These beautiful authenticity quotes will remind you to always be true to yourself. After all, you are the best friend you could ever have.
Are you living a life that is authentic? What does authenticity really mean?
Are you doing what you love for work? Are you telling the people that matter how much you love and appreciate them on a regular basis? Are you being true to yourself in your thoughts and actions?
The fact is that most people cannot truly say yes to this whole list. We need to learn what needs to change to be our authentic selves again.
Once we learn this, we have an ease and peace we only imagined before. Here are some inspiring authenticity quotes from those who have mastered being genuine.
Also, check out our collection of fake people quotes to help you weed out the not-so-genuine ones.
The Best Inspirational Authenticity Quotes
1. “No legacy is so rich as honesty.” – Shakespeare
2. “Honesty and transparency make you vulnerable. Be honest and transparent anyway.” – Mother Teresa
3. “The closer you stay to emotional authenticity and people, character authenticity, the less you can go wrong. That’s how I feel now, no matter what you’re doing.” – David O. Russell
4. “There is a certain kind of respect for authenticity today that there wasn’t back in the days when they did ‘Cleopatra,’ where everything looked like a giant motel. People want to have it be authentic in the look, and authentic in the way people behave.” – John Milius
5. “Just be what you are and speak from your guts and heart – it’s all a man has.” – Hubert Humphrey
6. “Hard times arouse an instinctive desire for authenticity.” – Coco Chanel
7. “We need to find the courage to say NO to the things and people that are not serving us if we want to rediscover ourselves and live our lives with authenticity.” – Barbara de Angelis
8. “No one man can, for any considerable time, wear one face to himself, and another to the multitude, without finally getting bewildered as to which is the true one.” – Nathaniel Hawthorne
9. “That inner voice has both gentleness and clarity. So to get to authenticity, you really keep going down to the bone, to the honesty, and the inevitability of something.” – Meredith Monk
10. “Be your authentic self. Your authentic self is who you are when you have no fear of judgment, or before the world starts pushing you around and telling you who you’re supposed to be. Your fictional self is who you are when you have a social mask on to please everyone else. Give yourself permission to be your authentic self.” – Dr. Phil
11. “Dare to declare who you are. It is not far from the shores of silence to the boundaries of speech. The path is not long, but the way is deep. You must not only walk there, you must be prepared to leap.” – Hildegard Von Bingen
12. “To find yourself, think for yourself.” – Socrates
13. “Seek out that particular mental attribute which makes you feel most deeply and vitally alive, along with which comes the inner voice which says, “This is the real me,” and when you have found that attitude, follow it.” – William James
14. “Be yourself – not your idea of what you think somebody else’s idea of yourself should be.” – Henry David Thoreau
15. “Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t be trapped by dogma – which is living with the results of other people’s thinking. Don’t let the noise of other’s opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most importantly, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.” – Steve Jobs
16. “The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don’t let them put you in that position.” – Leo Buscaglia
17. “Always be a first-rate version of yourself and not a second-rate version of someone else.” – Judy Garland
Authenticity Quotes and being Sincere
18. “I can be a better me than anyone can.” – Diana Ross
19. “How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people. What is true is invisible to the eye. It is only with the heart that one can see clearly.” – Antoine de Saint-Exupery
20. “Example is not the main thing in influencing others. It is the only thing.” – Albert Schweitzer
21. “To be nobody but myself-in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make me somebody else-means to fight the hardest battle any human can fight, and never stop fighting.” – E.E. Cummings
22. “No matter what your work, let it be your own. No matter what your occupation, let what you are doing be organic. Let it be in your bones. In this way, you will open the door by which the affluence of heaven and earth shall stream into you.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
23. “Everything will line up perfectly when knowing and living the truth becomes more important than looking good.” – Alan Cohen
24. “Authenticity is the alignment of head, mouth, heart, and feet – thinking, saying, feeling, and doing the same thing – consistently. This builds trust, and followers love leaders they can trust.” – Lance Secretan
25. “The keys to brand success are self-definition, transparency, authenticity, and accountability.” – Simon Mainwaring
26. “If you think dealing with issues like worthiness and authenticity and vulnerability are not worthwhile because there are more pressing issues, like the bottom line or attendance or standardized test scores, you are sadly, sadly mistaken. It underpins everything.” – Brene Brown
27. “If any man seeks for greatness, let him forget greatness and ask for truth, and he will find both.” – Horace Mann
28. “A leader will find it difficult to articulate a coherent vision unless it expresses his core values, his basic identity….one must first embark on the formidable journey of self-discovery in order to create a vision with authentic soul.” – Mihaly Csikszentmihaly
Authenticity Quotes To Inspire You
29. “Yes, in all my research, the greatest leaders looked inward and were able to tell a good story with authenticity and passion.” – Deepak Chopra
30. “When you are real in your music, people know it and they feel your authenticity.” – Wynonna Judd
31. “Some writers confuse authenticity, which they ought always to aim at, with originality, which they should never bother about.” – W. H. Auden
32. “My work is about the establishment of trust. For someone to share their authenticity with me is a soul-to-soul thing. It’s not a lens-to-soul thing.” – Lisa Kristine
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of trust issues quotes that will help you understand the meaning of trust.
33. “Only the truth of who you are, if realized, will set you free.” – Eckhart Tolle
34. “The accusation that we’ve lost our soul resonates with a very modern concern about authenticity.” – Patricia Hewitt
35. “Being in your element is not only about aptitude, it’s about passion: it is about loving what you do … tapping into your natural energy and your most authentic self.” – Sir Ken Robinson
36. “Man’s ideal state is realized when he has fulfilled the purpose for which he is born. And what is it that reason demands of him? Something very easy – that he live in accordance with his own nature.” – Seneca
37. “To be what we are, and to become what we are capable of becoming, is the only end in life.” – Robert Louis Stevenson
38. “Don’t settle for a relationship that won’t let you be yourself.” – Oprah Winfrey
39. “Authenticity is about being true to who you are, even when everyone around you wants you to be someone else.” – Michael Jordan
40. “The privilege of a lifetime is to become who you truly are.” – C.G. Jung
More Authenticity Quotes and Sayings
41. “We are constantly invited to be who we are.” – Henry David Thoreau
42. “I had no idea that being your authentic self could make me as rich as I’ve become. If I had, I’d have done it a lot earlier.” – Oprah Winfrey
43. “Accept no one’s definition of your life, define yourself.” – Anonymous
44. “Don’t compromise yourself. You are all you’ve got.” – Janis Joplin
45. “To become authentic we require a thirst for freedom.” – Don Mateo Sol
46. “We have to dare to be ourselves, however frightening or strange that self may prove to be.” – May Sarton
47. “Authenticity is more than speaking; Authenticity is also about doing. Every decision we make says something about who we are.” – Simon Sinek
48. “The most common form of despair is not being who you are.” – Soren Kierkegaard
49. “Authenticity is at the heart of success.” – Anonymous
50. “Be yourself. Authenticity trumps cool every time.” – Craig Groeschel
Which of these authenticity quotes struck you most, and why?
We’d love to hear from you. Leave a comment below and tell us how well you liked these authenticity quotes.
If you enjoyed any of these sayings, feel free to share them on social media.
Get a copy to carry with you for inspiration. There’s nothing like good authenticity quotes to remind you to be your best, genuine self everyday.
September 9, 2020 6:00 AM EST