These heartrending Grey’s Anatomy quotes delivered every episode by the show’s powerful characters are hard to ignore.
They provide inspiration and can jolt you awake when you need it most during life’s imperfect moments.
What sets Grey’s Anatomy apart as one of the best?
What happens behind the scenes among medical professionals dealing with sickness, breakthroughs, and deaths on a daily basis while going through their own personal crises has always been a great formula for success for TV dramas but there’s something about Grey’s Anatomy that sets it apart as one of the best.
Created by Shonda Rhimes, the series premiered on March 27, 2005, on ABC.
It has been well received by critics and is considered to have had a significant effect on pop culture.
The show has received many awards including the Golden Globe Award for Best Television Series – Drama and a total of 38 Primetime Emmy Award nominations.
If you’re feeling a little down in life and contemplating giving up, here’s a dose of inspiration to keep your spirits up and fighting through.
If you need more inspirational quotes, check out our motivational quotes category page.
Grey’s Anatomy quotes on life lessons
1. “I’m sure it must feel as though everything is coming apart, but you can get through this.” – Grey’s Anatomy
You will also enjoy our article on house md quotes.
2. “My point is sometimes the best gifts come in really surprising packages.” – Grey’s Anatomy
You will also enjoy our article on fifty shades of grey quotes.
3. “The future is the home of our deepest fears and our wildest hopes.” – Grey’s Anatomy
You will also enjoy our article on grey quotes.
4. “Don’t let what he wants eclipse what you need. He’s very dreamy but he’s not the sun. You are.” – Grey’s Anatomy
5. “Sometimes it’s good to be scared. It means you still have something to lose.” – Grey’s Anatomy
6. “Change. We don’t like it, we fear it. But we can’t stop it from coming. We either adapt to change or we get left behind. It hurts to grow. Anybody who tells you it doesn’t is lying. But here’s the truth. Sometimes the more things change, the more they stay the same. And sometimes, oh, sometimes change is good. Sometimes change is everything.” – Grey’s Anatomy
7. “Each of you comes here today hopeful. Wanting in on the game. A month ago, you were in med school being taught by doctors. Today, you are the doctors. The seven years you spend here as surgical residents will be the best and worst of your life. You will be pushed to the breaking point. Look around you. Say hello to your competition. Eight of you will switch to an easier specialty. Five of you will crack under the pressure and two of you will be asked to leave. This is your starting line. This is your arena. How well you play? That’s up to you.” – Grey’s Anatomy
9. “If you aren’t willing to keep looking for light in the darkest of places without stopping, even when it seems impossible, you will never succeed.” – Grey’s Anatomy
10. “If you love someone, you tell them. Even if you’re scared that it’s not the right thing. Even if you’re scared that it’ll cause problems. Even if you’re scared that it will burn your life to the ground, you say it, and you say it loud and you go from there.” – Grey’s Anatomy
Grey’s Anatomy quotes to keep your spirits up
11. “Ask most people what they want out of life and the answer is simple – to be happy. Maybe it’s this expectation of wanting to be happy that just keeps us from ever getting there.” – Grey’s Anatomy
12. “It can be scary to find out you’ve been wrong about something. But we can’t be afraid to change our minds, to accept that things are different, that they’ll never be the same, for better or for worse. We have to be willing to give up what we used to believe. The more we’re willing to accept what is and not what we thought, we’ll find ourselves exactly where we belong.” – Grey’s Anatomy
13. “It doesn’t matter how tough we are. Trauma always leaves a scar. It follows us home. It changes our lives. Trauma messes everybody up. But maybe that’s the point. All the pain and the fear and the crap. Maybe going through all that is what keeps us moving forward. It’s what pushes us. Maybe we have to get a little messed up before we can step up.” – Grey’s Anatomy
14. “It turns out sometimes you have to do the wrong thing. Sometimes you have to make a big mistake to figure out how to make things right. Mistakes are painful but they’re the only way to find out who we really are.” – Grey’s Anatomy
15. “It’s one of those things people say. You can’t move on until you let go of the past.’ Letting go is the easy part, it’s the moving on that’s painful. So sometimes we fight it, trying to keep things the same. Things can’t stay the same though. At some point you just have to let it go. Move on. Because no matter how painful it is, it’s the only way we grow.” – Grey’s Anatomy
16. “Just when we think we’ve figured things out, the universe throws us a curve ball. So, we have to improvise. We find happiness in unexpected places. We find our way back to the things that matter the most. The universe is funny that way, sometimes it just has a way of making sure we wind up exactly where we belong.” – Grey’s Anatomy
17. “Maybe I do believe it, all this ‘meant to be’ stuff. Why not believe it, really? Who doesn’t want more romance in their life? Maybe it’s just up to us to make it happen. To show up and be meant for each other.” – Grey’s Anatomy
18. “Maybe we like the pain. Maybe we’re wired that way. Because without it, I don’t know. Maybe we just wouldn’t feel real. What’s that saying? Why do I keep hitting myself with a hammer? Because it feels so good when I stop.” – Grey’s Anatomy
19. “At some point, you have to make a decision. Boundaries don’t keep other people out. They fence you in. Life is messy. That’s how we’re made. So, you can waste your lives drawing lines. Or you can live your life crossing them.” – Grey’s Anatomy
20. “Pain comes in all forms. The small twinge, a bit of soreness, the random pain, the normal pains we live with every day. Then there is the kind of pain you can’t ignore. A level of pain so great that it blocks out everything else. Makes the rest of the world fade away. Until all we can think about is how much we hurt. How we manage our pain is up to us. We anesthetize, ride it out, embrace it, ignore it, and for some of us the best way to manage pain is to just push through it.” – Grey’s Anatomy
Also, check out these Cristina Yang quotes.
Grey’s Anatomy quotes to help you win your battles
21. “Some days, the whole world seems upside down. And then somehow, and probably, when you least expect it, the world gets right again.” – Grey’s Anatomy
22. “Don’t let fear keep you quiet. You have a voice so use it. Speak up. Raise your hands. Shout your answers. Make yourself heard. Whatever it takes, just find your voice, and when you do, fill the damn silence.” – Grey’s Anatomy
23. “The body is a slave to its impulses. But the thing that makes us human is what we can control. After the storm, after the rush, after the heat of the moment has passed, we can cool off and clean up the messes we made. We can try to let go of what was.” – Grey’s Anatomy
24. “Cause you never think that the last time is the last time. You think there will be more. You think you have forever but you don’t.” – Grey’s Anatomy
25. “The human life is made up of choices. Live or die. That’s the important choice. And it’s not always in our hands.” – Grey’s Anatomy
You might also like these quotes from Supernatural about light and darkness.
What did you learn from these Grey’s Anatomy quotes?
These Grey’s Anatomy quotes attest to the TV show’s brilliant writing courtesy of Shonda Rhimes and given life by its award-winning cast who played fictional doctors.
Fans have fallen in love with the show’s cast, who include Meredith Grey, Richard Webber, Derek Shepherd, and Mark Sloan.
Grey’s Anatomy is one of the longest-running medical TV series to date and for good reasons.
The TV show not only gives us access to what goes on in doctors’ lounges, operating rooms, homes, and minds as they go through their day-to-day battle to save lives but it also teaches us powerful lessons in life we can arm ourselves with so we can fight and hopefully, win our own battles.
What’s your biggest takeaway from these Grey’s Anatomy quotes and lines?
Do you have any other inspirational quotes to add?
Let us know in the comment section below.