Rediscover your favorite classic Chicano literature with our Sandra Cisneros quotes.
Sandra Cisneros is one of America’s most talented writers.
Her novels and short stories continue to inspire readers.
Learn more with our Sandra Cisneros quotes below.
Who is Sandra Cisneros?
Sandra Cisneros is an American writer who has received many prestigious writing awards and fellowships.
Some of her most-known books are:
- Woman Hollering
- The House on Mango Street
Much of Cisneros’ works concern cultural hybridity, economic equality, and the depth of Mexican culture.
A tale of two countries
Cisneros grew up in a migrant family who moved from Mexico to the United States.
She identifies with Chicana culture.
Chicano/a is a word that describes a reclaimed identity formed by Mexicans in the 1940s who identify with their Native ancestral roots.
Since Chicanos do not have an Anglo-self-image, the word was initially used as a slur.
However, the youth movement of the 40s reclaimed the word in an empowering way.
Her narrative is centered on the experience of “always straddling two countries, but not belonging to either culture.”
The stories she writes about add to the diverse tapestry of American literature.
The House on Mango Street
Reading the house on Mango Street opened my eyes to themes I knew existed but could not find the words to express.
I remember being resistant to reading this classic because I did not think I would relate to it.
The House on Mango Street is a textbook example of the adage, never judge a book by its cover.
More than an accomplished writer
Sandra Cisneros has led an accomplished professional career.
She is a teacher, counselor, and art administrator.
Aside from being a successful author, she remains deeply connected to her community.
She achieved two degrees and received four honorary degrees.
In addition to inspiring cultural pride, she has started two successful nonprofit organizations aimed at giving back.
To learn more, check out our Sandra Cisneros quotes below.
Short Sandra Cisneros quotes about becoming a writer
We begin our list with Cisneros’ reflections on her writing process.
1. “I wanted to become a writer so I could see my name in the card catalog.” — Sandra Cisneros
2. “I felt a failure because I couldn’t sustain myself from what I earned from my writing.” — Sandra Cisneros
3. “Writing is like sewing together what I call these ‘buttons,’ these bits and pieces.” — Sandra Cisneros
4. “For a writer, for the solitude to write, you don’t need a room of your own, you need a house.” — Sandra Cisneros
5. “I am a woman, and I am a Latina. Those are the things that make my writing distinctive.” — Sandra Cisneros
The top Sandra Cisneros quotes on effective writing
Below, Sandra opens up about her writing history and techniques.
6. “At the time I was writing it, it started as my own memoirs but transformed into a piece of fiction.” — Sandra Cisneros
7. “I was silent as a child and silenced as a young woman; I am taking my lumps and bumps for being a big mouth.” — Sandra Cisneros
8. “My father never wanted me to be a writer.” — Sandra Cisneros
9. “And the nice thing about writing a novel is you take your time, you sit with the character sometimes nine years, you look very deeply at a situation.” — Sandra Cisneros
10. “I tell people to write the stories that you’re afraid to talk about.” — Sandra Cisneros
The best Sandra Cisneros quotes about love and communication
This selection is full of wise observations from the accomplished author.
11. “I believe love is always eternal. Even if eternity is only five minutes.” — Sandra Cisneros
12. “The more you speak more languages, the more you understand about yourself.” — Sandra Cisneros
13. “The beauty of literature is you allow readers to see things through other people’s eyes.” — Sandra Cisneros
14. “Hispanic is English for a person of Latino origin who wants to be accepted by the white status quo.” — Sandra Cisneros
15. “I’m just too intelligent, too powerful, too beautiful, too sure of who I am finally to deserve anything less.” — Sandra Cisneros
Famous Sandra Cisneros quotes about family and feminism
Check out this incredible collection of Sandra Cisneros quotes.
16. “I have to understand what my strengths and limitations are and work from a true place.” — Sandra Cisneros
17. “But I deal with this meditating and by understanding, I’ve been put on the planet to serve humanity.” — Sandra Cisneros
18. “My feminism is humanism, with the weakest being those who I represent, and that includes many beings and life forms.” — Sandra Cisneros
19. “I think my family and closest friends are learning about my need to withdraw, and I am learning how to restore and store my energy.” — Sandra Cisneros
20. “I realize that when I moved out of my father’s house, I shocked and frightened him because I needed a space of my own to reinvent myself.” — Sandra Cisneros
Sandra Cisneros quotes and sayings about fear and revenge
We end our list with these insightful quotes.
21. “I’m afraid I’m still trying to find that balance. Especially now that everyone wants a piece of me.” — Sandra Cisneros
22. “Revenge only engenders violence, not clarity and true peace. I think liberation must come from within.” — Sandra Cisneros
23. “My father always defined my gender to my brothers. He’d say, ‘This is your sister; you must take care of her.” — Sandra Cisneros
24. “I try to be as honest about what I see and to speak rather than be silent, especially if it means I can save lives or serve humanity.” — Sandra Cisneros
25. “I liked the books I read that said things like ‘I shan’t.’” — Sandra Cisneros
Keep an open mind
Cisneros attributes her success to keeping an open mind and trying new things.
She does not limit herself to one form of literature.
She notes, “I’ve always read broadly: literary fiction, sci-fi, fantasy, chick-lit, historical, dystopian, nonfiction, memoir.”
What is your favorite Sandra Cisneros quote?
Share it with your friends and let us know in the comments.
Check out these related lifestyle articles:
Inspirational biographies, however, provide insight into the life struggles of the rich and successful.
This is a collection of the best motivational books proven to transform a person. (Yes, really!)
These inspirational quotes about breaking your limits will help you answer a few questions that could change the course of your life!
Introduce yourself to some wise words and concepts that will provide inspiration or advice to help us fulfill our potential and allow us to live the life we were destined to live.
Check out these related quote articles:
Explore the rich heritage and empower your Chicano identity with a collection of thought-provoking and inspiring Chicano quotes.
Anyone looking for an example of a woman that has achieved great things will enjoy these Ellen Ochoa quotes!
Searching for inspirational quotes from the multi-talented A-List celeb Jennifer Lopez? These Jennifer Lopez quotes are just what you’re looking for.
Get ready to be motivated into making a difference with these Cesar Chavez quotes. His passion and insight will inspire you to take action of your own.