Enjoy these Jerry Garcia quotes from the member of the Grateful Dead.
Jerry Garcia was born in San Francisco, CA in 1942 and passed away in 1995 at the young age of 53.
Jerry Garcia was an extremely talented musician.
In particular, he was a great guitarist and is perceived as one of the greatest guitar players of all time.
Although he did not want the title, Jerry Garcia was often seen as the “leader” of the Grateful Dead.
He had natural charisma and was always good for a quote.
After the Grateful Dead, Jerry Garcia went on to lead or play in many other bands or duos and even did some solo work.
Enjoy these Jerry Garcia quotes!
Don’t forget to also check out these Stevie Nicks quotes from the singer/songwriter.
If you enjoy this article, check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily motivation.
If you want more motivational quotes, check out our motivational quotes category page.
Wise Jerry Garcia quotes
1. “Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil.” – Jerry Garcia
You will also enjoy our article on Terminator quotes.
2. “Nothing left to do but smile.” – Jerry Garcia
3. “If the thunder don’t get ya then the lightning will.” – Jerry Garcia
4. “Once in a while, you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look it right.” – Jerry Garcia
5. “Every mind is at least as heavy of mine.” – Jerry Garcia
6. “You ain’t gonna learn what you don’t wanna know.” – Jerry Garcia
7. “You do not merely want to be considered just the best of the best. You want to be considered the only one who does what you do.” – Jerry Garcia
8. “Every silver lining has a touch of grey.” – Jerry Garcia
9. “All I know is, if you listen to society, you’ll never get anywhere!” – Jerry Garcia
10. “If we had any nerve at all, if we had any real balls as a society, or whatever you need, whatever quality you need, real character, we would make an effort to really address the wrongs in this society, righteously.” – Jerry Garcia
Jerry Garcia quotes about life
11. “We would all like to be able to live an uncluttered life, a simple life, a good life.” – Jerry Garcia
12. “We’re involved in a society which is undergoing some really weird changes now.” – Jerry Garcia
13. “I read somewhere that 77 percent of all the mentally ill live in poverty. Actually, I’m more intrigued by the 23 percent who are apparently doing quite well for themselves.” – Jerry Garcia
14. “Run faster, jump higher, reach farther, and you’ll always win!” – Jerry Garcia
15. “Some things may work, but they definitely won’t work every time. Some things may work at various times.” – Jerry Garcia
16. “The alternate media are becoming important and viable alternatives to playing live. Records, videos, that kind of thing. They’re going to start to count for something. Because there’s only a limited amount of us-time available to us.” – Jerry Garcia
17. “You need to have many points of reference; many places to touch down and make contact with.” – Jerry Garcia
18. “The pursuit of happiness is such a large of concept.” – Jerry Garcia
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of the pursuit of happiness quotes that will make you smile.
Jeremy Garcia quotes about music
19. “You have to get past the idea that music has to be one thing. To be alive in America is to hear all kinds of music constantly: radio, records, churches, cats on the street, everywhere music. And with records, the whole history of music is open to everyone who wants to hear it.” – Jerry Garcia
20. “In folk music, I’ve always been fond of the fragment. The song that has one verse. And you don’t know anything about the characters, you don’t know what they’re doing, but they’re doing something important. I love that. I’m really a sucker for that kind of song.” – Jerry Garcia
21. “Listen to the river sing sweet songs to rock my soul.” – Jerry Garcia
22. “It’s much too late to do anything about rock & roll now.” – Jerry Garcia
23. “Hunter can write a melody and stuff like that, but his forte is lyrics. He can write a serviceable melody to hang his lyrics on, and sometimes he comes up with something really nice.” – Jerry Garcia
24. “For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The MUSIC is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument.” – Jerry Garcia
25. “I mean, just because you’re a musician doesn’t mean all your ideas are about music. So every once in a while I get an idea about plumbing, I get an idea about city government, and they come the way they come.” – Jerry Garcia
Did you enjoy these Jerry Garcia quotes?
Now that you have had the chance to enjoy some quotes from Jerry Garcia, hopefully, you will choose to listen to some of his music.
Jerry was a very ambitious man who always had something going on.
Besides, starting or playing in bands, he contributed to other bands as a “Session musician.”
Ultimately living the Rock and Roll lifestyle cost him his life at too young of an age.
He had a serious cocaine and heroin addiction and was overweight.
Combine those serious factors with living a lifestyle of a famous musician with late nights and wild partying and unfortunately, Jerry passed away early.
Even though he is gone, his legend and much of his musical work live on.
Which of these Jerry Garcia quotes and sayings resonated with you best?
Do you have any other favorite quotes to add?
Let us know in the comment section below.