Show off your best side with our twirl quotes.
No matter how you slice it, twirling is just fun.
Explore some history and learn something new with our twirl quotes.
What is a twirl?
To twirl simply means to spin.
We twirl all sorts of things: gum, hair, bodies, and even people.
Professional twirling is a sport where people dance with a large baton or mace.
Check out these interesting twirling facts:
- Baton twirling originates in Asia and part of Europe
- Original twirlers used knives and guns to dance at festivals.
- After WWII, the rifles were replaced with a mace or large baton.
The history of twirling
Like many aspects of modern life, twirlers started from war.
Baton twirling was popular in different parts of Asia and Europe.
This tradition is very old and goes back generations.
People would display their twirling skills at festivals or carnivals in older times.
These performances entertained audiences and built up respect and admiration for the military.
Early twirlers used rifles or knives to accentuate their dance.
The precision movements and amazing balance would wow audiences.
Twirling after WWII
After World War II, twirling gained more popularity in the United States.
The rifles and knives were switched out for the mace, a large baton with streamers on the end.
Twirlers stopped being associated with military functions and focused on parades and entertainment.
Humans are naturally competitive, so twirling became a sport where people aimed to outperform one another over time.
The United States Twirling Association was founded in 1958 and is the first democratically elected twirling association.
They use an Olympic scoring system for judging competitions.
Today, thousands of people participate recreationally and competitively.
Twirling is one of the most popular sports in the United States.
Because of its inclusivity and low-impact nature, people of all ages passionately twirl.
Young children and elderly communities love twirling and continue to evolve the sport.
To learn more, check out our twirl quotes below.
Short twirl quotes to keep you spinning
We begin our twirl journey with these short and sweet quotes.
1. “I’m not twirling.” — Viola Davis
2. “Shall we twirl down the middle?” — Henry Austin Dobson
3. “You know, I twirled once, and I almost fell.” — Viola Davis
4. “Think of a glass ball twirling on your fingertip.” — Mary E. Pearson
5. “It looks ridiculous. So I said I’m not twirling anymore.” — Viola Davis
6. “Years ago, when I got stuck, I’d start twirling my hair.” — Eric Schlosser
7. “Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton.” — Dean Koontz
8. “I’ve got to go back; got all this stuff twirling around in my head. — Herman Cain
9. “Here’s what they know about: spray tans, fake boobs, and baton twirling.” — Bill Maher
10. “And the crowd broke up, and we did a twirl or two around the dance floor.” — Barbara Mikulski
The top twirling hair and mustache quotes for evil villains and little girls
Who twirls hair better than villains or little girls? Nobody, that’s who.
11. “I refresh Twitter as thoughtlessly as some twirl their hair.” — Lena Dunham
12. “It was like a bad movie except he didn’t actually twirl his mustache.” — Cassandra Clare
13. “You know what I mean. Like a silly, annoying girl, I twirl my hair around my finger.” — Veronica Roth
14. “So what do you wear to dump somebody? she asked me, twirling a lock of hair around one finger.” — Sarah Dessen
15. “I drank of each at various times, twirling my mustache and listening with attention to that headier draught.” — Louis L’Amour
16. “My fear was that I didn’t want to join something where I was just going to be this prop and this mustache-twirling character.” — Shawn Hatosy
17. “They were both totally laughing, and he was twirling her, and her hair was flying around like she was in a shampoo commercial.” — Ally Carter
18. “Her most irate supporters constantly squawk or bellyache or tweet about how unfair a ride she gets from evil mustache-twirling elites.” — Matt Labash
19. “I can’t say that I haven’t done some bad acting in my time. I have. Usually, that involves what we actors call indicating when you twirl your mustache.” — Billy Campbell
20. “The train is roaring toward you, and the villain is twirling his mustache, and you’re fussing that he’s tied you to the tracks with the wrong kind of rope.” — Robin McKinley
The best twirl quotes for head-spinning style
These quotes show why twirls never go out of style.
21. “I actually don’t even twirl anymore.” — Viola Davis
22. “They say, twirl, let us see your back.” — Viola Davis
23. “Our models might not work. And that twirling, changing, is part of the empowerment.” — Bell Hooks
24. “This is my favorite dance because it contains a secret. The faster I twirl, the more I am still inside.” — Allie Bon
25. “I just tell ’em, “I do not twirl. If you want to see my back, when I walk away, you can take a picture of it.” — Viola Davis
26. “As long as mother sticks around in the wings, the mighty acrobat confidently performs his trick of twirling in circles.” — Louise J. Kaplan
27. “It may make your back ache occasionally, but you will have the satisfaction of hanging it or twirling it to suit yourself.” — Henry David Thoreau
28. “One of the things that we must do as teachers is twirl around and around and find out what works with the situation that we’re in.” — Bell Hooks
29. “I have always been very open and earnest about some things in my life, some things that are not directly in my life, but they’re twirling around me at the time.” — Ben Gibbard
30. “I have seen many people who, while you are speaking to them, instead of looking at and attending to you, fix their eyes upon the ceiling or some other part of the room, look out of the window, play with a dog, twirl their snuff-box, or pick their nose.” — Lord Chesterfield
Famous twirl quotes for having fun
What is more fun than twirling around in your favorite dress?
