Sometimes in movies and stories, it is easy to spot the villains, and other times their stories are shrouded in grey that makes it a little harder to decide who to sympathize with. In the original Disney movies, the villains were evil and these Disney villain quotes make it is easy to know who the bad guy is.
However, when we watch the new Disney remakes of Maleficent and Cruella, we get to see their back story and learn why they became who they are. It leaves us wondering who is the bad guy here.
We can say the same about life. Villains are people with actual feelings, and in their minds, they are often the heroes fighting the villains who have wronged them. We are all the villains in someone else’s story because life is not a Disney or Marvel movie.
Many of these villain quotes show the thin line between heroes and villains. They also point out just how important a villain is to any worthwhile story. Prepare to question everything you thought you knew about villains!
The most sinister and evil Disney Villain quotes
1. “If I lose my temper, you lose your head.” ― Queen Of Hearts, Alice in Wonderland
2. “And with everyone super, no one will be.” ― Syndrome, The Incredibles
3. “This is exactly how your father looked before he died…” ― Scar, The Lion King
4. “Now you know what it feels like to be like everyone else. Isn’t it just peachy?” ― Hades, Hercules
5. “If only there was someone who loved you.” ― Prince Hans, Frozen
6. “And there, my faithful huntsman, you will kill her!” ― Evil Queen, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
7. “You poor, simple fools. Thinking you could defeat me. Me! The mistress of all evil!” ― Maleficent, Sleeping Beauty
8. “You’re speechless, I see. A fine quality in a wife.” ― Jafar, Aladdin
9. “Death is the only adventure you have left!” ― Captain Hook, Peter Pan
10. “I see a strong, confident, beautiful young lady. Oh look, you’re here too.” ― Mother Gothel, Tangled
Best Villain quotes about power and the truth
11. “The only difference between a hero and the villain is that the villain chooses to use that power in a way that is selfish and hurts other people.” ― Chadwick Boseman
12. “A good villain exudes charisma and power. He has principles, though; that just gives him a level of dimension. It makes him seem to be a bit unpredictable because he’s usually deemed as some type of evil, ruthless person, and then he shows you his principles, and you don’t know what to think of it.” ― Pusha T
13. “A villain must be a thing of power, handled with delicacy and grace. He must be wicked enough to excite our aversion, strong enough to arouse our fear, human enough to awaken some transient gleam of sympathy.” ― Agnes Repplier
14. “Behind every villain is a truth, whether it be perceived or actual.” ― Dalton Frey, The Darkest Light
15. “In an evil society a villain is the hero, because only the villain can speak the truth.” ― T.J. Kirk
16. “Beware the power of the dark side.” ― Tom Angleberger
17. “There are new words now that excuse everybody. Give me the good old days of heroes and villains, the people you can bravo or hiss. There was a truth to them that all the slick credulity of today cannot touch.” ― Bette Davis
Villain quotes about why we need them in stories
18. “I firmly believe that a story is only as good as the villain.” ― Clive Barker
19. “The villain is the character that the people remember.” ― Udo Kier
20. “Nobody is a villain in their own story. We’re all the heroes of our own stories.” ― George R. R. Martin
21. “In any story, the villain is the catalyst. The hero’s not a person who will bend the rules or show the cracks in his armor. He’s one-dimensional intentionally, but the villain is the person who owns up to what he is and stands by it.” ― Marilyn Manson
22. “I like ambiguity because you may be the villain in someone else’s story and the hero in your own, and I think very often, African-American characters are either one thing or the other. You shouldn’t have to be perfectly good or perfectly bad. You don’t even have to be magical.” ― Chadwick Boseman
23. “The characters that have greys are the more interesting characters. The hero who sometimes crosses the line and the villain who sometimes doesn’t are just much more interesting.” ― Geoff Johns
24. “America has this fascination with glorifying the villain and not talking about the trials and tribulations. We tell the story of the successful villain a lot of times, but we don’t tell the story of the people who don’t come out so successful, and we don’t tell the story of all the bystanders of that choice.” ― Lecrae
25. “Well, you need the villain. If you don’t have a villain, the good guy can stay home.” ― Christoph Waltz
26. “Every villain needs her story told.” ― Abbi Glines
27. “The villain of any story is often the most compelling character.” ― John Hodgman
Villains quotes about their relationship with heroes
28. “I prefer a real villain to a false hero.” ― Killer Mike
29. “There’s no hero without a villain.” ― Mark Pellegrino
30. “If you have not been a villain at a certain point in time, you will never be a hero. And the day you are a hero, you may become a villain the next day.” ― Carlos Ghosn
