Looking for the best Bob Ross quotes that will make your day better?
Robert Norman Ross was an American painter, art teacher, and television personality. He is best known for his instructional television program, The Joy of Painting, which reached millions of art lovers.
Born in Florida on October 29, 1942, Ross enlisted in the United States Air Force at the age of 18 and eventually became a master sergeant. It was during this tenure that he discovered his love for painting.
As an art instructor, Ross taught techniques for landscape oil painting to millions of people. And although he taught painting, all his art lessons also turned out to be life lessons. Known for his off-the-cuff insights and adages, he inspired people to own their mistakes, to be more patient and to appreciate the little joys of life.
Ross died at the age of 52 on July 4, 1995. But even after his death, he is still an internet celebrity, popular with fans on YouTube and many other websites.
Ross managed to tap into his Everyday Power to become the King of Painting and a beloved art teacher. To honor him, here are some great Bob Ross quotes that will make your day better.
Bob Ross quotes on art and life
1. “All you need to paint is a few tools, a little instruction, and a vision in your mind.” ― Bob Ross
2. “It’s so important to do something every day that will make you happy.” ― Bob Ross
3. “Mix up a little more shadow color here, then we can put us a little shadow right in there. See how you can move things around? You have unlimited power on this canvas — can literally, literally move mountains” ― Bob Ross
4. “I think there’s an artist hidden at the bottom of every single one of us.” ― Bob Ross
5. “If I paint something, I don’t want to have to explain what it is.” ― Bob Ross
6. “It’s hard to see things when you are too close. Take a step back and look.” ― Bob Ross
7. “We artists are a different breed of people. We’re a happy bunch.” ― Bob Ross
8. “Gotta give him a friend. Like I always say, ‘Everyone needs a friend.’” ― Bob Ross
9. “I think each of us, sometime in our life, has wanted to paint a picture.” ― Bob Ross
10. “If you do too much, it’s going to lose its effectiveness.” ― Bob Ross
Bob Ross quotes to motivate you to live a better life
11. “Look around. Look at what we have. Beauty is everywhere—you only have to look to see it.” ― Bob Ross
12. “You need the dark in order to show the light.” ― Bob Ross
13. “This is your world. You’re the creator. Find freedom on this canvas. Believe, that you can do it, ‘cuz you can do it.” ― Bob Ross
14. “There’s nothing in the world that breeds success like success.” ― Bob Ross
15. “I really believe that if you practice enough you could paint the ‘Mona Lisa’ with a two-inch brush.” ― Bob Ross
16. “How do you make a round circle with a square knife? That’s your challenge for the day.” ― Bob Ross
17. “Water’s like me. It’s laaazy … Boy, it always looks for the easiest way to do things” ― Bob Ross
18. “Don’t forget to make all these little things individuals — all of them special in their own way.” ― Bob Ross
19. “You have to allow the paint to break to make it beautiful.” ― Bob Ross
20. “You can do anything here — the only prerequisite is that it makes you happy.” ― Bob Ross
Also read these inspirational Karl Lagerfeld quotes about art and fashion.
Bob Ross quotes to inspire you to live your best life
21. “We don’t make mistakes, just happy little accidents.” ― Bob Ross
22. “Talent is a pursued interest. Anything that you’re willing to practice, you can do.” ― Bob Ross
23. “I guess I’m a little weird. I like to talk to trees and animals. That’s okay though; I have more fun than most people.” ― Bob Ross
24. “Ever make mistakes in life? Let’s make them birds. Yeah, they’re birds now.” ― Bob Ross
25. “You can do anything you want. This is your world.” ― Bob Ross
26. “They say everything looks better with odd numbers of things. But sometimes I put even numbers — just to upset the critics.” ― Bob Ross
27. “Anytime you learn, you gain.” ― Bob Ross
28. “I can’t think of anything more rewarding than being able to express yourself to others through painting. Exercising the imagination, experimenting with talents, being creative; these things, to me, are truly the windows to your soul.”― Bob Ross
29. “Let’s just blend this little rascal here, ha! Happy as we can be.” ― Bob Ross
30. “Here’s your bravery test!” ― Bob Ross
Bob Ross quotes that will make your day better
31. “The secret to doing anything is believing that you can do it. Anything that you believe you can do strong enough, you can do. Anything. As long as you believe.” ― Bob Ross
32. “Let’s build a happy little cloud. Let’s build some happy little trees.” ― Bob Ross
33. “Just let go — and fall like a little waterfall.” ― Bob Ross
34. “If we’re going to have animals around we all have to be concerned about them and take care of them.” ― Bob Ross
35. “We want happy paintings. Happy paintings. If you want sad things, watch the news.” ― Bob Ross
36. “We don’t laugh because we feel good, we feel good because we laugh.” ― Bob Ross
37. “Go out on limb. That’s where the fruit is.” ― Bob Ross
38. “No pressure. Just relax and watch it happen.” ― Bob Ross
39. “Remember how free clouds are. They just lay around in the sky all day long.” ― Bob Ross
40. “We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.” ― Bob Ross
Bob Ross quotes that will change your perspective
41. “There’s nothing wrong with having a tree as a friend.” ― Bob Ross
42. “That’s a crooked tree. We’ll send him to Washington.” ― Bob Ross
43. “Trees cover up a multitude of sins.” ― Bob Ross
44. “See how it fades right into nothing. That’s just what you’re looking for.” ― Bob Ross
45. “The only thing worse than yellow snow is green snow.” ― Bob Ross (see more quotes about snow)
46. “Use absolutely no pressure. Just like an angel’s wing.” ― Bob Ross
47. “This is happy place; little squirrels live here and play.” ― Bob Ross
48. “Be sure to use odorless paint-thinner. If it’s not odorless, you’ll find yourself working alone very, very quick.” ― Bob Ross
49. “Any way you want it to be, that’s just right.” ― Bob Ross
50. “Maybe in our world there lives a happy little tree over there.” ― Bob Ross
Other memorable Bob Ross quotes
51. “You do your best work if you do a job that makes you happy.” –
52. “Everybody has dreams. You are living the American dream, what’s wrong with pushing to secure it for everyone?” – Bob Ross
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of American dream quotes that will inspire you to achieve your own version of success.
53. “Think about a cloud. Just float around and be there.” – Bob Ross
54. “The secret to doing anything is believing you can do it.” – Bob Ross
55. “You can do anything your heart can imagine.” – Bob Ross
56. “We don’t make mistakes. We have happy accidents.” – Bob Ross
57. “Never think about the mistakes you made. Think about the mistakes you will make.” – Bob Ross
58. “I believe, I believe every day is a good day when you paint.” – Bob Ross
59. “Possessing talent is nothing more than the continuous pursuit of a life-long interest.” – Bob Ross
60. “I never turn down requests for interviews. I’m just rarely asked.” – Bob Ross
Which of these Bob Ross quotes was your favorite?
Bob Ross was more than an art teacher. His painting lessons contained valuable wisdom about life that anyone can benefit from; whether or not you’re into painting.
With his soft, soothing voice and satisfyingly gentle brush strokes, Ross inspired many people to embrace their mistakes, go with the flow and appreciate simplicity. Hopefully, these quotes have helped make your day better and motivated you to live your best life.
Did you enjoy these Bob Ross quotes? Which of the quotes was your favorite? Tell us in the comment section below. We would love to hear all about it.
December 15, 2020 6:00 AM EST