31. “He inclined his head at my dress. What’s the occasion? Homecoming, I said, twirling.” — Becca Fitzpatrick
32. “Yeah, shouted Jonah, twirling the much larger Hamilton around the restaurant in a victory dance.” — Gordon Korman
33. “Marriage is like twirling a baton, turning handsprings, or eating with chopsticks. It looks easy until you try it” — Helen Rowland
34. “All the parts of a ball are still there, but it will never twirl with that force on your fingertip again. The brain is the same way.” — Mary E. Pearson
35. “We cannot protect ourselves from trouble, but we can dance through the puddles of life with a rainbow smile, twirling the only umbrella we need, the umbrella of God’s love.” — Barbara Johnson
Additional Quotes Referencing Twirling
Below there are a variety of quotes about twirls and twirling.
36. “Will, who had been twirling his empty teacup around his fingers, stood up straight and declaimed: Each spake words of high disdain, And insult to his heart’s best brother.” — Cassandra Clare
37. “In 1965, my father was just twirling the dial of the radio to find something that would make me go to sleep, and as soon as I heard rock and roll, there was no stopping me.” — Jello Biafra
38. “The clouds were flying fast, the wind was coming up in gusts, banging some neighboring shutters that had broken loose, twirling the rusty chimney-cowls and weathercocks.” — Charles Dickens
39. “Never have tampon strings seemed so beautiful as they rolled up and down with the wind, landing on the ground and then twirling and floating up again, falling and rising and falling and rising.” — John Green
40. “And I run through a world that is rotating, conscious of the Earth’s spin, of our planet twirling as it careens through nothingness, of the stars spiraling above, of the uncertainty of everything, even ground, even sky.” — Mohsin Hamid
Twirl quotes and sayings to live by
We close our list with these awesome twirl quotes about life.
41. “I love long trains, and then I stand there and twirl around and wrap myself up in it.” — Diana Ross
42. “Take two bodies and you twirl them into one, their hearts and their bones, and they won’t come undone.” — Paul Simon
43. “Then, you get a big ovation while the smoke bombs go off, and the motorized lights in your truss twirl around.” — Frank Zappa
44. “She twirls him in the air, her skirts flying around her ankles the way the clouds swirl around the mountain cap.” — Patricia McCormick
45. “The excitement of the collision between the microphone-twirling guy from 1966 to now is just a fantastic adventure.”— Robert Plant
46. “I had to learn how to handle the guns. I would walk around with the fake guns. It takes a lot of practice to twirl them around.” — Penelope Cruz
47. “I kind of want to know what happened there because we’re twirling knobs here on Earth without knowing the consequences of it.” — Neil deGrasse Tyson
48. “One, you can swirl and twirl and gloom and doom forever. Or two, you can grieve and then face the future with newly sober eyes.” — Neil Pasricha
49. “I think about my mother singing after lunch on a Summer afternoon, twirling in blue dress across the floor of her dressing room.” — Audrey Niffenegger
50. “Anyone who tries to keep track of what is happening in China is going to end up by wearing all the skin of his left ear from twirling around on it.” — Robert Benchley
With twirling getting more and more exposure, it will continue to grow.
Do you love twirling?
What keeps you passionate about twirling?
Be sure to tell us about it in the comments below.
Check out these related lifestyle articles:
There are many ways to nourish your soul, from breathing and spending time with nature to volunteering; here are ten ways to start today.
Introduce yourself to some wise words and concepts that will provide inspiration or advice to help us fulfill our potential and allow us to live the life we were destined to live.
When life gets tough, just turn to these words of encouragement and you’ll feel better in no time.
There are unlimited ways to appreciate someone. Here are some simple ways to make others feel special and make their world better.
Check out these related quote articles:
No matter what style you prefer, these exciting dance quotes will get your body moving!
Relive the television show with these quotes from Dance Moms.
Journey through thought-provoking depths with spiral quotes. Uncover wisdom that twists and evolves, echoing life’s complexities.
A collection of inspiring and uplifting cheerleading quotes that inspire camaraderie, resilience, and excellence.