Arrow Quotes Honoring Your Inner Archer
May 23, 2023 6:00 AM EST
Straighten up and fly right with our arrow quotes.
Humans have used arrows for thousands of years.
If you are a fan of archery or the history of weapons, we have some of the most exciting arrow quotes for your enjoyment.
You might also enjoy these related articles:
What is an arrow?
The bow and arrow is a type of two parts weapons system.
With the bow used as a means to propel the projectile or arrow.
The bow and arrow are among the oldest tools used for hunting and protection.
Check out these arrow facts below:
- The bow and arrow are present in almost every culture on Earth.
- The earliest arrows have been found in modern-day South Africa.
- The oldest arrowheads from South Africa are over sixty thousand years old!
Who invented the first bow and arrow?
We have yet to find the group’s name that invented the first bow and arrows.
However, we know that the bow and arrow weapon system has been found in almost every culture on the planet.
We also know that the oldest arrowheads archeologists have unearthed from South Africa are over sixty thousand years old.
Finding arrowheads is difficult because most ancient arrows were made of wood or bone, so they are highly degradable and decay over time.
Many arrowheads from Europe have survived to the present.
Some of these arrows and arrowheads are over ten thousand years old.
How many types of bows and arrows are there?
There are many types of bow and arrow systems, but they all operate on the basic principle of a missile.
There are recurve bows, compound bows, and even a long bow.
Each bow has a different advantage depending on the user’s preference.
Bows from the past were made of bone, wood, stone, and eventually metal.
Modern-day bows are made from aluminum, plastic, or fiberglass.
Check out these Archer Quotes from the hit show.
What do people use arrows for?
Arrows are diverse and used for many activities.
Some people love archery as a sport and use their arrows to focus on targets to perfect their aim.
Others use bows for hunting to track and hunt big game to feed their families.
Still, others love the self-defense aspect of working with the bow and arrow and training to defend themselves.
Arrows have been an integral part of human history.
To learn more, check out our arrow quotes below.
Short arrow quotes about hitting your mark
We all have goals, and arrows symbolize the work it takes to reach our target goals.
1. “Forget the last arrow, only the next one counts.” — Archery Insiders
2. “A good archer is known not by his arrows but by his aim.” — Thomas Fuller
3. “The old man pulled hard, and the arrow flew through the air.” — Elizabeth Cleaver, The Loon’s Necklace
4. “He bends you with His might that His arrows may go swift and far.” — Kahlil Gibran
5. “Archery does not get difficult or hard to understand until the arrow misses. — Milan E. Elott
6. “You are the bows from which your children as living arrows are sent forth.” — Kahlil Gibran
7. “An arrow is never afraid of shooting from the bow, but it is afraid of not reaching the target!” — Mehmet Murat ildan
8. “Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands.” — Nigerian Proverb
9. “Archery is like a journey. It begins with a love for shooting a bow and a passion for watching our arrows fly.” — Ron Laclair
10. “You have to relax when you’re shooting an arrow. You can’t be tense. And that just helps in your day-to-day life.” — Stephen Amell
The best arrow quotes about how the archer is the true weapon
The arrow has little value without a well-trained archer to wield it.
11. “The archer that shoots badly has a lie ready.” — Spanish Proverb
12. “The archer sees the make upon the path of the infinite.” — Kahlil Gibran
13. “In archery, we have something like the way of the superior man.” — Confucius
14. “The archer is the true weapon; the bow is just a long piece of wood.” ― Sebastien de Castell, Traitor’s Blade
15. “Archery does not get difficult or hard to understand until the arrow misses.” — Milan E. Elott
16. “In the case of archery, the hitter and the hit are no longer two opposing objects, but are one reality.” — Eugen Herrigel
17. “So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold in the hearts of man.” — Maurice Thompson
18. “Don’t think of what you have to do, don’t consider how to carry it out! The shot will only go smoothly when it takes the archer himself by surprise.” — Eugen Herrigel
19. “Whether you are a beginning, intermediate, or even advanced archer, Archery will give you something that’s almost impossible to find elsewhere.” — USA Archery
20. “When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns around and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself.” — Confucius
The top arrow quotes from Homer’s The Odyssey
The Odyssey is a piece of classical literature full of arrow references.
