Louis L Amour’s quotes are inspiring and worth sharing.
This is why we created this list of quotes.
Apart from these quotes, we have also discussed Louis L Amour and his writing career.
If interested, please continue reading!
Who was Louis L Amour
Louis L’Amour was a popular American author known for his short stories and Western novels.
He became famous in the mid-20th century due to his unique and engaging writing style.
During his life, he wrote over 100 novels, most of which were bestsellers.
He also wrote a wide range of articles and books (non-fiction) about the American West.
Birth and Early Life
L’Amour was born on March 22, 1908, in Jamestown, North Dakota, United States.
He spent his early life in poverty.
He had to leave his school in the 10th grade to find work.
At the age of 15, he became a merchant seaman.
This job allowed him to travel around the world and understand different cultures.
Although L’Amour didn’t seek formal education, he was passionate about reading.
He learned to write novels and books by studying a variety of classic authors.
In the 1930s, he started writing fiction stories and continued doing this for the rest of his life.
L’Amour’s Writing Career
“Westward the Tide” was the first novel written by L’Amour.
It was published in 1950, along with various other novels.
However, his writing career took off in the 1960s after the publication of his novel “Hondo.”
This novel was also adapted into a successful movie, which made this novel a lot more popular.
In 1965, his other novel, “The Sackett Brand,” was declared a bestseller.
Popularity as a Writer
L’Amour’s writing skills continued to grow along with his popularity.
The era between the 1970s and 1980s was when his fame was at its highest level.
He got his hand on various awards, such as:
- Golden Spur Award
- Presidential Medal of Freedom
L’Amour’s Writing Style
When it comes to the writing style of L’Amour, it was straightforward to understand.
The focus of his writing was mostly adventure and action.
Generally, he wrote about the hardships and struggles of a normal person living in the American West.
His main characters were ordinary people, including:
L’Amour’s novels were popular for their vivid landscape descriptions and accurate historical details.
You will also enjoy our article on famous author quotes.
Top 5 Louis L’Amour Quotes
Listed here are the top 5 quotes from the pen of the novelist Louis L’Amour.
1. “A journey is time suspended.” — Louis L’Amour
2. “A ship does not sail with yesterday’s wind.” — Louis L’Amour
3. “Nobody got anywhere in the world by simply being content.” — Louis L’Amour
4. “The more one learns, the more he understands his ignorance.” — Louis L’Amour
5. “The only thing that never changes is that everything changes.” — Louis L’Amour
Quotable Louis L’Amour Quotes
Here are some of Louis L’Amour’s most quotable quotes.
6. “A name is what a man makes it,” I.” — Louis L’Amour
7. “A good beginning makes a good end.” — Louis L’Amour
8. “Victory is not won in miles but in inches.” — Louis L’Amour
9. “To a fool, time brings only age, not wisdom.” — Louis L’Amour
10. “To disbelieve is easy; to scoff is simple; to have faith is harder.” — Louis L’Amour
Louis L’Amour Quotes on Humanity
Read Louis’ quotes to learn more about man’s impression in his eyes.
11. “A man’s gotta do what a man’s gotta do.” — Louis L’Amour
12. “When a man is one of a kind, he will be lonely wherever he is.” — Louis L’Amour
13. “I wonder why it is the man who pleads for mercy never gives it.” — Louis L’Amour
14. “No man ever raised a monument to a cynic or wrote a poem about a man without faith.” — Louis L’Amour
15. “A wise man fights to win, but he is twice a fool who has no plan for possible defeat.” — Louis L’Amour
Louis L’Amour Quotes about His Own Persona
Quotes from Louis L’Amour that focus on the author himself are presented in the selection of quotes given below.
16. “All loose things seem to drift down to the sea, and so did I.” — Louis L’Amour
17. “I am somebody. I am me. And I don’t need anybody to make me somebody.” — Louis L’Amour
18. “I think of myself… as a troubadour, a village storyteller, the guy in the shadows of the campfire.” — Louis L’Amour
19. “I start with a character and a situation, but I don’t know what’s going to happen until I write it. Sometimes things happen that surprise me.” — Louis L’Amour
20. “I don’t travel and tell stories because that’s not the way these days. But I write my books to be read aloud, and I think of myself in that oral tradition.” — Louis L’Amour
Literary Louis L’Amour Quotes
Below, you’ll find a selection of quotes in which Louis L’Amour expresses his thoughts on education, reading, writing, and learning.
21. “Whatever the book, a reader reads.” — Louis L’Amour
22. “He who ceases to learn is already a half-dead man.” — Louis L’Amour
23. “No one can get an education, for of necessity education is a continuing process.” — Louis L’Amour
24. “The key to understanding any people is in its art: its writing, painting, sculpture.” — Louis L’Amour
25. “Start writing, no matter what. The water does not flow until the faucet is turned on.” — Louis L’Amour
Which of these Louis L Amour Quotes is your Favorite?
The collection of Louis L Amour quotes presented above is authentic and inspirational.
These quotes have the potential to grab your attention.
Hence, you can share it with your friends and family via social media platforms.
To offer you the best possible reading experience, we have included the most popular Louis L Amour quotes.
So it won’t be difficult for you to find your favorite quote.
If you have found one, share it with us via the comments section.
We would love to hear from you.