There’s no denying that Stephen King is one of the most well-known authors of our time, and these Stephen King quotes give you a feel for some of his greatest works.
What’s your favorite Stephen King novel?
If you are ready to read a book or watch a movie that will give you a good fright, there’s one author’s name that might come to mind—Stephen King. He has written over 60 novels and his works have sold over 350 million copies.
From the highschool horror story of Carrie to the gruesome twists of works like Misery and The Shining, Stephen King knows how to create stories that keep you on the edge of your seats.
Below is our collection of inspirational, wise and thought-provoking Stephen King quotes and sayings, collected from some of his greatest works.
Don’t forget to also check out our list of timeless Toni Morrison quotes collected just for you.
Stephen King quotes from The Shining
1. “Sometimes human places, create inhuman monsters.” – Stephen King
2. “Monsters are real. Ghosts are too. They live inside of us, and sometimes, they win.” – Stephen King
3. “Wendy? Darling? Light of my life. I’m not gonna hurt ya. I’m just going to bash your brains in.” – Stephen King
4. “This inhuman place makes human monsters.” – Stephen King
5. “The tears that heal are also the tears that scald and scourge.” – Stephen King
6. “The sleep of reason breeds monsters.” – Stephen King
7. “How many times, over how many years, had he—a grown man—asked for the mercy of another chance? He was suddenly so sick of himself, so revolted, that he could have groaned aloud.” – Stephen King
8. “She had never dreamed there could be so much pain in a life when there was nothing physically wrong.” – Stephen King
Stephen King quotes from Pet Cemetary
9. “And the most terrifying question of all may be just how much horror the human mind can stand and still maintain a wakeful, staring, unrelenting sanity.” – Stephen King
10. “Don’t go beyond, no matter how much you feel you need to, Doctor. The barrier was not made to be broken. Remember this: there is more power here than you know. It is old and always restless. Remember.” – Stephen King
11. “Cats were the gangsters of the animal world, living outside the law and often dying there. There were a great many of them who never grew old by the fire.” – Stephen King
12. “Hey, police? I just saw the world’s oldest, slowest kid climbing into Pleasantview Cemetery. Looked like he was dying to get in. Yeah, looked like a grave matter to me. Kidding? Oh no, I’m in dead earnest. Maybe you ought to dig into it.” – Stephen King
13. “Maybe she’ll learn something about what death really is, which is where the pain stops and the good memories begin. Not the end of life but the end of pain.” – Stephen King
14. “Death is a mystery, and burial is a secret.” – Stephen King
15. “Life sucks, then you die.” – Stephen King
16. “That lesson suggests that in the end, we can only find peace in our human lives by accepting the will of the universe.” – Stephen King
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of American Horror Story quotes that will terrify you.
Stephen King quotes from Misery
17. “I am your number one fan. There is nothing to worry about. You are going to be just fine. I am your number one fan!” – Stephen King
18. “The rain. Sometimes it gives me the blues. When you first came here, I only loved the writer part of Paul Sheldon. Now I know I love the rest of him, too. I know you don’t love me, don’t say you do. You’re beautiful, brilliant, a famous man of the world and I’m… not a movie star type. You’ll never know the fear of losing someone like you if you’re someone like me.” – Stephen King
19. “No matter how much he strained, it was a good nine inches above the tips of his fingers but he reached anyway, unable to believe Fate or God or Whoever could be so cruel.” – Stephen King
20. “Now the time has come. I put two bullets in my gun. One for me, and one for you. Oh darling, it will be so beautiful.” – Stephen King
21. “I thought you were good Paul… but you’re not good. You’re just another lying ol’ dirty birdy.” – Stephen King
22. “And don’t even think about anybody coming for you. Not the doctors, not your agent, not your family. ‘Cause I never called them. Nobody knows you’re here. You better hope nothing happens to me. Because if I die… you die.” – Stephen King
23. “Book’s almost finished, your legs are getting better. Soon you’ll be wanting to leave.” – Stephen King
24. “God came to me last night and told me your purpose for being here. I am going to help you write a new book.” – Stephen King
25. “What’s the matter? WHAT’S THE MATTER? I will tell you what’s the matter! I go out of my way for you! I do everything to try and make you happy. I feed you, I clean you, I dress you, and what thanks do I get? “Oh, you bought the wrong paper, Anne, I can’t write on this paper, Anne!” Well, I’ll get your stupid paper but you just better start showing me a little appreciation around here, Mr. MAN!” – Stephen King
Also read these Shawshank Redemption quotes from one of Stephen King’s epic works.
