Feel the flow and ride the wave with our Chasing Mavericks quotes.
Chasing Mavericks is a film that tells the story of American surfer Jay Moriarity.
Anyone who loves surfing or the idea of living in the present will enjoy our Chasing Mavericks quotes below.
You may also enjoy these related articles:
What is Chasing Mavericks?
Chasing Mavericks is a 2012 film starring Gerard Butler and Johnny Weston.
This family-friendly movie is a feel-good story about what it means to push yourself to your limits.
Check out our Chasing Mavericks facts below:
- The real Frosty Hesson had many students, not just Jay.
- The water rescue scene in the film is an adaptation that did not occur in real life.
- The actual Jay met Frosty in 1990 in Santa Cruz, where he asked him about surfing.
Is Chasing Mavericks only for surfers?
While surfing is an integral part of the film, this movie covers a lot of ground.
From self-esteem to confidence to family relations, Chasing Mavericks has something in it for everyone.
Jay Moriarity’s story is incredible.
This film explores the depths of his passion for surfing while reminding the audience of the importance of living in the present.
We all have dreams, but if we fail to act on our excitement, we lose the opportunity to make our dreams come true.
People who love the sport of surfing will be excited to see all of the amazing water action, carves, and drop-ins.
However, Chasing Mavericks still offers entertainment value for people who are not passionate about surfing.
Gerard Butler and Johnny Weston did many of their own stunts in the film.
While riding a large wave, Butler wiped out and had to be taken to the hospital to treat his injuries.
What is Chasing Mavericks about?
In the film, Jay has a passion for surfing but lacks a teacher.
He looks up to Frosty, a big wave surfer in his community.
The film covers Jay’s journey as he convinces Frosty to teach him how to surf the legendary Mavericks waves off California’s coast.
While Jay is headstrong, his passion for surfing wins over Frosty, who agrees to train him.
Frosty teaches Jay the craft of surfing and, through this education, teaches him some essential life lessons.
To learn more, check out our Chasing Mavericks quotes below.
Short Chasing Mavericks quotes by Jay Moriarity about riding the big wave
Jay will do anything to feel alive, including riding the biggest waves.
1. “So why do it?” — Jay Moriarity, Chasing Mavericks
2. “I want to ride that wave.” — Jay Moriarity, Chasing Mavericks
3. “Cause I’ll know that I am alive.” — Jay Moriarity, Chasing Mavericks
4. “The biggest wave in the world, Mavericks, it’s real.”— Jay Moriarity, Chasing Mavericks
5. “You ever see something, and you think that’s the reason you are put on this earth?” — Jay Moriarity, Chasing Mavericks
The best Chasing Mavericks quotes from Frosty Hesson about the sea
Frosty is the legendary surfer who teaches Jay how to find himself.
6. “We all come from the sea, but we are not all of the sea.” — Frosty Hesson, Chasing Mavericks
7. “This is about more than just surfing. This is about choices you make in life.” — Frosty Hesson, Chasing Mavericks
8. “As for the rest, all I will say is… the ones who push the limits, discover the limits, sometimes push back.” — Frosty Hesson, Chasing Mavericks
9. “What’s going on inside of you, Jay? What are you afraid of? You’ve got a chance to change everything. Take it.” — Frosty Hesson, Chasing Mavericks
10. “Those of us who are, we children of the tides, must return to it again and again, until the day we don’t come back leaving behind only that which was touched along the way.” — Frosty Hesson, Chasing Mavericks
The top Kim Moriarity quotes from Chasing Mavericks about encouraging the ones you love
Kim was scared but did not let fear stop her from supporting Jay.
11. “I can’t watch this.” — Kim Moriarity, Chasing Mavericks
12. “You don’t have to do this.” — Kim Moriarity, Chasing Mavericks
13. “Jay, why are you doing this?” — Kim Moriarity, Chasing Mavericks
14. “What are you talking about?” — Kim Moriarity, Chasing Mavericks
15. “Jay, what are you talking about?” — Kim Moriarity, Chasing Mavericks
Famous inspirational Chasing Mavericks quotes about reaching the top of your craft
Chasing Mavericks is a film that inspires you to push yourself to your limits.
16. “Untrained boys don’t step into the ring against Mike Tyson.” — Frosty Hesson, Chasing Mavericks
17. “This is about finding that one thing that sets you free. You need to believe in yourself, or none of this matters.” — Frosty Hesson, Chasing Mavericks
18. “I know how good you are. I’ve seen you out there. You surf circles around those other kids. Those are normal waves.” — Frosty Hesson, Chasing Mavericks
19. “In 1987, I pulled an eight-year-old kid out of the surf. A few years later, I discovered our journey together was far from over.” — Frosty Hesson, Chasing Mavericks
20. “Surfing normal waves is about how you perform when everything goes right. Big wave surfing it’s a different ball game. It’s about how you perform when everything goes wrong.” — Frosty Hesson, Chasing Mavericks
Chasing Mavericks quotes and sayings about forgetting the pain
If you want to ride the big waves, you might have to take some bumps and bruises.
21. “It’s got nowhere to go.” — Jay Moriarity, Chasing Mavericks
22. “Get out of here. I got work to do.” — Frosty Hesson, Chasing Mavericks
23. “Train me then. Train me to ride it.” — Jay Moriarity, Chasing Mavericks
24. “That boy’s going to surf that wave anyway, even if he dies trying. I mean, wouldn’t you?” — Brenda Hesson, Chasing Mavericks
25. “If you want to get out there, you got to forget about the pain. A wave like Mavericks will hold you down for minutes at a time.” — Frosty Hesson, Chasing Mavericks
What can we learn from Chasing Mavericks?
Chasing Mavericks is the story of a determined surfer, but it is not just a movie about surfing.
Anybody with a dream will relate to Jay; his character embodies the drive and determination all of us should put into making our dreams into reality.
Even though the film has a PG-13 rating, namely for its action scenes and some language, it is still a great movie for young people to enjoy and learn from.
Each of us must live our personal legend.
The tagline for Chasing Mavericks is “Legends start somewhere,” which is an amazing theme for any young person to come across.
And while this film might not have been up for any major awards, it still offers great content and life lessons we can all apply.
Do you have a favorite quote from Chasing Mavericks?
Please be sure to let us know in the comments section below.