Thesebrilliant quotes about painting and art will spark your creativity.
Painters and artists can express themselves through beautiful visuals and bold strokes of color and texture. Read these painting quotes about art to help you think outside the box and motivate yourself towards making masterpieces.
These inspiring words will open your mind to fresh perspectives and guide you on your path to artistic success. Whether you’re using watercolors, oil paints, or an entirely different medium, this advice can improve your artwork. Think about these painting quotes the next time you’re looking for artistic inspiration and motivation.
Since art is all about self-expression, there’s no right or wrong to paint. Nonetheless, the advice and wisdom of successful artists can be invaluable. These quotes about painting and creativity come from the minds of great creators and innovators. Their words will help you intimately understand the art industry and the nature of expression.
Check out these inspiring painting quotes below and connect with your inner creativity. For more inspiration, be sure to also read our collection of quotes on the power of art, along with these inspirational blue quotes.
Creative Painting Quotes to Inspire Your Artwork
1. “Painting is self-discovery. Every good artist paints what he is.” – Jackson Pollock
2. “All you need to paint is a few tools, a little instruction, and a vision in your mind.” – Bob Ross
3. “If you hear a voice within you say you cannot paint, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.” – Vincent Van Gogh
4. “Painting is just another way of keeping a diary” – Pablo Picasso
5. “Painting is concerned with all the 10 attributes of sight; which are: Darkness, Light, Solidity and Colour, Form and Position, Distance and Propinquity, Motion and Rest.” – Leonardo da Vinci
6. “I don’t paint dreams or nightmares, I paint my own reality.” – Frida Kahlo
7. “Painting is an illusion, a piece of magic, so what you see is not what you see.” – Philip Guston
8. “A painting requires a little mystery, some vagueness, and some fantasy. When you always make your meaning perfectly plain you end up boring people.” – Edgar Degas
9. “Painting is a source of endless pleasure, but also of great anguish.” – Balthus
10. “I love to look at art, I love to look at paintings, and I almost feel like the experience isn’t complete until I’ve made something of my own.” – Cecily Brown
Painting quotes about art and creativity
11. “A painting to me is primarily a verb, not a noun, an event first and only secondarily an image.” – Elaine de Kooning
12. “The painter will produce pictures of little merit if he takes the works of others as his standard.” – Leonardo da Vinci
13. “When you want to make the main color pure and bright, don’t just keep adding bright colors on it. Just make the colors around the spot darker and dull. It will give the scene dramatical effects. I think the life is the same.” – Hiroko Sakai
14. “If you could say it in words, there would be no reason to paint.” – Edward Hopper
15. “Every canvas is a journey all its own.” – Helen Frankenthaler
16. “Some painters transform the sun into a yellow spot, others transform a yellow spot into the sun.” – Pablo Picasso
17. “They always say time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself.” – Andy Warhol (see more quotes from Andy Warhol)
18. “To create one’s own world takes courage.” – Georgia O’Keeffe
19. “Painting is poetry that is seen rather than felt, and poetry is painting that is felt rather than seen.” – Leonardo da Vinci
20. “If you ask me what I came to do in this world, I, an artist, will answer you: I am here to live out loud.” – Émile Zola
Also read these inspirational quotes about design that will fuel up your imagination.
