It’s the most wonderful time of the year… for some people. These winter quotes will help you make the most out of the season.
The seasons have changed and winter with all its magic is here to enjoy. For some, this is exciting news. For others, it’s time to bundle up, hunker down and count the days until spring.
But winter has a lot to offer in all its wonder. Many view it as a time for comfort foods, reading good books under a blanket, and reflecting over a big mug of hot chocolate.
These winter quotes will help you celebrate the season if you naturally love it or help you see the beauty in it if you struggle to.
We also have tips on getting motivated in the winter, along with collections of fall quotes—be sure to check them out as the calendar turns.
Winter quotes on why you ought to love the season
1. “Winter is not a season, it’s a celebration.” – Anamika Mishra
2. “I love the scents of winter! For me, it’s all about the feeling you get when you smell pumpkin spice, cinnamon, nutmeg, gingerbread, and spruce.” –Taylor Swift
3. “I prefer winter and Fall when you feel the bone structure of the landscape–the loneliness of it, the dead feeling of winter. Something waits beneath it, the whole story doesn’t show. ” – Andrew Wyeth
4. “If winter helps you curl up and more that makes it one of the best of the seasons.” – Murray Pura
5. “Scarves, mittens, and hats are a great way to express your personality in the cold weather.” – Brad Goreski
6. “Let us love winter, for it is the spring of genius.” – Pietro Aretino
7. “Winter is the time for comfort, for good food and warmth, for the touch of a friendly hand and for a talk beside the fire: it is the time for home.” – Edith Sitwell
8. “In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy.” – William Blake
9. “When it snows, you have two choices: shovel or make snow angels.” – Unknown (see all snow quotes)
Winter quotes on the magic of the season
10. “Thank goodness for the first snow, it was a reminder–no matter how old you became and how much you’d seen, things could still be new if you were willing to believe they still mattered.” – Candace Bushnell
11. “The first snow is like the first love.” – Lara Biyuts
12. “Welcome, winter. Your late dawns and chilled breath make me lazy, but I love you nonetheless.” – Terri Guillemets
13. “To appreciate the beauty of a snowflake it is necessary to stand out in the cold.” – Aristotle
14. “In the winter she curls up around a good book and dreams away the cold.” – Ben Aaronvitch
15. “When life gives you snow, make snow angels.” – Unknown
16. “The fire is winter’s fruit.” – Arabian Proverb
17. “The color of springtime is flowers; the color of winter is in our imagination.” – Terri Guillemets
18. “Snow flurries began to fall and they swirled around people’s legs like house cats. It was magical, this snow globe world.” – Sarah Addison Allen
19. “Snow falling soundlessly in the middle of the night will always fill my heart with sweet clarity.” – Novala Takemoto
20. “Even the strongest blizzards start with a single snowflake.” – Sara Raasch
If you’re enjoying this article, you might also like our collection of October quotes about its nature and beauty.
Winter quotes to help you make the most out of the season
21. “The hard soil and four months of snow make the inhabitants of the northern temperate zone wiser and abler than his fellow who enjoys the fixed smile of the tropics. ” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
22. “What good is the warmth of summer, without the cold of winter to give it sweetness. ” – John Steinbeck
23. “Winter forms our character and brings out our best.” – Tim Allen
24. “How many lessons of faith and beauty we should lose if there were no winter in our year!” – Thomas Wentworth Higginson
25. “In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer.” – Albert Camus
26. “As winter approaches – bringing cold weather and family drama – we crave page-turners, books made for long nights and tryptophan-induced sloth.” – Sarah MacLean
27. “Spring passes and one remembers one’s innocence. Summer passes and one remembers one’s exuberance. Autumn passes and one remembers one’s reverence. Winter passes and one remembers one’s perseverance.” – Yoko Ono
Also, check out these inspirational January quotes that will elevate your perspective.
Winterquotes about the changing seasons
28. “If we had no winter, the spring would not be so pleasant: if we did not sometimes taste of adversity, prosperity would not be so welcome.” – Anne Bradstreet
29. “No winter lasts forever; no spring skips its turn.” – Hal Borland
30. “I wonder if the snow loves the trees and fields that it kisses them so gently? And then it covers them up snug, you know, with a white quilt; and perhaps it says, ‘Go to sleep, darlings, till the summer comes again.'” – Lewis Carroll
31. “They who sing through the summer must dance in the winter.” – Italian Proverb
32. “People don’t notice whether it’s winter or summer when they’re happy.” – Anton Chekhov
33. “The best thing about a British winter is the cold weather, real fires, frosty mornings. I love living somewhere that has proper seasons.” – Jane Fallon
34. “We cannot stop the winter or the summer from coming. We cannot stop the spring or the fall or make them other than they are. They are gifts from the universe that we cannot refuse. But we can choose what we will contribute to life when each arrives.” – Gary Zukhav
Don’t forget to also check out these water quotes that will get you thinking.
