Look at these memorable quotes from one of hip-hop’s greatest artists, the late great MF Doom.
People worldwide would passionately make a case that Daniel Dumile, better known by one of his many stage names, MF Doom, is one of the greatest emcees to ever pick up a microphone.
While every fan has different criteria for what makes someone a legend, Doom certainly has solidified his status as a legend to millions of hip-hop fans.
Tell us your favorite MF Doom quote in the comment section below.
What are the benefits of reading these MF Doom quotes?
Many would agree that Doom, as a lyricist and producer, will always be remembered for being:
With his signature metal mask and supervillain persona, Doom has created a catalog of music and content that demands acclaim.
Doom’s signature style and ability to infuse hip-hop, comic books, lyricism, and potent production with his off-brand flow made him one of a kind.
Best MF Doom quotes about his life
1. “I’ll put whatever up there for the visible eye.” — MF Doom
2. “I’m doing the shows. The stage is my canvas.” — MF Doom
3. “Just remember all caps when you spell the man’s name.” — MF Doom
4. “The mask is a slight theme for people to enjoy, and it adds mystery.” — MF Doom
5. “I spent 35 years growing up in the U.S., and it had its ups and downs.” — MF Doom
6. “The ‘Doom’ thing is to be able to come at things with a different point of view.” — MF Doom
7. “Ever since third grade, I had a notebook and was putting together words just for fun.” — MF Doom
8. “And since when the rap game had to do with killin’ a cat, what type o’ chitlins is that?” — MF Doom
9. “You could either ignore this advice, or take it from me, be too nice, and people take you for a dummy.” — MF Doom
10. “I decided the mask would just add to the mystique of the character as well as make Doom stand out.” — MF Doom
Famous MF Doom quotes from the hip-hop villain
11. “I’m incognito. It’s all-new, all fun.” — MF Doom
12. “I can’t perform without the mask or be seen without it on stage, or else it’ll distract from the whole persona.” — MF Doom
13. “Only in America could you find a way to make a healthy buck, and still keep your attitude on self-destruct.” — MF Doom
14. “I liked being able to speak to somebody and throw it back and forth, and they can’t predict what you’re going to say next.” — MF Doom
15. “I liked different etymologies, different slang that came out in different eras. Different languages. Different dialects.” — MF Doom
16. “I have no friends here apart from the dudes at my record label, and I didn’t go to school with no one. Nobody knows me.” — MF Doom
17. “I think – a lot of times in hip-hop, especially – artists get kind of pigeonholed into being ‘the guy,’ and it’s kind of limiting in a way.” — MF Doom
18. “I thought it’d be an easy way for people to see and differentiate between characters, sorta like when an actor gains weight for a role.” — MF Doom
19. “I’m always trying to show versatility. I’m juggling, and I’m flipping fire, and I’m chewing gum and rhyming at the same time… on a unicycle while playing the drums.” — MF Doom
Reflective MF Doom album quotes
20. “Being older now, grown, I’m like, ‘What do we really do that’s fun?’” — MF Doom
21. “Coming from one particular character makes, to me, the story boring.” — MF Doom
22. “I make hip-hop, but use Doom as a character to convey stories that a normal dude can’t.” – MF Doom
23. “The idea of having different characters is really just to get the storyline across, you know?” — MF Doom
24. “You have writers that write about crazy characters, but that doesn’t mean the writer himself is crazy.” — MF Doom
25. “We all tend to be in the same circles – people like my Wu-Tang brothers, or Black Thought from The Roots.” — MF Doom
26. “I’m kind of corny when you think about it. What could I rhyme about? Let me see, um, I gotta pay the rent today.” — MF Doom
27. “Everybody nowadays rhymes, but out of the people that really, really do it well, it’s still a small community of artists.” — MF Doom
28. “But I’m down with all of it. Chuck D or Danny Brown? I feel comfortable with all of them. Word up, kid! Word up, man!” — MF Doom
29. “I get that mainly from novels and that style of writing or movies where there’s multiple characters who carry the storyline.” — MF Doom
30. “Nowadays, you can just do it – have your name-brand clothes, do songs with rock n’ rollers – and it’s not considered selling out.” — MF Doom
31. “Prince Paul is another good friend; he’s like an older brother. He’ll criticize and be brutally honest with you. That’s what I like about Paul.” — MF Doom
32. “When I listen to hip-hop, I listen to Just Ice, Boogie Down Productions, Ultramagnetic MCs. I grew up in that age, and it was memorable.” — MF Doom
33. “Doom is a classic supervillain, akin to the Phantom of the Opera. It’s not about revenge so much as, like, ‘I’m back – now watch this!’ It all boils down to the music.” — MF Doom
34. “Hip-hop is so saturated with the same old same old that people always expect the guy to actually be the guy. They want you to be real and straight from the streets and all that.” — MF Doom
35. “The song ‘Bite the Thong’ in particular, with Damon Albarn, really encapsulates the whole dilemma of, ‘Hmm, should I stay on the underground when everybody else is selling out?” — MF Doom
Metal Fingaz Doom quotes
36. “Got more soul than a sock with a hole.” — MF Doom
37. “Living on borrowed time, the clock ticks faster.” — MF Doom
38. “After rocking parties they depart in a jalopy, watch the drop top poppy” — MF Doom
39. “A visual always brings a first impression. But if there’s going to be a first impression, I might as well use it to control the story. So why not do something like throw a mask on?” — MF Doom
40. “Easy as pi, three point one four, one more one false move and they’re done for” — MF Doom
41. “Don’t talk about my moms yo, sometimes he rhyme quick sometimes he rhyme slow, or vice versa. Whip up a slice o’ nice verse pie, hit it on the first try, Villain… the worst guy.” — MF Doom
42. “Dub it off your man don’t spend that 10 bucks. I did it for the advance the back end sucks.” – MF Doom
43. “This one goes out to all my peoples skippin’ bail, dippin’ jail, whippin’ tail, and sippin’ ale” — MF Doom
44. “Trust a few jewels that’s hidden in plain sight Ain’t nothing else to it, but to do it, but do it right.” — MF Doom
45. “If I had a dime for every rhymer that bust guns, I’d have a cool mil for my sons in trust funds.” — MF Doom
46. “Uh oh, it’s beer o’clock, I think I’m sober. How about we think this over, over a can of King Cobra?” — MF Doom
47. “Crime pays, no dental, no medical — unless you catch your time in county, state or federal.” — MF Doom
48. “How Doom hold heat, and preach non-violence? Shhh, he ‘bout to start the speech, c’mon, silence!” — MF Doom
49.“Golly, he’s just a pest and your worst best friend, Who mend and rip space-time fabric like polyester blend.” — MF Doom
50. “Not only was it three cracks light but too white, the test show lactose, ambisol, lecithin five types of aspirin and other kinds of medicines.” — MF Doom
MF Doom was a creative genius
Many fans (myself included) have been to live shows where a “Doom Bot” was on stage while the authentic Doom rocked the mic on another stage.
This was an ode to how Marvel’s supervillain character Dr. Doom would often outwit his enemies using duplicates of himself.
MF Doom took the creative side of hip-hop to new levels.
People forget that as an artist, Doom has been in the game for a long time with different iterations and stage names.
Hip-hop icons all acknowledge Doom for his impact and prowess on a microphone.
He has contributed verses and production to some of the best in the game while keeping his identity private via the mask.
Even his death was shrouded in mystery.
Staying true to his iconic status as the supervillain, fans of Doom were not even made aware of his death until almost a year after he passed away.
December 27, 2022 8:00 AM EST