If you are searching for craft quotes, look no further.
We have some of the most fabulous craft sayings online.
Who invented crafting?
Humans have been inventing crafts since the beginning of time.
Ancient neanderthal and cave people made art for creative and sentimental purposes.
The modern craft movement began in the 1860s.
Many people attribute John Ruskin and William Morris as the pioneers of the modern craft movement.
Check out some cool craft facts below:
- 56% of American households craft at least once a year.
- The first artists used ashes, red clay, or natural pigments for arts & crafts.
- Data suggests there are over 21 million quilters in the US.
Ruskin wrote a book called The Stones of Venice, which made the connection between nature, morality, and art.
However, while Ruskin and Morris are in the history books for inspiring arts and crafts, women were already meeting up for sewing socials before Ruskin’s book.
His book impacted Europe and caused many people to believe that good moral art was nature expressed through humankind.
Arts and crafts became even more popular in 1906 when the Sears corporation included them in their catalog for the first time.
Arts and crafts became so popular that the Olympic Games gave out awards and medals for sport-inspired art.
Arts and crafts impact our world
Have you ever said the phrase “the whole nine yards?”
That term comes from arts and crafts lovers!
Before it became a colloquial phrase, it was a technical phrase.
Tailors would need all nine yards of fabric to make the fanciest coat for their clients.
Check out our fantastic collection of craft quotes below.
If you enjoy this article, check out our collection of art quotes celebrating the power and beauty of creation.
Short craft quotes
Take a look at our short and sweet craft quotes.
1. “Craft is the visible edge of art.” — David Bayles
2. “Craft is all about using the skills.” — Chris & Hannah
3. “Being literate as a writer is a good craft.” — Douglas Adams
4. “The life so short, the craft so long to learn.” — Hippocrates
5. “Craft makes our homes more human.” — Ilse Crawford
6. “Craft is the vehicle for expressing your vision.” — David Bayles
7. “Craft is a trick you make up to let you write the poem.” — Anne Sexton
8. “Before undertaking his craft, the artisan first sharpens his tools.” — Chinese proverb
8. “Well, you can’t teach the poetry, but you can teach the craft.” — David Hockney
9. “We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master.” — Ernest Hemingway
10. “Craft is certainly an application of skill, and it may yet involve the skilled hands.” — Malcolm McCollough
Craft lover quotes
Craft lovers unite with these sweet craft quotes.
11. “The craft of writing is the clumsy attempt to find symbols for the wordlessness.” — John Steinbeck
12. “Art is not a handicraft; it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced.” — Leo Tolstoy
13. “Writing is a craft, being an author is work, and having readers and a following is a gift.” — Michael J. Kannengieser
14. “Love is a well-stocked craft room.” — Anonymous
15. “Art can’t be taught; passion can’t be taught….but craft can be taught. And writing is both an art and a craft.” — Elizabeth George
16. “It is not enough to know your craft – you have to have feeling….for us imagination is worth far more.” — Edouard Manet
17. “There’s no shortcut to learning a craft; you just have to put the years in.” — Kylie Minogue
18. “Craft is passionately creating something with your hands.” — Sarah Chatterton
19. “Hands can cook, hands can create, hands can kill. There is no better tool than our hands.” — Amit Kalantri
20. “The discipline of creation, be it to paint, compose, write, is an effort towards wholeness.” — Madeleine L’Engle
Check out our collection of welding quotes if you enjoy this article.
Creative craft quotes
Arts and crafts are all about creativity.
