Pocahontas Quotes For Learning Things You Never Knew
December 26, 2022 7:04 AM EST
If you find that as you go through life painting with the colors of the wind, these Pocahontas quotes are for you.
While not historically accurate, the animated Disney Pocahontas film is a movie that evokes both nostalgia and feelings of empathy in the hearts of millions of people.
Tell us your favorite Pocahontas quote in the comment section below.
What are the benefits of reading these Pocahontas quotes?
Much of the story of Pocahontas presented in the movie and in academic textbooks across the country is based on writings that were written years after her death.
Nobody was around to challenge the narrative’s authenticity.
With that context in mind, the inaccuracy does not take away from the powerful themes that are expressed in the movie, like:
- different doesn’t mean bad
- nature is a powerful thing
- doing the right thing even when it costs you
Xenophobia is the fear of anything different.
In the popular American narrative, Pocahontas risks it all for the sake of love and to avoid war.
Those seeking peaceful acceptance of different peoples and cultures often seek her example.
Top 10 Pocahontas quotes about life
1. “I’ve lived at last.” — John Smith
2. “I’ll always be with you. Forever.” — Pocahontas
3. “You must choose your own path.” — Chief Powhatan
4. “You know your path, child, now follow it.” — Pocahontas
5. “If you listen, they will guide you.” — Grandmother Willow
6. “I lied for you once. Don’t ask me to do it again.” — Nakoma
7. “The water’s always changing, always flowing.” — Pocahontas
8. “We’ll build a bridge of love between two worlds.” — Pocahontas
9. “What is my path? How am I ever going to find it?” — Pocahontas
10. “She has her mother’s spirit. She goes wherever the wind takes her.” — Kekata
Inspiring Pocahontas quotes to live by
11. “He wants me to be steady, like the river. But it’s not steady at all!” — Pocahontas
12. “Even the wild mountain stream must someday join the big river.” — Chief Powhatan
13. “Young man, sometimes the right path is not the easiest one.” — Grandmother Willow
14. “What I love most about rivers is you can’t step in the same river twice.” — Pocahontas
15. “When I see you wear that necklace, you look just like your mother.” — Chief Powhatan
16. “And we are all connected to each other, in a circle, in a hoop that never ends.” — Colors of the Wind
17. “The rainstorm and the river are my brothers. The heron and the otter are my friends.” — Pocahontas
18. “All around you are spirits, child. They live in the earth, the water, the sky.” — Grandmother Willow
19. “Father, for many nights now I’ve been having a very strange dream. I think it’s telling me something’s about to happen.” — Pocahontas
Pocahontas movie quotes we all remember
20. “If you kill him, you’ll have to kill me, too.” — Pocahontas
21. “The only thing they feel at all is greed.” — Chief Powhatan
22. “Sometimes our paths are chosen for us.” — Chief Powhatan
23. “No matter what happens to me, I’ll always be with you.” — John Smith
24. “Your weapons are strong but now are anger is stronger.” — Chief Powhatan
25. “My daughter speaks with the wisdom beyond her years.” — Chief Powhatan
26. “I’d rather die tomorrow than live a hundred years without knowing you.” — John Smith
27. “Don’t be frightened, young man. My bark is worse than my bite.” — Grandmother Willow
28. “It would’ve been better if we never met. None of this would’ve happened.” — Pocahontas
29. “Come roll in all the riches all around you, and for once, never wonder what they’re worth.” — Pocahontas
30. “John Smith: Pocahontas, that tree is talking to me. Pocahontas: Then you should talk back.” — Pocahontas
Moving Pocahontas quotes about love, hate, wisdom, and strength
31. “But still I cannot see if the savage one is me.” — Pocahontas
32. “Once two sides wanna fight, nothing can stop them.” — John Smith
33. “It seems to me this spinning arrow is pointing you down your path.” — Grandmother Willow
34. “With every kiss, we’ll promise this, we’ll find a way to light the dawn of all we wish.” — Pocahontas
35. “I know every rock and tree and creature, has a life, has a spirit, has a name.” — Colors Of The Wind
36. “But she is still with us. Whenever the wind moves through the trees, I feel her presence.” — Chief Powhatan
37. “Our people looked to her for wisdom and strength. Someday, they will look to you as well.” — Chief Powhatan
38. “Two hopeful hearts, two lands apart. Together there’s no end to what our dream can start.” — Between Two Worlds
39. “This is where the path of hatred has brought us… This is the path I choose, Father. What will yours be?” — Pocahontas
40. “We’ve all come here with anger in our hearts, but she comes with courage and understanding.” — Chief Powhatan
Deep Pocahontas quotes you will not forget
41. “From this day forward, if there is to be more killing, it will not start with me.” — Chief Powhatan
42. “You are the daughter of the chief. It is time to take your place among our people.” — Chief Powhatan
43. “How high does a sycamore grow? If you cut it down, then you’ll never know.” — Pocahontas
44. “You think the only people who are people are the people who look and think like you.” — Pocahontas
45. “If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you’ll learn things you never knew you never knew.” — Pocahontas
46. “Listen with your heart, you will understand, let it break upon you, like a wave upon the sand.” — Pocahontas
47. “They’re not savages, they can help us. They know the land, they know how to navigate the rivers.” — John Smith
48. “John Smith: Well, when I say uncivilized, what I mean is, is. Pocahontas: What you mean is, not like you.” — Pocahontas
49. “Goodbye is an easy word to say but try saying it to a friend. If I never knew you, I’d be safe, but half as real, never knowing I could feel.” — Pocahontas
50. “It won’t be long before we reach the new world. And remember what awaits us there: freedom, prosperity, the adventure of our lives.” — Governor Ratcliffe
What do we really know about Pocahontas?
Most people have heard the story of Pocahontas.
However, if they are using American textbooks or Disney film as their reference, then they have been presented with more of a myth.
Pocahontas was a young Powhatan girl born in 1596 in Werowocomoco, Virginia, who allegedly saved the life of English soldier, merchant, and colonizer John Smith.
We know she died young and was the daughter of a paramount chief.
The Smithsonian recently released a documentary in which scholars, historians, and actual descendants of Pocahontas reveal information about this historical figure.
Now, the new information challenges the narrative ingrained in American textbooks and certainly flies in the face of almost everything from the Disney film.
For starters, Pocahontas was not even her real name.
Her actual name was Amonute.
Some of her more intimate relatives called her Matoaka.
It turns out that “Pocahontas” is actually just a nickname that some people in her village called her.
What was your favorite Pocahontas quote?
Let us know in the comment section below.