These imperfection quotes will remind you that our flaws are what define us as humans and connect us to one another.
In today’s age where social media and technology are so intertwined with our lives that nearly every facet seems to be on display, it’s natural to become overly conscious of one’s every imperfection.
It is human nature to watch others and compare ourselves to them, so when all of our friends seem to broadcast lives of complete perfection, it’s easy to feel that we fall short.
Can’t there be value and beauty in imperfection?
In fact, many would argue that it takes special strength to be intentionally vulnerable, without feeling shame. Instead of imperfection equating to weakness, many would say that these flaws actually are perfection in themselves. Others may say they are an opportunity for growth. The quotes and sayings below reflect on the true meaning of imperfection.
Also read these inspirational Girl Wash Your Face quotes to boost your self-confidence and self-esteem.
Imperfection Quotes About Striving for Perfection
1. “Have no fear of perfection – you’ll never reach it.” – Salvador Dali
2. “The true genius shudders at incompleteness — imperfection — and usually prefers silence to saying the something which is not everything that should be said.” – Edgar Allan Poe
3. “Practice doesn’t make perfect. Practice reduces the imperfection.” – Toba Beta
4. “To realize that you do not understand is a virtue; Not to realize that you do not understand is a defect.” – Lao Tzu
5. “Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn.” – Benjamin Franklin
6. “There is a fine balance between honoring the past and losing yourself in it. For example, you can acknowledge and learn from mistakes you made, and then move on and refocus on the now. It is called forgiving yourself.” – Eckhart Tolle
7. “A man must be big enough to admit his mistakes, smart enough to profit from them, and strong enough to correct them.” – John C. Maxwell
8. “Success does not consist in never making mistakes but in never making the same one a second time.” – George Bernard Shaw
9. “Successful design is not the achievement of perfection but the minimization and accommodation of imperfection.” – Henry Petroski
10. “Even the knowledge of my own fallibility cannot keep me from making mistakes. Only when I fall do I get up again.” – Vincent Van Gogh
11. “There are no mistakes or failures, only lessons.” – Denis Waitley
12. “Mistakes are acceptable if they’re the result of moving forward.” – Andrew Yang
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of mistake quotes about learning from error.
Imperfection quotes about its value
13. “To banish imperfection is to destroy expression, to check exertion, to paralyze vitality.” – John Ruskin
14. “Imperfections are not inadequacies; they are reminders that we’re all in this together.” – Brené Brown
15. “Perfection has one grave defect: it is apt to be dull.” – W. Somerset Maugham
16. “No one is perfect… absolutely no one. Like precious stones, we have a few flaws, but why focus on that? Focus on what you like about yourself, and that will bring you happiness and peace.” – Richard Simmons
17. “Be happy with being you. Love your flaws. Own your quirks. And know that you are just as perfect as anyone else, exactly as you are.” – Ariana Grande
18. “I allow myself to fail. I allow myself to break. I’m not afraid of my flaws.” – Lady Gaga
19. “The flaws, the mistakes I make – that’s the real me.” – Nas
20. “Mistakes are always forgivable, if one has the courage to admit them.” – Bruce Lee
21. “Sometimes when you innovate, you make mistakes. It is best to admit them quickly, and get on with improving your other innovations.” – Steve Jobs
22. “There are only two mistakes one can make along the road to truth; not going all the way, and not starting.” – Buddha
23. “Mistakes are, after all, the foundations of truth, and if a man does not know what a thing is, it is at least an increase in knowledge if he knows what it is not.” – Carl Jung
24. “Perfectionism rarely begets perfection, or satisfaction – only disappointment.” – Ryan Holiday
Also check out these beautiful July quotes about the hottest month of the year
Imperfection quotes about vulnerability and mistakes
25. “Vulnerability is not weakness. And that myth is profoundly dangerous.” – Brené Brown
26. “The hardest thing about being a leader is demonstrating or showing vulnerability… When the leader demonstrates vulnerability and sensibility and brings people together, the team wins.” – Howard Schultz
27. “We’re often afraid of looking at our shadow because we want to avoid the shame or embarrassment that comes along with admitting mistakes.” – Marianne Williamson
