If you love rom-coms, share your favorite Pretty Woman quotes in the comments section below.
Pretty Woman is an American romantic comedy from 1990, starring Julia Roberts and Richard Gere.
The premise of the movie was pretty original and followed the relationship between a broke Hollywood prostitute named Vivian Ward (Roberts) and Edward Lewis (Gere), a wealthy businessman.
Interestingly, the movie was not supposed to be the beloved Rom-Com we all associate with the song, “Oh, Pretty Woman.” It was supposed to be a darker tale about the struggles and realities of prostitution. Thankfully, the film took a different turn, and the audience got to fall in love with the wit and humor of this modern-day fairy tale.
These Pretty Woman quotes include a little bit of everything, though, including some of the reminders of the hardship prostitutes face. However, they also include some of the most iconic and hilarious conversations from the film.
The film was successful at the box office but received mixed reviews from critics. More than 30 years later, audiences are still moved by the movie. I know I cry every time I watch it! Enjoy these Pretty Woman quotes!
Don’t forget to also check out these When Harry Met Sally quotes for your romantic side.
Some of the best Pretty Woman quotes from Vivian
1. “Edward? That’s my favorite name in the whole world!”
2. “Honey, I’ve got a runner in my pantyhose. [exposing more of her thigh] I’m not wearing pantyhose!”
3. “Baby, I’m gonna treat you so nice, you’re never gonna wanna let me go.”
4. “It was so good, I almost peed my pants!”
5. “You know you could pay me now and break the ice.”
6. “I appreciate this whole seduction thing you’ve got going on here, but let me give you a tip: I’m a sure thing.”
7. “You could freeze ice on his wife’s ass.”
8. “I think you have a lot of special gifts.”
9. [sitting with Edward leaning against her in the bathtub] “Did I mention, my leg is 44 inches from hip to toe. So basically we are talking about 88 inches of therapy wrapped around you for the bargain price of three thousand dollars.”
10. [At the beginning of the evening] “In case I forget to tell you later, I had a really good time tonight.”
Pretty Woman quotes from Edward
11. “She said she liked it better than Pirates of Penzance.”
12. “You and I are such similar creatures, Vivian. We both screw people for money.”
13. “Do you have anything in this shop as beautiful as she is?”
14. “So what happens after he climbs up and rescues her?”
15. [he’s said that he has arranged for her to have an apartment, to have a car, and money.] “I have to go now, but I want you to understand. I heard everything you said. This is all I’m capable of right now. It’s a very big step for me.”
16. “People’s reactions to opera the first time they see it is very dramatic; they either love it or they hate it. If they love it, they will always love it. If they don’t, they may learn to appreciate it, but it will never become part of their soul.”
17. “What makes you think I’m a lawyer?”
18. “Look, I’ll tell ya what. I’ll be back. We’ll do broccoli tomorrow.”
19. “Three thousand for six days. And, Vivian, I will let you go.”
20. “Impossible relationships. My special gift is impossible relationships.”
Memorable Pretty Woman quotes from Kit and the other characters
21. “Oh, God, The Pressure Of A Name… I Got It. Cindaf***in’rella.”
22. “Welcome to Hollywood! What’s your dream?” Random man
23. “It must be difficult to let go of something so beautiful.” Barney
24. [at the Regent Beverly Wilshire, Kit wanted to see Vivian, but Kit got detained at the front desk; Barney talks into Hotel phone] “It’s Barnard Thompson here, Miss Vivian. Could you come down to the front desk? There’s someone here who wants to speak to you. She says her name is Miss De Luca.”
25. [Barney hands her the phone; Kit says into Hotel phone] “Yo, Viv, babe. Would you come down here? The sphincter police won’t let me through.” Kit
26. [notices elderly couple staring at her] “Fifty bucks, Grandpa. For 75, the wife can watch.” Kit
27. “Everybody comes here; this is Hollywood, land of dreams. Some dreams come true, some don’t; but keep on dreamin’ — this is Hollywood. Always time to dream, so keep on dreamin’.”
28. “Take care of you.”
29. “You clean up real nice. You sure don’t fit in down on the Boulevard lookin’ like you do, not that you ever did.”
30. “You’re right. We say who; we say when; we say how much.”
Iconic conversations from Pretty Woman
31. Vivian: People put you down enough, you start to believe it.
Edward Lewis: I think you are a very bright, very special woman.
Vivian: The bad stuff is easier to believe. You ever notice that?
32. Shop assistant: Hello, can I help you?
Vivian: I was in here yesterday, you wouldn’t wait on me.
Shop assistant: Oh.
33. Vivian: You people work on commission, right?
Shop assistant: Yeah.
Vivian: Big mistake. Big. Huge. I have to go shopping now.
34. [after negotiating three thousand dollars] Vivian: I would have stayed for two thousand.
Edward Lewis: I would have paid four.
35. Edward Lewis: You can’t charge me for directions!
Vivian: I can do anything I want to baby, I ain’t lost.
36. Vivian: You’re late.
Edward Lewis: You’re stunning.
Vivian: You’re forgiven.
37. Vivian: [sardonic] I know. It’s a really good offer for a girl like me.
Edward Lewis: I’ve never treated you like a prostitute. [he walks away]
Vivian: [softly, he doesn’t hear] You just did.
38. Edward Lewis: I told you not to pick up the phone.
Vivian: Then stop calling me.
39. Vivian: Can I call you Eddie?
Edward Lewis: Not if you expect me to answer.
40. Vivian: [Sitting at a table, naked and only wearing a tie] How was your day dear?
Edward Lewis: Nice tie!
Vivian: I got it for you.
Emotional Pretty Woman quotes
41. When I was a little girl, my mama used to lock me in the attic when I was bad, which was pretty often. And I would- I would pretend I was a princess… trapped in a tower by a wicked queen.
42. And then suddenly this knight… on a white horse with these colors flying would come charging up and draw his sword. And I would wave. And he would climb up the tower and rescue me. But never in all the time… that I had this dream did the knight say to me, “Come on, baby, I’ll put you up in a great condo.
43. Vivian: What would it be like?
Edward Lewis: It would get you off of the street.
Vivian: That’s just geography.
44. Vivian: Are you sure you want me to stay the night? I mean, I could just pop ya real good
and get outta here.
Edward Lewis: No, I’d really like you to stay. I don’t want to be alone tonight.
45. I am not a trick. This is a trick. Darryl! Left pocket. Isn’t that incredible? And he does have a permit. Thank you, gentlemen. – Don’t you ever go near her again. Edward
46. I am very angry with my father. Edward
47. “I want the fairy tale.”
48. “I don’t know, you left and suddenly I’m in the middle of The West Side Story.”
Which of these Pretty Woman quotes is your favorite?
The movie depicts so much growth between these two characters. You have Edward, who is a shrewd man who is only focused on money, and does not care about people. His time with Vivian reminds him that the companies he dismantles for money belong to real people with life stories and feelings.
Meanwhile, Vivian’s time with Edward helps her understand that she deserves more than she has allowed herself to have. It reminds her of her dreams and gives her the courage to stop accepting less than she is worth.
The moment these two part ways is one of the saddest moments in movie history! It is a necessary moment though for their development and makes the “fairy tale” ending so perfect. The chemistry between Gere and Roberts didn’t hurt the film any either! In fact, it was so good the pair reunited for a new movie, Runaway Bride, nearly a decade later.
Are you a fan of Pretty Woman? Which of these Pretty Woman quotes and sayings is your favorite? Let us know in the comment section below!
December 9, 2021 7:00 AM EST