Whether you’re new to the practice of meditation or you just need some encouragement to continue on, these meditation quotes will inspire you to focus your mind and redirect your thoughts.
Calming your mind is no easy feat, especially in this fast-paced modern world that we live in. When you’re constantly connected, with no sense of boundaries between work life and home life, it’s no wonder that your body and mind are burned out and tired.
That’s why meditation has become so popular is Western societies in the last few decades – as a respite and reprieve from the anxieties and worries of modern life.
Why is meditation important?
It seems almost silly to sit and do nothing, but meditation can help with so many different ailments and lead to a happier life.
If you need some encouragement to pick up or continue your practice, take a look at our meditation quotes. We’ve combed through tons of meditation quotes to find the best ones to inspire you to practice meditation and to relax your mind in this hectic world.
No matter what kind of life you live, you can find a way to release stress with meditation. Below is our collection of inspirational, wise, and powerful meditation quotes and sayings.
Calm Your Mind with These Meditation Quotes
1. “Half an hour’s meditation each day is essential, except when you are busy. Then a full hour is needed.” – Saint Francis de Sales
2. “Sleep is the best meditation.” – Dalai Lama
3. “Meditation has been a loyal friend to me. It has helped me write my books.” – Alice Walker
4. “This is love: the flowering of love is meditation.” – Jiddu Krishnamurti
5. “Many scientists think that philosophy has no place, so for me it’s a sad time because the role of reflection, contemplation, meditation, self inquiry, insight, intuition, imagination, creativity, free will, is in a way not given any importance, which is the domain of philosophers.” – Deepak Chopra
6. “The real meditation practice is how we live our lives from moment to moment to moment.” – Jon Kabat-Zinn
7. “At the end of the day, I can end up just totally wacky, because I’ve made mountains out of molehills. With meditation, I can keep them as molehills.” – Ringo Starr
8. “Writing is a very focused form of meditation. Just as good as sitting in a lotus position.” – Alan Moore
9. “I’ve been practicing modalities of Eastern philosophy since about 1972. What I’ve learned through my meditation is a sense of equanimity, a sense of all things being equal.” – Goldie Hawn
10. “Meditation is the tongue of the soul and the language of our spirit.” –Jeremy Taylor
Don’t forget to also read these soothing breathe quotes to help you relax.
Meditation quotes to relax your mind
11. “Without meditation, I’d probably be dead.” – Mike Love
12. “Meditation can be like a battle with yourself, your thoughts, your body.” – Tara Stiles
13. “Meditation, especially for people who don’t know very much about it and think it’s this very hippy dippy thing, can really be powerful, terrifying even, as it lifts the rug up on your subconscious and the dust comes flying out.” – Amanda Palmer
14. “The purpose of meditation is personal transformation.” – Henepola Gunaratana
15. “We may not realise it, but dancing is a form of meditation.” – Neve Campbell
16. “I’ve never been good at meditation, but surfing is the closest I’ve ever come to that inner something.” – Yvonne Strahovski
17. “Morning meditation is important to start every day on a positive note.” – Susan Burton
18. “We tend to think of meditation in only one way. But life itself is a meditation.” – Raul Julia
19. “Walking is magic. Can’t recommend it highly enough. I read that Plato and Aristotle did much of their brilliant thinking together while ambulating. The movement, the meditation, the health of the blood pumping, and the rhythm of footsteps… this is a primal way to connect with one’s deeper self.” – Paula Cole
20. “Watching birds has become part of my daily meditation affirming my connection to the earth body.” – Carol P. Christ
Meditation quotes to inspire your practice
21. “Meditation is the soul’s perspective glass.” – Owen Feltham
22. “Quiet the mind, and the soul will speak.” – Ma Jaya Sati Bhagavati
23. “Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.” – Buddha
24. “Calmness of mind is one of the beautiful jewels of wisdom.” – James Allen
25. “Whatever is fluid, soft, and yielding will overcome whatever is rigid and hard. What is soft is strong.” – Lao Tzu
26. “To really do nothing, with perfection, is as difficult as doing everything.” – Alan Watts
27. “Praying is talking to the Universe. Meditation is listening to it.” – Paulo Coelho
28. “Meditation is the ultimate mobile device; you can use it anywhere, anytime, unobtrusively.” – Sharon Salzberg
29. “Meditation is not spacing-out or running away. In fact, it is being totally honest with ourselves.” – Kathleen McDonald
30. “Within you there is a stillness and sanctuary to which you can retreat at any time and be yourself.” – Hermann Hesse
Meditation quotes to give you peace
31. “Meditation is the dissolution of thoughts in eternal awareness or Pure consciousness without objectification, knowing without thinking, merging finitude in infinity.” – Voltaire
32. “Truth is the offspring of silence and meditation.” – Isaac Newton
33. “If you meditate regularly, even when you don’t feel like it, you will make great gains, for it will allow you to see how your thoughts impose limits on you. Your resistances to meditation are your mental prisons in miniature.” – Ram Dass (see more Ram Dass quotes)
34. “Meditation is the weight room for the mind.” – Ed Latimore
35. “Meditation is not you going through thoughts – it’s letting thoughts go through you.” – Naval Ravikant
36. “While meditating we are simply seeing what the mind has been doing all along.” – Allan Lokos
37. “Many people are alive but don’t touch the miracle of being alive.” –Thich Nhat Hanh
38. “Be the master of mind rather than mastered by mind.” – Japanese proverb
39. “Muddy water is best cleared by leaving it alone.” – Alan Watts
40. “A happy life consists in tranquility of mind.” – Marcus Tullius Cicero
More quotes about meditation to inspire you
41. “The only way to live is by accepting each minute as an unrepeatable miracle.” – Tara Brach
42. “Doing a three-minute meditation every day may change your life: It is the gateway drug to slowing down.” – Anne Lamott
43. “I have been a seeker and I still am, but I stopped asking the books and the stars. I started listening to the teaching of my soul.” – Rumi
44. “Meditation is painful in the beginning but it bestows immortal bliss and supreme joy in the end.” – Swami Sivananda
45. “Remain calm, serene, always in command of yourself. You will then find out how easy it is to get along.” – Paramahansa Yogananda
46. “Our thinking minds deprive us of the happiness that comes when we are living fully in the moment.” – Ram Dass
47. “To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire wisdom, one must observe.” – Marilyn vos Savant
48. “Self-knowledge is the first step to maturity.” – Jane Austen
49. “Meditation is such a more substantial reality than what we normally take to be reality.” – Richard Gere
50. “Silence is not an absence but a presence.” – Anne D. LeClaire
You might also like these Chakra quotes about meditation and the body.
Which of these meditation quotes inspired you to still your mind?
Whether you’re new to the practice of meditation or you just need some encouragement to continue on, we hope that this selection of meditation quotes has helped to calm your mind and fill your heart with wonderful energy and love.
So many famously kind and influential people have benefited from this ancient practice, and there’s scientific evidence that it can help with various ailments and illnesses. Even if you’re just starting out, meditating for as little as fifteen minutes a day can amazing effects on both your mind and body.
Give your mind and body a break with a relaxing session of meditation, and you’ll be sure to feel the effects start to ripple outward into the rest of your life. Start your day with meditation and meditation quotes to fuel the best lifestyle possible.
December 17, 2019 7:15 AM EST