Read these wise grandpa quotes to remind you of the bond you have with your grandfather.
When a grandfather holds their grandchild for the first time, it is an instantaneous love. The bond that a grandpa has for their grandbaby is a special bond that is like no other relationship.
What makes grandfathers so special?
As the child grows, the grandpa becomes to mean so much. A grandpa is a protector, a role model, a friend, and a consultant, and a confidant. Children know that their grandpas would do anything for them.
These wise grandfather quotes share an insight into the relationship of a child and their grandpa. Grandfathers are a source of inspiration for a grandchild, just as the grandchild is an inspiration to their grandfather.
Also check out these getting older quotes and sayings that will make you embrace the beauty in aging.
Inspirational grandpa quotes
1. “My grandfather was a wonderful role model. Through him I got to know the gentle side of men.” – Sarah Long
2. “CJ, let me tell you something, don’t ever, ever underestimate the will of a Grandfather. We’re madmen, we don’t give a damn; we got here before you and they will be here after you. We’ll make enemies, we’ll break laws, we’ll break bones, but you will not mess with the grandchildren!” – President Josiah Bartlet (Martin Sheen), The West Wing
3. “Grandfathers give us not only wisdom and encouragement, but they are an inspiration to us.” — Kate Summers
4. “My grandfather did a lot of things in his life. What he was most proud of was raising his family.” — Tagg Romney
5. “Grandparenting is our consummate opportunity to serve rather than to be served, to love without taking offense, and to cheerlead and hand-hold those who come behind.” – Marty Norman
6. “My Granddad was very protective of his family, and always wanted the best for us.” – Naomi Dowdy
7. “Not a tenth of us who are in business are doing as well as we could if we merely followed the principles that were known to our grandfathers.” — William Feather
8. “Being an exceptional grandfather is not about changing your grandkids. It is about changing yourself.” — Eyre Richard
9. “To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo”.” — Robert Brault
10. “We grandparents are God’s special gifts to grandchildren, to our adult children and to the world.” — Rich Bimler
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of grandparent quotes about the power of family.
11. “My grandfather once told me that there are two kinds of people: those who work and those who take the credit. He told me to try to be in the first group; there was much less competition.” ―Indira Gandhi
12. “I was taught by my grandfather that anything that your mind can conceive, you can have. It’s a reality.” ―Lenny Kravitz
Funny grandfather quotes
13. “I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather — not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.” – Wil Shriner
14. “I come from a long line of fighters. My maternal grandfather was the toughest guy I ever knew. World War II veteran, killed 20 men, then spent the rest of the war in an Allied prison camp. My father battled blood pressure and obesity all his life. Different kind of fight.” – Dwight Schrute (Rainn Wilson), The Office
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of hilarious Dwight Schrute quotes for The Office fans.
15. “Grandfathers know a lot. I know this because I am a grandfather and I feel like I know a lot of things, and frankly I’m rarely wrong.” – Blaine Pardoe
16. “No cowboy was ever faster on the draw than a grandparent pulling a baby picture out of a wallet.” — Unknown
17. “My grandfather always said that living is like licking honey off a thorn.” — Louis Adamic
18. “As my father-in-law says, he planned extensively to be a father, but becoming a grandfather just happened. He didn’t have a chance to prepare.” — Elizabeth Laban
19. “Grandfather was well known for being stubborn in his ideas. For instance, you had to go to sleep facing east so that you would be ready to greet the sun when it returned.” — Michael Dorris
20. “Grandchildren don’t stay young forever, which is good because Pop-pops have only so many horsey rides in them.” ― Gene Perret
You might also like these wise legacy quotes to remind you of where you come from.
