35 Medusa Quotes about the Unique Guardian from Greek Mythology
March 13, 2023 5:00 AM EST
Powerful and dangerous or beautiful and betrayed—decide for yourself with the help of these Medusa quotes.
In Greek mythology, we know Medusa as being one of the gorgons.
Tell us your favorite Medusa quote in the comment section below.
You may also enjoy our article on:
According to Google Trends, searches for “Medusa” have steadily increased in the past 5 years.
This indicates a growing interest in the Greek mythology and its characters, such as Medusa, among the general public.
What are the benefits of reading these Medusa quotes?
She was a protector, and unlike her family, she was known for being beautiful and a mortal.
However, the story goes that after sexual intercourse with Poseidon (with some texts alluding to her being raped), Athena turned Medusa into a mythical creature with snakes instead of hair.
If anyone looked into her eyes, they were turned into stone.
The mythology shares that she was eventually beheaded, but her eyes still held the power to turn people into stone and were used as a weapon.
We can learn a lot about women from Medusa, like:
- they are victim-blamed for the crimes of men
- society objectifies women for their beauty
- women create life and beautiful things (she gave birth to Pegasus)
If you like this article, we suggest you explore our most popular quotes article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily encouragement.
Read more related content on our inspirational quotes category page.
Medusa quotes about the unique guardian from Greek mythology
Medusa is one of the most recognizable characters in Greek mythology, with a distinct and memorable appearance.
This has led to her being referenced and represented in various forms of popular culture, from movies to fashion.
1. “I’ve been prepping for my role as Medusa.” ― Joaquin Phoenix
You will also enjoy our article on snake quotes.
2. “The look she gave him in reply would have petrified Medusa.” ― Karsten Knight
3. “I don’t even remember killing Medusa. I don’t remember anything.” — Rick Riordan
4. “When Medusa looks in the mirror, she sees the Lady of Sorrows.” — Mason Cooley
5. “Turn bad thoughts into concrete so you can build a strong foundation.” — Antonia Perdu
6. “We must kill the false woman who is preventing the live one from breathing.” ― Helene Cixous
7. “My dirty-blonde hair doesn’t slither and hiss, but the men around me are as cold and hard as stone.” — Skye Warren
8. “Fascinated by the glitter of gain, man gazes at the Medusa-like face of greed and stands petrified.” ― Manly P. Hall
9. “The terror of the Medusa is thus a terror of castration that is linked to the sight of something.” — Sigmund Freud
10. “Beauty is that Medusa’s head which men go armed to seek and sever, and dead will starve and sting forever.” ― Archibald MacLeish
You will also enjoy our article on Peaky Blinders quotes.
Insightful Medusa quotes
Medusa is often depicted as a powerful and independent figure, defying traditional gender roles.
This has made her a symbol of empowerment and rebellion for some individuals, particularly women.
11. “The literary scene is a kind of Medusa’s raft, small and sinking, and one’s instinct when a newcomer tries to clamber aboard is to step on his fingers.” ― John Updike
12. “You’re going native! Now, put down that ridiculous tray and help me kill this demigod. Or have you forgotten that he’s the one who vaporized Medusa?” ― Rick Riordan
You will also enjoy our article on Epicurus quotes.
13. “You cursed my soul, my mind is dead. Eyes like a weapon, snakes on my head. A priestess I was, the pride of Athena. Now I’m banned to live the life of a beast.” ― Grave Digger
14. “Pegasus’s dad was poseidon, the god of the sea, and his mom was Medusa and evil Gorgon who had fangs and lizard skin and living snakes for hair. And you thought your family was weird.” ― Evan Kuhlman
15. “The television, that insidious beast, that Medusa which freezes a billion people to stone every night, staring fixedly, that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little.” ― Ray Bradbury
16. “Writer’s block results from too much head. Cut off your head. Pegasus, poetry, was born of Medusa when her head was cut off. You have to be reckless when writing. Be as crazy as your conscience allows.” ― Joseph Campbell
17. “Margaret Thatcher has shown that there is power and dignity to be won by defying the status quo and the majority rather than by adapting to them. If the British left, which she froze into immobility like Medusa, could bring itself to learn from this, then we might not have to look upon her like again.” ― Christopher Hitchens
If you enjoy this article, check out our collection of Antigone quotes from the famous Greek tragedy.
