The Upanishad quotes listed below are capable of unveiling the path toward truth and reality.
In addition to our quote section, this article also discusses the meaning of the Upanishads and the impact of these sacred texts.
Upanishads are the treasured collection of a range of ancient texts that serve as the philosophical foundation of Hinduism.
They are revered as among the most significant spiritual scriptures composed in history.
These texts are rooted in the rich culture of ancient India.
These are the sacred texts which have helped philosophers, scholars, and seekers to find the divine path.
The term “Upanishad’ comes from the Sanskrit language.
It comprises three different words, including:
- “upa” (near)
- “ni” (down)
- “shad” (to sit)
Together, these words relate to knowledge transmission through traditional mode.
Usually, spiritual seekers sit humbly near the feet of their enlightened sages.
This helped them connect to such sages and receive sacred wisdom.
The Upanishads were completed between 800 BCE and 200 BCE.
Enduring Legacy and Relevance
The Upanishads have left a profound legacy for the civilizations to come.
This involves timeless wisdom, which serves as a trailblazer for seekers across different civilizations:
- Inner Exploration
- Ethical Living
- Spiritual Quest
Upanishads teach us beyond religious boundaries, which is an appealing aspect for a range of seekers.
These sacred texts rely on the principles of Advaita, which encourage understanding and unity among all beings.
Hence, people associated with different civilizations, religions, and backgrounds seek guidance from the Upanishads.
The Upanishads pay attention to the significance of self-inquiry or introspection.
It encourages individuals to look within their inner selves for answers they have been seeking.
This also helps them to explore the depths of the consciousness and beyond.
The teachings of The Upanishads help individuals to understand ethical conduct.
It emphasizes the virtues like truthfulness, compassion, humility, and non-violence.
So, by seeking help from Upanishads, it is easy for individuals to follow an ethical way of living.
The Upanishads serve as a catalyst of igniter, which helps to ignite the flame of spirituality and curiosity.
This inspires individuals to start a journey of self-discovery and find the truth.
Top 5 Upanishad Quotes
Start your exploration of Hinduism’s intellectual foundation with the top 5 Upanishad quotes listed below.
1. “Bondage is the imagination prompted by the desire for the eight powers.” — Niralamba Upanishad
2. “The Upanishads bear witness to this kind of an experience of God.” — Kurien Kunnumpuram
3. “The philosophy of the Upanishads is sublime, its ethics are noble, its theosophy is profound.” — Aldous Huxley
4. “May I see and hear clearly and abundantly”, is the repeated prayer in the several Upanishads.” — Ram Swarup
5. “In the whole world there is no study so beneficial and so elevating as that of the Upanishads. It has been the solace of my life — it will be the solace of my death.” — Arthur Schopenhauer
Upanishad Quotes on Brahman
The following quotes all relate to the Upanishads’ central reality, Brahman, which is the ultimate, unchanging, and everlasting truth and is discussed at length in the Upanishads.
6. “This Self is Brahman.” — Mandukya Upanishad
7. “Consciousness is Brahman.” — Aitareya Upanishad
8. “That thou art.” (“You are Brahman.”)” — Chandogya Upanishad
9. “Brahman is Reality, Knowledge, and Infinity.” — Taittiriya Upanishad
10. “All this that we see in the world is Brahman.” — Chandogya Upanishad
Katha Upanishad Quotes
Here are some profound quotes from the Katha Upanishad, one of the ancient sacred texts of Hindu philosophy. Each quote serves as a guiding light for the seekers.
11. “This syllable Om is indeed brahman. this syllable is the highest. Whosoever knows this syllable obtains all that he desires.” — Katha Upanishad
12. “When all longings that are in the heart vanish, then a mortal becomes immortal and attains brahman (infinite consciousness) here.” — Katha Upanishad
13. “Arise! awake! approach the great and learn. Like the sharp edge of a razor is that path, so the wise say—hard to tread and difficult to cross.” — Katha Upanishad
14. “Knowing that great and all-pervading self by which one sees (the objects) both in the sleep and the waking states, the intelligent man grieves no more.” — Katha Upanishad
15. “The knowing self is not born; it does not die. It has not sprung from anything; nothing has sprung from it. Birthless, eternal, everlasting and ancient, it is not killed when the body is killed.” — Katha Upanishad
Mundaka Upanishad Quotes
Go through these quotes from Hindus’ sacred scripture, the Mundaka Upanishad, if you are in the quest for self-realization and the pursuit of truth.
16. “As flowing rivers disappear in the sea, losing their names and forms, so a wise man, freed from name and form, attains the Purusha, who is greater than the great.” — Mundaka Upanishad
17. “Fools, dwelling in darkness, but wise in their own conceit and puffed up with vain scholarship, wander about, being afflicted by many ills, like blind men led by the blind.” — Mundaka Upanishad
18. “Om is the bow; the atman is the arrow; Brahman is said to be the mark. It is to be struck by an undistracted mind. Then the atman becomes one with brahman, as the arrow with the target.” — Mundaka Upanishad
19. “That immortal Brahman alone is before, that Brahman is behind, that Brahman is to the right and left. brahman alone pervades everything above and below; this universe is that supreme brahman alone.” — Mundaka Upanishad
20. “Children, immersed in ignorance in various ways, flatter themselves, saying: we have accomplished life’s purpose. Because these performers of karma do not know the truth owing to their attachment, they fall from heaven, misery—stricken, when the fruit of their work is exhausted.” — Mundaka Upanishad
Upanishad Quotes from Swami Paramananda
Inspiring quotes from the spiritual insights and teachings of the great spiritual leader Swami Paramananda are collected here.
21. “He who is rich in the knowledge of the Self does not covet external power or possession.” — Paramananda, The Upanishads
22. “He who perceives all beings as the Self for him how can there be delusion or grief, when he sees this oneness.” — Paramananda, The Upanishads
23. “He who has not turned away from evil conduct, whose senses are uncontrolled, who is not tranquil, whose mind is not at rest, he can never attain this Atman even by knowledge.” — Paramananda, The Upanishads
24. “He about whom many are not even able to hear, whom many cannot comprehend even after hearing: wonderful is the teacher, wonderful is he who can receive when taught by an able teacher.” — Paramananda, The Upanishads
25. “Only he who has a co-ordinated understanding of both the visible and the invisible, of matter and spirit, of activity and that which is behind the activity, conquers Nature and thus overcomes death.” — Paramananda, The Upanishads
Which One of these Upanishad quotes is your Favorite?
The Upanishads stand as a powerful and timeless source of spiritual wisdom.
These sacred texts continue to illuminate the path of seekers.
Rooted in the heritage of ancient India, The Upanishads resonate with the human quest for knowing the truth.
If you have a favorite quote from this list, please share it with us via the comments section.
We would love to hear from you.
Check out these related lifestyle articles:
Wisdom, happiness, enlightenment. You need to read these wise sayings ASAP!
Ready to get inspired and uplifted? These words of wisdom are here for you, friend!
When life gets tough, just turn to these words of encouragement and you’ll feel better in no time.
This is a collection of the best motivational books proven to transform a person. (Yes, really!)
Check out these related quote articles:
Here are some deep quotes from authors, sports figures, geniuses, and everyone in between!
These various Quran quotes highlight the beliefs and spiritual wisdom of the Islamic faith.
The sky, an expansive canvas stretching above us, holds a captivating allure that has captivated hearts and minds for millennia.
Feeling alone and in need of some inspiration? Check out our list of lonely quotes that will help you cope with the feeling of loneliness.