Even if you hate snakes, you can learn something about life from these snake quotes.
Snakes tend to be one of those things that many people fear.
Whether it’s that they’re afraid of being bit, don’t like how scaley they are, or hate how they hide so easily, they’re something many are afraid of.
But there are many lessons that we can learn from snakes.
So, the following snake quotes not only educate you a little bit about snakes, but they also teach you life lessons.
From learning to forgive to keeping focused, snakes can teach us a lot of lessons.
Don’t forget to also check out these animal quotes celebrating their role in our lives.
Snake quotes to inspire and teach
1. “Even if a snake is not poisonous, it should pretend to be venomous.” – Chanakya
2. “When you’ve been around a snake long enough, you learn how to crawl in the dirt.” – Susan Elizabeth Phillips
3. “Every great story seems to begin with a snake.” – Nicolas Cage
4. “As the snake is separate from its slough, even so is the Spirit separate from the body.” – Ramakrishna
5. “When a woman teams up with a snake a moral storm threatens somewhere.” – Stacy Schiff
6. “The snake will always bite back.”- Jake Roberts
7. “Snakes, after all, have a great sense of decorum and order.” ― Silvia Moreno-Garcia
8. “Snake’s poison is life to the snake; it is in relation to man that it means death.” – Rumi
9. “When you see a snake, never mind where he came from.” ― William Gurney Benham
10. “No, snakes are no problem. I’d go to any country, anywhere, any snakes, not a problem.” – Steve Irwin
Insightful Snake Quotes
11. “Snakes hide in grass, people behind their lies.” – Nopain
12. “A snake knows more about what is happening around than any other creature, because it has no ears to listen to gossip only direct perception.”-Jaggi Vasudev
13. “I hate and fear snakes, because if you look into the eyes of any snake you will see that it knows all and more of the mystery of man’s fall, and that it feels all the contempt that the Devil felt when Adam was evicted from Eden. Besides which its bite is generally fatal, and it twists up trouser legs.”- Rudyard Kipling
14. “Remember, it is not the snake bite that kills, but the venom which circulates afterwards that is fatal. Do not let the snake bite of another person release any venom inside of you. You can control its entry and you are responsible for every thought in your mind.” – Robin Sharma
15. “Like the snake sheds its skin living for a while in another one, man strips himself from opinions gathered up until a certain age, developing others.” – Mariana Fulger
16. “I am like a snake who has already bitten. I retreat from a direct battle while knowing the slow effect of the poison.” – Anais Nin
17. “Any man who is attached to things of this world is one who lives in ignorance and is being consumed by the snakes of his own passions.” – Black Elk
18. “Not all the snakes are poisonous and not all the poisons are deadly! Keep this in mind “when bitten.”- Mehmet Murat Ildan
More Snake Quotes and Sayings
19. “The snake which cannot cast its skin has to die. As well the minds which are prevented from changing their opinions; they cease to be mind.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
20. “Snakes are sometimes perceived as evil, but they are also perceived as medicine. If you look at an ambulance, there’s the two snakes on the side of the ambulance. The caduceus, or the staff of Hermes, there’s the two snakes going up it, which means that the venom can also be healing.” – Nicolas Cage
21. “A snake will always be a snake, even if you put a chain around its neck and try to make it walk upright.” – Lisa Alther
22. “Just as a snake sheds its skin, we must shed our past over and over again.” – Gautama Buddha
23. “People get bitten. But I won’t.’ I found myself saying, ‘You will, you will. These snakes don’t know you find death inconceivable. They don’t know you’re young and strong and you think death applies to everyone but you. They will bite you and you will die.” – Don DeLillo
24. “The snake produces poison in its body to poison its enemies! But man is a strange snake; he produces poison in his mind to poison his fellow men!”-Mehmet Murat ldan
Also check out these yellow quotes for a happy aesthetic.
