The following hunting quotes do a good job of showing the passion and appreciation that hunters have for the sport and the animal.
Are you ready to head out in nature?
True hunters and outdoorsmen love getting out in nature. They are passionate about nature and wildlife.
Those that aren’t hunters often think it’s just about killing the animal, but as these quotes explain, true hunters have a respect for the animal and a focus on following the laws and helping to control the populations.
They take what they are doing seriously while looking forward to being outdoors with a chance to connect with nature.
There are many reasons why hunters enjoy and invest time and money into what they do.
Hunting quotes about the outdoors
1. “Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.” – Fred Bear
2. “A duck call in the hands of the unskilled is one of the conservation’s greatest assets.” – Nash Buckingham
3. “Not all those who wander are lost.” – J.R.R. Tolkien
4. “A gun is like a woman, son — it’s all how you hold her.” – Rhett Atkins
Quotes about hunting techniques
5. “You must not only aim right but draw the bow with all your might.” – Henry David Thoreau
6. “Fortunately, as it pertains to guns, my dad and uncle introduced me to guns the way it needs to be done: smart, slow and safe.”— Ted Nugent
7. “But love of the wilderness is more than a hunger for what is always beyond reach; it is also an expression of loyalty to the earth which bore us and sustains us, the only home we shall ever know, the only paradise we ever need – if only we had eyes to see.” – Edward Abbey
8. “The hunting partnership between man and dog developed thousands of years ago and from it came a deep bond of affection. I suspect it was the dog’s idea.” – Aaron Fraser
9. “I am proud to have been born in Iowa. Through the eyes of a 10-year-old boy, it was a place of adventure and daily discoveries – the wonder of the growing crops, the excitements of the harvest, the journeys to the woods for nuts and hunting, the joys of snowy winters, the comfort of the family fireside, of good food and tender care.”- Herber Hoover
10. “When done under the rules of good sportsmanship duck hunting is a culmination of art, skill, and scientific endeavor. It is also an act of love, for who loves the birds more than the hunter?” – Bob Hinnan
11. “If there is a sacred moment in the ethical pursuit of game, it is the moment you release the arrow or touch off the fatal shot.” – Jim Posewitz
12. “When he was young, I told Dale Jr. that hunting and racing are a lot alike. Holding that steering wheel and holding that rifle both mean you better be responsible.” — Dale Earnhardt
13. “You know, if you need 100 rounds to kill a deer, maybe hunting isn’t your sport.” – Elayne Boosler
14. “A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Hunting quotes about wildlife
15. “Wildlife and its habitat cannot speak, so we must and we will.” – Theodore Roosevelt
16. “The truth is… I’m always saddened when I kill an animal. It’s not remorse I feel, I know why I’m a hunter. It’s out of respect.” – Donnie Vincent
17. “In a civilized and cultivated country wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen. The excellent people who protest against all hunting, and consider sportsmen as enemies of wild life, are ignorant of the fact that in reality the genuine sportsman is by all odds the most important factor in keeping the larger and more valuable wild creatures from total extermination.” – Theodore Roosevelt
18. “Death by violence, death by cold, death by starvation, – these are the normal endings of the stately and beautiful creatures of the wilderness. The sentimentalists who prattle about the peaceful life of nature do not realize its utter mercilessness;…Life is hard and cruel for all the lower creatures, and for man also in what the sentimentalists call a “state of nature.”-Theodore Roosevelt
19. “You might as well learn that a man who catches fish or shoots game has got to make it fit to eat before he sleeps. Otherwise it’s all a waste and a sin to take it if you can’t use it.” — Robert Ruark
20. “The true trophy hunter is a self-disciplined perfectionist seeking a single animal, the ancient patriarch well past his prime that is often an outcast from his own kind… If successful, he will enshrine the trophy in a place of honor. This is a more noble and fitting end than dying on some lost and lonely ledge where the scavengers will pick his bones, and his magnificent horns will weather away and be lost forever.” – Elgin Gates
21. “A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers, but borrowed from his children.” – John James Audubon
22. “I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only as a target, but as a living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s way of fang and claw and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow.” – Fred Bear
Hunting quotes about the excitement it brings
23. “Don’t get much better than fall. Bring on the camo, ammo, ducks, and bucks.” – Earl Dibbles, Jr.
24. “’The best thing about hunting and fishing,’ the Old Man said, ‘is that you don’t have to actually do it to enjoy it. You can go to bed every night thinking about how much fun you had twenty years ago, and it all comes back clear as moonlight.’” — Robert Ruark
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of fishing quotes that will make you want to head out on the water.
25. “If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the gods must clearly smile on hunting.” – Aristotle
26. “When a hunter is in a treestand with moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God.” – Fred Bear
Hunting quotes on why people love the sport
27. “Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.” – Fred Bear
28. “Maybe stalking the woods is as vital to the human condition as playing music or putting words to paper. Maybe hunting has as much of a claim on our civilized selves as anything else. After all, the earliest forms of representational art reflect hunters and prey. While the arts were making us spiritually viable, hunting did the heavy lifting of not only keeping us alive, but inspiring us. To abhor hunting is to hate the place from which you came, which is akin to hating yourself in some distant, abstract way.” ― Steven Rinella
29. “I’m an outdoors girl – I like to go fishing, riding four-wheelers and hunting.” – Miranda Lambert
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of outdoor quotes for adventurous nature lovers.
30. “Perhaps I should not have been a fisherman, he thought. But that was the thing that I was born for.” — Ernest Hemingway
31. “If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it.” – Fred Bear
More hunting quotes
32. “You can see the true heart of a man when you’re out in the woods with a weapon.” – Jase Robertson
33. “A peculiar virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaud or disapprove of his conduct. Whatever his acts, they are dictated by his own conscience, rather than that of onlookers. It is difficult to exaggerate the importance of this fact.” – Aldo Leopold
34. “I never knew a man that hunted quail that didn’t come out of it a little politer by comparison.” — Robert Ruark
35. “I did not mind killing anything, any animal, if I killed it cleanly, they all had to die and my interference with the nightly and the seasonal killing that went on all the time was very minute and I had no guilty feeling at all. We ate the meat and kept the hides and horns.” – Ernest Hemingway
36. “I don’t always tell people where I hunt, but when I do, it’s a lie.” – Dos Equis
37. “Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians — except for the occasional mountain lion steak.” — Ted Nugent
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of vegan quotes to inspire your new diet.
38. “The only reason I ever played golf in the first place was so I could afford to hunt and fish.” — Sam Snead
39. “The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind.” – Fred Bear
40. “My biggest fear is that when I die, my wife will sell my hunting gear for what I said I paid for it.” – Unknown
Which of these hunting quotes inspired you to head out in nature
Reading through the quotes about hunting and nature can be just what you need to want to head outdoors and reconnect with nature.
The woods are peaceful and tranquil and allow hunters the chance to step away from the busyness of modern living.
Hunting allows people to help control the animal population to keep animals from suffering through harsh winters and scarce food.
Hunting is an age-old hobby that people have continued to enjoy and participate in year after year.
If you are feeling disconnected from nature, one way to change that is to get back into the woods and see it for yourself.
Which of these hunting quotes and sayings resonated with you best? Do you have any other favorite quotes to add? Let us know in the comment section below.
February 24, 2020 7:31 AM EST