Brené Brown Quotes On Embracing Vulnerability
You’ll learn to embrace your vulnerability after reading these Brené Brown quotes.
March 15, 2023 5:00 AM EST
When you feel vulnerable, how do you react?
Most of us chose to hide our feelings, but these empowering Brené Brown quotes will change how you feel about vulnerability.
Brené Brown’s groundbreaking research on the impact of shame on our lives led her to give one of the most popular TED talks of all time.
You may also enjoy our article on:
According to a study by Dr. Kristin Neff, self-compassion plays a critical role in emotional well-being.
This research supports the importance of embracing vulnerability, as it shows that individuals who practice self-compassion tend to have lower levels of anxiety, depression, and stress.
Brene believes that we deepen our own humanity and connectedness to one another when we are aware of the impact of shame, and learn to empathize with others.
We have searched the web to give you some of our favorite Brené Brown quotes.
If you like this article, we suggest you explore our most popular quotes article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily encouragement.
Look through our complete collection of inspirational quotes here.
Brené Brown Quotes to inspire you
In a 2012 TEDxHouston talk by Brené Brown herself, she emphasized the power of vulnerability in fostering connection and creativity.
Brown’s research demonstrated that embracing vulnerability is the key to unlocking innovation, empathy, and authenticity in our lives.
1. “What we know matters but who we are matters more.” – Brené Brown
Everyday Application: Sure, everyone can learn something new. However, in order to grow and develop you have to put it into practice. This might mean things like changing your behavior and your habits. Who are you and what kind of person do you want to be? This matters more than the knowledge we acquire.
You will also enjoy our article on haters quotes.
2. “Staying vulnerable is a risk we have to take if we want to experience connection.” – Brené Brown
Everyday Application: Our walls keep us safe by keeping people out. However, in order to connect with someone you have to really let them in. You might still get hurt, but connection is a vital part of humanity. Be a little vulnerable and see what you gain from the experience.
You will also enjoy our article on Medusa quotes.
3. “Courage starts with showing up and letting ourselves be seen.”- Brené Brown
Everyday Application: Courage is not the absence of fear. It is just the ability to do something even when it scares you. Showing up and being vulnerable and real can be scary. However, being seen can transform your life. Let people see and know the real you.
You will also enjoy our article on be yourself quotes.
4. “Imperfections are not inadequacies; they are reminders that we’re all in this together.”- Brené Brown
Everyday Application: There are no perfect people. There is no one on this planet that does not have some kind of imperfection. Perfection is unattainable, however, increasing our connection with others and forming comradery is an achievable goal!
You will also enjoy our article on authenticity quotes.
5. “Don’t try to win over the haters; you are not a jackass whisperer.”- Brené Brown
Everyday Application: I just love this one. Bottom line here though is that haters have their own reason for things, and it has nothing to do with you. I had a lady rip apart an article about my trauma, because my stance made her uncomfortable due to her own trauma. You can read it here. It was a response based on her own life, as is everything that comes from other people. Don’t take it personally.
You will also enjoy our article on domestic violence quotes.
6. “Shame corrodes the very part of us that believes we are capable of change.”- Brené Brown
Everyday Application: People who live with shame often experience other negative emotions and feelings like worthlessness, depression, and anxiety. It is very difficult to believe that you can change something with all these other feelings rattling around inside your brain. Let go of shame by speaking kindly to yourself, show yourself compassion, and seek help if you need it!
You will also enjoy our article on imperfection quotes.
7. “You are imperfect, you are wired for struggle, but you are worthy of love and belonging.” – Brené Brown
Everyday Application: All of us humans are imperfect creatures that struggle. We fail, but we try again and we learn. We evolve and develop. It is an amazing thing to witness. However, you do not have to do or achieve anything special in order to be loved. You inherently deserve love, especially from yourself!
You will also enjoy our article on compassionate empathy quotes.
8. “Connection is why we’re here; it is what gives purpose and meaning to our lives.”- Brené Brown
You will also enjoy our article on Macbeth quotes.
9. “We don’t have to do all of it alone. We were never meant to.”- Brené Brown
You will also enjoy our article on courage quotes.
10. “You cannot shame or belittle people into changing their behaviors.” – Brené Brown
You will also enjoy our article on boss lady quotes.
Brené Brown Quotes to make you more confident
A study published in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, led by Dr. Arthur Aron, found that self-disclosure, a core component of vulnerability, significantly contributes to building deep, meaningful relationships.
