If you like the saying “Expect the Unexpected”, you’ll love these unexpected quotes.
Unexpected things are just a part of life. One of the only things you can be assured of is that many unexpected things will come your way throughout your life. How you handle these unexpected things will determine who you become as a person.
How do you react to unexpected situations?
Do you become nervous, angry, scared, excited, or do you take anything thrown your way in stride?
At each stage of life you can plan all you want, but learn to expect the unexpected because whether you want it or not, the unexpected will be a part of your life!
Please enjoy the quotes below about the unexpected.
Don’t forget to also check out these leap of faith quotes to inspire you to live the life you want.
Unexpected quotes about overcoming the unknown
1. “Resilience is all about being able to overcome the unexpected. Sustainability is about survival. The goal of resilience is to thrive.” – Jamais Cascio
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of resilience quotes to inspire your next comeback.
2. “Those who don’t know how to suffer are the worst off. There are times when the only correct thing we can do is to bear out troubles until a better day.” – Deng Ming-Dao
3. “A creative train of thought is set off by the unexpected, the unknown, the accidental, the disorderly, the absurd, the impossible.” – Asger Jorn
4. “The greater the obstacle, the more glory in overcoming it.” – Moliere
5. “Don’t give up in times of difficulty. Persevere on as there will be an end to these.” – Edward Dunedin
6. “Knowledge is power, and it can help you overcome any fear of the unexpected. When you learn, you gan more awareness through the process, and you know what pitfalls to look for as you get ready to transition to the next level.” – Jay Shetty
7. “Without being push to the wall, we will have remained in our comfort zone. But this circumstance challenges us to find the courage to move on.” – Lailah Gifty Akita
8. “The twists and turns of your life can be so unexpected, and that’s a good thing to learn.” – Christina Baker Kline
9. “Sometimes the best things in life are unexpected.” – Faith Sullivan
10. “If you take control of those things you can, you are better able to negotiate the unexpected.” – Judy Sheindlin
11. “Some fish love to swim upstream. Some people love to overcome challenges.” – Amit Ray
12. “You can’t make a recipe for something as complicated as surgery. Instead, you can make a recipe for how to have a team that’s prepared for the unexpected.” – Atul Gawande
13. “People are always blaming their circumstances for what they are. I don’t believe in circumstances. The people who get on in this world are the people who get up and look for the circumstances they want, and if they can’t find them, make them.” – George Bernard Shaw
14. “Never trust someone that claims they care nothing of what society thinks of them. Instead of conquering obstacles, they simply pretend they don’t exist.” – Tiffany Madison
Unexpected quotes that will inspire you to chase your dreams
15. “If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.” – Henry David Thoreau
16. “There are almost unlimited possibilities for making discoveries and to uncover the unknown. It is in the nature of the discovery that it can not be planned or programmed. On the contrary, it consists of surprises and appears many times in the most unexpected places.” – Bengt I. Samuelsson
17. “Take a limitation and turn it into an opportunity. Take an opportunity and turn it into an adventure by dreaming BIG!” – Jo Franz
18. “Always listen to experts. They’ll tell you what can’t be done, and why. Then do it.” – Robert A. Heinlein
19. “You are an artist when you make someone feel something deep and unexpected.” – Amanda Palmer
20. “Well, if it can be thought, it can be done, a problem can be overcome.” – E.A. Bucchianeri
21. “The best solutions are often simple, yet unexpected.” – Julian Casablancas
Doing the unexpected quotes
22. “All creative people want to do the unexpected.” – Hedy Lamarr
23. “We must stop regarding unpleasant or unexpected things as interruptions of real life. The truth is that interruptions are real life.” – C.S. Lewis
24. “Some of us, for better or worse, develop very stable, consistent, and largely predictable machineries of self. But in others, the self machinery is more flexible and more open to unexpected turns.” – Antonio Damasio
25. “Sometimes the most scenic roads in life are the detours you didn’t mean to take.” – Angela N. Blount
26. “Never be so faithful to your plan that you are unwilling to consider the unexpected. Never be so faithful to your plan that you are unwilling to entertain the improbable opportunity that comes looking for you.” – Elizabeth Warren
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to check out our collection of Elizabeth Warren quotes on capitalism, politics, and more.
