These August quotes share the joys of summer, but they can also be applied towards life.
August marks the end of summer. The changing of seasons is often considered a metaphor for big transitions in life. The four seasons are compared to the four stages of life – spring is infancy, summer is adolescence, autumn is adulthood, and winter is old age.
What do you like about August?
Transitioning from childhood to adulthood can be difficult. You spent the summer (your childhood) playing outside and being carefree, and now, suddenly, you’re off to college, you have a real-world job, you’re getting married, you’re buying a house, you’re having a baby. Years are passing by quicker, and you have a feeling that just as suddenly as August came, it will soon be December.
While the transition from summer to fall is often compared to the stages of life, it can be a metaphor for any disruption in the status quo. Maybe it’s a move, a divorce, a new job, a new best friend, the death of someone close. Whatever the case, and whether we like it or not, transitions are a continuous part of life.
Below is our collection of inspirational August quotes and sayings, collected from various sources over the years.
Also check out these June quotes and sayings that will have you falling in love with summertime all over again.
August quotes for a hot summer
1. “The month of August had turned into a griddle where the days just lay there and sizzled.” – Sue Monk Kidd
2. “The first week of August hangs at the very top of summer, the top of the live-long year, like the highest seat of a Ferris wheel when it pauses in its turning. The weeks that come before are only a climb from balmy spring, and those that follow a drop to the chill of autumn, but the first week of August is motionless, and hot. It is curiously silent, too, with blank white dawns and glaring noons, and sunsets smeared with too much color.” – Natalie Babbitt
3. “August, the summer’s last messenger of misery, is a hollow actor.” – Henry Rollins
4. “Hot weather opens the skull of a city, exposing its white brain, and its heart of nerves, which sizzle like the wires inside a lightbulb. And there exudes a sour extra-human smell that makes the very stone seem flesh-alive, webbed and pulsing.” – Truman Capote
5. “The days grew long and hot. Thick towers of swirling black clouds brought rain, and the brown stems glistened in the perpetual twilight that dwelled beneath the canopy.” – Rick Yancey
6. “Every year, August lashes out in volcanic fury, rising with the din of morning traffic, its great metallic wings smashing against the ground, heating the air with ever-increasing intensity.” – Henry Rollins
7. “In August, an inescapable blanket of heat settled over Paducah, the last gasping breath of summer roaring its weight out over the populace.” – Kelsey Brickl
8. “The morning heat had already soaked through the walls, rising up from the floor like a ghost of summers past.” – Erik Tomblin
August quotes about the joys of summer
9. “It was rapture enough just to sit there beside him in silence, alone in the summer night in the white splendor of moonshine, with the wind blowing down on them out of the pine woods.” – L.M. Montgomery
10. “If it could only be like this always – always summer, always alone, the fruit always ripe.” – Evelyn Waugh
11. “I have only to break into the tightness of a strawberry, and I see summer – its dust and lowering skies.” – Toni Morrison
12. “Summer afternoon—summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language.” – Henry James
13. “It is easy to forget now, how effervescent and free we all felt that summer.” – Anna Godberson
14. “Everything good, everything magical happens between the months of June and August.”—Jenny Han
15. “August of another summer, and once again I am drinking the sun and the lilies again are spread across the water.” – Mary Oliver
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of Mary Oliver quotes that will give you a brand new perspective on life.
16. “Did you know that a bee dies after he stings you? And that there’s a star called Aldebaran? And that around the tenth of August, any year, you can look up in the sky at night and see dozens and dozens of shooting stars?” – Elizabeth Enright
17. “August is ripening grain in the fields blowing hot and sunny, the scent of tree-ripened peaches, of hot buttered sweet corn on the cob. Vivid dahlias fling huge tousled blossoms through gardens and joe-pye-weed dusts the meadow purple.” – Jean Hersey
18. “August is the month of the high-sailing hawks. The hen hawk is the most noticeable. He likes the haze and calm of these long, warm days. He is a bird of leisure and seems always at his ease. How beautiful and majestic are his movements!” – John Burroughs
19. “Breathe the sweetness that hovers in August.” – Denise Levertov
20. “In the long dusks of summer, we walked the suburban streets through scents of maple and cut grass, waiting for something to happen.” – Steven Millhauser
21. “When summer opens, I see how fast it matures, and fear it will be short; but after the heats of July and August, I am reconciled, like one who has had his swing, to the cool of autumn.” – Ralph Waldo Emmerson
22. “When people went on vacation, they shed their home skins, thought they could be a new person.” – Aimee Friedman
23. “Now the windows, blinded by the glare of the empty square, had fallen asleep. The balconies declared their emptiness to heaven; the open doorways smelt of coolness and wine.” – Bruno Schulz
Also check out these beautiful quotes about the Month of March.