Wise grandpa quotes
21. “One of the most powerful handclasps is that of a new grandbaby around the finger of a grandfather.” – Joy Hargrove
22. “Every generation revolts against its fathers and makes friends with its grandfathers.” – Lewis Mumford
23. “Grandfathers do have a special place in the lives of their children’s children. They can delight and play with them and even indulge them in ways that they did not indulge their own children. Grandfather knows that after the fun and games are over with his adorable grandchildren he can return to the quiet of his own home and peacefully reflect on this phenomenon of fatherhood.” – Alvin Poussaint
24. “Grandpa got us up early, otherwise we might miss something. Sunsets, he loved ’em. Made us love ’em.” — Lucille Ball
25. “Just as knowledge is derived from information, wisdom begins with knowledge, grows with experience, and is empowered by discernment.” — Joseph Marshall III
26. “Grandpas are a wealth of information.” — Bryna Nelson Paston
27. “One thing you always taught me grandfather is that patience which is the length of time is better than anything, there is no reason to rush in life, better things come with patience.” — Nicole Gopher Mampuya
28. “Becoming a father is usually a rational, participatory act. Becoming a grandfather is, at best, an irrational one: Without anyone asking your permission or advice, you suddenly find yourself cohabiting with a grandmother.” – Myron LaBan
29. “To be able to watch your children’s children grow up is truly a blessing from above.” — Byron Pulsifer
30. “You’ve got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was.” — Irish Proverb
31. “I don’t know who my grandfather was; I am much more concerned to know what his grandson will be.” – Abraham Lincoln
32. “Advice to those who want to be a good grandfather? Be compassionate, understanding and loving. Spend as much time with your descendants as you can. Let them know you appreciate and have confidence in the younger generations. Our example is more than our words; the lives we live speak louder than our words.” — Ron A. Bishop
Heartwarming grandfather quotes
33. “One of the most powerful handclasps is that of a new grandbaby around the finger of a grandfather.” – Joy Hargrove
34. “There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson.” – Victor Hugo
35. “More and more, when I single out the person out who inspired me most, I go back to my grandfather.” – James Earl Jones
36. “Grandfathers are magicians who create wonderful memories for their grandchildren.” —Unknown
37. “Being a grandfather is one of the true joys of life; it is an awesome time.” – Catherine Pulsifer
38. “A godly grandmother or grandfather is always welcome in a child’s life. But being a godly praying “Gramma” or “Grampa” is a gift you can deliberately give your grandchildren even if you don’t see them often.” — Stormie Omartian
39. “A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart.” —Unknown
40. “I’m going to be your grandpa! I have the biggest smile. I’ve been waiting to meet you for such a long, long while.” — Billy Crystal
41. “The sweetest sound to the ears of a grandfather is the endearing name his grandchildren give him. It not only conveys recognition but also a depth of feeling expressed in no other way.” — Carolyn Booth
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of loving grandchildren quotes to spark joy.
42. “The work of a father and now grandfather is my most important role. I still cherish the moments we share.” — Akil White Khalid
Loving grandpa quotes
43. “A grandfather makes us laugh, makes us feel safe, and always makes us feel loved.” — Kate Summers
44. “A baby has a way of making a man out of his father and a boy out of his grandfather.” — Angie Papadakis
45. “Being a grandfather gives us a second chance at being a dad without all the day-to-day duties of being a dad. Fathers get one chance at being a dad.” — Dr Richard B Liposky
46. “Perfect love sometimes does not come until the first grandchild.” ― Welsh Proverb
47. “My grandfather was a man, when he talked about freedom, his attitude was really interesting. His view was that you had obligations, or you had responsibilities, and when you fulfilled those obligations or responsibilities, that then gave you the liberty to do other things.” ― Clarence Thomas
48. “Being a grandparent is one of the best feelings you will ever have. It can even be the best time of your life. Your kids are grown. There’s time for you. Now you can have fun!” — Janet Steele
49. “You have to be young to be a grandfather. If you aren’t, being a grandfather will make you young again.” — Zezima Jerry
50. “Every parent knows that children look at their grandparents as a source of wisdom and security.” —David Jeremiah
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of wisdom quotes from the world’s greatest minds.
More grandpa quotes
51. “My grandmother started walking five miles a day when she was sixty. She’s ninety-seven now, and we don’t know where the heck she is.” – Ellen DeGeneres
52. “In this huge old occidental culture our teaching elders are books. Books are our grandparents!” – Gary Snyder
53. “When grandparents enter the door, discipline flies out the window.” – Ogden Nash
54. “When she smiles, the lines in her face become epic narratives that trace the stories of generations that no book can replace.” – Curtis Tyrone Jones
55. “The simplest toy, one which even the youngest child can operate, is called a grandparent.” – Sam Levenson
56. “Grandparents are extremely rich folks with silver in their hair and gold in their hearts.” – Mamur Mustapha
Did you enjoy these grandfather quotes?
Grandpa, pops, grampy, gramps, grandfather… Whatever it is that you call your grandpa, you know that you are lucky to have such a special person in your life.
These grandpa quotes are a loving reminder to the wise, strong, and gentle person you’re lucky to call grandfather. No matter what, you know that your grandfather always has your back. He will always be there, cheering you on from the sidelines and supporting you in your goals, just like he’s been doing since the day you were born.
Which loving grandpa quote was your favorite? Do you have a special story about your grandpa that you’d like to share with us? Let us know in the comment section below.