27. “There is only one kind of shock worse than the totally unexpected: the expected for which one has refused to prepare.” ― Mary Renault
28. “I always say the next big thing will happen in unexpected places – up and coming cities that aren’t necessarily boom markets.” – Anna Sui
29. “But life inevitably throws us curveballs, unexpected circumstances that remind us to expect the unexpected. I’ve come to understand these curve balls are the beautiful unfolding of both karma and current.” – Carre Otis
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of karma quotes about what goes around & comes around in our life.
Unexpected quotes about expecting the unknown
30. “If you expect life to be easy, challenges will seem difficult. If you accept that challenges may occur, life will be easier.” – Rob Liano
31. “Sometimes we let life guide us, and other times we take life by the horns. But one thing is for sure: no matter how organized we are, or how well we plan, we can always expect the unexpected.” – Brandon Jenner
32. “Expect nothing, live frugally on surprise. Become a stranger to need of pity. Or if compassion be freely given out, take only enough.” – Alice Walker
33. “To expect the unexpected shows a thoroughly modern intellect.” – Oscar Wilde
34. “I’m looking for the unexpected. I’m looking for things I’ve never seen before.” – Robert Mapplethorpe
35. “If you do not expect the unexpected you will find it, for it is not to be reached by search or trail.” – Heraclitus
36. “The marvels of daily life are exciting; no movie director can arrange the unexpected that you find in the street.” – Unknown
37. “If history repeats itself, and the unexpected always happens, how incapable must man be of learning from experience.” – George Bernard Shaw
Unexpected quotes that will change the way you think
38. “You have to take risks. We will only understand the miracle of life fully when we allow the unexpected to happen.” – Paulo Coelho
39. “Nearly all the best things that came to me in life have been unexpected, unplanned by me.” – Carl Sandburg
40. “The ear tends to be lazy, craves the familiar and is shocked by the unexpected; the eye on the other hand, tends to be impatient, craves the novel and is bored by repetition.” – W.H. Auden
41. “If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed.” – Sylvia Plath
42. “Life is not what you expect: it is made up of the most unexpected twists and turns.” – Ilaiyaraaja
43. “The best parts of any story to me are the unexpected things.” – Kirsten Vangsness
44. “If the career you have chosen has some unexpected inconvenience, console yourself by reflecting that no career is without them.” – Jane Fonda
45. “The only real things in life is the unexpected things. Everything else is just an illusion.” – Watkin Tudor Jones
46. “One cannot plan for the unexpected.” – Aaron King
47. “But, instead of what our imagination makes us suppose and which we worthless try to discover, life gives us something that we could hardly imagine.” – Marcel Proust
48. “Old age is the most unexpected of all things that happen to a man.” – Leon Trotsky
More unexpected quotes and sayings
49. “In life, there is nothing more unexpected and surprising than the arrivals and departures of pleasure. If we find it in one place today, it is vain to seek it there tomorrow. You can not lay a trap for it.” – Alexander Smith
50. “Doesn’t expecting the unexpected make the unexpected expected?” – Bob Dylan
If you’re enjoying these quotes, read our collection of Bob Dylan quotes from the iconic Folk singer.
51. “The unexpected discoveries along the route are the joys of heading to the final destination.” – Steven Magee
52. “The unexpected is what makes life possible.” – Ursula K. Le Guin
53. “It is strange how new and unexpected conditions bring out unguessed ability to meet them.” – Edgar Rice Burroughs
54. “The most expected thing you can expect is what’s unexpected.” – Dick Allen
55. “Everything’s going along as usual and then all shit breaks loose.” – Joan Didion
What did you learn from these unexpected quotes?
Hopefully, after reading the quotes about the unexpected, you have an appreciation for the unforeseen things in life.
In fact, life would end up boring if nothing unexpected ever happened. If you look back at your life are your favorite experiences and events all expected, or are some unexpected?
The roads of our lives are so twisted back and forth by the unexpected. We don’t have this straight-line path and we are better off for it.
In fact sometimes the unexpected opens you up to new experiences that you are forced to try and often enough you find a new interest that you would have never found if not for the unexpected.
What’s your biggest takeaway from these unexpected quotes and sayings? Do you have any other favorite quotes to add? Let us know in the comment section below.
December 30, 2020 7:00 AM EST