In 1987, a romantic drama starring Patrick Swayze and Jennifer Grey took the world by storm.
The film, which is one of the most popular films of all time, was aptly called Dirty Dancing.
By today’s standards, there is not much ‘dirty’ about any of those moves, but in the late 80s, they were considered a little risque, and definitely not something ‘decent people’ did in the 60s (when the movie was set).
Especially for the upper-class crowd portrayed in Dirty Dancing.
If you are wondering what some of the most famous lines are from the movie, then just keep reading through these Dirty Dancing quotes!
The movie had it all!
Dancing and drama, love and betrayal, social awareness, and a little rebellion, all packaged with a ‘stick it to the man’ attitude.
It was perfect and if you haven’t seen it, you really should.
Here a quick recap though so these Dirty Dancing quotes make sense!
It is 1963, and Frances Houseman is on vacation with her family at Kellerman’s, an upscale Catskills resort.
One night, Baby witnesses Max, the owner, and her dad’s friend, telling the servers (all Ivy League students), to flirt with guests’ daughters, no matter how unattractive.
Max is rude to the entertainment staff (working-class people), including Johnny Castle, a dance instructor.
There is an instant attraction between the two when Baby and Johnny meet at a staff party.
Was the chemistry between Patrick Swayze and Jennifer Grey real though?
Keep reading to find out!
Don’t forget to also check out these Optimus Prime quotes from the Transformers Autobot leader.
The most memorable Dirty Dancing movie quotes
1. “Nobody puts Baby in a corner.” — Johnny Castle
You will also enjoy our article on pretty Woman quotes.
2. “You were right, Johnny. You can’t win no matter what you do!” — Frances “Baby” Houseman
You will also enjoy our article on Grey’s Anatomy quotes.
3. “Don’t put your heel down, don’t put your heel down.” — Johnny Castle
4. “It’s not on the one, it’s not the mambo. It’s a feeling, a heartbeat.” — Johnny Castle
5. “Sure Neil. No problem. We’ll end the season with the Pachenga.” — Johnny Castle
6. “I carried a watermelon.” — Frances “Baby” Houseman
7. “Where is my beige iridescent lipstick?” — Lisa Houseman
8. “I’ve decided to go all the way with Robbie.” — Lisa Houseman
9. “When I’m wrong, I say I’m wrong.” — Dr. Jake Houseman
10. “Go back to your playpen, Baby.” — Penny Johnson
You will also enjoy our article on dance quotes.
Famous Dirty Dancing quotes from “Baby”
11. “We’re supposed to do the show in two days, you won’t show me the lifts, I’m not sure of the turns, I’m doing all this to save your ass, what I really want to do is drop you on it!” — Frances “Baby” Houseman
12. “That was the summer of 1963—when everybody called me Baby, and it didn’t occur to me to mind. That was before President Kennedy was shot, before the Beatles came, when I couldn’t wait to join the Peace Corps, and I thought I’d never find a guy as great as my dad. That was the summer we went to Kellerman’s.” — Frances “Baby” Houseman
13. “Me? I’m scared of everything. I’m scared of what I saw, I’m scared of what I did, of who I am, and most of all I’m scared of walking out of this room and never feeling the rest of my whole life the way I feel when I’m with you.” — Frances “Baby” Houseman
14. “You told me you wanted me to change the world, make it better. But you meant by becoming a lawyer or an economist and marrying someone from Harvard. I’m not proud of myself, but I’m in this family too and you can’t keep giving me the silent treatment. There are a lot of things about me that aren’t what you thought. But if you love me, you have to love all the things about me, and I love you and I’m sorry I let you down. I’m so sorry, Daddy. But you let me down too.” — Frances “Baby” Houseman
15. “So I did it for nothing. I hurt my family, you lost your job anyway, I did it for nothing!” — Frances “Baby” Houseman
16. “Yeah, tell him your ideas! He’s a person like everyone else. I’m sure he’ll think they’re great.” — Frances “Baby” Houseman
17. “It-it’s just wrong this way. It should be with someone – it should be with someone that you sort of love.” — Frances “Baby” Houseman
18. “They fired you anyway because of me.” — Frances “Baby” Houseman
19. “Well, then why not fight harder? Make them listen?” — Frances “Baby” Houseman
You will also enjoy our article on Five Feet Apart quotes.
Dirty Dancing quotes and lines from Johnny
20. “Now, you’ll hurt me if you don’t trust me, all right?” — Johnny Castle
21. “You wanna hear somethin’ crazy? Last night I… I dreamed that we were walkin’ along and we met your father. He said, ‘Come on,’ and he put his arm around me. Just like he did with Robbie.” — Johnny Castle
22. “That little wimp. He wouldn’t know a new idea if it hit him in the Pachenga.” — Johnny Castle
23. “I don’t see you fightin’ so hard, Baby. I don’t see you runnin’ up to daddy tellin’ him I’m your guy.” — Johnny Castle
24. “Look, I know these people, Baby. They’re all rich and they’re mean. They won’t listen to me.” — Johnny Castle
25. “And if I leave quietly, I’ll get my summer bonus.” — Johnny Castle
Which of these Dirty Dancing quotes is your favorite?
The truth is that both stars talked about their frustration with the other, over the course of their careers.
So the tension the audience feels is definitely there, just not in the way we interpret it!
After Johnny and Baby meet, they face a series of challenges including having to get Baby’s dad to save Johnny’s former dance partner from a botched abortion.
Jake Houseman wrongfully assumes that Johnny is the father, but it’s actually Robbie, who has been trying to romance Baby’s elder sister,
The audience witnesses the tension between the stars while Johnny is trying to teach Baby the dance moves for a competition he was supposed to enter with his old partner.
Their animosity for one another added so much extra heat to these scenes.
Ultimately, they are discovered and Baby’s father forbids her from having anything to do with Johnny, which leads up to the most memorable line of the film, “Nobody puts Baby in a corner.”
It’s such a worthwhile film to watch, with a fabulous story and stellar acting, so if you haven’t watched it, carve out about two hours and give it a shot.
Are you already a fan?
Let us know your favorite Dirty Dancing quotes and lines in the comment section below!