Words of wisdom from one of the longest-serving Popes in modern history. Enjoy these Pope John Paul II quotes!
During his time in the position, Pope John Paul II created lasting change around the world. He is known as the second longest-serving Pope in modern years and held the position from 1978 until his death in 2005.
During his time as Pope, he worked to help end communism in his home country of Poland along with other areas of Europe. He also improved the relationship between the Catholic church and other religions. He made a lasting impact on many people to the point that some people refer to him unofficially as St. John Paul the Great.
Don’t forget to also check out these religious quotes to bring you inner peace.
Pope John Paul II Quotes about Family and Marriage
1. “As the family goes, so goes the nation and so goes the whole world in which we live.” – Pope John Paul II
2. “The great danger for family life, in the midst of any society whose idols are pleasure, comfort, and independence, lies in the fact that people close their hearts and become selfish.” – Pope John Paul II
3. “Marriage is an act of will that signifies and involves a mutual gift, which unites the spouses and binds them to their eventual souls, with whom they make up a sole family – a domestic church.” – Pope John Paul II
4. “To maintain a joyful family requires much from both the parents and the children. Each member of the family has to become, in a special way, the servant of the others.” – Pope John Paul II
5. “The history of mankind, the history of salvation, passes by way of the family.” – Pope John Paul II
6. “In the newborn child is realized the common good of the family.” – Pope John Paul II
7. “Love that leads to marriage is a gift from God and a great act of faith toward other human beings.” – Pope John Paul II
8. “We are all one family in the world. Building a community that empowers everyone to attain their full potential through each of us respecting each other’s dignity, rights and responsibilities make the world a better place to live.” – Pope John Paul II
9. “The sickness of a family member, friend, or neighbor is a call to Christians to demonstrate true compassion, that gentle and persevering sharing in another’s pain.” – Pope John Paul II
10. “The family is placed at the center of the great struggle between good and evil, between life and death, between love and all that is opposed to love.” – Pope John Paul II
Pope John Paul II Quotes about Love and Friendship
11. “A person’s rightful due is to be treated as an object of love, not as an object for use.” – Pope John Paul II
12. “The worst prison would be a closed heart.” – Pope John Paul II
13. “Love between man and woman cannot be built without sacrifices and self-denial.” – Pope John Paul II
14. “Friendship, as has been said, consists in a full commitment of the will to another person with a view to that person’s good.” – Pope John Paul II
15. “A person is an entity of a sort to which the only proper and adequate way to relate is love.” – Pope John Paul II
16. “Genuine love … is demanding. But its beauty lies precisely in the demands it makes. Only those able to make demands on themselves in the name of love can then demand love from others.” – Pope John Paul II
17. “There is no place for selfishness and no place for fear! Do not be afraid, then, when love makes demands. Do not be afraid when love requires sacrifice.” – Pope John Paul II
18. “Darkness can only be scattered by light, hatred can only be conquered by love.” – Pope John Paul II
19. “When a young man or woman recognizes that authentic love is a precious treasure, they are also enabled to live their sexuality in accordance with the divine plan.” – Pope John Paul II
20. “Love is never defeated, and I could add, the history of Ireland proves it.” – Pope John Paul II
Pope John Paul II Quotes about Faith and Hope
21. “Do not be afraid. Do not be satisfied with mediocrity. Put out into the deep and let down your nets for a catch.” – Pope John Paul II
22. “What really matters in life is that we are loved by Christ and that we love Him in return. In comparison to the love of Jesus, everything else is secondary. And, without the love of Jesus, everything is useless.” – Pope John Paul II
23. “It is Jesus that you seek when you dream of happiness; He is waiting for you when nothing else you find satisfies you.” – Pope John Paul II
24. “There is no evil to be faced that Christ does not face with us. There is no enemy that Christ has not already conquered.” – Pope John Paul II
25. “The way Jesus shows you is not easy. Rather, it is like a path winding up a mountain. Do not lose heart! The steeper the road, the faster it rises towards ever wider horizons.” – Pope John Paul II
26. “It is Jesus who stirs in you the desire to do something great with your lives.”- Pope John Paul II
27. “The cross means there is no shipwreck without hope; there is no dark without dawn; nor storm without haven.” – Pope John Paul II
28. “Have no fear of moving into the unknown. Simply step out fearlessly knowing that I am with you.” – Pope John Paul II
29. “Prayer finds its source in God’s holiness and it is at the same time our response to this holiness.” – Pope John Paul II
30. “Faith and Reason are like two wings of the human spirit by which is soars to the truth.” – Pope John Paul II
Pope John Paul II Quotes about Peace and Forgiveness
31. “Do not be afraid to take a chance on peace, to teach peace, to live peace…Peace will be the last word of history.” – Pope John Paul II
32. “To reach peace, teach peace.” – Pope John Paul II
33. “There is no true peace without fairness, truth, justice, and solidarity.” – Pope John Paul II
34. “There must be a cooperation of all who believe in God, knowing that authentic religiousness – far from placing individuals and peoples in conflict with one another – rather pushes them together to build a world of peace.” – Pope John Paul II
35. “The obligation to earn one’s bread presumes the right to do so. A society that denies this right cannot be justified, nor can it attain social peace.” – Pope John Paul II
36. “The ethos of redemption is relied in self-mastery, by means of temperance, that is, continence of desires.” – Pope John Paul II
37. “If you want peace, work for justice. If you want justice, defend life. If you want life, embrace truth.” – Pope John Paul II
38. “It’s better to cry than be angry because anger hurts others while tears flow silently through the soul and cleans the heart.” – Pope John Paul II
39. “Forgiveness is above all a personal choice, a decision of the heart to go against the natural instinct to pay back evil with evil.” – Pope John Paul II
40. “The only way to peace is forgiveness.” – Pope John Paul II
Pope John Paul II Quotes about Freedom and Humanity
41. “Learning to think rigorously, so as to act rightly and to serve humanity better.” – Pope John Paul II
42. “Social justice cannot be attained by violence. Violence kills what it intends to create.” – Pope John Paul II
43. “Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought.” – Pope John Paul II
44. “From now on it is only through a conscious choice and through a deliberate policy that humanity can survive.” – Pope John Paul II
45. “A democracy without values easily turns into open or thinly disguised totalitarianism.” – Pope John Paul II
46. “When freedom does not have a purpose when it does not wish to know anything about the rule of law engraved in the hearts of men and women when it does not listen to the voice of conscience, it turns against humanity and society.” – Pope John Paul II
47. “War is a defeat for humanity.” – Pope John Paul II
48. “Humanity should question itself, once more, about the absurd and always unfair phenomenon of war, on whose stage of death and pain only remain standing the negotiating table that could and should have prevented it.” – Pope John Paul II
49. “Wars generally do not resolve the problems for which they are fought and therefore… prove ultimately futile.” – Pope John Paul II
50. “Violence and arms can never resolve the problems of men.” – Pope John Paul II
What did you learn from these Pope John Paul II quotes?
Pope John Paul II was a hardworking individual who overcame many trials and obstacles in life. He learned to speak 15 different languages, which helped him during his priesthood and as Pope.
He was involved in several accidents in life, such as being hit by a German truck during World War II, and survived with a few lasting injuries. The Pope also managed to stay safe through a few close calls with German Nazi’s which could have potentially led to his death.
Pope John Paul II worked hard to bring about positive change in the world while still maintaining the beliefs and standards of the Catholic church.
What’s your biggest takeaway from these Pope John Paul II quotes and sayings? Do you have any other favorite quotes to add? Let us know in the comment section below.
March 25, 2021 7:00 AM EST