This “art quotes” collection will make you appreciate the power and beauty of creation.
Art is an important part of our ways of living. It is a form of human expression that aims to entertain and make people happy. Great art manifests beauty and elicits strong sentiments.
Art is essential to the human spirit. It makes you think and takes you places.
When you walk by art, you have to look at it and wonder.
We feel so many things when we look at art. It brings feelings of empathy, longing, lust, desire, anger, disgust, connection, and much more.
Art says things that words just can’t say. No matter which part of the world a piece of art is from, it doesn’t need words to understand.
Besides, art lasts longer than most things. Long after you’re gone, people might long at paintings of your face and feel a connection to you.
Art is powerful because it empowers the hearts of people and helps make a difference in the world. In that respect, below is our collection of inspirational, beautiful, and thought-provoking art quotes, art sayings, and art proverbs, collected from a variety of sources over the years.
Don’t forget to also read our collection of quotes about painting, art and life.
Art quotes celebrating the power and beauty of creation
1. “The principles of true art is not to portray, but to evoke.” – Jerzy Kosinski
2. “Creativity takes courage.” – Henri Matisse
3. “You have to systematically create confusion; it sets creativity free. Everything that is contradictory creates life.” – Salvador Dalí
4. “I think being different, going against the grain of society is the greatest thing in the world.” – Elijah Wood
5. “The world always seems brighter when you’ve just made something that wasn’t there before.” – Neil Gaiman
6. “Art is not a mirror to hold up to society, but a hammer with which to shape it.” – Leon Trotsky
7. “Creativity gives hope that there can be a worthwhile idea.” – Edward de Bono
8. “Art speaks where words are unable to explain.” – Unknown
9. “The essence of all beautiful art, all great art, is gratitude.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
10. “Art is a lie that makes us realize truth.” – Pablo Picasso
Also read these Karl Lagerfeld quotes on seeing the art in your life.
Art quotes that will make you happier
11. “Art is a human activity having for its purpose the transmission to others of the highest and best feelings to which men have risen.” – Leo Tolstoy
12. “When I think of art I think of beauty. Beauty is the mystery of life. It is not in the eye it is in the mind. In our minds there is awareness of perfection.” – Agnes Martin
13. “If art is to nourish the roots of our culture, society must set the artist free to follow his vision wherever it takes him.” – John F. Kennedy
14. “Instead of worrying about what people say of you, why not spend time trying to accomplish something they will admire.” – Dale Carnegie
15. “The creative process is a process of surrender, not control.” – Julia Cameron
16. “An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way.” – Charles Bukowski
17. “When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.” – John Ruskin
18. “Art is unquestionably one of the purest and highest elements in human happiness. It trains the mind through the eye, and the eye through the mind. As the sun colors flowers, so does art color life.” – John Lubbock
19. “Personally, I experience the greatest degree of pleasure in having contact with works of art. They furnish me with happy feelings of an intensity that I cannot derive from other sources.” – Albert Einstein
20. “Art is restoration: the idea is to repair the damages that are inflicted in life, to make something that is fragmented – which is what fear and anxiety do to a person – into something whole.” – Louise Bourgeois
Don’t forget these design quotes that will boost your creativity.
Art quotes that will make you appreciate it
21. “The aim of art is to represent not the outward appearance of things, but their inward significance.” – Aristotle
22. “Art should be something that liberates your soul, provokes the imagination and encourages people to go further.” – Keith Haring
23. “Whether you succeed or not is irrelevant, there is no such thing. Making your unknown known is the important thing–and keeping the unknown always beyond you.” – Georgia O’Keeffe
24. “You cannot be all things to all people. Be unique. Be different. Give to others what you want yourself. And do what you were made to do.” – Robert Kiyosaki
25. “Our job in this life is not to shape ourselves into some ideal we imagine we ought to be, but to find out who we already are and become it.” – Steven Pressfield
26. “Art, freedom and creativity will change society faster than politics.” – Victor Pinchuk
27. “You must not fight too often with one enemy, or you will teach him all your art of war.” – Napoleon Bonaparte
28. “No difficulty can discourage, no obstacle dismay, no trouble disheartens the man who has acquired the art of being alive. Difficulties are but dares of fate, obstacles but hurdles to try his skill, troubles but bitter tonics to give him strength; and he rises higher and looms greater after each encounter with adversity.” – Ella Wheeler Wilcox
29. “Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.” – Pablo Picasso
30. “Art is about changing what we see in our everyday lives and representing it in such a way that it gives us hope.” – Kehinde Wiley
Also check out these motivating drawing quotes to speak to the artist in you.
