Each one of us has a community that gives us a sense of belonging.
Just when you are beginning to feel alone, these quotes about community will remind you of your special place in the world.
Some of these community quotes may be familiar, while others may be new to you.
Nevertheless, they’ll make you understand that we are all connected to others and that we are truly defined by our kindness and service to the people around us.
What are you doing to improve your community?
The quotes below will remind you of the value that diversity brings to a community, building strong leaders and helping people work together to achieve great things.
As you read through these community quotes, consider what strengths you can contribute to your own community, and where you may have room to grow.
You never know what you may learn.
Also, check out our list of quotes from Breakfast Club on some of the different stereotypes that exist within communities.
If you enjoy this article, check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily motivation.
Browse our entire collection of inspirational quotes for more motivating ideas and concepts.
Community quotes about connection
1.) “The golden way is to be friends with the world and to regard the whole human family as one.” – Mahatma Gandhi
You will also enjoy our article on respect quotes.
2.) “The power of community to create health is far greater than any physician, clinic or hospital.” – Mark Hyman
You will also enjoy our article on home quotes.
3.) “Every person is defined by the communities she belongs to.” – Orson Scott Card
You will also enjoy our article on welcome quotes.
4.) “We were born to unite with our fellow men, and to join in community with the human race.” – Cicero
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of unity quotes about bringing people together.
5.) “Diversity: the art of thinking independently together.” – Malcolm Forbes
You will also enjoy our article on quotes about helping others.
6.) “We have all known the long loneliness and we have learned that the only solution is love and that love comes with community.” – Dorothy Day
You will also enjoy our article on being used quotes.
7.) “Our generation has the ability and the responsibility to make our ever-more connected world a more hopeful, stable and peaceful place.” – Natalie Portman
You will also enjoy our article on family quotes.
8.) “Some people think they are in community, but they are only in proximity. True community requires commitment and openness. It is a willingness to extend yourself to encounter and know the other.” – David Spangler
You will also enjoy our article on support quotes
9.) “No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main” – John Donne
You will also enjoy our article on culture quotes.
10.) “What should young people do with their lives today? Many things, obviously. But the most daring thing is to create stable communities in which the terrible disease of loneliness can be cured.” – Kurt Vonnegut
You will also enjoy our article on Rod Wave quotes.
11.) “One of the marvelous things about community is that it enables us to welcome and help people in a way we couldn’t as individuals. When we pool our strength and share the work and responsibility, we can welcome many people, even those in deep distress, and perhaps help them find self-confidence and inner healing.” – Jean Vanier
12.) “It is not more bigness that should be our goal. We must attempt, rather, to bring people back to the warmth of community, to the worth of individual effort and responsibility, and of individuals working together as a community, to better their lives and their children’s future.” – Robert F. Kennedy
You will also enjoy our article on Service quotes.
13.) “Saints cannot exist without a community, as they require, like all of us, nurturance by a people who, while often unfaithful, preserve the habits necessary to learn the story of God.” – Stanley Hauerwas
If you enjoy this article, check out our collection of “it takes a village” quotes for increasing unity.
Quotes About Community and Diversity
14.) “If a man is to survive, he will have learned to take a delight in the essential differences between men and between cultures. He will learn that differences in ideas and attitudes are a delight, part of life’s exciting variety, not something to fear.” – Gene Roddenberry
15.) “We all should know that diversity makes for a rich tapestry, and we must understand that all the threads of the tapestry are equal in value no matter what their color.” – Maya Angelou
16.) “Teaching kids how to feed themselves and how to live in a community responsibly is the center of an education.” – Alice Waters
17.) “The world is so empty if one thinks only of mountains, rivers & cities; but to know someone who thinks & feels with us, & who, though distant, is close to us in spirit, this makes the earth for us an inhabited garden.” – Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
18.) “Diversity is about all of us, and about us having to figure out how to walk through this world together.” – Jacqueline Woodson
19.) “I know there is strength in the differences between us. I know there is comfort, where we overlap.” – Ani DiFranco
20.) “Isn’t it amazing that we are all made in God’s image, and yet there is so much diversity among his people?” – Desmond Tutu
21.) “Diversity in the world is a basic characteristic of human society, and also the key condition for a lively and dynamic world as we see today.” – Jinato Hu
22.) “The minute we become an integrated whole, we look through the same eyes and we see a whole different world together.” – Azizah Al-Hibri
Also, read these quotes about culture and its power in society.