More snake quotes to ruminate on
25. “It’s good to see the snakes revealing themselves. They weren’t actually hidden at all. People hide behind the masks, but eventually you see them for who they truly are.” ― Amaka Imani Nkosazana
26. “The older a wizard grows, the more silent he becomes, like a woody vine growing over time to choke a garden path, deep and full of moss and snakes, running everywhere, impenetrable.” ― F.T. McKinstry
27. “I’d rather meander through a pit of vipers than love one more person, but since I’m on the subject of snakes, we all know one, or are one.” ― Donna Lynn Hope
28. “Round and round they went with their snakes, snakily…” ― Aldous Huxley
29. “What is with these guys? Where’s the thrill in watching snakes eat?I certainly didn’t thrill in watching humans eat.” – Patrick Jennings
30. “Snakes don’t hiss anymore these days they’re calling you babe, bro, sister & BFF.” ― Rasarab
31. “Dragons and snakes aren’t so different.” ― A.D. Aliwat
32. “Racists are snakes. Their minds are closed but their mouths are wide open, full of venom, ready to sting and destroy people around them.” ― Mouloud Benzadi
33. “Tell people how it is, be real and be honest. If you see something wrong make sure you speak up. Being this way will naturally eliminate the snakes and fakes.” ― John Maiorana
34. “Snakes in the ancient world, because of their skin-shedding ability, often symbolized immortality or eternal youth.” ― Alice K. Turner
Snake quotes that will make you think
35. “Like a snake sheds its skin, we are capable of getting rid of assembled habits, creating space to call matters into question.” ― Erik Pevernagie
36. “The snake stood up for evil in the Garden.” ― Robert Frost
37. “Truth is as straight as an arrow, while a lie swivels like a snake.” ― Suzy Kassem
38. “If there is a snake in the grass, you have to set the field on fire to draw it out.” ― Matshona Dhliwayo
39. “To the unspoiled, even a snake bite is a loving kiss. But to the spoiled even a loving kiss is a snake bite.” ― Mikhail Naimy
40. “Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake.” ― W. C. Fields
41. “Well, yeah, you listen to a talking snake and there’s gonna be trouble.” ― Mike Mignola
42. “The snake kills by squeezing very slowly. This is how the civilized world slowly, slowly pushes into the forest and takes away the world that used to be.” – James Cameron
43. “I want to give up my bearings, slip out of who I am, shed everything, the way a snake discards old skin.” ― Khaled Hosseini
44. “Even snakes are afraid of snakes.” ― Steven Wright
Thought Provoking Snake Quotes
45. “Make sure you cut the grass low so the snakes show.” — Banky W.
46. “A relationship is like being in a forest, where snakes lurk awaiting the chance to entice.” ― Anthony Liccione
47. “He was a poison snake, and I was another, and on such terms we pleased ourselves.” ― Madeline Miller
48. “A snake was never called by its name at night, because it would hear. It was called a string.” ― Chinua Achebe
49. “I think the most alarming animals I have encountered are really poisonous snakes.” — David Attenborough
50. “The crookedness of the serpent is still straight enough to slide through the snake hole.” — Abraham Verghese
51. “When most people get drunk, they see snakes. But, when snakes get drunk, they see Jake Roberts!” — Jerry Lawler
52. “We must enlist our own snake and strike like a cobra against their vitals with an attack on Washington.” — Robert E. Lee
53. “I never seen snakes on a plane” — Kanye West
54. “When they launch snakes you’ll have your namesake.” — Philippa Gregory
Snake Quotes and Proverbs
55. “Once bitten by a snake, he is scared all his life at the mere sight of a rope.”
56. “When the snake is in the house, one need not discuss the matter at length.”
57. “A man does not run among thorns for no reason; either he is chasing a snake or a snake is chasing him.”
58. “A snake deserves no pity.”
59. “A person whose heart is not content is like a snake which tries to swallow an elephant.”
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to check out our collection of Elephant quotes to celebrate animals & nature.
60. “Use your enemy’s hand to catch a snake.”
61. “If you want to kill a snake, chop off its head.”
62. “Look before you leap, For snakes among sweet flowers do creep.”
63. “If a rich man ate a snake, they would say it was because of his wisdom; if a poor man ate it, they would say it was because of his stupidity.”
64. “When you chop off a snake’s head all you are left with is a piece of rope.”
Don’t forget to also read these bird quotes that will inspire you to spread your wings and fly.
What did you learn from these snake quotes?
It’s OK if snakes still aren’t your favorite.
And, you’re able to appreciate some things about them while still wanting to keep your distance from them.
But, don’t let your fear of snakes stop you from noticing all the things about them that you can learn from.
And the more you know about snakes themselves, the more you’re able to avoid being hurt by one.
That goes for both actual snakes and people that you might want to describe as a snake.
So, read through the quotes again so you can be prepared for the next time you come up against one.
What’s your biggest takeaway from these snake quotes and sayings?
Do you have any other favorite quotes to add?
Let us know in the comment section below.
August 12, 2022 5:00 AM EST