August Quotes Celebrating the Sunday of Summer
September 20, 2022 5:00 AM EST
These August quotes share the joys of summer, but we can also apply them to life.
August marks the end of summer and the changing of the seasons.
We often consider the changing of seasons a metaphor for big transitions in life.
Share your favorite August quote with us in the comment section below.
What are the benefits of reading these August quotes?
These August quotes will make the perfect quotes for:
- a report about summer
- a monthly newsletter
- an inscription in a card for people with an August birthday
We often compare the four seasons to the four stages of life—spring is infancy, summer is adolescence, autumn is adulthood, and winter is old age.
Transitioning from childhood to adulthood can be difficult.
You spent the summer (your childhood) playing outside and being carefree, and now, suddenly, you’re off to college, you have a real-world job, you’re getting married, you’re buying a house, you’re having a baby.
Years are passing by quicker, and you have a feeling that just as suddenly as August came, it will soon be December.
While the transition from summer to fall is often compared to the stages of life, it can be a metaphor for any disruption in the status quo.
Maybe it’s a move, a divorce, a new job, a new best friend, or the death of someone close.
Whatever the case, and whether or not we like it, transitions are a continuous part of life.
Below is our collection of inspirational August quotes and sayings collected from various sources over the years.
Also, check out these June quotes and sayings that will make you fall in love with summer again.
Check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily inspiration.
Check out our inspirational quotes category page for more inspirational life quotes.
August quotes for a hot summer
1. “The month of August had turned into a griddle where the days just lay there and sizzled.” – Sue Monk Kidd
You will also enjoy our article on Sunday quotes.
2. “If it could only be like this always – always summer, always alone, the fruit always ripe.” – Evelyn Waugh
You will also enjoy our article on Joe Dirt quotes.
3. “August, the summer’s last messenger of misery, is a hollow actor.” – Henry Rollins
4. “Everything good, everything magical happens between the months of June and August.”—Jenny Han
5. “It is easy to forget now, how effervescent and free we all felt that summer.” – Anna Godberson
6. “If it could only be like this always–always summer, always alone, the fruit always ripe.” – Evelyn Waugh
7. “A man says a lot of things in summer he doesn’t mean in winter.” ― Patricia Briggs
8. “Summer’s lease hath all too short a date.” – William Shakespeare
9. “Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it.” – Russell Baker
10. “The end-of-summer winds make people restless.” – Sebastian Faulks
August quotes about the joys of summer
11. “It’s a sure sign of summer if the chair gets up when you do.” – Walter Winchell
12. “People don’t notice whether it’s winter or summer when they’re happy.” – Anton Chekhov
13. “Deep summer is when laziness finds respectability.” – Sam Keen
14. “Here is the ghost of summer that lived for us. Here is a promise of summer to be.” – William E. Henley
15. “Breathe the sweetness that hovers in August.” – Denise Levertov
16. “August is that last flicker of fun and heat before everything fades and dies.” – Rasmenia Massoud
17. “That August time it was delight. To watch the red moons wane to white.” – Algernon Charles Swinburne
18. “August creates as she slumbers, replete and satisfied.” – Joseph Wood Krutch
19. “Summer, after all, is a time when wonderful things can happen to quiet people.” – Deb Caletti
20. “Childhood is June, and old age is August” – Rick Bass
Also, check out these beautiful quotes about the Month of March.
August quotes about the end of summer
21. “Your August can be as memorable as the leaving summer.” – Jennifer Lewis
22. “August is a time of growing up, of forgotten forevers, full of the sweetest intent.” – Meka Boyle
23. “Don’t let your August be four weeks of feeling sad that fall is right around the corner.” – Jasmine Vaughn-Hall
24. “Write about winter in the summer.” – Annie Dillard
25. “In summer, the song sings itself.” – William Carlos Williams
26. “There shall be eternal summer in the grateful heart.” – Celia Thaxter
27. “It is best to be born in April or August when the life-giving Sun is in its exaltation.” — Max Heindel
28. “August is the border between summer and autumn. It is the most beautiful month I know.” – Tove Jansson
29. “Every summer my mother would say, ‘Get that job and hold on to it until August 30.'” ― Chris Matthews
30. “In August most of Europe goes on holiday.” ― Tony Visconti
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of Autumn quotes that show the beauty of the season.
August quotes that apply to life
31. “Summer afternoon—summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language.” – Henry James
32. “I have only to break into the tightness of a strawberry, and I see summer – its dust and lowering skies.” – Toni Morrison
33. “Less than a month ago all of August still stretched before us – long and golden and reassuring, like an endless period of delicious sleep.” – Lauren Oliver
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to check out our collection of summer quotes to celebrate the season of outdoor exploration and fun.