Community Quotes About Kindness
23.) “One of the most important things you can do on this earth is to let people know they are not alone.” – Shannon L. Alder
24.) “Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.” – Leo Buscaglia
25.) “Wherever there is a human being, there is an opportunity for a kindness.” – Lucius Annaeus Seneca
26.) “The smallest act of kindness is worth more than the grandest intention.” – Oscar Wilde
27.) “It is nice to be important, but more important to be nice.” – Walter Winchell
28.) “For a community to be whole and healthy, it must be based on people’s love and concern for each other.” – Millard Fuller
29.) “No man can become rich without himself enriching others.” – Andrew Carnegie
30.) “Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see.” – Mark Twain
31.) “For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.” – Audrey Hepburn
32.) “Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough.” – Franklin D. Roosevelt
33.) “The greatness of a community is most accurately measured by the compassionate actions of its members.” – Coretta Scott King
34.) “We cannot live only for ourselves. A thousand fibers connect us with our fellow men.” – Herman Melville
35.) “This world of ours… must avoid becoming a community of dreadful fear and hate, and be, instead, a proud confederation of mutual trust and respect.” – Dwight D. Eisenhower
You might also like these firefighter quotes and sayings to appreciate our hometown heroes.
Quotes About Community and Leadership
36.) “I alone cannot change the world, but I can cast a stone across the waters to create many ripples.” – Mother Teresa
37.) “I am of the opinion that my life belongs to the whole community and as long as I live, it is my privilege to do for it whatever I can. I want to be thoroughly used up when I die, for the harder I work the more I live.” – George Bernard Shaw
38.) “An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity.” – Martin Luther King
39.) “We do not need magic to change the world, we carry all the power we need inside ourselves already: we have the power to imagine better.” – J.K. Rowling
40.) “The greatest leader is not necessarily the one who does the greatest things. He is the one that gets the people to do the greatest things.” – Ronald Reagan
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of Ronald Reagan quotes from the former United States President.
41.) “A genuine leader is not a searcher for consensus but a molder of consensus.” – Martin Luther King, Jr.
42.) “I suppose leadership at one time meant muscles; but today it means getting along with people.” – Mahatma Gandhi
43.) “I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” – Maya Angelou
44.) “Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country.” – John F. Kennedy
45.) “There is immense power when a group of people with similar interests gets together to work toward the same goals.” – Idowu Koyenikan
46.) “Every successful individual knows that his or her achievement depends on a community of persons working together.” – Paul Ryan
47.) “Leaders instill in their people a hope for success and a belief in themselves. Positive leaders empower people to accomplish their goals.” – Brian Tracy
Also check out these wise Native American quotes on community, respect, and more.
Community Quotes on Volunteering
48.) “The true meaning of life is to plant trees under whose shade you do not expect to sit.” – Nelson Henderson
49.) “We cannot live only for ourselves. A thousand fibers connect us with our fellow men.” – Herman Melville
50.) “If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito.” – Betty Reese
51.) “Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth.” – Muhammad Ali
52.) “Volunteers don’t get paid, not because they’re worthless, but because they’re priceless.” – Sherry Anderson
53.) “Remember that the happiest people are not those getting more, but those giving more.” – H. Jackson Brown Jr.
54.) “The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.” – Mahatma Gandhi
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of quotes about service about the power of serving others.
55.) “Life’s most persistent and urgent question is, ‘What are you doing for others?’” – Martin Luther King, Jr.
56.) “The purpose of life is not to be happy, but to matter – to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all.” – Leo Rosten
57.) “It’s easy to make a buck. It’s a lot tougher to make a difference.” – Tom Brokaw
58.) “How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world.” – Anne Frank
59.) “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It’s not.” – Dr. Seuss
60.) “Success isn’t about how much money you make; it’s about the difference you make in people’s lives.” – Michelle Obama
You might also like these wise Native American quotes on community, respect, and more.
