanced life.
Readers relate to the character of a young woman entangled in an abusive relationship while thinking about her past.
Together, we can end domestic violence.
We can make it end with us.
Do you have a favorite It Ends With Us quote?
Please, be sure to let us know in the comments below.