Looking for famous Winston Churchill quotes that have stood the test of time?
Below you’ll find our collection of wise Winston Churchill quotes that will inspire and teach you.
Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill was an important figure of his time.
Through his assistance and leadership, the Allied forces, together with the U.S. and the Soviet Union, gained victory against the Axis powers during WWII.
A beloved statesman and writer, he was also a key individual in crafting post-war peace.
Independent, strategic, and strong, his ideals remain invaluable to this day.
Like many successful and historic figures, his life was not without obstacles.
Who would believe that during his early years, he in fact, performed poorly in school?
It took him three tries before getting into the British Royal Military College.
His mother rarely saw him at that time as well.
His father, seldom present and someone he knew only through reputation, died when Churchill was only 21.
We can glean a bit of wisdom from his life as a well-known statesman and writer.
Whether you’re after success, are fighting for change, or you simply need a bit of motivation, here are some of the best Winston Churchill quotes and sayings for you.
Also check out our compilation of leadership quotes for more insights.
Look through our complete collection of inspirational quotes here.
The Greatest Winston Churchill Quotes on Democracy and Leadership
1. “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” ― Winston S. Churchill
2. “A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.” ― Winston S. Churchill
3. “History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.” ― Winston S. Churchill
4. “We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.” ― Winston S. Churchill
5. “Success is stumbling from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm.” ― Winston S. Churchill
6. “Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.” ― Winston S. Churchill
7. “Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference.” ― Winston S. Churchill
8. “Personally, I’m always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught.” ― Winston S. Churchill
9. “A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject.” ― Winston S. Churchill
10. “The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes.” ― Winston S. Churchill
11. “Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.” ― Winston S. Churchill
12. “The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.” ― Winston S. Churchill
13. “An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.” ― Winston S. Churchill
14. “To each there comes in their lifetime a special moment when they are figuratively tapped on the shoulder and offered the chance to do a very special thing, unique to them and fitted to their talents. What a tragedy if that moment finds them unprepared or unqualified for that which could have been their finest hour.” ― Winston S. Churchill
15. “We are all worms, But I do believe that I am a glow worm.” ― Winston S. Churchill, ‘Never Give In! The Best of Winston Churchill’s Speeches’
16. “We are masters of the unsaid words, but slaves of those we let slip out.” ― Winston S. Churchill
17. “Everyone is in favor of free speech. Hardly a day passes without its being extolled, but some people’s idea of it is that they are free to say what they like, but if anyone else says anything back, that is an outrage.” ― Winston S. Churchill
18. “We sleep safely at night because rough men stand ready to visit violence on those who would harm us.” ― Winston S. Churchill
19. “The farther backward you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” ― Winston S. Churchill
20. “You ask, what is our aim? I can answer in one word. It is victory, victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory, however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival.” ― Winston S. Churchill
Also check out these Alexander the Great quotes from one of the greatest leaders in history.
Winston Churchill Quotes on Never Giving Up
21. “Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.” ― Winston S. Churchill
22. “You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.” ― Winston S. Churchill
23. “A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.” ― Winston S. Churchill
24. “If you are going through hell, keep going.” ― Winston S. Churchill
25. “Never, never, never give in!” ― Winston S. Churchill
Did you enjoy these Winston Churchill quotes?
Hopefully, you have found one or two of his wise words to inspire you.
You don’t need to be statesman to fight for what is right: these battles are fought everyday.
As long as you give your best and do what you believe is true, you are brave.
Which of these Winston Churchill quotes was your favorite?
Do you have any other inspirational quotes to add to the list?
Let us know in the comment section below.