Get to know an American art icon with our Keith Haring quotes.
Keith Haring lived a life of expression, passion, and beauty.
He was an American artist whose style was influenced by the New York City graffiti scene.
As a product of this subculture, Haring shaped his art around the culture he grew up in.
Check out these Keith Haring facts:
- Much of Haring’s work focused on social activism.
- He produced more than 50 public pieces between 1982 and 1989.
- Haring drew art all over NYC and eventually had his work commissioned.
Did Keith Haring and Jean-Michel Basquiat know each other?
Keith Haring and Jean-Michel Basquiat were peers who often inspired one another.
Basquiat and Haring would hang out at the Mudd Club and Club 57 in New York City during their heyday.
Together they rubbed shoulders with the likes of Andy Warhol and other influential artists of the time.
Keith Haring and The Pop Shop
The Pop Shop was one of Haring’s dreams come true.
He built it as a safe space where artists could create, share, sell, and work.
The Pop Shop made his work accessible to the public and allowed him to generate income and create art without worrying about police or tickets.
Critics ostracized Haring for commercializing his work.
However, he scoffed at their inability to see the big picture.
He noted, “I could earn more money if I just painted a few things and jacked up the price.”
He continued, “My shop is an extension of what I was doing in the subway stations, breaking down the barriers between high and low art.”
Keith Haring and the AIDS Epidemic
My life has always been tied to Keith Haring’s.
Haring was diagnosed with AIDS in 1988; I lost my mother to AIDS in 1988.
My birthday is February 13, and Haring’s death date is February 16.
I remember seeing his work as a child and being drawn to it for reasons I could not explain.
Perhaps his art was speaking directly to my young heart.
To learn more, check out our Keith Haring quotes below.
Short Kieth Haring quotes about art
Keith did not need many words to describe art.
1. “Art is for everybody.” — Keith Haring
2. “Art is not a thing; it is a way.” — Keith Haring
3. “Art is the universal language.” — Keith Haring
4. “I don’t believe in art as an elitist activity.” — Keith Haring
5. “Art should be something that liberates your soul.” — Keith Haring
The top Keith Haring quotes about expression and feelings
Keith opens up about how art and expression are forever intertwined.
6. “I don’t think art is propaganda.” — Keith Haring
7. “The lines I draw are an expression of my innermost feelings.” — Keith Haring
8. “[Art] provokes the imagination and encourages people to go further.” — Keith Haring
9. “I am interested in making art that can be experienced and understood by everyone.” — Keith Haring
10. “I don’t think that graffiti is vandalism; I think it’s a beautiful form of self-expression.” — Keith Haring
The best Keith Haring quotes about seeing with new eyes
Haring was poetic and artistic.
11. “I’m not interested in the didactic.” — Keith Haring
12. “My work is not about form. It’s about seeing.” — Keith Haring
13. “I’m not really sure what social message my art carries, if any.” — Keith Haring
14. “Art is nothing if you don’t reach every segment of the people.” — Keith Haring
15. “I’m excited about seeing things, and I’m interested in the way I think other people see things.” — Keith Haring
Famous Keith Haring quotes about what makes each one of us special
We are all unique, and Keith Haring loved that about humanity.
16. “My contribution to the world is my ability to draw.” — Keith Haring
17. “The most important thing in life is to remember the importance of life.” — Keith Haring
18. “I wanted to work in the street because I wanted to reach the people.” — Keith Haring
19. “I am interested in art as a means of living a life; not as a means of making a living.” — Keith Haring
20. “I will draw as much as I can for as many people as I can for as long as I can.” — Keith Haring
Keith Haring quotes and sayings to live by
Let’s close our list with some introspective quotes from Keith.
21. “The public needs art.” — Keith Haring
22. “It is the responsibility of a ‘self-proclaimed artist’ to realize the public needs art. — Keith Haring
23. “Art should be something that stimulates the imagination and encourages people to think and question.” — Keith Haring
24. “It is the responsibility of the ‘self-proclaimed artist to make bourgeois art for a few and ignore the masses.” — Keith Haring
25. “Art is one of the last areas that is totally within the realm of the human individual and can’t be copied or done better by a machine or technology.” — Keith Haring
Gone but not forgotten
Haring passed away decades ago, but his work lives on.
His passion continues to inspire new generations of artists and dreamers.
What is your favorite Keith Haring quote?
Be sure to let us know in the comments below.
Check out these related lifestyle articles:
Do you think that life imitates art, or is art imitating life? Before you answer that, read this article to understand what the phrase means.
Nothing can break you once you read these inspirational poems!
Inspirational biographies, however, provide insight into the life struggles of the rich and successful.
All of us struggle with psychological barriers at some point. They are common. Discover the psychological barriers that super successful people destroy.
Check out these related quote articles:
Rap combines rhythm and poetry, where words become weapons and stories are etched into beats.
The human spirit has an unwavering ability to overcome, as seen in these challenge quotes.
Here are our favorite funny motivational quotes about life, work, and becoming successful.
Physical and emotional pain are an undeniable part of the human experience; these pain quotes prove it.