Community quotes about coming together
61. “The closest natural area to you is the wild, naturally intelligent biological community within you.” – Michael J. Cohen
62. “Every community is called to be an instrument for the liberation and promotion of the poor.” – Jonathan Pryce
63. “A sense of community strengthens people’s faith in humanity.” – Jessica Marie Baumgartner
64. “You may be a savior for your community- it’s only a matter of synchronicity.” – Hrishikesh Agnihotri
65. “People are never truly alone or separate from community, and cannot be.” – Ichiro Kishimi
66. “All community is in some way imagined.” – Stan Grant
67. “A community best serves itself when it truly serves the awakening of the unique story trying to come to life through each person born.” – Michael Meade
68. “Community is a context and can either facilitate or inhibit the movement of change for the individual.” – Sharon Weil
69. “It is in community where we find our very selves.” – Chris Matakas
70. “In our community, we have a duty to strengthen the weakest among us to build a better society.” – Bill Courtney
More community quotes and sayings
71. “If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.” –Mother Teresa
72. “By prayer, community is created as well as expressed.” – Henri Nouwen
73. “Giving connects two people, the giver and the receiver, and this connection gives birth to a new sense of belonging.” – Deepak Chopra
74. “A community that is engaged and working together can be a powerful force.” – Idowu Koyenikan
75. “Community is like a big family.” – Zygmunt Bauman
76. “Community is gathering around a fire and listening to someone tell a story.” – Bill Maher
77. “Community is where humility and glory touch.” – Henri Nouwen
78. “Community living is about having the same rights and choices as everyone else.” – Ari Neeman
79. “If you support the community, they will support you.” – Jerry Greenfield
80. “It is vain to talk of the interest of the community, without understanding what is the interest of the individual.” – Jeremy Bentham
Community quotes that are full of wisdom
81. “When individuals and communities do not govern self, they risk being ruled by external forces that care less about the well-being of the village.” ― T.F. Hodge
82. “People will typically be more enthusiastic where they feel a sense of belonging and see themselves as part of a community than they will in a workplace in which each person is left to his own devices.” ― Alfie Kohn
83. “It only takes one person to mobilize a community and inspire change. Even if you don’t feel like you have it in you, it’s in you. You have to believe in yourself. People will see your vision and passion and follow you.” – Teyonah Parris
84. “The way you get meaning into your life is to devote yourself to loving others, devote yourself to your community around you, and devote yourself to creating something that gives you purpose and meaning.” – Mitch Albom
85. “We are constituted so that simple acts of kindness, such as giving to charity or expressing gratitude, have a positive effect on our long-term moods. The key to the happy life, it seems, is the good life: a life with sustained relationships, challenging work, and connections to community.” – Paul Bloom
86. “I am a huge believer in giving back and helping out in the community and the world. Think globally, act locally I suppose. I believe that the measure of a person’s life is the affect they have on others.” – Steve Nash
87. “We must become bigger than we have been: more courageous, greater in spirit, larger in outlook. We must become members of a new race, overcoming petty prejudice, owing our ultimate allegiance not to nations but to our fellow men within the human community.” – Haile Selassie
88. “A true community is not just about being geographically close to someone or part of the same social web network. It’s about feeling connected and responsible for what happens. Humanity is our ultimate community, and everyone plays a crucial role.” – Yehuda Berg
89. “Without community service, we would not have a strong quality of life. It’s important to the person who serves as well as the recipient. It’s the way in which we ourselves grow and develop.” – Dorothy Height
90. “A healthy social life is found only when, in the mirror of each soul, the whole community finds its reflection, and when, in the whole community, the virtue of each one is living.” – Rudolf Steiner
Community quotes important for all of us
91. “Communication leads to community, that is, to understanding, intimacy and mutual valuing.” –Rollo May
92. “Without a sense of caring, there can be no sense of community.” –Anthony J. D’Angelo
93. “A community is like a ship; everyone ought to be prepared to take the helm.” –Henrik Ibsen
94. “The need for connection and community is primal, as fundamental as the need for air, water, and food.” –Dean Ornish
95. “In every community, there is work to be done. In every nation, there are wounds to heal. In every heart, there is the power to do it.” –Marianne Williamson
96. “The way to change the world is through individual responsibility and taking local action in your own community.” –Jeff Bridges
97. “Empathy is the starting point for creating a community and taking action. It’s the impetus for creating change.” –Max Carver
98. “Law; an ordinance of reason for the common good, made by him who has care of the community.” –Thomas Aquinas
99. “Quality of life actually begins at home – it’s in your street, around your community.” –Charles Kennedy
100. “Do not let where you come from define you, but never forget the values you learned from your close community.” –Anthony Carmona
Community quotes about the importance of not being alone
101. “Pull up a chair. Take a taste. Come join us. Life is so endlessly delicious.” -Ruth Reichl
102. “Strength lies in differences, not in similarities.” -Stephen R. Covey
103. “But many of us seek community solely to escape the fear of being alone. Knowing how to be solitary is central to the art of loving. When we can be alone, we can be with others without using them as a means of escape.” -Bell Hooks
104. “Healing is impossible in loneliness; it is the opposite of loneliness. Conviviality is healing. To be healed we must come with all the other creatures to the feast of Creation.” –Wendell Berry
105. “We don’t heal in isolation, but in community.” -S. Kelley Harrell
106. “Many people are good at talking about what they are doing, but in fact do little. Others do a lot but don’t talk about it; they are the ones who make a community live.” -Jean Vanier
107. “To build community requires vigilant awareness of the work we must continually do to undermine all the socialization that leads us to behave in ways that perpetuate domination.” -Bell Hooks
108. “Community is a sign that love is possible in a materialistic world where people so often either ignore or fight each other. It is a sign that we don’t need a lot of money to be happy–in fact, the opposite.” -Jean Vanier
109. “We need to bridge our sense of loneliness and disconnection with a sense of community and continuity even if we must manufacture it from our time on the Web and our use of calling cards to connect long distance. We must “log on” somewhere, and if it is only in cyberspace, that is still far better than nowhere at all.” -Julia Cameron
110. “If you are a leader or someone who works for the interest of a community, first make sure that you understand the interest of the people who make up that community. In this way, you will have a good chance of minimizing, perhaps, avoiding the us versus them mentality.” -Duop Chak Wuol
Community Quotes To Promote Peaceful Coexistence
111. “A community needs a soul if it is to become a true home for human beings.” — Pope John Paul II
112. “When the people who support and are a part of your community, the community you have… that’s where all the best business happens.” — Chris Brogan.