This research complements Brené Brown’s quotes on vulnerability, as it highlights the importance of openness and honesty in fostering connections with others.
11. “We cannot selectively numb emotions, when we numb the painful emotions, we also numb the positive emotions.” – Brené Brown
Everyday Application: The full spectrum of human emotions is within all of us. Some emotions are painful or ‘negative.’ However, those emotions have a purpose and teach us something about ourselves. They can also help us learn to cherish and better appreciate the things in our lives that make us feel positive emotions.
You will also enjoy our article on inspirational failure quotes.
12. “I now see how owning our story and loving ourselves through that process is the bravest thing that we will ever do.” – Brené Brown
Everyday Application: There might be parts of your story that cause you fear or pain. Facing those, and acknowledging how they helped shape you is essential to becoming the person you were meant to be. Walking through the field of emotional landmines and learning to forgive yourself is hard, but be brave and do it.
You will also enjoy our article on pinterest quotes.
13. “Because true belonging only happens when we present our authentic, imperfect selves to the world, our sense of belonging can never be greater than our level of self-acceptance.” – Brené Brown
Everyday Application: How can we belong anywhere or with anyone else if we do not accept ourselves for who we are? Your authentic self is unique and valuable. Do not hide it away. Share who you are with the world and the people meant to be part of your circle will find you.
You will also enjoy our article on intention quotes.
14. “Vulnerability sounds like truth and feels like courage. Truth and courage aren’t always comfortable, but they’re never weakness.” – Brené Brown
Everyday Application: Some of the best things in our lives are uncomfortable. Growth and love both require you to be vulnerable. You will never be weak for trying to grow or loving someone.
You will also enjoy our article on love yourself quotes.
15. “The dark does not destroy the light; it defines it. It’s our fear of the dark that casts our joy into the shadows.” – Brené Brown
Everyday Application: Darkness and light go together. No one gets through life without experiencing some of both. Maybe, you have had more darkness than light, but have faith that your joy will come. Try focusing on the positive things that you have in your life, instead of devoting all your energy to the negative things.
You will also enjoy our article on bad bitch quotes.
16. “If we can share our story with someone who responds with empathy and understanding, shame can’t survive.” – Brené Brown
You will also enjoy our article on psychology quotes.
17. “Faith is a place of mystery, where we find the courage to believe in what we cannot see and the strength to let go of our fear of uncertainty.” – Brené Brown
18. “Vulnerability is the birthplace of love, belonging, joy, courage, empathy, and creativity. It is the source of hope, empathy, accountability, and authenticity. If we want greater clarity in our purpose or deeper and more meaningful spiritual lives, vulnerability is the path.” – Brené Brown
19. “When I look at narcissism through the vulnerability lens, I see the shame-based fear of being ordinary. I see the fear of never feeling extraordinary enough to be noticed, to be lovable, to belong, or to cultivate a sense of purpose.” – Brené Brown
20. “Authenticity is a collection of choices that we have to make every day. It’s about the choice to show up and be real. The choice to be honest. The choice to let our true selves be seen.” – Brené Brown
Brené Brown Quotes to make you strong
21. “To love someone fiercely, to believe in something with your whole heart, to celebrate a fleeting moment in time, to fully engage in a life that doesn’t come with guarantees – these are risks that involve vulnerability and often pain. But, I’m learning that recognizing and leaning into the discomfort of vulnerability teaches us how to live with joy, gratitude and grace.” – Brené Brown
22. “Understanding the difference between healthy striving and perfectionism is critical to laying down the shield and picking up your life. Research shows that perfectionism hampers success. In fact, it’s often the path to depression, anxiety, addiction, and life paralysis.” – Brené Brown
23. “Nostalgia is also a dangerous form of comparison. Think about how often we compare our lives to a memory that nostalgia has so completely edited that it never really existed.” – Brené Brown
24. “Owning our story can be hard but not nearly as difficult as spending our lives running from it. Embracing our vulnerabilities is risky but not nearly as dangerous as giving up on love and belonging and joy—the experiences that make us the most vulnerable. Only when we are brave enough to explore the darkness will we discover the infinite power of our light.” – Brené Brown
25. “I define connection as the energy that exists between people when they feel seen, heard, and valued; when they can give and receive without judgment; and when they derive sustenance and strength from the relationship.” – Brené Brown
ANALYNN S PEDRACIO
June 18, 2019 at 10:49 PM
Thanks Brene Brown for sharing your valuable quotes 🙂 Simple and enough to recollect. God bless.