These May quotes from writers and poets all over the world will inspire you to dream again and believe in what you pursue.
Spring is the season that sparks hope and joy the most as it promises to invigorate Earth and everyone it cradles, giving back the vibrant colors that nature had lost during the long and dreary winter.
The Rebirth that Ignites Hope
The month of May and the energy it brings when the flowers start to bloom and the grass covers the Earth proudly in its lushness are truly invigorating. It makes us dream again and believe that what we aspire will come true.
Don’t forget to also check out these new month quotes to brighten your day.
May quotes from writers and poets all over the world
1. “Who first beholds the light of day / In Spring’s sweet flowery month of May / And wears an Emerald all her life / Shall be a loved and happy wife.” –Anonymous
2. “You are as welcome as the flowers in May.” – Charles Macklin
3. “Another May new buds and flowers shall bring: Ah! Why has happiness no second Spring?” – Charlotte Smith
4. “Ah! my heart is weary waiting. Waiting for the May: Waiting for the pleasant rambles Where the fragrant hawthorn brambles, Where the woodbine alternating, Scent the dewy way; Ah! my heart is weary, waiting, Waiting for the May.” – Denis Florence McCarthy
5. “May, queen of blossoms, And fulfilling flowers / With what pretty music, Shall we charm the hours? / Wilt thou have pipe and reed, Blown in the open mead? / Or to the lute give heed, In the green bowers?” – Edward Thurlow
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of flower quotes to remind you to smell the roses.
6. “The world’s favorite season is the spring. All things seem possible in May. ” – Edwin Way Teale
7. “A great difference between May and Day is the M and D! Be a good Managing Director of your life each day in May.” – Ernest Agyemang Yeboah
8. “The great earthquake shall be in the month of May; Saturn, Capricorn, Jupiter, Mercury in Taurus; Venus, also Cancer, Mars in zero.” –Nostradamus
9. “May, more than any other month of the year, wants us to feel most alive.” – Fennel Hudson
10. “Must’s a schoolroom in the month of May.” – E. E. Cummings
May quotes celebrating spring
11. “Let all thy joys be as the month of May. And all thy days be as a marriage day.” – Francis Quarles
12. “Sweet spring, full of sweet days and roses. A box where sweets compacted lie.” – George Herbert
13. “With the coming of spring, I am calm again.” – Gustav Mahler
14. “The beautiful spring came; and when Nature resumes her loveliness, the human soul is apt to revive also.” – Harriet Ann Jacobs
15. “In the marvelous month of May when all the buds were bursting, then in my heart did love arise. In the marvelous month of May when all the birds were singing, then did I reveal to her my yearning and longing.” – Heinrich Heine
16. “Weet May hath come to love us, Flowers, trees, their blossoms don; And through the blue heavens above us The very clouds move on.” – Heinrich Heine
17. “O May, sweet-voice one, going thus before, Forever June may pour her warm red wine Of life and passions, – sweeter days are thine!” – Helen Hunt Jackson
18. “I’m only wishing to go a-fishing; For this the month of May was made.” – Henry Van Dyke
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of fishing quotes that will make you want to head out on the water.
19. “Among the changing months, May stands confest the sweetest, and in fairest colors dressed.” – James Thomson
20. “But the outsider in May, the one from Briery Swamp who had never fit quite right, kept her tucked safely in her nook.” – Jodi Lynn Anderson
May quotes that ignite hope
21. “Lots of people go mad in January. Not as many as in May, of course. Nor June. But January is your third most common month for madness.” – Karen Joy Fowler
22. “The month of May is the pleasant time; its face is beautiful; the blackbird sings his full song, the living wood is his holding, the cuckoos are singing and ever singing; there is a welcome before the brightness of the summer.” – Lady Gregory
23. “When April steps aside for May, like diamonds all the rain-drops glisten; fresh violets open every day: to some new bird each hour we listen.” – Lucy Larcom
24. “My friendship with the Hitch has always been perfectly cloudless. It is a love whose month is ever May.” – Martin Amis
25. “May: the lilacs are in bloom. Forget yourself.” – Marty Rubin
26. “Lines of baled hay / Yellowing in the sunshine / Dry May day.” – Mike Garofalo
27. “But winter lingering chills the lap of May.” – Oliver Goldsmith
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of winter quotes celebrating the changes of the season.
