When you spend decades working towards a goal, sometimes things feel much differently once you achieve them.
This is certainly true for many people once they retire.
Working is good for the mind and the spirit, but so is inner peace and relaxation after decades spent working hard.
Check out these retirement quotes to help you or someone you know to sit back and enjoy their retirement—because they deserve it!
Meant to be a reward for years of hard work, there are many things to look forward to in retirement.
Once you retire, you gain complete control over your time, experience more freedom to travel, can pursue new hobbies, and get the chance to experience a vibrant social life.
Besides, when you’re part of the busy working world, it can be hard to build healthy habits and reach your wellness goals.
But in retirement, you get more time to engage in exercise activities such as golfing, walking or even dancing.
Retirement is a well-deserved reward after many years working hard in your career.
No matter how you’ve planned for this time of your life, be sure to live a healthy, enjoyable and fulfilling life.
Below is our collection of inspirational, wise, and happy retirement quotes, retirement sayings, and retirement proverbs, collected from a variety of sources over the years.
If you enjoy this article, check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily motivation.
If you want more motivational quotes, check out our motivational quotes category page.
Retirement Quotes to Inspire Peace & Relaxation
1. There is a whole new kind of life ahead, full of experiences just waiting to happen. Some call it “retirement.” I call it “bliss.” – Betty Sullivan
You will also enjoy our article on peace quotes.
2. “Stay young at heart, kind in spirit, and enjoy retirement living.” – Danielle Duckery
3. “Retirement’s the most wonderful thing. I get to enjoy all the things I never stopped to notice on the way up. After an extraordinary life, it’s time to enjoy my retirement.” – Patrick Macnee
4. “Retirement, a time to enjoy all the things you never had time to do when you worked.” – Catherine Pulsifer
5. “Retirement is not a life without purpose; it is the on-going purpose that provides meaningfulless.” – Robert Rivers
6. “Retirement is not about ‘finding’ ourselves – or losing ourselves in electronic distractions – but about creating a new life for ourselves and those around us.” – Rick Steiner
7. “Retirement means doing whatever I want to do. It means choice.” — Dianne Nahirny
8. I’m not just retiring from the company; I’m also retiring from my stress, my commute, my alarm clock, and my iron. — Hartman Jule
9. “Retirement life is different because there is no set routine. You are able to let the day unfold as it should. Enjoy, be happy and live each day.” – Suzanne Steel
10. “Retirement is a blank sheet of paper. It is a chance to redesign your life into something new and different.” – Patrick Foley
You might also like these retirement wishes quotes for a memorable farewell.
Retirement quotes will inspire you to rest and unwind
11. “For many, retirement is a time for personal growth, which becomes the path to greater personal freedom.” – Robert Delamontagne
12. “Retire from work, but not from life.” – M. K. Soni
13. “A thriving “New Beginning” can be and should be a time for amazing engagement, growth, connections, contributions and increased possibilities.” – Lee M. Brower
14. “With retirement, however, comes a great chunk of free time.” – Steven D. Price
15. “We work all our lives so we can retire – so we can do what we want with our time – and the way we define or spend our time defines who we are and what we value.” – Bruce Linton
16. “You can’t retire from being great.” — Unknown
17. “As in all successful ventures, the foundation of a good retirement is planning.” – Earl Nightingale
18. “Retirement: That’s when you return from work one day and say, “Hi, Honey, I’m home — forever.” – Gene Perret
19. “Retirement may be an ending, a closing, but it is also a new beginning.” – Catherine Pulsifer
20. “Retirement is like a long vacation in Las Vegas. The goal is to enjoy it the fullest, but not so fully that you run out of money.” — Jonathan Clements
You will also enjoy our article on rest in peace quotes.
Retirement quotes that will inspire you to enjoy yourself
21. “Don’t act your age in retirement. Act like the inner young person you have always been.” – J. A. West
22. “Retiring just so you can do nothing is no way to live life and so from now on, the word retirement will be replaced with the word, graduation.” – Mike Finley
23. “Sit back and relax and do the things you never got a chance to do.” – Julie Hebert
24. “It can take as long as three years to completely adjust to your retirement. Be patient and know that a new life is awakening within you.” – Mark Evan Chimsky
25. “Retirement: That’s when you return from work one day and say, “Hi, Honey, I’m home — forever.” – Gene Perret
26. “I’m retired – goodbye tension!” – Unknown
27. “Age is only a number, a cipher for the records. A man can’t retire his experience. He must use it. Experience achieves more with less energy and time.” – Bernard Baruch
28. “A retired husband is often a wife’s full-time job.” — Ella Harris
29. “I found out retirement means playing golf, or I don’t know what the hell it means. But to me, retirement means doing what you have fun doing.” — Dick Van Dyke
30. “I enjoy waking up and not having to go to work. So I do it three or four times a day.” — Gene Perret
You will also enjoy our article on Buddha quotes.