More Medusa quotes
18. “You may gaze at her reflection in still waters of the lake, but don’t look at her directly or death will be your fate.” ― Angel Witch
19. “If a woman shows too often the Medusa’s head, she must not be astonished if her lover is turned into stone.” ― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
20. “Hey, Dad, can I borrow the severed head of Medusa tonight? I’m going out with my friends. Okay, honey, just bring it back by midnight, and don’t petrify anyone.” ― Rick Riordan
21. “In mythology, the Medusa can petrify people with a look – which is a good thing, I think. But the Medusa is a unique symbol – something strong. It’s about going all the way.” ― Donatella Versace
22. “Tom just stood there, sword in hand, a huge grin on his lips. He stared at Medusa and Medusa stared at him, and in this moment that made his dreams come true, Tom could only think of one thing to say.” ― S.J. Kincaid
You will also enjoy our article on Heraclitus quotes.
23. “You’re probably wondering: why were Medusa’s kids a golden warrior and a winged horse? And how had they been stuck in Medusa’s body all those years? Heck, I dunno. I’m just telling you how it was. You want stuff to make sense, you’re in the wrong universe” ― Rick Riordan
24. “To meet God or Medusa face to face, even if it means risking everything human in myself. I dream of a hard and brutal mysticism in which the naked self merges with the nonhuman world and yet somehow survives still intact individual, separate. Paradox and bedrock.” ― Edward Abbey
25. “A beautiful mortal, Medusa was the exception in the family, until she incurred the wrath of Athena, either due to her boastfulness or because of an ill-fated love affair with Poseidon. Transformed into a vicious monster with snakes for hair, she was killed by Perseus, who afterward used her still potent head as a weapon, before gifting it to Athena.” ― greekmythology.com
You will also enjoy our article on Socrates quotes.
Medusa quotes about the historical days
26. “If the delicate flower liked to play Medusa, maybe Karina could take on the role of Perseus.” ― Lexi Blake
27. “Most Medusas you see in the classics have flowing robes which would be mad to even try to animate.” ― Ray Harryhausen
You will also enjoy our article on daily prayer quotes.
28. “Well, I’m sorry to disappoint you, boy! That was Medusa’s curse alone. She was the most hideous one in the family.” ― Rick Riordan
29. “You only have to look at the Medusa straight on to see her. And she’s not deadly. She’s beautiful and she’s laughing.” ― Hélène Cixous
30. “Athena’s jealousy made a monster of fair Medusa. I often wonder what beauty my own demons have destroyed.” ― Nichole McElhaney
You will also enjoy our article on Aeschylus quotes.
31. “I thought Medusa had looked at you, and that you were turning to stone. Perhaps, now you will ask how much you are worth?” ― Charlotte Bronte
32. “Algol is the name of the winking demon star, Medusa of the skies; fair but deadly to look on, even for one who is already dying.” ― Elizabeth Redfern
33. “Every part of her was still except her hair, which blew round her face in the damp night like Medusa’s serpentine locks rearing to strike.” ― Katherine Pine
34. “You’re glad your dad is alive. You feel good that he’s claimed you, and part of you wants to make him proud. That’s why you mailed Medusa’s head to Olympus.” ― Rick Riordan
35. “The Medusa of Turritopsis nutricula is biologically immortal and this little creature is a big inspiration for us! He who thinks positively reaches his target!” ― Mehmet Murat İldan
You will also enjoy our article on Hocus Pocus quotes.
What did you learn from these Medusa quotes?
Medusa is a popular character from Greek mythology.
She has often been portrayed in movies and television.
There’s just something about a woman with snakes for her hair that seems to draw people in and want to see what’s going to happen.
Plus, the power to turn people into stone with simple eye contact is enticing.
However, as myths and legends go, they change over time.
Some versions of the story claim Medusa was a hideous beast from the beginning, just like her sisters.
One story even shares that when some of her blood was spilled onto the ground, it turned into venomous snakes and killed someone.
But whether the story says she started as a beast or was turned into one, her image is one that people find intriguing.
What’s your biggest takeaway from these Medusa quotes and sayings?
Let us know in the comment section below.