31. “I think all of us have a hero and a villain in us.” ― Anson Mount
32. “Some people are cowards… I think by and large a third of people are villains, a third are cowards, and a third are heroes. Now, a villain and a coward can choose to be a hero, but they’ve got to make that choice.” ― Tom Hanks
33. “When you are a hero, you are always running to save someone, sweating, worried and guilty. When you are a villain, you are just lurking in the shadows waiting for the hero to pass by. Then you pop them in the head and go home… piece of cake.” ― James Marsters
34. “America has this fascination with glorifying the villain and not talking about the trials and tribulations. We tell the story of the successful villain a lot of times, but we don’t tell the story of the people who don’t come out so successful, and we don’t tell the story of all the bystanders of that choice.” ― Lecrae
35. “Who is to say who is the villain, and who is the hero? Probably the dictionary.” ― Joss Whedon
36. “Love is willing to become to villain so that the one who you love can stay a hero.” ― Josephine Angelini
37. “The ability to heal does not make one good any more than the ability to kill makes one evil. Kill the right people, and you become a hero. Heal the wrongs ones, and you become a villain. It is our choices that define us, not our abilities.” ― Michelle Hodkin, The Retribution of Mara Dyer
38. “It was easier to tell a hero from villain when the stakes were only life or death. Everything in between gets harder.” ― Maggie Stiefvater, The Raven King
39. “Well, I think there are no villains in this world. There are just misunderstood heroes.” ― Tom Hiddleston
40. “Life is not simple, and people can’t be boxed into being either heroes or villains.” ― Jessica Hagedorn
41. “Both villains and heroes need to have a steadfast belief in themselves.” ― Jack Gleeson
Villain quotes about some of the most notable fiction villains
42. “The Joker is my favorite villain of all time: You don’t know his past; you just know what his plans are.” ― The Weeknd
43. “Elektra isn’t a villain and isn’t a good girl, but as Frank Miller said, she is one of the villains with a weak streak in them, and that’s a failure that I tried to explore.” ― Elodie Yung
44. “Every villain in the DC Universe wants something different, and not all of them want to rule the world. Or at least, not all of them want to rule the world in the way the Crime Syndicate do.” ― Geoff Johns
45. “Thanos is undoubtedly the most powerful entity and villain the world has ever seen – he is virtually indestructible. Imagine a villain so menacing that all the Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy, and their allies have to come together in a hope to defeat this one guy; such characters come to you once in a lifetime!” ― Rana Daggubati
46. “The greatest villain of all time is The Joker – he always has been, and I don’t know anyone who’s not going to have Heath Ledger’s performance burnt into their brains for the rest of their lives.” ― Drew Goddard
47. “The most propagandistic element of ‘Frozen’ was the transformation of the prince at the beginning of the story, who was a perfectly good guy, into a villain with no character development whatsoever about three-quarters of the way to the ending.” ― Jordan Peterson
48. “So once I thought of the villain with a sense of humor, I began to think of a name, and the name “the Joker” immediately came to mind. There was the association with the Joker in the deck of cards, and I probably yelled literally, ‘Eureka!’ because I knew I had the name and the image at the same time.” ― Jerry Robinson
49. “With all due respect to the other writers, I don’t want to disparage any other writers; I don’t want to have to invent a bigger villain than Deathstroke so Deathstroke can seem heroic fighting this bigger villain. I’d rather just have Deathstroke be who is, and he’s kind of a bastard.” ― Christopher Priest
50. “I don’t think of ‘Macbeth’ as the villain. I don’t think of ‘King Lear’ as the villain. I don’t think of ‘Hamlet’ as the villain. I don’t think of ‘Travis Bickle’ as the villain.” ― Damien Chazelle
What did you learn from these Villain quotes?
Think about your own life story for a second. Who would you be without the villains you have faced? Who would the heroes in our favorite stories be without their villains? Is there a villain that earns the worst fictional villain of all time title?
The American Film Institute ranked the top fifty villains, and these five came out on top: Hannibal Lector, Norman Bates, Darth Vader, The Wicked Witch of the West, and Nurse Ratched. They are all pretty creepy, but I wonder what the story looks like from their point of view?
Surprisingly, only three Disney villains made that list: The Evil Queen (Snow White), ‘Man’ (Bambi), and Cruella De Vil (101 Dalmatians). ‘Man’ came in ranked at number 20. It says a lot about humanity that humans in general beat out 30 other villains on that list.
Who do you think the worst (or best really) villain is? Many of these villain quotes and sayings mention The Joker, and surely he is a contender! Share your thoughts about villains with us in the comment section below.
June 18, 2021 7:00 AM EST