34. “In June we picked the clover, and sea-shells in July: There was no silence at the door, No word from the sky. A hand came out of August and flicked his life away: We had not time to bargain, mope, Moralize, or pray.” – Cecil Day-Lewis
35. “One day you discover you are alive. Explosion! Concussion! Illumination! Delight! You laugh, you dance around, you shout. But, not long after, the sun goes out. Snow falls, but no one sees it, on an August noon.” – Ray Bradbury
36. “August is a gentle reminder for not doing a single thing from your new year resolution for seven months and not doing it for the next five.” – Crestless Wave
37. “August of another summer, and once again I am drinking the sun and the lilies again are spread across the water.” – Mary Oliver
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of Mary Oliver quotes that will give you a brand new perspective on life.
38. “August is the month of the high-sailing hawks. The hen hawk is the most noticeable. He likes the haze and calm of these long, warm days. He is a bird of leisure and seems always at his ease. How beautiful and majestic are his movements!” – John Burroughs
39. “The summer stretched out the daylight as if on a rack. Each moment was drawn out until its anatomy collapsed. Time broke down. The day progressed in an endless sequence of dead moments.” – China Miéville
40. “In the long dusks of summer, we walked the suburban streets through scents of maple and cut grass, waiting for something to happen.” – Steven Millhauser
Have you seen these new month quotes and sayings that inspire new beginnings?
August quotes that are inspirational
41. “Life, now, was unfolding before me, constantly and visibly, like the flowers of summer that drop fanlike petals on eternal soil.” – Roman Payne
42. “All in all, it was a never to be forgotten summer — one of those summers which come seldom into any life, but leave a rich heritage of beautiful memories in their going.” – L.M. Montgomery
43. “I bet deep down you still wish your mom would take you clothes shopping every August for the new school year.” – Bridgette Willard
44. “In the summer, the days were long, stretching into each other. Out of school, everything was on pause and yet happening at the same time, this collection of weeks when anything was possible.” – Sarah Dessen
45. “At these times, the things that troubled her seemed far away and unimportant: all that mattered was the hum of the bees and the chirp of birdsong, the way the sun gleamed on the edge of a blue wildflower, the distant bleat and clink of grazing goats.” – Alison Croggon
46. “Rest is not idleness, and to lie sometimes on the grass under trees on a summer’s day, listening to the murmur of the water, or watching the clouds float across the sky, is by no means a waste of time.” ―John Lubbock
47. “When the sun is shining, I can do anything; no mountain is too high, no trouble too difficult to overcome.” – Wilma Rudolph
48. “When summer opens, I see how fast it matures, and fear it will be short; but after the heats of July and August, I am reconciled, like one who has had his swing, to the cool of autumn.” – Ralph Waldo Emmerson
49. “When people went on vacation, they shed their home skins, thought they could be a new person.” – Aimee Friedman
50. “Remember to be gentle with yourself and others. We are all children of chance and none can say why some fields will blossom while others lay brown beneath the August sun.” – Kent Nerburn
Summer Quotes To Remember As You Transition To Fall
51. “August is the slow, gentle month that stretches out the longest across the span of a year. It yawns and lingers on with the light in its palms.” — Victoria Erickson
52. “Every summer, around late July and into August, I find myself in Europe, performing at any festival that will have me.” — Henry Rollins
53. “If June was the beginning of a hopeful summer, and July the juice middle, August was suddenly feeling like the bitter end.” – Sarah Dessen
54. “Now the windows, blinded by the glare of the empty square, had fallen asleep. The balconies declared their emptiness to heaven; the open doorways smelt of coolness and wine.” – Bruno Schulz
55. “August brings into sharp focus and a furious boil everything I’ve been listening to in the late spring and summer.” – Henry Rollins
56. “August rain: the best of the summer gone, and the new fall not yet born. The odd uneven time.” ―Sylvia Plath
57. “This morning, the sun endures past dawn. I realize that it is August: the summer’s last stand.” – Sara Baume
58. “One evening in August you have an errand outdoors, and all of a sudden it’s pitch-black. It is still summer, but the summer is no longer alive.” – Tove Jansson
59. “Caught in the doldrums of August we may have regretted the departing summer, having sighed over the vanished strawberries and all that they signified.” – Denis Mackail
60. “The arrival of August means that summer is drawing to a close, and that’s exactly why it should be embraced.” – Amanda McArthur
Perfect August Quotes To Remind You About Summer
61. “Youth is in a grand flush, like the hot days of ending summer; and pleasant dreams thrall your spirit, like the smoky atmosphere that bathes the landscape of an August day.” ― Donald G. Mitchell
62. “I love the little garden in the back of my family’s brownstone in Brooklyn. Digging out there in the dirt is a joy for me, although by the time August rolls around and my roses have black spots, I need the break winter provides.” ― Siri Hustvedt