113. “There is no power for change greater than a community discovering what it cares about.” — Margaret J. Wheatley
114. “The community stagnates without the impulse of the individual; the impulse dies away without the sympathy of the community.” — William James
115. “As the world community develops in peace, it will open up great untapped reservoirs in human nature.” — Emily Greene Balch
116. “When several villages are united in a single complete community, large enough to be nearly or quite self-sufficing, the state comes into existence, originating in the bare needs of life, and continuing in existence for the sake of a good life.” — Aristotle
117. “A community is made up of intimate relationships among diversified types of individuals.” — Carroll Quigley
118. “We should all exercise our gift to build community.” — Jean Vanier
119. “Community is universal love.” — H. Marsh
120. “Communities are not produced by sentiment or mere goodwill. They grow out of a shared struggle.” — Larry Harvey
Community Quotes On Potential Of Achieving More Together
121. “As we search for a less extractive and polluting economic order, so that we may fit agriculture into the economy of a sustainable culture, community becomes the locus and metaphor for both agriculture and culture.” ― Wes Jackson
122. “When the individual feels, the community reels.” — Aldous Huxley
123. The community protects and shares out of caring; love is never far away.” — Peter Abrahams
124. “A growing community must integrate three elements: a life of silent prayer, a life of service and above all of listening to the poor, and a community life through which all its members can grow in their own gift.” ― Jean Vanier
125. “Where there is no community, trust, respect, and ethical behavior are difficult for the young to learn and for the old to maintain.” ― Robert K. Greenleaf
126. “The same process that makes AA so effective—the power of a group to teach individuals how to believe—happens whenever people come together to help one another change. Belief is easier when it occurs within a community.” ― Charles Duhigg
127. “Community is composed of that which we don’t attempt to measure, for which we keep no record and ask no recompense. Most are things we cannot measure no matter how hard we try.” ― Dee Hock
128. “The GR site has acquired its market value through the work of its community.” ― G.R. Reader
129. “But today the united city has ceased to exist; there is no more communion of ideas. The town is a chance agglomeration of people who do not know one another, who have no common interest, save that of enriching themselves at the expense of one another.” ― Pyotr Kropotkin
130. “When the highest value in a community is loyalty to the greater cause, meaning the continuity of the status quo, all means to this end are imbued with religious significance, and are thereby justified. “Hasidic Noir” ― Pearl Abraham
Community Quotes To Express Importance of Unity For Progress
131. “We are not just a species, we are also a cause – the cause of community – the cause of dignity – the cause of sensibility – the cause of life, light and sanity.” ― Abhijit Naskar
132.“Christlikeness finds its fullest expression in community, collaboration, and collectivity.” ― Daniel Becerra
133.“To build a perfect community, society or world. It all starts with you, your actions and how you behave. What you condone and disapprove of.” ― De philosopher DJ Kyos
134. “There’s no greater dream better than the one that benefits a community.” ― Kenneth Mahuka
135.“Community makes us all. Secret society breaks us all.” ― Abhi Raynott
136. “Advocacy is empathy, compassion and community at work.” ― Janna Cachola
137. “Society means community, society means unity, society means sacrifice – if these forces run through your body like blood, then only you are a human.” ― Abhijit Naskar
138. “Striving to communicate with integrity, committing to seeing and being seen, is a slow art that requires vulnerability, brings dignity, and fosters healthy community.” ― Ellie Roscher
139. “Community means compatriot unity, Unity means undivided amity, Amity means affectionate sanity, Sanity means serene humanity.” ― Abhijit Naskar
140. “Realize community can come from any place where you find sacrificial, self-giving love.” ― Karl Forehand
Community Quotes That Bring About Unity
141. “No one can separate themselves from one’s social group and remain healthy, because the very structure of personality is dependent on the community.” — Rollo May
142. “The common characteristics of people make a community possible, but it is their uncommon qualities that make it better.” — John Henry Fischer
143. “Decent work is at the heart of the search for dignity for the individual, stability for the family and peace in the community.” — Juan Somavia
144. “Nothing is more devastating to a community than out-of-control crime.” — Alan Autry