Stephen King quotes from Carrie
26. “High school isn’t a very important place. When you’re going you think it’s a big deal, but when it’s over nobody really thinks it was great unless they’re beered up.” – Stephen King
27. “The low bird is not picked tenderly out of the dust by its fellows; rather, it is dispatched quickly and without mercy.” – Stephen King
28. “Sorry is the Kool-Aid of human emotions. It’s what you say when you spill a cup of coffee or throw a gutter ball when you’re bowling with the girls in the league. True sorrow is as rare as true love.” – Stephen King
29. “But hardly anybody ever finds out that their actions really, actually, hurt other people! People don’t get better, they just get smarter. When you get smarter you don’t stop pulling the wings off flies, you just think of better reasons for doing it.” – Stephen King
30. “And suddenly it didn’t seem to matter anymore, nothing would matter if she could turn over, turn over and see the stars, turn over and look once and die.” – Stephen King
31. “Mind over matter in any form is a terrific drain on the body’s resources.” – Stephen King
32. “Telekinesis is the ability to move objects or to cause changes in objects by force of the mind.” – Stephen King
33. “The overall impression is one of a town that is waiting to die. It is not enough, these days, to say that Chamberlain will never be the same. It may be closer to the truth to say that Chamberlain will simply never again be.” – Stephen King
Stephen King quotes from IT
34. “We lie best when we lie to ourselves.” – Stephen King
35. “Eddie discovered one of his childhood’s great truths. Grownups are the real monsters, he thought.” – Stephen King
36. “Come on back and we’ll see if you remember the simplest thing of all – how it is to be children, secure in belief and thus afraid of the dark.” – Stephen King
37. “Everything’s a lot tougher when it’s for real. That’s when you choke. When it’s for real.” – Stephen King
38. “And George saw the clown’s face change. What he saw then was terrible enough to make his worst imaginings of the thing in the cellar look like sweet dreams; what he saw destroyed his sanity in one clawing stroke.” – Stephen King
39. “Politics always change. Stories never do.” – Stephen King
40. “Want a balloon?” – Stephen King
41. “You pay for what you get, you own what you pay for… and sooner or later whatever you own comes back home to you.” – Stephen King
Stephen King quotes from The Green Mile
42. “Like some dogs: kick them once and they never trust you again, no matter how nice you are to them.” – Stephen King
43. “Sometimes there is absolutely no difference at all between salvation and damnation.” – Stephen King
44. “The world turns, that’s all. You can hold on and turn with it, or stand up to protest and be spun right off.” – Stephen King
45. “We have once again succeeded in destroying what we could not create.” – Stephen King
46. “Time takes it all, whether you want it to or not.” – Stephen King
47. “On the day of my judgment, when I stand before God, and He asks me why did I kill one of his true miracles, what am I gonna say? That it was my job? My job?” – Stephen King
48. “We each owe a death, there are no exceptions, I know that, but sometimes, oh God, the Green Mile is so long.” – Stephen King
49. “It was sweet and lovely, that smile, perhaps the more so because it wasn’t complicated by much in the way of thought.” – Stephen King
50. “Rightly tired of the pain İ hear and feel, boss… where we’s comin from or goin to or why… If İ could end it, İ would. But İ can’t.” – Stephen King
More Stephen King quotes and sayings
51. “The scariest moment is always just before you start.” – Stephen King
52. “You can, you should, and if you’re brave enough to start, you will.” – Stephen King
53. “Remember, Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies.” – Stephen King
54. “Amateurs sit and wait for inspiration, the rest of us just get up and go to work.” – Stephen King
55. “The place where you made your stand never mattered. Only that you were there…and still on your feet.” – Stephen King
56. “There’s no harm in hoping for the best as long as you’re prepared for the worst.” – Stephen King
57. “People who try hard to do the right thing always seem mad.” – Stephen King
58. “Fault always lies in the same place: with him weak enough to lay blame.” – Stephen King
59. “The most important things are the hardest to say.” – Stephen King
60. “We are going to fight. We are going to be hurt. And in the end, we will stand.” – Stephen King
Did you enjoy these Stephen King quotes?
If you’re looking for a good scare or a story with a twist, then finding a Stephen King novel is a good place to start. While many people associate these titles with the films, they all started from the written work of King.
He has a way of playing with the imagination and creating scenarios that keep you guessing from start to finish. And even if you’ve read the book or watched the movie in the past, they make great stories to enjoy time and time again.
So, whether you want to get lost in a good book or sit on the couch with a blanket and popcorn, the titles above are just what you’re looking for.
Which of these thoughtful Stephen King quotes resonated with you best? Do you have any other inspirational quotes to add? Let us know in the comment section below.
January 23, 2020 7:00 AM EST