28. “May and June. Soft syllables, gentle names for the two best months in the garden year: cool, misty mornings gently burned away with a warming spring sun, followed by breezy afternoons and chilly nights. The discussion of philosophy is over; it’s time for work to begin.” – Peter Loewer
29. “What potent blood hath modest May.” – Ralph W. Emerson
30. “A swarm of bees in May / Is worth a load of hay / A swarm of bees in June / Is worth a silver spoon / A swarm of bees in July / Is not worth a fly.” – Rhyme from England
May quotes that will inspire you to believe in your dreams again
31. “As it fell upon a day / In the merry month of May / Sitting in a pleasant shade Which a grove of myrtles made.” – Richard Barnfield
32. “May is green and pink and red” – Richard L. Ratliff
33. “I gave birth to most of them MC’s … So when it comes around to the month of May, Send me your royalty check for Mother’s Day.” – Roxanne Shante
34. “At last came the golden month of the wild folk– honey-sweet May, when the birds come back, and the flowers come out, and the air is full of the sunrise scents and songs of the dawning year.” – Samuel Scoville Jr.
35. “Tis a month before the month of May, And the spring comes slowly up this way.” – Samuel Taylor Coleridge
36. “Beneath the apple blossoms / I go a wintry way / For love that smiled in April / Is false to me in May.” – Sara Teasdale
37. “It was the month of May, the month when the foliage of herbs and trees is most freshly green, when buds ripened and blossoms appear in their fragrance and loveliness. And the month when lovers, subject to the same force which reawakens the plants, feel their hearts open again, recall past trysts and past vows, and moments of tenderness, and yearn for a renewal of the magical awareness which is love.” – Sir Thomas Malory
38. “Horticulturally, the month of May is opening night, Homecoming, and Graduation Day all rolled into one.” – Tam Mossman
39. “Hebe’s here, May is here! The air is fresh and sunny; And the miser-bees are busy Hoarding golden honey.” – Thomas Bailey Aldrich
40. “Long stormy spring-time, wet contentious April, winter chilling the lap of very May; but at length the season of summer does come.” – Thomas Carlyle
Did you see these joyous March quotes welcoming spring.
More May quotes and sayings
41. “The month of May has come, when every lusty heart beginneth to blossom, and to bring forth fruit.” – Thomas Malory
42. “Sweet April showers, Do spring May flowers.” – Thomas Tusser
43. “Hello, May. Bring us new hope and make our lives beautiful like spring flowers.” – Unknown
44. “I thought that spring must last forevermore; for I was young and loved, and it was May.” – Vera Brittain
45. “Now every field is clothed with grass, and every tree with leaves; now the woods put forth their blossoms, and the year assumes its gay attire.” – Virgil
46. “Queer things happen in the garden in May. Little faces forgotten appear, and plants thought to be dead suddenly wave a green hand to confound you.” – W. E . Johns
47. “As full of spirit as the month of May, and as gorgeous as the sun in Midsummer.” – William Shakespeare
48. “In beauty as the first of May doth the last of December.” – William Shakespeare
49. “Rough winds do shake the darling buds of May, And summer’s lease hath all too short a date.” – William Shakespeare
50. “Oh! That we two were Maying Down the stream of the soft spring breeze; Like children with violets playing, In the shade of the whispering trees.” – Charles Kingsley
If you’re enjoying these quotes, read our collection of spring quotes, celebrating the new season.
Which of these May quotes is your favorite?
The month of May is the last month of spring which captures the season in its almost perfect setting as described in these May quotes.
What’s Special About May
Aside from the perfect weather when most spring festivals and backyard parties by the patio or poolside are held, May is known for quite a few celebrations including Cinco De Mayo, May Day, Memorial Day, and of course, Mothers’ Day.
If you’re into birthstones, you already know the month of May is represented by the stone emerald which symbolizes love and success. It was also named after the Greek goddess Maia which is the Greek goddess of fertility.
How do you celebrate the month of May? Do you have any other inspirational May quotes and sayings to add? Let us know in the comment section below.
May 1, 2020 7:46 AM EST