Are you a fan of the 80s classic fantasy film The Princess Bride? We have curated some of the best Princess Bride quotes you can find, so you can relive the magic of the cult classic.
What’s your favorite scene from The Princess Bride?
Released in 1987, The Princess Bride is about Westley’s, a farmhand, pursuit of his true love Buttercup, and the cast of characters he meets along the way. The vibrant cast includes Cary Elwes, Robin Wright, Wallace Shawn, and Andre the Giant.
The Princess Bride takes a turn from other fantasy films and embraces its quirky, parodic brand of comedy. This is one of the many reasons this film remains popular more than 30 years after its initial release.
Relive the tales of Westley, Buttercup, Miracle Max, and more in The Princess Bride quotes below.
Don’t forget to also check out our list of The Little Mermaid quotes that will make you sing under the sea.
Princess Bride quotes on love
1. “That day, she was amazed to discover that when he was saying “As you wish,” what he meant was, “I love you.” And even more amazing was the day she realized she truly loved him back.” – Grandpa (Peter Falk)
2. “Death cannot stop true love. All it can do is delay it for a while.” – Westley (Cary Elwes)
3. “You killed my love.” – Buttercup (Robin Wright)
4. “This is true love – you think this happens every day?” – Westley (Cary Elwes)
5. “Since the invention of the kiss, there have been five kisses rated the most passionate, the most pure. This one left them all behind. The end.” – Grandpa (Peter Falk)
6. “Sonny, true love is the greatest thing in the world – except for a nice MLT – mutton, lettuce, and tomato sandwich, where the mutton is nice and lean and the tomatoes are ripe.” – Miracle Max (Billy Crystal)
7. “You can’t hurt me. Westley and I are joined by the bonds of love. And you cannot track that, not with a thousand bloodhounds, and you cannot break it, not with a thousand swords. And when I say you are a coward it is only because you are one of the slimiest weaklings ever to walk the Earth!” – Buttercup (Robin Wright)
8. “You truly love each other and so you might have been truly happy. Not one couple in a century has that chance, no matter what the story books say. And so I think no man in a century will suffer as greatly as you will.” – Prince Humperdinck (Chris Sarandon)
9. “They’re kissing again. Do we have to read the kissing parts?” – The Grandson (Fred Savage)
10. “I will never love again.” – Buttercup (Robin Wright)
Also check out these Doctor Who quotes throughout the seasons.
Princess Bride quotes on life
11. “Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.” – The Man in Black (Cary Elwes)
12. “You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.” – Miracle Max (Billy Crystal)
13. “Get some rest. If you haven’t got your health, then you haven’t got anything.” – Count Rugen (Christopher Guest)
Princess Bride quotes on violence
14. “There will be blood tonight!” – Inigo Montoya (Mandy Patikin)
15. “First things first, to the death.” – Prince Humperdinck (Chris Sarandon)
16. “I could do that. I have some rope up here, but I do not think you would accept my help, since I am only waiting around to kill you.” – Inigo Montoya (Mandy Patikin)
17. “Good night, Westley. Good work. Sleep well. I’ll most likely kill you in the morning.” – Dread Pirate Roberts (Cary Elwes)
18. “You mean, you’ll put down your rock and I’ll put down my sword, and we’ll try and kill each other like civilized people?” – The Man in Black (Cary Elwes)
19. “You never said anything about killing anyone.” – Fezzik (Andre the Giant)
20. “Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.” – Inigo Montoya (Mandy Patikin)
You might also like these Remember the Titans Quotes and lines from the inspiring movie.
Relatable Princess Bride quotes
21. “Inconceivable!” – Vizzini (Wallace Shawn)
22. “My way’s not very sportsman-like.” – Fezzik (Andre the Giant)
23. “I told you I would always come for you. Why didn’t you wait for me?” – Westley (Cary Elwes)
24. “We’ll never succeed. We may as well die here.” – Buttercup (Robin Wright)
25. “That doesn’t leave much time for dilly-dallying.” – Westley (Cary Elwes)
26. “You mocked me once, never do it again! I died that day!” – Buttercup (Robin Wright)
27. “I can’t compete with you physically, and you’re no match for my brains.” – Vizzini (Wallace Shawn)
28. “I’ve never worked for so little. Except once, and that was a very noble cause.” – Miracle Max (Billy Crystal)
29. “We are men of action, lies do not become us.” – Westley (Cary Elwes)
30. “When I was your age, television was called books.” – Grandpa (Peter Falk)
31. “As you wish.” – Westley (Cary Elwes)
32. “You mean you wish to surrender to me? Very well, I accept.” – Westley (Cary Elwes)
33. “That does put a damper on our relationship.” – The Man in Black (Cary Elwes)
34. “I’m not a witch, I’m your wife. But after what you just said, I’m not even sure I want to be that any more.” – Valerie (Carol Kane)
Also check out these inspirational Naruto quotes about life, success and relationships.
Funny Princess Bride Quotes
35. “I just want you to feel you’re doing well. I hate for people to die embarrassed.” – Fezzik (Andre the Giant)
36. “For now, rest well and dream of large women.” – The Man in Black (Cary Elwes)
37. “Your vote of confidence is overwhelming.” – Grandpa (Peter Falk)
38. “I’ll explain and I’ll use small words so that you’ll be sure to understand, you warthog faced buffoon.” – Westley (Cary Elwes)
39. “Keep your shirt on, and let me read.” – Grandpa (Peter Falk)
40. “Have fun stormin’ da castle.” – Miracle Max and Valerie (Billy Crystal and Carol Kane)
41. “You’re trying to kidnap what I’ve rightfully stolen.” – Vizzini (Wallace Shawn)
42. “He’s dead. He can’t talk.” – Inigo Montoya (Mandy Patikin)
43. “There’s a shortage of perfect breasts in this world. It would be a pity to damage yours.” – Westley (Cary Elwes)
More Princess Bride Quotes
44. “Have you ever considered piracy? You’d make a wonderful Dread Pirate Roberts.” – Westley (Cary Elwes)
45. “They’re so perky, I love that.” – Miracle Max (Billy Crystal)
46. “Anybody want a peanut?” – Fezzik (Andre the Giant)
47. “He’s right on top of us. I wonder if he is using the same wind we are using.” – Inigo Montoya (Mandy Patikin)
48. “Who are you? Are we enemies? Why am I on this wall? Where is Buttercup?” – Westley (Cary Elwes)
49. “It’s not my fault being the biggest and the strongest. I don’t even exercise.” – Fezzik (Andre the Giant)
50. “My brains, his steel, and your strength against sixty men, and you think a little head-jiggle is supposed to make me happy?” – Westley (Cary Elwes)
Who’s your favorite character from The Princess Bride?
The standout performance from The Princess Bride has to be from actor Cary Elwes. To portray three characters within the same movie so effortlessly is a skill that cannot be overstated. That diversity in Cary Elwes’ acting skill helped The Princess Bride become a well-known cult classic.
In your day-to-day life, don’t be afraid to step out of your comfort zone and try something new. Remaining open to new experiences broadens your perspective and gives you a chance to diversify your skills.
February 27, 2020 7:10 AM EST