63. “Today is the first of August. It is hot, steamy and wet. It is raining. I am tempted to write a poem.” ― Sylvia Plath
64. “We used to play football on the levee, with no shirts on in the summer – August in New Orleans – and my skin would turn red.” ― Aaron Neville
65. “Take me to that island where people celebrate in the streets in August . . . Take me to Barbados.” ― Charmaine J. Forde
66. “The crickets felt it was their duty to warn everybody that summertime cannot last forever. Even on the most beautiful days in the whole year – the days when summer is changing into autumn – the crickets spread the rumor of sadness and change.” – E.B. White
67. “August was nearly over – the month of apples and falling stars, the last care-free month for the school children. The days were not hot, but sunny and limpidly clear – the first sign of advancing autumn.” – Victor Nekrasov
68. “I saw the spiders marching through the air, Swimming from tree to tree that mildewed day In latter August when the hay Came creaking to the barn.” — Robert Lowell
69. “When in still air and still in summertime A leaf has had enough of this, it seems To make up its mind to go; fine as a sage drifting in detachment down the road.” — Howard Nemerov
70. “How sociable the garden was. We ate and talked in the given light. The children put their toys to grass All the warm wakeful August night.” — Thom Gunn
Funny August Quotes
71. “Did you know that a bee dies after he stings you? And that there’s a star called Aldebaran? And that around the tenth of August, any year, you can look up in the sky at night and see dozens and dozens of shooting stars?” – Elizabeth Enright
72. “August is ripening grain in the fields blowing hot and sunny, the scent of tree-ripened peaches, of hot buttered sweet corn on the cob. Vivid dahlias fling huge tousled blossoms through gardens and joe-pye-weed dusts the meadow purple.” – Jean Hersey
73. “A perfect summer day is when the sun is shining, the breeze is blowing, the birds are singing, and the lawnmower is broken.” – James Dent
74. “Every year, August lashes out in volcanic fury, rising with the din of morning traffic, its great metallic wings smashing against the ground, heating the air with ever-increasing intensity.” – Henry Rollins
75. “In August, an inescapable blanket of heat settled over Paducah, the last gasping breath of summer roaring its weight out over the populace.” – Kelsey Brickl
76. “The morning heat had already soaked through the walls, rising up from the floor like a ghost of summers past.” – Erik Tomblin
77. “It was rapture enough just to sit there beside him in silence, alone in the summer night in the white splendor of moonshine, with the wind blowing down on them out of the pine woods.” – L.M. Montgomery
78. “The first week of August hangs at the very top of summer, the top of the live-long year, like the highest seat of a Ferris wheel when it pauses in its turning.” – Natalie Babbitt
79. “The days grew long and hot. Thick towers of swirling black clouds brought rain, and the brown stems glistened in the perpetual twilight that dwelled beneath the canopy.” – Rick Yancey
80. “Hot weather opens the skull of a city, exposing its white brain, and its heart of nerves, which sizzle like the wires inside a lightbulb. And there exudes a sour extra-human smell that makes the very stone seem flesh-alive, webbed and pulsing.” – Truman Capote
August Quotes About A Hot Weather
81. “The road made wet by the water of August shines like it was cut in full moonlight.” — Pablo Neruda
82. “The paired butterflies are already yellow with August Over the grass in the West garden; They hurt me. I grow older.” — Li Bai
83. “Dry August and warm, Doth harvest no harm.” — Thomas Tusser
84. “Walking the streets of Charleston in the late afternoons of August was like walking through gauze or inhaling damaged silk.” — Pat Conroy
85. “The thing you can count on in life is that Tennessee will always be scorching hot in August.” — Ann Patchett
86. “August in Kansas City is hotter than two rats f**king in a sock.” — Ichiro Suzuki
87. “You’ll see everything from gold teeth to hood ornaments. It’s almost like Halloween during August.” — David Carson
88. “When summer gathers up her robes of glory, and like a dream of beauty glides away.” — Sarah Helen Whitman
89. “I have Vie Luxe candles in every room. In 2006 I spent the month of August in Sardinia, and the scent reminds me of the wonderful time we had.” — Tamara Mellon
90. “We looked at the venerable stream not in the vivid flush of a short day that comes and departs forever, but in the august light of abiding memories.” — Joseph Conrad
Which is your favorite season?
Summer is fun.
It is a season that is all about playing.
The end of August can be a sad time because we know it means that summer will soon be over.
But fall has its perks too.
Sweater weather, color-changing trees, pumpkin spice lattes (if you’re into that sort of thing), hot cocoa, these are blessings that autumn offers us.
No matter where you’ve been in life, if things are changing, consider the thought that it may be a good thing.
What blessings can come from this change?
What new things will you learn and experience?
If nothing comes to mind, think harder.
There is always a silver lining.
Did you enjoy these August quotes and sayings?
Let us know your favorite in the comment section below.
Don’t forget to share them on social media too!