As the Super Bowl LIV MVP, Patrick Mahomes’s incredible career as the Kansas City Chiefs quarterback is just getting started. The Patrick Mahomes quotes below reveal his life on and off the field.
Are you a football fan?
Patrick Mahomes played both football and basketball in college, where he excelled at both. In 2014, he was a part of the Major League Baseball Draft. He was picked by the Detroit Tigers, but didn’t sign with them. That year, he chose to practice football full time.
He was chosen in the NFL Draft by the Kansas City Chiefs in 2017. In 2020, Patrick Mahomes lead the Kansas City Chiefs to their first Super Bowl win in 50 years. He became the Super Bowl MVP, being the second African-American quarterback to do so.
From his influences to his quarterback play style, there’s so much to learn about Patrick Mahomes below.
Powerful Patrick Mahomes quotes
1. “The best thing about it is you’re showing kids that no matter where you grow up, what race you are, that you can achieve your dream.” – Patrick Mahomes
2. “Every experience, good or bad, you have to learn from.” – Patrick Mahomes
3. “I just try to be the best Patrick Mahomes I can be.” – Patrick Mahomes
4. “I just try to learn from every mistake that I make so that I never make them again.” – Patrick Mahomes
5. “Never change who you are, and be the best you can be.” – Patrick Mahomes
Patrick Mahomes quotes on sports
6. “No one really sees pro athletes behind the scenes. They don’t know how hard they work. They don’t see how you work on the basics. They couldn’t possibly know. You wouldn’t think that someone who hits like Alex Rodriguez needs to use a tee every day. But that’s how he stayed on top of it.” – Patrick Mahomes
7. “Definitely, as a competitor, you want to get out there and play.” – Patrick Mahomes
8. “I try to just focus in on being in the same routine every single day.” – Patrick Mahomes
9. “You want to be in the first round. That’s the dream. That’s what you see on draft night.” – Patrick Mahomes
10. “I love being able to come in every single day and work out and watch film and practice with guys who are all striving for the same goal.” – Patrick Mahomes
11. “You can tell when coaches have a confidence in you.” – Patrick Mahomes
Patrick Mahomes quotes on football
12. “The furthest I have even thrown the ball was 85 yards. But I had a little wind at my back, so I don’t claim that one.” – Patrick Mahomes
13. “Playing the scout-team quarterback in practice really helped develop my game.” – Patrick Mahomes
14. “I think, as quarterback and as a football player, you always want to get better.” – Patrick Mahomes
15. “You have to learn and develop from every experience you see on the field. I might see an unscouted blitz. I might see different coverages than I’m expecting. So I need to process and make those adjustments as I go.” – Patrick Mahomes
16. “When I scramble and do those things, I try to look downfield, look for the playmakers, put it in their hands, and let them make all the big plays happen.” – Patrick Mahomes
17. “I want people to know that I’m going to leave every single thing on the field.” – Patrick Mahomes
18. “Throughout my whole football career, I have always known I wasn’t the fastest guy.” – Patrick Mahomes
19. “When you’re in this league, you have to do something every single day. You have off days, but those off days are usually watching film.” – Patrick Mahomes
20. “I’m a little quick – I can run a little bit – but I know I can’t make a lot happen. So my thinking always was, ‘Why don’t you put it in the fast guys’ hands and let them make plays.’” – Patrick Mahomes
21. “There’s so much difference having arm ability. You have to be able to throw it hard. You have to be able to throw it with touch. You have to be able to do everything in this league, and I try to get better at every single one of those throws every single day.” – Patrick Mahomes
22. “It’s not like I mean to throw no-look passes. I think it kind of happens out of instinct. As I do it, I’m like, ‘Dang, I didn’t even mean to do that.’” – Patrick Mahomes
You might also like these CT Fletcher quotes and sayings to unleash your inner beast.