28. “I’m very observant and very instinctive. In life, you have to have the vulnerability to accept when you are to blame. And I do have that, and I am open enough to say it.” – Naomi Campbell
29. “The great comics can fall on their faces, but then they can say, ‘Oh, baby, you’re the greatest.’ They show their heart and their vulnerability.” – Chris Farley
30. “When we were children, we used to think that when we were grown-up we would no longer be vulnerable. But to grow up is to accept vulnerability… To be alive is to be vulnerable.” – Madeleine L’Engle
31. “When you’re willing to be vulnerable, you can surprise yourself at how strong you can be.” – Jonathan Van Ness
32. “My attitude is that if you push me towards something that you think is a weakness, then I will turn that perceived weakness into a strength.” – Michael Jordan
33. “We are all full of weakness and errors; let us mutually pardon each other our follies – it is the first law of nature.” – Voltaire
34. “I think that when you are famous every weakness is exaggerated.” – Marilyn Monroe
35. “You can’t let praise or criticism get to you. It’s a weakness to get caught up in either one.” – John Wooden
Imperfection quotes about the beauty of your flaws
36. “We are all wonderful, beautiful wrecks. That’s what connects us–that we’re all broken, all beautifully imperfect.” – Emilio Estevez
37. “Life is not always perfect. Like a road, it has many bends, ups and down, but that’s its beauty.” – Amit Ray
38. “I think every single imperfection adds to your beauty. I’d rather be imperfect than perfect.” – Sonam Kapoor
39. “There is beauty and humility in imperfection.” – Guillermo del Toro
40. “Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it’s better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.” – Marilyn Monroe
41. “At some point, I’m just of the mind that no art is perfect, and it shouldn’t be perfect. I think it’s beautiful in its imperfection. You could tweak something forever, but you have to let it go and trust it.” – Colman Domingo
42. “If someone is too perfect they won’t look good. Imperfection is important.” – Eric Cantona
43. “Klutziness is endearing. I like imperfection.” – Elizabeth Banks
44. “There is no real beauty without some slight imperfection.” – James Salter
Quotes About Imperfection and Human Nature
45. “One of the basic rules of the universe is that nothing is perfect. Perfection simply doesn’t exist…..Without imperfection, neither you nor I would exist.” – Stephen Hawking
46. “No human being should be a role model. We all have flaws.” – Jim Brown
47. “Drama is about imperfection. And we’ve moved away from the aspirational hero. We got tired of it, it was dull.” – Hugh Laurie
48. “But life isn’t something that should be edited. Life shouldn’t be cut. The only way you’ll ever discover what it truly means to be alive and human is by sharing the full experience of what it means to be human and each blemish and freckle that comes with it.” – Iain Thomas
49. “The more I feel imperfect, the more I feel alive.” – Jhumpa Lahiri
50. “I can deal with imperfection, but I can’t deal with people who lie to themselves and lie to the world to make the world feel better.” – Bibi Bourelly
51. “If you ask people what attracted them to the person they love, they never tell you of some perfect feature that focused them on sheer surfaces but rather an imperfection that allowed them to see into their uncharted depths.” – Eugene Kennedy
52. “The fact of storytelling hints at a fundamental human unease, hints at human imperfection. Where there is perfection there is no story to tell.” – Ben Okri
53. “Imperfection and perfection go so hand in hand, and our dark and our light are so intertwined, that by trying to push the darkness or the so-called negative aspects of our life to the side… we are preventing ourselves from the fullness of life.” – Jeff Bridges
54. “Being human means you will make mistakes. And you will make mistakes, because failure is God’s way of moving you in another direction.” – Oprah Winfrey
How do flaws and imperfections make us who we are?
While imperfection is a beautiful part of human nature, striving for perfection and overcoming our flaws and defects is also a part of who we are. Growing from our mistakes helps us become successful and happy.
In order to grow, we have to let ourselves be vulnerable and examine our weaknesses so we can improve on them. There is no reason to feel shame for our natural imperfections. In fact, many so-called flaws are actually imperfections that add to the beauty of our souls and make us lovable. They are what define us as humans and connect us to one another.
What’s your biggest takeaway from these imperfection quotes and sayings? Do you have any other insightful quotes to add? Let us know in the comment section below.