Looking for awesome Kurt Cobain quotes that will give you Nirvana nostalgia?
Who is Kurt Cobain?
Lead singer, guitarist, and primary songwriter, Kurt Donald Cobain has remained to be one of the most influential American musicians – even after his passing at an early age of 27.
His band, Nirvana, has had its ups and downs before selling more than 75 million copies worldwide.
He was (and remains today) as an inspiration to musicians everywhere for his talent, passion, and belief in freedom through music.
Even though his death is still a subject of conspiracies, he has left the world the gift of incredible music and lyrics.
Are you a musician? Searching for Kurt Cobain quotes to power your work? Here are 50 of his famous sayings to inspire you today.
Don’t forget to also check out our compilation of Ella Fitzgerald quotes for additional motivation from the first lady of song.
Inspirational Kurt Cobain Quotes
1. “Music is first, lyrics are secondary.” – Kurt Cobain
2. “Because there is nothing in the world I like more than pure underground music.” – Kurt Cobain
3. “At this point I have a request for our fans. If any of you in any way hate homosexuals, people of different color, or women, please do this one favor for us — leave us alone! Don’t come to our shows and don’t buy our records.” – Kurt Cobain
5. “You know what I hate about rock? I hate tie-dyed tee shirts. I wouldn’t wear a tie-dyed tee shirt unless it was dyed with the urine of Phil Collins and the blood of Jerry Garcia.” – Kurt Cobain
6. “I’d rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not.” – Kurt Cobain
7. “If it’s illegal to rock and roll, throw my ass in jail!” – Kurt Cobain
Kurt Cobain Quotes about Friendship
8. “I’m so happy because today I found my friends – they’re in my head.” – Kurt Cobain
9. “A friend is nothing but a known enemy.” – Kurt Cobain
10. “If you ever need anything please don’t hesitate to ask someone else first.” – Kurt Cobain
12. “I bought a gun and chose drugs instead.” – Kurt Cobain
13. “Drugs are a waste of time. They destroy your memory and your self-respect and everything that goes along with with your self esteem.” – Kurt Cobain
14. “It’s okay to eat fish because they don’t have any feelings.” – Kurt Cobain
15. “I had a really good childhood up until I was nine, then a classic case of divorce really affected me.” – Kurt Cobain
16. “I won’t eat anything green.” – Kurt Cobain
17. “Rather be dead than cool.” – Kurt Cobain
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to check out our collection of cool quotes about keeping a relaxed mind.
19. “The duty of youth is to challenge corruption.” – Kurt Cobain
Kurt Cobain Quotes about Life
20. “Nobody dies a virgin… Life fucks us all.” – Kurt Cobain
21. “Birds scream at the top of their lungs in horrified hellish rage every morning at daybreak to warn us all of the truth, but sadly we don’t speak bird.” – Kurt Cobain
22. “Thank you for the tragedy. I need it for my art.” – Kurt Cobain
23. “Practice makes perfect, but nobody’s perfect, so why practice?” – Kurt Cobain
24. “If you’re really a mean person you’re going to come back as a fly and eat poop.” – Kurt Cobain
25. “There’s good in all of us and I think I simply love people too much, so much that it makes me feel too fucking sad.” – Kurt Cobain
26. “Just because you’re paranoid doesn’t mean they aren’t after you.” – Kurt Cobain
28. “I knew I was different. I thought that I might be gay or something because I couldn’t identify with any of the guys at all. None of them liked art or music. They just wanted to fight and get laid. It was many years ago but it gave me this real hatred for the average American macho male.” – Kurt Cobain
29. “I was tired of pretending that I was someone else just to get along with people, just for the sake of having friendships.” – Kurt Cobain
30. “I am not gay, although I wish I were, just to piss off homophobes.” – Kurt Cobain
Also check out these Janis Joplin quotes from the iconic singer.
Kurt Cobain Quotes to motivate you
31. “I mean I like to be passionate and sincere but I also like to have fun and act like a dork. Geeks unite.” – Kurt Cobain
33. “I don’t care what you think unless it is about me.” – Kurt Cobain
34. “I started to be really proud of the fact I was gay even though I wasn’t” – Kurt Cobain
35. “I would like to get rid of the homophobes, sexists, and racists in our audience. I know they’re out there and it really bothers me.” – Kurt Cobain
36. “Rape is one of the most terrible crimes on earth and it happens every few minutes. The problem with groups who deal with rape is that they try to educate women about how to defend themselves. What really needs to be done is teaching men not to rape. Go to the source and start there.” – Kurt Cobain
37. “Before I die many will die with me and they’ll deserve it. See you in Hell.” – Kurt Cobain
39. “We’re so trendy we can’t even escape ourselves.” – Kurt Cobain
40. “Forever in debt to your priceless advice.” – Kurt Cobain
Kurt Cobain quotes that will make your day
41. “I use bits and pieces of others personalities to form my own.” – Kurt Cobain
42. “It’s better to burn out than to fade away.”― Kurt Cobain
43. “I’m worse at what I do best.”― Kurt Cobain
44. “Life is a waste of time and time is a waste of life, so let’s all get wasted and have the time of our lives.”― Kurt Cobain
45. “We have no right to express an opinion until we know all of the answers.”― Kurt Cobain
46. “I don’t need to be inspired any longer, just supported.”― Kurt Cobain
47. “Dreaming of the person you want to be is wasting the person you already are.”― Kurt Cobain
48. “I just hope I don’t become so blissful I become boring. I think I’ll always be neurotic enough to do something weird.”― Kurt Cobain
49. “Life isn’t nearly as sacred as the appreciation of passion.”― Kurt Cobain
50. “The sun is gone, but I have a light.”― Kurt Cobain
More Kurt Cobain quotes and sayings
51. “If my eyes could show my soul, everyone would cry when they saw me smile.” – Kurt Cobain
52. “Wanting to be someone else is a waste of who you are.” – Kurt Cobain
53. “Just because it’s all you want, doesn’t mean it’s all you need.” – Kurt Cobain
54. “No matter what you do or say, there’s nothing that you can do to make people understand you.” – Kurt Cobain
55. “If you die you’re completely happy and your soul somewhere lives on.” – Kurt Cobain
56. “Total peace after death, becoming someone else, is the best hope I’ve got.” – Kurt Cobain
57. “Rap music is the only vital form of music introduced since punk rock.” – Kurt Cobain
58. “Alternative music is no longer alternative once it’s in the mainstream.” – Kurt Cobain
59. “I wanted to be in a punk band before I had even heard any punk music.” – Kurt Cobain
60. “People are coming to shows on the strength of one song. I guess that’s the way it goes.” – Kurt Cobain
You might also like these Frank Zappa quotes from one of the greatest musicians in history.
Which of these Kurt Cobain quotes struck you the most?
Did any of these sayings make you think about your own perspective in life, love, and music?
Kurt Cobain may no longer be with us, but his legacy lives on – especially in those who share his beliefs, ideals, and love of music.
May we all find freedom in our passions like he did with his music.
Which of these Kurt Cobain quotes struck you the most? Do you have any other inspirational quotes to add? Let us know in the comment section below.
September 18, 2020 6:00 AM EST