More Patrick Mahomes quotes about football
23. “You see Tom Brady, you see Alex Smith, and you see all those guys in the pocket and how quick they are with their footwork and how they get the ball out fast. I have to get like that.” – Patrick Mahomes
24. “I got to talk with some of the great offensive minds in football. Bruce Arians, Byron Leftwich, Andy Reid, Ben McAdoo, Bill O’Brien, I met all those guys and tried to take something away from each of them. Hue Jackson, people that are known for developing quarterbacks, I got exposed to a lot of stuff I hadn’t seen before.” – Patrick Mahomes
25. “The quarterbacks that win… those are the quarterbacks that are talked about for being great.” – Patrick Mahomes
26. “Coming from college, where they tell you exactly what you have to do, and they tell you have to be at this at this time, you kind of get punishment for that. Now you’re in the NFL, and you have to do it on your own.” – Patrick Mahomes
27. “They had a good game plan and they came out fast. We started slow, but we picked it up. You just have got to trust in the process and not try to do too much and things will start happening and having success your way.” – Patrick Mahomes
28. “I have a lot of guys around me that help make my job easier.” – Patrick Mahomes
29. “I feel like, even if something goes wrong, I have confidence in myself and my team that we’ll fix it.” – Patrick Mahomes
30. “When you go into a game, and there’s something that was drawn up the way it was supposed to be drawn up, and you missed the throw or the catch, as a receiver, it’s something where you feel bad about that. You can always regret just missing it, but as a football player, you have to move on to the next play.” – Patrick Mahomes
31. “You have to be secure with the ball. You can’t lose it.” – Patrick Mahomes
32. “In the pocket, I usually keep two hands on the ball.” – Patrick Mahomes
33. “The team aspect of football and just playing quarterback, having the ball in your hands, having to make the plays, that was definitely something I loved.” – Patrick Mahomes
34. “If you want to win games in this league, you have to be efficient.” – Patrick Mahomes
35. “Good third-down teams are teams that usually have success in this league.” – Patrick Mahomes
36. “You can have the big arm, and that’s good, and it helps out in the games, but it doesn’t help you necessarily win games.” – Patrick Mahomes
Patrick Mahomes quotes about the Kansas City Chiefs
37. “Coach Reid is a great teacher. He understands how people learn, understands how to get people to get the concept of what the play is and why we’re running it.” – Patrick Mahomes
38. “I like being… in Kansas City. People are extremely nice, extremely passionate about the Chiefs.” – Patrick Mahomes
39. “When you play the Oakland Raiders when you’re the Kansas City Chiefs, you know they’re going to come out with that mentality that they’re going to win. They’re going to come out fighting. It’s a rivalry game.” – Patrick Mahomes
40. “You want to be drafted high, but to be drafted high into an organization like the Kansas City Chiefs, it’s like a dream to me.” – Patrick Mahomes
41. “There’s always plays that Coach Reid just draws up every single week. I always say that they always work. He just gets on the board in his room and just starts drawing plays. The possibilities are endless.” – Patrick Mahomes
42. “It’s pretty cool just to see the support we have. It’s unmatched, Kansas City and the Chiefs Kingdom, the support they have for us. For me to just kind of be in the community and see those people is always a good thing.” – Patrick Mahomes
Patrick Mahomes quotes on upbringing
43. “When I was young I used to eat ketchup sandwiches – just bread and ketchup.” – Patrick Mahomes
44. “You dream of your first NFL start when you’re a little kid, playing football in the backyard, but until you get there, you never know what to expect.” – Patrick Mahomes
45. “I was that little kid: I was the one that was looking up to athletes and getting to see them and getting to be a part of it, and I remember those experiences.” – Patrick Mahomes
46. “I was a good student and stuff like that.” – Patrick Mahomes
47. “Not a lot of people see that when you’re growing up. You don’t get to see that people really have to work hard to become as good as they are.” – Patrick Mahomes
48. “I didn’t start playing football a lot until I was in high school. I played it in seventh and eighth grade, but I didn’t play Pop Warner or anything.” – Patrick Mahomes
49. “East Texas isn’t known for producing quarterbacks. I was never really on the football circuit. I wasn’t the type of guy that put my name out there.” – Patrick Mahomes
50. “I didn’t do any football stuff when I was a kid… Mostly baseball and basketball the whole time. That’s all I did. I played football starting in seventh grade. As I got older, I started playing a little bit more. Then in high school, I really fell in love with it.” – Patrick Mahomes
What are you most passionate about?
Like Patrick Mahomes learned at college, becoming an expert at something requires immense time and dedication. If he didn’t choose to practice football full time, he may not have experienced such incredible success as an NFL player.
Author Malcolm Gladwell once said it takes 10,000 hours of focus and practice to become an expert at a particular subject. When you’re stretching your time in many different fields, it can be difficult to become better and grow.
Just like professional athlete Patrick Mahomes, don’t be afraid to fully immerse yourself into a subject you’re passionate about. Putting in time and effort you sharpen your skills and decide whether it’s right for you.
Is there a motivational Patrick Mahomes quote you want to share with your friends? Is there another athlete we should showcase on Everyday Power? Let us know below!