35. “If Winter comes, can Spring be far behind?” – Percy Bysshe Shelley
36. “It was one of those March days when the sun shines hot and the wind blows cold: when it is summer in the light, and winter in the shade.” – Charles Dickens
37. “If you think my winter is too cold, you don’t deserve my spring.” – Erin Hanson
Winter quotes to help you see the beauty in it
38. “He who marvels at the beauty of the world in summer will find equal cause for wonder and admiration in winter.” – John Burroughs
39. “Kindness is like snow. It beautifies everything it covers.” – Kahlil Gibran
40. “There’s just something beautiful about walking on snow that nobody else has walked on. It makes you believe you’re special.” – Carol Rifka Brunt
41. “If you listen carefully, the silence of snow falling is beautiful.” – Unknown
You might also like these peaceful autumn quotes that show the beauty of the season.
42. “The problem with winter sports is that – follow me closely here – they generally take place in winter.” – Dave Barry
43. “My favorite outdoor activity is going back inside.” – Unknown
44. “A lot of people like snow. I find it to be an unnecessary freezing of water.” – Carl Reiner
45. “Winter: My new excuse for drinking more coffee.” – Unknown
46. “There’s no such thing as bad weather, just soft people.” – Bill Bowerman
47. “Snowflakes are winter’s butterflies.” – Unknown
48. “A man says a lot of things in summer he doesn’t mean in winter.” – Patricia Briggs
49. “Dear Winter, I’m breaking up with you. I think it’s time I start seeing other seasons. Summer is hotter than you…” – Unknown
50. “I was just thinking, if it is really religion with these nudist colonies, they sure must turn atheists in the wintertime.” – Will Rogers
Winter quotes that make you feel cozy
51. “My old grandmother always used to say, Summer friends will melt away like summer snows, but winter friends are friends forever.” -George R.R. Martin
52. “Snow was falling,
so much like stars
filling the dark trees
that one could easily imagine
its reason for being was nothing more
― Mary Oliver
53. “Is it snowing where you are? All the world that I see from my tower is draped in white and the flakes are coming down as big as pop-corns.” -Jean Webster
54. “Winter then in its early and clear stages, was a purifying engine that ran unhindered over city and country, alerting the stars to sparkle violently and shower their silver light into the arms of bare upreaching trees.” -Mark Helprin
55. “No animal, according to the rules of animal-etiquette, is ever expected to do anything strenuous, or heroic, or even moderately active during the off-season of winter.” -Kenneth Grahame
56. “It is growing cold. Winter is putting footsteps in the meadow. What whiteness boasts that sun that comes into this wood!” -Roman Payne
57. “One need never be dull as long as one has friends to help, gardens to enjoy and books in the long winter evenings.” -D. E. Stevenson
58. “That’s what winter is: an exercise in remembering how to still yourself then how to come pliantly back to life again.” -Ali Smith
59. “But now she loved winter. Winter was beautiful “up back” – almost intolerably beautiful. Days of clear brilliance. Evenings that were like cups of glamour – the purest vintage of winter’s wine.” -L.M. Montgomery
60. “In winter, we must protect one another, keep each other warm, share our strengths.” -George R.R. Martin
Don’t forget to also read these April quotes to keep you pushing forward with positivity.
More Winter Quotes and Sayings
61. “You can’t get too much winter in the winter.” – Robert Frost
62. “The smallest snowstorm on record took place an hour ago in my back yard. It was approximately two flakes. I waited for more to fall, but that was it.” ― Richard Brautigan
63. “Winter must be cold for those with no warm memories.” – Deborah Kerr
64. “Imagine if fire extinguishers were full of snow. Imagine the fun we could have.” – Neil Hilborn
65. “You should see my corgis at sunset in the snow. It’s their finest hour. About five o’clock they glow like copper. Then they come in and lie in front of the fire like a string of sausages.” – Tasha Tudor
66. “The world was furred with late spring snow. It was the soft, thick stuff that excites you unless you are driving or half dead, packing snow already falling in caterpillars off the greening branches.” ― Marian Engel
67. “While I relish our warm months, winter forms our character and brings out our best.” – Tom Allen
68. “Winter blues are cured every time with a potato gratin paired with a roast chicken.” – Alexandra Guarnaschelli
69. “Sometimes I would like to be a child again, and other times a woman made of snow.” – Deirdre Sullivan
70. “Winter is the time of promise because there is so little to do – or because you can now and then permit yourself the luxury of thinking so.” – Stanley Crawford
What’s your favorite thing aboutwinter?
“Do you want to build a snowman?” to borrow a quote from the movie from Frozen. These quotes about winter give a complete view of the season from the cozy and magical to the deep thoughts and the funniness of those that don’t enjoy the cold. You can choose to celebrate the season by picking one, or two, or more things from the winter quotes above to participate in and enjoy.
Use the season as a time of calm reflection. Or, use it as a time to go out and enjoy the cold and snow. Either way, take time to appreciate the changing of the season because before you know it, spring will arrive in all its glory.
What’s your favorite thing about winter? Do you have any other inspirational quotes to add? Let us know in the comment section below.
April 24, 2022 5:00 AM EST