Painting quotes that will make you connect with your inner creativity
21. “The object of art is not to reproduce reality, but to create a reality of the same intensity.” – Alberto Giacometti
22. “Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time.” – Thomas Merton
23. “We don’t make mistakes, just happy little accidents.” – Bob Ross
24. “I am seeking. I am striving. I am in it with all my heart.” – Vincent van Gogh
25. “Those who do not want to imitate anything, produce nothing.” – Salvador Dali
26. “In art, the hand can never execute anything higher than the heart can imagine.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
27. “Art must be an expression of love or it is nothing.” – Marc Chagall
28. “There is nothing more truly artistic than to love people.” – Vincent Van Gogh
29. “Every portrait that is painted with feeling is a portrait of the artist, not of the sitter.” – Oscar Wilde
30. “I found I could say things with color and shapes that I couldn’t say any other way–things I had no words for.” – Georgia O’Keeffe
Painting quotes to make you think outside the box
31. “Don’t think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it’s good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art.” – Andy Warhol
32. “I paint for myself. I don’t know how to do anything else, anyway. Also I have to earn my living, and occupy myself.” – Francis Bacon
33. “The longer you look at an object, the more abstract it becomes, and, ironically, the more real.” – Lucian Freud
34. “Nature is not only all that is visible to the eye.. it also includes the inner pictures of the soul.” – Edvard Munch
35. “The holy grail is to spend less time making the picture than it takes people to look at it.” – Banksy
36. “An artist cannot fail; it is a success to be one.” – Charles Horton Cooley
37. “Art is the only way to run away without leaving home.” – Twyla Tharp
38. “For me, painting is a way to forget life. It is a cry in the night, a strangled laugh.” – Georges Rouault
39. “Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.” – Scott Adams
40. “It is not the language of painters but the language of nature which one should listen to, the feeling for the things themselves, for reality, is more important than the feeling for pictures.” – Vincent Van Gogh
Also check out these drawing quotes to speak to the artist in you.
Painting quotes to spark your imagination
41. “Painting is the grandchild of nature. It is related to God.” – Rembrandt
42. “To practice any art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow. So do it.” – Kurt Vonnegut
43. “It is a widely accepted notion among painters that it does not matter what one paints as long as it is well painted. This is the essence of academicism. There is no such thing as good painting about nothing.” – Mark Rothko
44. “The greater the artist, the greater the doubt. Perfect confidence is granted to the less talented as a consolation prize.” – Robert Hughes
45. “A painting is never finished – it simply stops in interesting places.” – Paul Gardner
46. “A man paints with his brains and not with his hands.” – Michelangelo
47. “The object isn’t to make art, it’s to be in that wonderful state which makes art inevitable.” – Robert Henri
48. “Every artist dips his brush in his own soul, and paints his own nature into his pictures.” – Henry Ward Beecher
49. “Go and make interesting mistakes, make amazing mistakes, make glorious and fantastic mistakes. Break rules. Leave the world more interesting for your being here. Make. Good. Art.” – Neil Gaiman
50. “Art will remain the most astonishing activity of mankind born out of struggle between wisdom and madness, between dream and reality in our mind.” – Magdalena Abakanowicz
Other inspirational painting quotes
51. “Painting is the silence of thought and the music of sight.” – Orhan Pamuk
52. “Create with the heart; build with the mind.” – Criss Jami
53. “Every now and then one paints a picture that seems to have opened a door and serves as a stepping stone to other things.” – Pablo Picasso
54. “Painting something that defies the law of the land is good. Painting something that defies the law of the land and the law of gravity at the same time is ideal.” – Banksy
55. “Without atmosphere a painting is nothing.” – Rembrandt Harmenszoon Van Rijn
56. “Sometimes painting is just prayerful movement. And that is enough.” – Carrie Schmitt
57. “Painting has as much to do with evolving consciousness as training the eye.” – Glenn Haybittle
58. “Creativity is painting the canvas with colors, doing what you do with what you have, knowing the limits and moving beyond.” – Anand Patwa
59. “They paint what they see and we paint what we are watching.” – David Berkowitz Chicago
60. “Life, like a good painting, needs balance, a harmonious arrangement to avoid being chaotic, a mess, a failure.” – Iain Pear
Whichof these inspiring painting quotes kickstarts your creativity the most?
Theseproverbs and sayings about painting will help you create masterful works ofart. If you want to freshen up your perspective and boost your natural talent,listen to the advice of these brilliant artists. The painting quotes above reflectyears of experience in the industry and a passion for visual beauty. Rememberthese words the next time you raise your paintbrush up to meet canvas.
The best painting quotes will inspire you to begin a journey of self-expression and creativity. These words will transform the way you look at art and encourage your artistic processes. Whether you paint for profit or to share a visual story, these quotes will give you some insight into the mind of an artist. The next time you’re in a creativity slump, try reading these painting quotes to get the juices flowing.
What are your favorite painting quotes about art and creativity? Let us know in the comment section below.
March 10, 2021 6:00 AM EST