This art quotes collection will make you appreciate the power and beauty of creation.
Art is an important part of our ways of living.
It is a form of human expression that aims to entertain and make people happy.
You might also enjoy these related articles:
- 25 Monet Quotes for the Impressionist In You
- Renaissance Quotes on the Era of Art & Culture
- Does Life Imitate Art, or is Art Imitating Life?
Great art manifests beauty and elicits strong sentiments.
Art is essential to the human spirit.
It makes you think and takes you places.
When you walk by art, you must look at it and wonder.
We feel so many things when we look at art.
It brings feelings of empathy, longing, lust, desire, anger, disgust, connection, and much more.
Art says things that words just can’t say
No matter which part of the world a piece of art is from, it doesn’t need words to understand.
Besides, art lasts longer than most things.
Long after you’re gone, people might long at paintings of your face and feel a connection to you.
Art is powerful because it empowers people’s hearts and helps make a difference in the world.
In that respect, our collection of inspirational, beautiful, and thought-provoking art quotes, sayings, and proverbs collected from various sources over the years is below.
Check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily inspiration.
Explore our complete collection of motivational quotes here.
Art quotes celebrating the power and beauty of creation
1. “The principles of true art is not to portray, but to evoke.” – Jerzy Kosinski
You will also enjoy our article on painting Quotes.
2. “Creativity takes courage.” – Henri Matisse
You will also enjoy our article on Makeup quotes.
3. “You have to systematically create confusion; it sets creativity free. Everything that is contradictory creates life.” – Salvador Dalí
You will also enjoy our article on artsy quotes.
4. “I think being different, going against the grain of society is the greatest thing in the world.” – Elijah Wood
5. “The world always seems brighter when you’ve just made something that wasn’t there before.” – Neil Gaiman
6. “Art is not a mirror to hold up to society, but a hammer with which to shape it.” – Leon Trotsky
You will also enjoy our article on beauty quotes.
7. “Creativity gives hope that there can be a worthwhile idea.” – Edward de Bono
You will also enjoy our article on Friedrich Nietzsche quotes.
8. “Art speaks where words are unable to explain.” – Unknown
9. “The essence of all beautiful art, all great art, is gratitude.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
10. “Art is a lie that makes us realize truth.” – Pablo Picasso
Also read these Karl Lagerfeld quotes on seeing the art in your life.
Art quotes that will make you happier
11. “Art is a human activity having for its purpose the transmission to others of the highest and best feelings to which men have risen.” – Leo Tolstoy
12. “When I think of art I think of beauty. Beauty is the mystery of life. It is not in the eye it is in the mind. In our minds there is awareness of perfection.” – Agnes Martin
13. “If art is to nourish the roots of our culture, society must set the artist free to follow his vision wherever it takes him.” – John F. Kennedy
You will also enjoy our article on Macbeth quotes.
14. “Instead of worrying about what people say of you, why not spend time trying to accomplish something they will admire.” – Dale Carnegie
15. “The creative process is a process of surrender, not control.” – Julia Cameron
16. “An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way.” – Charles Bukowski
17. “When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.” – John Ruskin
18. “Art is unquestionably one of the purest and highest elements in human happiness. It trains the mind through the eye, and the eye through the mind. As the sun colors flowers, so does art color life.” – John Lubbock
19. “Personally, I experience the greatest degree of pleasure in having contact with works of art. They furnish me with happy feelings of an intensity that I cannot derive from other sources.” – Albert Einstein
20. “Art is restoration: the idea is to repair the damages that are inflicted in life, to make something that is fragmented – which is what fear and anxiety do to a person – into something whole.” – Louise Bourgeois
Don’t forget these design quotes that will boost your creativity.
Art quotes that will make you appreciate it
21. “The aim of art is to represent not the outward appearance of things, but their inward significance.” – Aristotle
22. “Art should be something that liberates your soul, provokes the imagination and encourages people to go further.” – Keith Haring
23. “Whether you succeed or not is irrelevant, there is no such thing. Making your unknown known is the important thing–and keeping the unknown always beyond you.” – Georgia O’Keeffe
24. “You cannot be all things to all people. Be unique. Be different. Give to others what you want yourself. And do what you were made to do.” – Robert Kiyosaki
If you’re enjoying this article, you might also love our collection of yellow quotes for a happy aesthetic.
25. “Our job in this life is not to shape ourselves into some ideal we imagine we ought to be, but to find out who we already are and become it.” – Steven Pressfield
26. “Art, freedom and creativity will change society faster than politics.” – Victor Pinchuk
27. “You must not fight too often with one enemy, or you will teach him all your art of war.” – Napoleon Bonaparte
28. “No difficulty can discourage, no obstacle dismay, no trouble disheartens the man who has acquired the art of being alive. Difficulties are but dares of fate, obstacles but hurdles to try his skill, troubles but bitter tonics to give him strength; and he rises higher and looms greater after each encounter with adversity.” – Ella Wheeler Wilcox
29. “Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.” – Pablo Picasso
30. “Art is about changing what we see in our everyday lives and representing it in such a way that it gives us hope.” – Kehinde Wiley
Also, check out these motivating drawing quotes to speak to the artist in you.