Art quotes on its beauty
31. “A good painting to me has always been like a friend. It keeps me company, comforts and inspires.” – Hedy Lamarr
32. “Be true to yourself. Make each day a masterpiece. Help others. Drink deeply from good books. Make friendship a fine art. Build a shelter against a rainy day.” – John Wooden
33. “Art is the stored honey of the human soul, gathered on wings of misery and travail.” – Theodore Dreiser
34. “The beauty of art is that it allows you to slow down, and for a moment, things that once seemed unfamiliar become precious to you.” – Kehinde Wiley
35. “Any form of art is a form of power; it has impact, it can affect change – it can not only move us, it makes us move.” – Ossie Davis
36. “Fine art is that in which the hand, the head, and the heart of man go together.” – John Ruskin
37. “Winners have the ability to step back from the canvas of their lives like an artist gaining perspective. They make their lives a work of art – an individual masterpiece.” – Denis Waitley
38. “I believe the target of anything in life should be to do it so well that it becomes an art.” – Arsene Wenger
39. “I believe art is utterly important. It is one of the things that could save us” – Mary Oliver
40. “The object of art is not to reproduce reality, but to create a reality of the same intensity.” – Alberto Giacometti
Don’t forget to also read these Andy Warhol quotes that will inspire you to see the world differently.
Art quotes to inspire and motivate
41. “What moves men of genius, or rather what inspires their work, is not new ideas, but their obsession with the idea that what has already been said is still not enough.” – Eugene Delacroix
42. “I want to touch people with my art. I want them to say ‘he feels deeply, he feels tenderly.’” – Vincent Van Gogh
43. “To be creative means to be in love with life. You can be creative only if you love life enough that you want to enhance its beauty, you want to bring a little more music to it, a little more poetry to it, a little more dance to it.” – Osho
44. “The arts are not a way to make a living. They are a very human way of making life more bearable. Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow.” – Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
45. “Artistic talent is a gift from God and whoever discovers it in himself has a certain obligation: to know that he cannot waste this talent, but must develop it.” – Pope John Paul II
46. “Imagination does not become great until human beings, given the courage and the strength, use it to create.” – Maria Montessori
47. “To be an artist is to believe in life.” – Henry Moore
48. “Art evokes the mystery without which the world would not exist.” – René Magritte
49. “What art is, in reality, is this missing link, not the links which exist. It’s not what you see that is art; art is the gap.” – Marcel Duchamp
50. “The work of art is a scream of freedom.” – Christo
More art quotes and sayings
51. “A picture is a work of art, not because it is ‘modern,’ nor because it is ‘ancient,’ but because it is a sincere expression of human feeling.” – John F. Carlson
52. “Art is the desire of a man to express himself, to record the reactions of his personality to the world he lives in.” – Amy Lowell
53. “The object of Art is to give life a shape.” – William Shakespeare
54. “Art is the most intense mode of individualism that the world has known.” – Oscar Wilde
55. “Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.” – Scott Adams
56. “Without art, the crudeness of reality would make the world unbearable.” – George Bernard Shaw
57. “Art is the highest form of hope.” – Gerhard Richter
58. “A work of art is above all an adventure of the mind.” – Eugene Ionesco
59. “Art is a collaboration between God and the artist, and the less the artist does the better.” – Andre Gide
60. “The art of art, the glory of expression, and the sunshine of the light of letters is simplicity.” – Walt Whitman
Did you enjoy these art quotes
Art is so inspiring and important. It moves people, incites new questions and provokes excitement, curiosity, and outrage.
Art has been around us for as long as humans have existed. No matter where we are, it affects our lives in one way or another. Hopefully, the above quotes
Which of these art quotes resonated with you best? Do you have any other favorite quotes to add? Tell us in the comment section below. We would love to hear all about it.
May 5, 2019 8:15 AM EST