145. “Only world law can assure progress towards a civilized peaceful community.” — Albert Einstein
146. “In and through community lies the salvation of the world.” — M. Scott Peck
147. “Little movements of communities of ordinary radicals are committed to doing small things with great love.” — Shane Claiborne
148. “If you never encounter anything in your community that offends you, then you are not living in a free society.” — Kim Campbell
149. “The future of every community lies in capturing the passion, imagination, and resources of its people.” — Ernesto Sirolli
150. “I’m as interested in the families and communities that surround our soldiers.” — Robyn Carr
Community Quotes To Encourage Togetherness For Success
151. “I think tolerance and acceptance and love is something that feeds every community.” — Lady Gaga
152. “Educate a boy, and you educate an individual. Educate a girl, and you educate a community.” ― Adelaide Hoodless
153. “The essence of community, its heart and soul, is the non-monetary exchange of value; things we do and share because we care for others, and for the good of the place.” ― Dee Hock
154. “I’m a reflection of the community.” — Tupac Shakur
155. “Each member of community gives himself to it, at the moment of its foundation.” — Jean-Jacques Rousseau
156. “A community is alive when it is poor and its members feel they have to work together and remain united, if only to ensure that they can all eat tomorrow!” — Jean Vanier
157. “We are not our brother’s keeper we are our brother and we are our sister. We must look past complexion and see community.” — Maya Angelou
158. “When community standards are enforced, there is constraint and cooperation. When everyone minds his own business and looks the other way, there is freedom and anomie.” ― Jonathan Haidt
159. “Any virtual community that works, works because people put in some time.” — Howard Rheingold
160. “It takes collaboration across a community to develop better skills for better lives.” — Jose Angel Gurria
Community Quotes To Inspire Your Sense Of Belonging
161. “He who masters the power formed by a group of people working together has within his grasp one of the greatest powers known to man.” ― Idowu Koyenikan
162. “You’re radically collaborative, profoundly empathetic, and deeply communal. Everyone who tells you anything different is selling the fear that is the only thing that can break that nature.” ― Hank Green
163. “People do not naturally become morally excellent or practically wise. They become so, if at all, only as the result of lifelong personal and community effort.” — Aristotle
164. “Community is not an ideal; it is people. It is you and I. In community we are called to love people just as they are with their wounds and their gifts, not as we want them to be.” — Jean Vanier
165. “We live in a community of people not so that we can suppress and dominate eachother or make each other miserable but so that we can better and more reliably satisfy all life’s healthy needs.” ― Wilhelm Reich
166. “If you believe you can make a difference, then you will make a difference. Believe in yourself, your family and your community and you will win.” — Lindsay Fox
167. “We must delight in each other, make others conditions our own, rejoice together, mourn together, labor and suffer together, always having before our eyes our commission and community in the work, our community as members of the same body.” ― John Winthrop
168. “Teamwork and community have been incredibly important to me as of late. You can get a lot done by yourself, but a collaborative effort can take you even further.” — Robin S. Baker
169. “It is so important we network and run this race together because, in the end, we will overcome the obstacles together to grow not only our businesses but our communities.” — Jeffrey G. Duarte
170. “Living in a community normally boosts one’s chances of surviving and thriving. We can share food and huddle against the cold; we can organize to attack prey or to defend each other against invaders.” ― Patricia S. Churchland
How does your community enrich you, and in return, how do you contribute to it?
Consider these perspectives on community as you travel through the journey of life.
Along your path, you will meet many people from diverse backgrounds.
Sometimes their differences may surprise you or make you uncomfortable.
However, whether you are a leader of a group or an everyday member of your community, there is always room for kindness and service to others.
These actions ultimately measure your success in life and will help you feel accomplished and fulfilled.
When we give to others, even those who seem so different from us, we give back to our own selves in so many ways.
Which of these insightful community quotes resonated with you best?
Do you have any other inspirational quotes to add?
Let us know in the comment section below.