Art quotes on its beauty
31. “A good painting to me has always been like a friend. It keeps me company, comforts and inspires.” – Hedy Lamarr
32. “Be true to yourself. Make each day a masterpiece. Help others. Drink deeply from good books. Make friendship a fine art. Build a shelter against a rainy day.” – John Wooden
33. “Art is the stored honey of the human soul, gathered on wings of misery and travail.” – Theodore Dreiser
34. “The beauty of art is that it allows you to slow down, and for a moment, things that once seemed unfamiliar become precious to you.” – Kehinde Wiley
35. “Any form of art is a form of power; it has impact, it can affect change – it can not only move us, it makes us move.” – Ossie Davis
36. “Fine art is that in which the hand, the head, and the heart of man go together.” – John Ruskin
37. “Winners have the ability to step back from the canvas of their lives like an artist gaining perspective. They make their lives a work of art – an individual masterpiece.” – Denis Waitley
38. “I believe the target of anything in life should be to do it so well that it becomes an art.” – Arsene Wenger
39. “I believe art is utterly important. It is one of the things that could save us” – Mary Oliver
40. “The object of art is not to reproduce reality, but to create a reality of the same intensity.” – Alberto Giacometti
Don’t forget to also read these Andy Warhol quotes that will inspire you to see the world differently.
Art quotes to inspire and motivate
41. “What moves men of genius, or rather what inspires their work, is not new ideas, but their obsession with the idea that what has already been said is still not enough.” – Eugene Delacroix
42. “I want to touch people with my art. I want them to say ‘he feels deeply, he feels tenderly.’” – Vincent Van Gogh
43. “To be creative means to be in love with life. You can be creative only if you love life enough that you want to enhance its beauty, you want to bring a little more music to it, a little more poetry to it, a little more dance to it.” – Osho
44. “The arts are not a way to make a living. They are a very human way of making life more bearable. Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow.” – Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
45. “Artistic talent is a gift from God and whoever discovers it in himself has a certain obligation: to know that he cannot waste this talent, but must develop it.” – Pope John Paul II
You might also like these Yogi Berra quotes on life to make you smile.
46. “Imagination does not become great until human beings, given the courage and the strength, use it to create.” – Maria Montessori
47. “To be an artist is to believe in life.” – Henry Moore
48. “Art evokes the mystery without which the world would not exist.” – René Magritte
49. “What art is, in reality, is this missing link, not the links which exist. It’s not what you see that is art; art is the gap.” – Marcel Duchamp
50. “The work of art is a scream of freedom.” – Christo
You might also like our collection of famous poems to inspire you.
More art quotes and sayings
51. “A picture is a work of art, not because it is ‘modern,’ nor because it is ‘ancient,’ but because it is a sincere expression of human feeling.” – John F. Carlson
52. “Art is the desire of a man to express himself, to record the reactions of his personality to the world he lives in.” – Amy Lowell
53. “The object of Art is to give life a shape.” – William Shakespeare
54. “Art is the most intense mode of individualism that the world has known.” – Oscar Wilde
55. “Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.” – Scott Adams
Don’t forget to also check out these purple quotes from inspiration to fashion.
56. “Without art, the crudeness of reality would make the world unbearable.” – George Bernard Shaw
57. “Art is the highest form of hope.” – Gerhard Richter
58. “A work of art is above all an adventure of the mind.” – Eugene Ionesco
59. “Art is a collaboration between God and the artist, and the less the artist does the better.” – Andre Gide
60. “The art of art, the glory of expression, and the sunshine of the light of letters is simplicity.” – Walt Whitman
If you enjoy this article, check out our collection of pastel quotes for art lovers.
Art quotes to bring beauty to your day
61. “Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced.” –Leo Tolstoy
62. “Only through art can we emerge from ourselves and know what another person sees.” –Marcel Proust
63. “Art is a harmony parallel with nature.” –Paul Cezanna
64. “The mission of art is to represent nature not to imitate her.” –William Morris Hunt
65. “Every painting is a voyage into a sacred harbour.” –Giotto di Bondone
66. “Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time.” –Thomas Merton
67. “The business of art is to reveal the relation between man and his environment.” –D.H. Lawrence
68. “Art is the daughter of freedom.” –Friedrich Schiller
69. “Art is just another way of keeping a diary.” –Pablo Picasso
70. “What is art but a way of seeing?” –Saul Bellow
You might also like these colorful blue quotes that will delight your senses and spark creativity.
Inspiring art quotes
71. “The true work of art is but a shadow of the divine perfection.” -Michelangelo
72. “This world is but a canvas to our imagination.” -Henry David Thoreau
73. “If you hear a voice within you say ‘you cannot paint,’ then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced.” -Vincent Van Gogh
74. “To send light into the darkness of men’s hearts – such is the duty of the artist.” –Robert Schumann
75. “The essence of all art is to have pleasure in giving pleasure.” -Dale Carnegie
76. “A picture is a poem without words.” -Horace
77. “The job of the artist is always to deepen the mystery.” -Francis Bacon
78. “Art is a marriage of the conscious and the unconscious.” -Jean Cocteau
79. “Art is the only way to run away without leaving home.” -Twyla Tharp
80. “Art must take reality by surprise.” -Francoise Sagan
If you enjoy this article, check out our collection of craft quotes to inspire your art.