August quotes about the end of summer
24. “August rain: the best of the summer gone, and the new fall not yet born. The odd uneven time.” ―Sylvia Plath
25. “If June was the beginning of a hopeful summer, and July the juice middle, August was suddenly feeling like the bitter end.” – Sarah Dessen
26. “This morning, the sun endures past dawn. I realize that it is August: the summer’s last stand.” – Sara Baume
27. “One evening in August you have an errand outdoors, and all of a sudden it’s pitch-black. It is still summer, but the summer is no longer alive.” – Tove Jansson
28. “Caught in the doldrums of August we may have regretted the departing summer, having sighed over the vanished strawberries and all that they signified.” – Denis Mackail
29. “The crickets felt it was their duty to warn everybody that summertime cannot last forever. Even on the most beautiful days in the whole year – the days when summer is changing into autumn – the crickets spread the rumor of sadness and change.” – E.B. White
30. “August was nearly over – the month of apples and falling stars, the last care-free month for the school children. The days were not hot, but sunny and limpidly clear – the first sign of advancing autumn.” – Victor Nekrasov
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of Autumn quotes that show the beauty of the season.
31. “August is that last flicker of fun and heat before everything fades and dies.” – Rasmenia Massoud
32. “Less than a month ago all of August still stretched before us – long and golden and reassuring, like an endless period of delicious sleep.” – Lauren Oliver
33. “That August time it was delight. To watch the red moons wane to white.” – Algernon Charles Swinburne
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to check out our collection of summer quotes to celebrate the season of outdoor exploration and fun.
August quotes that apply to life
34. “In June we picked the clover, and sea-shells in July: There was no silence at the door, No word from the sky. A hand came out of August and flicked his life away: We had not time to bargain, mope, Moralize, or pray.” – Cecil Day-Lewis
35. “One day you discover you are alive. Explosion! Concussion! Illumination! Delight! You laugh, you dance around, you shout. But, not long after, the sun goes out. Snow falls, but no one sees it, on an August noon.” – Ray Bradbury
36. “August is a gentle reminder for not doing a single thing from your new year resolution for seven months and not doing it for next five.” – Crestless Wave
37. “August creates as she slumbers, replete and satisfied.” – Joseph Wood Krutch
38. “Summer, after all, is a time when wonderful things can happen to quiet people. For those few months, you’re not required to be who everyone thinks you are, and that cut-grass smell in the air and the chance to dive into the deep end of a pool give you a courage you don’t have the rest of the year. You can be grateful and easy, with no eyes on you, and no past. Summer just opens the door and lets you out.” – Deb Caletti
39. “The summer stretched out the daylight as if on a rack. Each moment was drawn out until its anatomy collapsed. Time broke down. The day progressed in an endless sequence of dead moments.” – China Miéville
40. “Childhood is June, and old age is August” – Rick Bass
41. “Life, now, was unfolding before me, constantly and visibly, like the flowers of summer that drop fanlike petals on eternal soil.” – Roman Payne
42. “All in all, it was a never to be forgotten summer — one of those summers which come seldom into any life, but leave a rich heritage of beautiful memories in their going — one of those summers which, in a fortunate combination of delightful weather, delightful friends and delightful doing, come as near to perfection as anything can come in this world.” – L.M. Montgomery
43. “I bet deep down you still wish your mom would take you clothes shopping every August for the new school year.” – Bridgette Willard
44. “In the summer, the days were long, stretching into each other. Out of school, everything was on pause and yet happening at the same time, this collection of weeks when anything was possible.” – Sarah Dessen
45. “At these times, the things that troubled her seemed far away and unimportant: all that mattered was the hum of the bees and the chirp of birdsong, the way the sun gleamed on the edge of a blue wildflower, the distant bleat and clink of grazing goats.” – Alison Croggon
Have you seen these new month quotes and sayings that inspire new beginnings?
August quotes that are inspirational
46. “Rest is not idleness, and to lie sometimes on the grass under trees on a summer’s day, listening to the murmur of the water, or watching the clouds float across the sky, is by no means a waste of time.” ―John Lubbock
47. “When the sun is shining, I can do anything; no mountain is too high, no trouble too difficult to overcome.” – Wilma Rudolph
48. “In summer, the song sings itself.” – William Carlos Williams
49. “There shall be eternal summer in the grateful heart.” – Celia Thaxter
50. “Remember to be gentle with yourself and others. We are all children of chance and none can say why some fields will blossom while others lay brown beneath the August sun.” – Kent Nerburn
Which is your favorite season?
Summer is fun. It is a season that is all about playing. The end of August can be a sad time because we know it means that summer will soon be over. But fall has its perks too. Sweater weather, color-changing trees, pumpkin spice lattes (if you’re into that sort of thing), hot coco, all of these are blessings that autumn offers us.
No matter where you’ve been in life, if things are changing, consider the thought that it may be a good thing. What blessings can come from this change? What new things will you learn and experience? If nothing comes to mind, think harder. There is always a silver lining.
Did you enjoy these August quotes and sayings? Let us know your favorite in the comment section below.
February 29, 2020 7:37 AM EST