More than just a Christmas movie, It’s A Wonderful Life is a film that has been helping people change perspectives for almost 75 years. We hope you enjoy these inspirational It’s A Wonderful Life quotes from the classic film.
George Bailey is a man who feels his life is a total failure. He has so many problems that he is considering ending his life by jumping off his town’s bridge. George’s guardian angel, Clarence, intervenes and shows George what a truly wonderful life he has.
It’s a Wonderful Life is the masterpiece of Frank Capra who wrote, directed, and produced the film in 1946. This is a classic that has been rewatched every year for generations and offers a reminder of the importance of family, friends, and appreciating the smaller things.
Don’t forget to also check out these Steel Magnolias quotes from hit comedic drama.
Inspirational It’s A Wonderful Life quotes
1. “Strange, isn’t it? Each man’s life touches so many other lives. And when he isn’t around he leaves an awful hole, doesn’t he?” — Clarence
2. “Remember, no man is a failure who has friends.” — Clarence
3. “You see George, you really had a wonderful life. Don’t you see what a mistake it would be to throw it away?” — Clarence
4. “You’ve been given a great gift, George, a chance to see what the world would be like without you.” — Clarance
5. “I want to live again.” — George Bailey
It’s A Wonderful Life quotes about life
6. “I know what I’m gonna do tomorrow, and the next day, and next year, and the year after that.” — George Bailey
7. “I couldn’t face being cooped up for the rest of my life in a shabby little office. Oh, I’m sorry Pop, I didn’t mean that, but it’s this business of nickels and dimes and spending all your life trying to figure out how to save three cents on a length of pipe. I’d go crazy. I want to do something big and something important.” — George Bailey
8. “George, I am an old man and most people hate me. But I don’t like them either, so that makes it all even.” — Mr. Potter
9. “Youth is wasted on the wrong people.” — Man on the Porch
10. “It’s deep in the race for a man to want his own roof and walls and fireplace.” — Pa Bailey
It’s A Wonderful Life quotes from George Baily lines
11. “You look a little older without your clothes on.” — George Bailey
12. “I’m a rich tourist today. How about driving me home in style?” — George Bailey
13. “What do you think I am, a dictionary?” — George Bailey
14. “What’s a pretty girl like you doing marrying this two-headed brother of mine?” — George Bailey
15. “Look, we’re still in business! We’ve still got two bucks left!” — George Bailey
16. “I wish I had a million dollars…hot dog!” — George Bailey
17. “And all’s fair in love and war.” — George Bailey
18. “What is it you want, Mary? What do you want? You want the moon? Just say the word, and I’ll throw a lasso around it and pull it down.” — George Bailey
19. “Isn’t it wonderful? I’m going to jail!” — George Bailey
20. “I wouldn’t live in it as a ghost.” — George Bailey
21. “This is a very interesting situation!” — George Bailey
22. “A man doesn’t get in a situation like this every day.” — George Bailey
23. “I’ll give you the moon, Mary.” — George Bailey
More It’s A Wonderful Life quotes from George Baily
24. “You sit around here and you spin your little webs and you think the whole world revolves around you and your money. Well, it doesn’t, Mr. Potter. In the whole vast configuration of things, I’d say you were nothing but a scurvy little spider!” — George Bailey
25. “You call this a happy family? Why do we have to have all these kids?” — George Bailey
26. “Dear Father in Heaven, I’m not a praying man, but if you’re up there and you can hear me, show me the way.” — George Bailey
27. “Hey, you’re wonderful!” — George Bailey
28. “They’re cheering us. We must be good.” — George Bailey
29. “Oh, hot dog!” — George Bailey
30. “If it wasn’t me talking, I’d say you were the prettiest girl in town.” — George Bailey
31. “A pox upon me for a clumsy lout.” — George Bailey
32. “Mary Hatch, why in the world did you ever marry a guy like me?” — George Bailey
33. “Well, you look about the kind of angel I’d get. Sort of a fallen angel, aren’t you? What happened to your wings?” — George Bailey
34. “Hello, Bedford Falls! Merry Christmas! Merry Christmas, movie house! Merry Christmas, Emporium! Merry Christmas, you wonderful old Building and Loan! Hey! Merry Christmas, Mr. Potter!” — George Bailey
35. “I’m shakin’ the dust of this crummy little town off my feet and I’m gonna see the world. Italy, Greece, the Parthenon, the Colosseum. Then, I’m comin’ back here to go to college and see what they know. And then I’m gonna build things. I’m gonna build airfields, I’m gonna build skyscrapers a hundred stories high, I’m gonna build bridges a mile long…” — George Bailey
36. “Do you know how long it takes a working man to save $5,000? Just remember this, Mr. Potter, that this rabble you’re talking about… they do most of the working and paying and living and dying in this community. Well, is it too much to have them work and pay and live and die in a couple of decent rooms and a bath? Anyway, my father didn’t think so. People were human beings to him. But to you, a warped, frustrated old man, they’re cattle. Well in my book, my father died a much richer man than you’ll ever be!” — George Bailey
37. “That a boy Clarence!” — George Bailey
More memorable It’s A Wonderful Life quotes
38. “Every time a bell rings, an angel gets his wings.” — Zuzu Bailey
39. “No, we don’t use money in Heaven.” — Clarence
40. “But ideals without common sense can ruin this town.” — Mr. Potter
41. “George Bailey, whose ship has just come in. Provided he has enough brains to climb aboard.” — Mr. Potter
42. “Why don’t you kiss her instead of talking her to death.” — Man on the Porch
43. “Remember the night we broke some windows in this old house? This is what I wished for.” — Mary Bailey
44. “Well, I’ve got eyes haven’t I?” — Ma Bailey
45. “This old thing? Why I only wear it when I don’t care how I look.” — Violet Bick
46. “I think I got a date. But, uh, stick around fellows, just in case.” — Violet Bick
47. “I’ve been saving this money for a divorce if ever I get a husband.” — Annie
48. “Is this the ear you can’t hear on? (She whispers in George’s bad ear) George Bailey, I’ll love you ’til the day I die.” — Mary Bailey
49. “A toast to my big brother George: The richest man in town.” — Harry Bailey
50. “I owe everything to George Bailey. Help him, dear Father.” — Mr. Emil Gower
Hot dog! Didn’t you just love those It’s A Wonderful Life quotes?
It’s A Wonderful Life is so touching as a film because of how relatable it is. Just like George, it is so easy to get caught up in the negative challenges going on in our life that it is hard to appreciate or even notice the positive aspects.
Life is all about perspective. Even if you haven’t accomplished all of your dreams yet, that doesn’t mean you never will. Remember, it’s about the journey, not the destination — so enjoy the road!
Don’t be in a rush to get things done, but enjoy your time instead. Take time to spend with your friends and family, because, just like Clarence said, “No man is a failure who has friends.”
Let us know your favorite It’s A Wonderful Life quote in the comments below!
April 12, 2021 7:00 AM EST