Art Quotes About Vision
81. “It’s not what you look at that matters, it’s what you see.” — Henry David Thoreau
82. “You use a glass mirror to see your face; you use works of art to see your soul.” — George Bernard Shaw
83. “The big art is our life.” — Mary Caroline Richards
84. “The beauty one can find in art is one of the pitifully few real and lasting products of human endeavor.” — Paul Getty
85. “Art is the elimination of the unnecessary.” — Pablo Picasso
86. “Art arises when the secret vision of the artist and the manifestation of nature agree to find new shapes.” — Khalil Gibran
87. “Art should be something like a good armchair in which to rest from physical fatigue.” — Henri Matisse
88. “In art as in love, instinct is enough.” — Anatole France
89. “An artist is not paid for his labor but for his vision.” — James Whistler
90. “Art is the objectification of feeling.” — Herman Melville
If you enjoy this article, check out our collection of calligraphy quotes about the handwritten art form.
Art Quotes On The Beauty Of Art
91. “Life imitates art far more than art imitates Life.” ― Oscar Wilde
92. “Art is essentially the affirmation, the blessing, and the deification of existence.” ― Friedrich Nietzsche
93. “Great art picks up where nature ends.” ― Marc Chagall
94. “Art attracts us only by what it reveals of our most secret self.” ― Alfred North Whitehead
95. “The work of art must seize upon you…carry you away.” ― Pierre-Auguste Renoir
96. “Art is like singing. Some do it better than others, but everyone can and should be doing it for their soul.” ― Barbara Mason
97. “The purpose of art is washing the dust of daily life off our souls.” ― Pablo Picasso
98. “Art remains the one way possible of speaking truth.” ― Robert Browning
99. “Illusions are art, for the feeling person, and it is by art that we live, if we do.” ― Elizabeth Bowen
100. “Art is a guarantee of sanity.” ― Louise Bourgeois
Art Quotes About The Power Of Art
101. “In art, the hand can never execute anything higher than the heart can imagine.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
102. “It is through art, and through art only, that we can realise our perfection.” ― Oscar Wilde
103. “All art deals with the absurd and aims at the simple. Good art speaks truth, indeed is truth, perhaps the only truth.” ― Iris Murdoch
104. “What is Art? It is the response of man’s creative soul to the call of the Real.” ― Rabindranath Tagore
105. “An art which isn’t based on feeling isn’t an art at all.” ― Paul Cezanne
106. “I don’t know anybody who needs a critic to find out what art is.” ― Ansel Adams
107. “A guilty conscience needs to confess. A work of art is a confession.” ― Albert Camus
108. “In art, to express the infinite one should suggest infinitely more than is expressed.” ― Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
109. “The more minimal the art, the more maximum the explanation.” ― Hilton Kramer
110. “The first essential to success in the art you practice is respect for the art itself.” ― Edward Bulwer-Lytton
Art Quotes to Inspire the Creative Spirit
111. “Art is contemplation. It is the pleasure of the mind which searches into nature and which there divines the spirit of which nature herself is animated.” — Auguste Rodin
112. “The more I look at most of the art movements, it’s all occultism, when you get down to it. The Surrealists were openly talking about being magicians.” — Alan Moore
113. “The creative act lasts but a brief moment, a lightning instant of give-and-take, just long enough for you to level the camera and to trap the fleeting prey in your little box.” — Henri Cartier-Bresson
114. “Art is not a study of positive reality, it is the seeking for ideal truth.” — John Ruskin
115. “Works of art, in my opinion, are the only objects in the material universe to possess internal order, and that is why, though I don’t believe that only art matters, I do believe in Art for Art’s sake.” — E. M. Forster
116. “Art is a discovery and development of elementary principles of nature into beautiful forms suitable for human use.” — Frank Lloyd Wright
117. “Art is the imposing of a pattern on experience.” — Alfred North Whitehead
118. “The act of creation is a kind of ritual. The origins of art and human existence lie hidden in this mystery of creation. Human creativity reaffirms and mystifies the power of ‘life.” — Keith Haring
119. “In its most limited sense, modern, art would seem to concern itself only with the technical innovations of the period.” — Edward Hopper
120. “Art consists of limitation. The most beautiful part of every picture is the frame.” — Gilbert K. Chesterton
Did you enjoy these art quotes
Art is so inspiring and important.
It moves people, incites new questions, and provokes excitement, curiosity, and outrage.
Art has been around us for as long as humans have existed.
No matter where we are, it affects our lives in one way or another.
Hopefully, the above quotes
Which of these art quotes and sayings resonated with you best?
Do you have any other favorite quotes to add?
Tell us in the comment section below.
We would love to hear all about it.