Fans of disco, or dance in general, will love these disco quotes!
Disco emerged in the 1970s as a dance music genre and became a subculture in urban life.
Originally, disco started as a mixture of music popular with the LGBTQ crowd, Italian Americans, Black Americans, and Hispanic Americans.
You might also enjoy these related articles:
Much of the beginning of disco was a form of counterculture to the dominance of rock music in the 1960s.
By the late 1970s, most cities had disco clubs, and the disco club scene was thriving.
Some of the most well-known artists that contributed to disco are:
- Bee Gees
- KC and the Sunshine Band
- Earth Wind & Fire
- Chaka Khan
- Village People
The talented musicians and the record producers played an important role in developing the disco genre.
Take a few minutes to read these disco quotes to learn more about disco.
Groovy Disco Quotes
Enjoy these groovy disco quotes!
1. “I am a disco king.” — Bappi Lahiri
2. “Disco is just jitterbug.” — Fred Astaire
3. “I was a very good disco dancer.” — David H. Koch
4. “Disco is just pop music you can dance to.” — Sheena Easton
5. “People are embarrassed by disco, but I love it.” — Ty Segall
6. “I love to dance in the disco, but that’s about it.” — Heather Mills
7. “Disco is music for dancing, and people will always want to dance.” — Giorgio Moroder
8. “The disco sound, you must see, is not art or anything so serious.” — Giorgio Moroder
9. “We enjoy change and freshness, and disco was only one area we’ve delved into.” — Barry Gibb
10. “When I went to high school, in the late 1970s, disco was in full swing, and anyone who was into it dressed the part. I know I did.” — Paul Feig
Fun Disco Quotes
Here are some fun disco quotes.
11. “I like to dance disco.” — James Tupper
12. “Disco music is funk with a bow tie.” — Fred Wesley
13. “I grew up in the seventies, and disco was big.” — Ice Cube
14. “I’m from the disco era where everybody thought they were John Travolta…” — Ian Mcshane
15. “So, have you heard about the oyster who went to a disco and pulled a mussel?” — Billy Connolly
16. “And when I was growing up, I always loved funk music or even – dare I say it – disco.” — Tommy Lee
17. “Disco will never be over. It will always live in our minds and hearts.” — ‘The Last Days Of Disco’ Matt Keesler
18. “Call it what you will, nothing will change the fact that certain kinds of music will make you want to celebrate or party.” — Grace Jones
19. “I was thinking the other day that there will never be another form of music that everybody has to respond to – like disco.” — Daniel Clowes
20. “The 1970s was probably the most exciting decade to be a teenager, from discovering Little Richard at the end of the 1960s to glam rock to punk rock to electro music.” — Boy George
Disco Quotes from People Who Don’t Like Disco
These disco quotes are for people who aren’t fans of disco.
21. “I don’t do disco.” — Wilson Pickett
22. “I’m not a big disco guy.” — Jon Bon Jovi
23. “I wouldn’t be caught dead in a disco.” — Ron Mael
24. “I never really did any disco dancing.” — Barry Gibb
25. “I’ve never been to a disco in my life.” — Abhinav Bindra
26. “I never went to any disco. I didn’t know anything about dance.” — Jeetendra
27. “I like pop, I like soul, I like rock, but I never liked disco!” — Everclear, “AM Radio”
28. “When punk really started to happen, it was a reaction against the disco craze of the time.” — Anna Sui
29. “I didn’t really like the ’80s, to be honest with you. There was some good music that came out, but it went a bit disco for me.” — Paul Rodgers
30. “I have this overriding principle that streetwear could end up like disco: that it will be perceived well at the time but doesn’t age well at all.” — Virgil Abloh
Disco Quotes About Disco Music
Check out these disco quotes about disco music.
31. “Disco is the first technology music.” — will.i.am
32. “I’m a sucker for sad disco pop.” — Sophie Ellis-Bextor
33. “Disco is funky when you take one record at a time.” — George Clinton
34. “There’s nothing wrong with wanting to be in a disco band.” — Stephen Morris
35. “I loved disco music, and I still count Donna Summer as one of my favorites of all time.” — Steve Wilson
36. “In pop or rock, you can make a fast song or a slow one, but in disco, there is really just the one rhythm.” — Giorgio Moroder
37. “Disco deserved a better name, a beautiful name, because it was a beautiful art form. It made the consumer beautiful.” — Barry White
38. “In both pop and disco, the meaning of the lyrics is not too important. I have nothing I feel I particularly want to say.” — Giorgio Moroder
39. “Electro is today’s disco – making electronic music not for the sake of selling it but for sharing it and touring around the world D.J.-ing.” — will.i.am
40. “During the time that my recording career seemed to be in a slump, a music called disco came on the scene and literally took over radio stations as well as having radio stations created to play it, which sort of negated my music as well as that of some of my peers.” — Dionne Warwick
More Disco Quotes
Here are some more disco quotes that will give you disco fever!
41. “I grew up on rap and hip-hop and fell into dance music.” — Nomi Ruiz
42. “I didn’t live in the world of disco or the world of the Eagles.” — George Thorogood
43. “My folks have played everything from rock, disco, pop, funk, and blues.” — Haley Reinhart
44. “Dance music is dance music. It’s been around since disco – and way before disco.” — will.i.am
45. “A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment.” — Frank Zappa
46. “I like almost everything, even country twang, disco, bluegrass and accordions.” — Pat Mastelotto
47. “Well, it’ll always be disco/electro-pop. That’s what I first wanted to do when I started out as a musician in 1977.” — Pete Burns
48. “When I was working with David Cassidy at the Rio, I made an album of updated versions of some 1970s disco tunes. I had a blast.” — Sheena Easton
49. “For me, there’s the certain focus points that come out, which could reference a song or a pop disco, or something really abstract.” — Sue Tompkins
50. “New wave disco was coming to the fore then, and we were at a different point entirely. I like to listen to dance music, but I don’t think I’m primarily a dance music writer.” — Stan Ridgway
Characteristics of Disco Music
Most disco music has a four-on-the-floor beat by a bass drum and layers of reverberated vocals, with horns, electric pianos, and rhythm guitars.
As opposed to the heavy lead guitar associated with rock music, disco music is more of an orchestral sound that relies on strings and horns.
Please share these disco quotes with your family and friends and tell us your favorite in the comment section below.