Words of wisdom from one of the longest-serving Popes in modern history.
Enjoy these Pope John Paul II quotes!
During his time in the position, Pope John Paul II created lasting change around the world.
He is known as the second longest-serving Pope in modern years and held the position from 1978 until his death in 2005.
During his time as Pope, he worked to help end communism in his home country of Poland along with other areas of Europe.
He also improved the relationship between the Catholic church and other religions.
He made a lasting impact on many people to the point that some people refer to him unofficially as St. John Paul the Great.
Don’t forget to also check out these religious quotes to bring you inner peace.
Check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily inspiration.
Our inspirational quote category page has even more inspirational and educational quotes.
Pope John Paul II quotes about family and marriage
1. “In the newborn child is realized the common good of the family.” ― Pope John Paul II
2. “The history of mankind, the history of salvation, passes by way of the family.” ― Pope John Paul II
3. “As the family goes, so goes the nation and so goes the whole world in which we live.” ― Pope John Paul II
4. “Love that leads to marriage is a gift from God and a great act of faith toward other human beings.” ― Pope John Paul II
5. “The family is placed at the center of the great struggle between good and evil, between life and death, between love and all that is opposed to love.” ― Pope John Paul II
6. “The sickness of a family member, friend, or neighbor is a call to Christians to demonstrate true compassion, that gentle and persevering sharing in another’s pain.” ― Pope John Paul II
7. “To maintain a joyful family requires much from both the parents and the children. Each member of the family has to become, in a special way, the servant of the others.”― Pope John Paul II
8. “The great danger for family life, in the midst of any society whose idols are pleasure, comfort, and independence, lies in the fact that people close their hearts and become selfish.” ― Pope John Paul II
9. “Marriage is an act of will that signifies and involves a mutual gift, which unites the spouses and binds them to their eventual souls, with whom they make up a sole family – a domestic church.” ― Pope John Paul II
10. “We are all one family in the world. Building a community that empowers everyone to attain their full potential through each of us respecting each other’s dignity, rights and responsibilities make the world a better place to live.” ― Pope John Paul II
Pope John Paul II quotes about love and friendship
11. “The worst prison would be a closed heart.” ― Pope John Paul II
12. “Love is never defeated, and I could add, the history of Ireland proves it.” ― Pope John Paul II
13. “Darkness can only be scattered by light, hatred can only be conquered by love.” ― Pope John Paul II
14. “Love between man and woman cannot be built without sacrifices and self-denial.” ― Pope John Paul II
15. “A person’s rightful due is to be treated as an object of love, not as an object for use.” ― Pope John Paul II
16. “A person is an entity of a sort to which the only proper and adequate way to relate is love.” ― Pope John Paul II
17. “Friendship, as has been said, consists in a full commitment of the will to another person with a view to that person’s good.” ― Pope John Paul II
18. “There is no place for selfishness and no place for fear! Do not be afraid, then, when love makes demands. Do not be afraid when love requires sacrifice.” ― Pope John Paul II
19. “When a young man or woman recognizes that authentic love is a precious treasure, they are also enabled to live their sexuality in accordance with the divine plan.” ― Pope John Paul II
20. “Genuine love … is demanding. But its beauty lies precisely in the demands it makes. Only those able to make demands on themselves in the name of love can then demand love from others.” ― Pope John Paul II
Pope John Paul II quotes about faith and hope
21. “Do not be afraid. Do not be satisfied with mediocrity. Put out into the deep and let down your nets for a catch.” ― Pope John Paul II
22. “It is Jesus that you seek when you dream of happiness; He is waiting for you when nothing else you find satisfies you.” ― Pope John Paul II
23. “There is no evil to be faced that Christ does not face with us. There is no enemy that Christ has not already conquered.” ― Pope John Paul II
24. “The way Jesus shows you is not easy. Rather, it is like a path winding up a mountain. Do not lose heart! The steeper the road, the faster it rises towards ever wider horizons.” ― Pope John Paul II
25. “What really matters in life is that we are loved by Christ and that we love Him in return. In comparison to the love of Jesus, everything else is secondary. And, without the love of Jesus, everything is useless.” ― Pope John Paul II
What did you learn from these Pope John Paul II quotes?
Pope John Paul II was a hardworking individual who overcame many trials and obstacles in life.
He learned to speak 15 different languages, which helped him during his priesthood and as Pope.
He was involved in several accidents in life, such as being hit by a German truck during World War II, and survived with a few lasting injuries.
The Pope also managed to stay safe through a few close calls with German Nazi’s which could have potentially led to his death.
Pope John Paul II worked hard to bring about positive change in the world while still maintaining the beliefs and standards of the Catholic church.
What’s your biggest takeaway from these Pope John Paul II quotes and sayings?
Do you have any other favorite quotes to add?
Let us know in the comment section below.
August 10, 2022 5:00 AM EST