21. “The Craft was what it was. People who respond to that movie respond to it really strongly.” — Robin Tunney
22. “Drawing makes you see things clearer, and clearer and clearer still until your eyes ache.” — David Hockney
23. “No one masters his craft the first day.” — Roman proverb
24. “I am not skilled enough or energetic enough to craft a persona. I just have to be who I am and hope people like it.” — Pete Buttigieg
25. “Songwriting is kind of like a craft. It’s not something that just comes in a dream. You’ve got to work at it.” — Sean Lennon
26. “Art has the role in education of helping children become like themselves instead of more like everyone else.” — Sydney Gurewitz Clemens
27. “The artist is not a special kind of person; rather, each person is a special kind of artist.” — Ananda Coomaraswamy
28. “A work of art is a world in itself reflecting senses and emotions of the artist’s world.” — Hans Hofmann
29. “I think …the most interesting work done in fields where people don’t think they’re doing art but are merely practicing a craft and working as good craftsmen.” — Douglas Adams
30. “The moment a man begins to talk about technique that’s proof that he is fresh out of ideas.” — Raymond Chandler
Work on your craft quotes
To become a master, one must put in the work.
31. “The artist who aims at perfection in everything achieves it in nothing.” — Eugene Delacroix
32 “The difference between an artist and a craftsman is that a craftsman is interested in his or her tools, and an artist disdains them.” — Richard Benson
33. “Art that submits to orthodoxy…but lacks imagination and deep self-expression is lost, leaving only the craftsmanship.” — Andre Gide
34. “Craft against craft makes no living.” — George Herbert
35. “Work done by you with unconditional love and pure devotion goes straight in the category of divine and immortal craft.” — Seema Brain Openers
36. “A craftsman only. But I dream to be an artist. I will make a weapon that is a work of art. Call me an artist then.” — William Goldman
37. “He who works with his hands is a laborer. He who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman. He who works with his hands and his head and his heart is an artist.” — Francis of Assisi
38. “There are two men inside the artist, the poet, and the craftsman. One is born a poet. One becomes a craftsman.” — Emile Zola
39. “Without craftsmanship, inspiration is a mere reed shaken in the wind.” — Johannes Brahms
39. “Everything a writer learns about the art or craft of fiction takes just a little away from his need or desire to write at all. In the end, he knows all the tricks and has nothing to say.” — Raymond Chandler
40. “You either create something and you keep it a secret and you die with it, or you can benefit the craft.” — Vidal Sassoon
More craft quotes and sayings
Here are some inspirational quotes about crafting.
41. “You want to be a bit compulsive in your art or craft or whatever you do.” — Steve Martin
42. “You should put time into learning your craft. It seems like people want success so quickly, way before they’re ready.” — Lucinda Williams
43. “I sometimes ponder on variation form, and it seems to me it ought to be more restrained, purer.” — Johannes Brahms
44. “I went from years of honing my craft to sudden recognition. It was quite a life changer.” — Kathy Bates
45. “And I believe that the best learning process of any kind of craft is just to look at the work of others.” — Wole Soyinka
46. “Every secret of a writer’s soul, every experience of his life is written large in his works.” — Virginia Woolf
47. “Craft is creating with my hands from my heart and having control over the whole process.” — Helen Hallows
48. “Being made by human hands, the craft is made for human hands: we can not only see it but caress it with our fingers.” — Malcolm McCollough
49. “I think of craft as work that the designer has put a little piece of their heart and soul into.” — Sarah Dukes
50. “Craft means great products, individually and lovingly made by a creator who cares.” — Judy Cramp
Crafting is for everyone
A handcrafted item is unique.
Writer Emily Winter notes, “I think people want something a bit different and not mass-produced, and they value the love and skill that goes into something a person has made.”
People have been crafting for generations.
Leonardo da Vinci was an arts and crafts kind of guy.
He was so committed to his craft that he spent twelve years painting the Mona Lisa’s lips.
Scrapbooking became very popular once photographic technology was invented in the 1800s.
Scented candles have also come a long way!
People have been making scented candles for a long time.
In ancient China, people made scented candles out of whale fat.
In the American colonies, the first scented candles were made of bayberry.
However, these were rare and expensive because it took an enormous amount of bayberry leaves to produce just one candle.
What is your favorite thing about crafting?
What do you like to craft?
What was your favorite craft quote?
Tell us in the comments section below.
December 19, 2022 4:25 AM EST