21. “I can throw a dart farther than anyone else can shoot an arrow.” — Homer, The Odyssey
22. “When he had got it in his hands, he strung it with ease and sent his arrow through the iron.” — Homer, The Odyssey
23. “He shed the arrows onto the ground at his feet and said, “The mighty contest is at an end.” — Homer, The Odyssey
24. “He was then coming from Ephyra, where he had been to beg poison for his arrows from Ilus, son of Mermerus.” — Homer, The Odyssey
25. “Then Ulysses tore off his rags, and sprang on to the broad pavement with his bow and his quiver full of arrows.” — Homer, The Odyssey
26. “In battle, I am always the first to bring a man down with my arrow, no matter how many more are taking aim at him alongside of me.” — Homer, The Odyssey
27. “On this we fetched our spears and bows and arrows from the ships, and dividing ourselves into three bands began to shoot the goats.” — Homer, The Odyssey
28. “He looked black as night with his bare bow in his hands and his arrow on the string, glaring around as though ever on the point of taking aim.” — Homer, The Odyssey
29. “On this, he aimed a deadly arrow at Antinous, who was about to take up a two-handled gold cup to drink his wine and already had it in his hands.” — Homer, The Odyssey
30. “When he had taken aim, he let fly, and his arrow pierced every one of the handle-holes of the axes from the first onwards till it had gone right through them, and into the outer courtyard.” — Homer, The Odyssey
Quotes from Arrow, The Television Series about aiming for your mark
Arrow was a popular series that told the story of Oliver Queen, also known as Green Arrow.
31. “Loving you has changed my life, Thea.” Roy, Arrow, The Television Series
32. “This is our most important mission. Suit up!” — Diggle, Arrow, The Television Series
33. “Now my friends and family will have to go on without me.” — Oliver Queen, Arrow, The Television Series
34. “He stands as a reminder to all of us that anyone can change.” — Quentin, Arrow The Television Series
35. “I made the ultimate sacrifice, which helped birth an entirely new universe.” — Oliver Queen, Arrow, The Television Series
36. “Oliver Queen wasn’t just a hero. He was a good man. He was an honorable person.” — Quentin, Arrow, The Television Series
37. “The fact that he didn’t start out that way makes him, in my book, even more honorable.” — Quentin, Arrow, The Television Series
38. “As long as you promise if you ever freak out on me like that again, you tell me instead of just leaving.” — Thea, Arrow, The Television Series
39. “And although I have become a Spectre, there is a part of me that will always be the Green Arrow.” — Oliver Queen, Arrow, The Television Series
40. “If Ollie’s death has taught me anything, it’s that we don’t have a lot of time in this life.” — Thea, Arrow, The Television Series
Famous bow and arrow quotes about aiming high in life
The selection below comes from a diverse group of authors.
41. “The boy stood on a rock and pointed the arrow at the bear’s heart.” — Elizabeth Cleaver, The Loon’s Necklace
42. “The Roman goddess Diana, you know, is usually shown with a bow and arrow.” — Cyd Charisse
43. “What a man is is an arrow into the future, and what a woman is the place the arrow shoots off from.” — Sylvia Plath
44. “I do love archery in my day-to-day life because I find it very therapeutic, and I’ve trained every season with the bow and arrow.” — Rose Leslie
45. “My wife could give a rip about comic books, but she loves ‘Arrow,’ and she loves ‘The Flash,’ and she likes them because of the characters.” — Andrew Kreisberg
More arrow quotes to help hit your target
46. “We want the reading experience of digital comics to be as simple as tapping a tablet or an arrow key or mouse button to move forward or back.” — Mark Waid
47. “Since the first archer fired the first arrow, warriors have been inventing ways to strike their enemies while removing themselves from harm’s way.” — Tom Malinowski
48. “To meet our emissions goals, we’re going to have to grasp every arrow in the quiver, and nuclear is one of those arrows.” — Burton Richter
49. “I have been called many things in my life, but if there has been, but one constant, one barb, one arrow flung my way time after time, it is the accusation that I am, in essence, nothing more than an escapist.” — J. Maarten Troost
50. “Certainly, I feel like I’m the tip of the arrow at times because certainly, the national media wants to talk about the fact that I’m a black Republican, and some people think of that as zany that a black person would be a conservative but to me what is zany is any person black, white, red, brown or yellow not being a conservative.” — Tim Scott
Were arrows used more for hunting or warfare?
When you think of the bow and arrow, your mind might conjure images of elite squads of archers reigning down arrows on opposing armies.
Perhaps scenes from Braveheart come to mind.
However, for many cultures, the arrow’s significance was primarily related to its ability as a hunting weapon.
The indigenous groups of the Americas, Asia, Africa, and Australia used arrows primarily for hunting and adapted others for war.
In ancient Japan, some cultures created wooden bows over eight feet tall and made of whale bones.
Many of the bows in Africa were smaller and designed for short-range attacks.
This makes sense, considering that most shots a hunter would take in the savannah or thick jungle would be short-distance shots.
The natives of the Americas built larger bows and arrows to make kills from further away while following nomadic animals like buffalo.
What is your favorite thing about arrows?
Do you have a favorite arrow quote?
Please be sure to let us know in the comments below.