These strength quotes will help you face your fears, demons, or anything else that comes your way.
What does strength mean to you? Strength can mean different things depending on who you ask, or the situation at hand. Some people have astonishing physical strength and rippling muscles.
These people can perform feats of strength that us mere mortals can’t even dream of. In my house, I have the big powerful man open the pickle jars.
However, not all strength is physical; sometimes it is a product of being resilient enough to survive traumatic situations. Then there are those people who possess grace, courage, and the strength to forgive.
These strength quotes will help you figure out the meaning of strength, and give you the strength to face your fears, demons, or anything else that comes your way.
Strength quotes that express the importance of mental fortitude
1. “Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow, it empties today of its strength.” ― Corrie Ten Boom
2. “You have power over your mind – not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength.” ― Marcus Aurelius
3. “It is unwise to be too sure of one’s own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err.” ― Mahatma Gandhi
4. “With the new day comes new strength and new thoughts.” ― Eleanor Roosevelt
5. “It’s not always necessary to be strong, but to feel strong.” ― Jon Krakauer
6. “Life doesn’t get easier or more forgiving, we get stronger and more resilient.” ― Steve Maraboli
7. “Anyone can hide. Facing up to things, working through them, that’s what makes you strong.” ― Sarah Dessen
8. “Strength is the capacity to break a Hershey bar into four pieces with your bare hands – and then eat just one of the pieces.” ― Judith Viorst
9. “Be strong. Live honorably and with dignity. When you don’t think you can hold on.” ― James Frey
10. “I was not born to be forced. I will breathe after my own fashion. Let us see who is the strongest.” ― Henry David Thoreau
11. “You can’t really be strong until you can see a funny side to things.” ― Ken Kesey
12. “Never believe for a second that your weak, within all of us we have a reserve of inner hidden strength,” ― Victoria Addino
13. “Nature is as well adapted to our weakness as to our strength.” ― Henry David Thoreau
Strength quotes about courage and bravery
14. “A brave man acknowledges the strength of others.” ― Veronica Roth
15. “Courage isn’t having the strength to go on – it is going on when you don’t have strength.” ― Napoleon Bonaparte
16. “Life is made of so many moments that mean nothing. Then one day, a single moment comes along to define every second that comes after. Such moments are tests of courage, of strength.” ― Sabaa Tahir
17. “Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength while loving someone deeply gives you courage.” ― Lao Tzu
18. “Valor is strength, not of legs and arms, but of heart and soul; it consists not in the worth of our horse or our weapons, but in our own.” ― Michel de Montaigne
19. “The strong can not be brave. Only the weak can be brave; and yet again, in practice, only those who can be brave can be trusted, in time of doubt, to be strong.”― G.K. Chesterton
20. “Immortals are constrained by ancient rules. But a hero can go anywhere, challenge anyone, as long as he has the nerve.-Chiron.” ― Rick Riordan
21. “It don’t matter what happens if you’re only strong and have great courage.” ― Lois Lenski
Strength quotes for the moments you need it the most
22. “That which does not kill us makes us stronger.” ― Friedrich Nietzsche
23. “There is a saying in Tibetan: Tragedy should be utilized as a source of strength. No matter what sort of difficulties, how painful experience is, if we lose our hope, that’s our real disaster.” ― Dalai Lama XIV
24. “One’s dignity may be assaulted, vandalized and cruelly mocked, but it can never be taken away unless it is surrendered.” ― Michael J. Fox
25. “Temper us in fire, and we grow stronger. When we suffer, we survive.” ― Cassandra Clare
26. “The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong at the broken places.” ― Ernest Hemingway
27. “We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided.” ― J.K. Rowling
28. “It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.” ― Frederick Douglass
29. “In the end, some of your greatest pains become your greatest strengths.” ― Drew Barrymore
30. “We acquire the strength we have overcome.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
31. “My dark days made me strong. Or maybe I already was strong, and they made me prove it.” ― Emery Lord
32. “Strength is not something you have, it’s something you find.” ― Emma Smith
33. “The possibility of the dream gives strength.” ― Lailah Gifty Akita
Strength quotes that remind us women are powerful, too
34. “I hate to hear you talk about all women as if they were fine ladies instead of rational creatures. None of us want to be in calm waters all our lives.” ― Jane Austen
35. “Better to be strong than pretty and useless.” ― Lilith Saintcrow
36. “It gives me strength to have somebody to fight for; I can never fight for myself, but for others, I can kill.” ― Emilie Autumn
37. “A strong woman who recklessly throws away her strength, she is worse than a weak woman who has never had any strength to throw away.” ― Thomas Hardy
38. “Women are never so strong as after their defeat.” ― Alexandre Dumas
39. “I know I have but the body of a weak and feeble woman, but I have the heart and stomach of a king, and of a king of England too.” ― Queen Elizabeth I
40. “I am a woman and a warrior. If you think I can’t be both, you’ve been lied to.” ― Jennifer Zeynab Joukhadar
41. “I never could understand why some writers treat women as helpless. Every woman I know is strong in her own unique way.” ― Terry Goodkind
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of inspirational quotes for women on strength and leadership.
Strength quotes about forgiveness and understanding
42. “The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong.” ― Mahatma Gandhi
43. “Some people believe holding on and hanging in there are signs of great strength. However, there are times when it takes much more strength to know when to let go and then do it.” ― Ann Landers
44. “It is time for parents to teach young people early on that in diversity there is beauty and there is strength.” ― Maya Angelou
45. “I used to think you were weak and just didn’t fight back … but now, honestly, I think you’re actually pretty tough. It takes a hell of a lot of strength to not complain and lash out.” ― Richelle Mead
46. “Nothing is so strong as gentleness. Nothing is so gentle as real strength.” ― Ralph W. Sockman
47. “Strength of character means the ability to overcome resentment against others, to hide hurt feelings, and to forgive quickly.” ― Lawrence G. Lovasik
48. “Joy is strength.” ― Mother Teresa
49. “Gentleness is strength under control. It is the ability to stay calm, no matter what happens.” ― Elizabeth George
50. “I learned that it is the weak who are cruel, and that gentleness is to be expected only from the strong.” ― Leo Rosten
Which of these strength quotes resonated with you best?
Hopefully you found the strength you were searching for within these quotes. Each of us is stronger and more capable than we think. Sometimes, we just have to dig deep and search our souls to discover that strength.
Whatever challenge you face, or have faced in the past, I’m glad you found the strength to survive. Persevering through adversity is never easy, but you keep going because you are strong.
Forgiving someone who wronged you can feel impossible and requires unique strength. Doing things that scare you require an immense amount of bravery. Brute strength is also nothing to sneeze at.
Where would we be without the people powerful enough to lift heavy things and pry open jars? Every type of strength is important and you should be proud of yours!
Which of these strength quotes and sayings is your favorite? Let us know in the comment section below.
October 16, 2020 7:00 AM EST