Beautiful retirement quotes for every retiree
31. “May your hours of reminiscence be filled with days of good cheer and weeks of pleasant memories.” – Author Unknown
32. “Don’t think of retiring from the world until the world will be sorry that you retire.” – Samuel Johnson
33. “Retirement itself is the best gift. No gold watch could ever top it.” – Abigail Charleson
34. “The first step to a thriving unretirement is to begin by asking yourself what it is you want to be doing.” – Chris Farrell
35. “Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
36. “It won’t be the same around here without you. For you brightened every day. You will be missed but we wish you lots of happiness.” – Julie Hebert
37. “Working people have a lot of bad habits, but the worst of these is work.” – Clarence Darrow
38. “Fear no more the heat o the sun, nor the furious winter’s rages. Thou thy worldly task hast done, home art gone and taken thy wages.” – William Shakespeare
39. “The key to retirement is to find joy in the little things.” – Susan Miller
40. “As you embark on the exciting journey into retirement, you will experience a transition that will be both thrilling and terrifying.” – Olivia Greenwell
Other inspirational retirement quotes
41. “You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.” – C.S. Lewis
42. “Don’t simply retire from something; have something to retire to.” – Harry Emerson Fosdick
43. “A lot of our friends complain about their retirement. We tell ’em to get a life.” — Larry Laser
44. “What does retirement mean now that there are so many opportunities for learning, for caring, for serving? We can redefine aging.” – Rachel Cowan
45. “The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off.” – Abe Lemons
46. “There are so many other interesting ways to spend your time. I feel like early retirement is a gift, but it’s such an incredible gift. It’s a gift I need to use.” – Martha Felt-Bardon
47. “To some of us, retirement gives us time to follow our dreams.” – Shirley Mitchell
48. “Best wishes on your retirement. Enjoy a rest that’s overdue. Take pleasure in the finer things that are awaiting you.” – Judith Wibberley
49. “My formula for a treasured retirement is simple: plan, design, enjoy.” – Julia Valentine
50. “Retirement is one of those consequential changes in life, it offers us a unique opportunity to start over, to move beyond the past and to once again live forward.” – Rick Steiner
More retirement quotes and sayings
51. “I see retirement as just another of these reinventions, another chance to do new things and be a new version of myself.” – Walt Mossberg
52. “I think that retirement is the first step towards the grave.” – Hugh Hefner
53. “Retirement has been wonderful.” – Michelle McCool
54. “Your retirement identity is of a successful person who creatively and efficiently manages your money and lifestyle to adapt to the ever-changing economic and personal conditions of our time.” – Lee Johnson
55. “To enjoy a long, comfortable retirement, save more today.” – Suze Orman
56. “For me, being in retirement, it was just having the opportunity to watch other stuff and do different things.” – Shawn Michaels
57. “In retirement, I have enjoyed it… and everyone misses the game, there’s no question, you miss lots of different parts of it.” – Mike Fisher
58. “For it is in your power to retire into yourself whenever you choose.” – Marcus Aurelius
59. “You might be on the back nine of life, but it’s good to finish strong.” – Morton Shaevitz
60. “Austerity should not be a death sentence. Every person should be able to retire with the benefits they’ve earned and the dignity they deserve.” – Fuad Alakbarov
Retirement Quotes To Inspire New Beginnings
61. “Retirement is the last opportunity for individuals to reinvent themselves, let go of the past, and find peace and happiness within.” — Ernie J Zelinski
62. “Retirement: a time to become much more than you have ever been.” — Ernie J Zelinski
63. “Retirement, a time to do what you want to do, when you want to do it, where you want to do it, and how you want to do it.” — Catherine Pulsifer
64. “Retirement is when you switch bosses from the one who hired you to the one who married you.” — Gene Perret
65. “Happy days are here at last, the days of nine to five are passed, you’ve worked your life and paid your dues, now you can do just what you choose!” — Anon
66. “Rest is not idleness, and to lie sometimes on the grass under trees on a summer’s day, listening to the murmur of the water, or watching the clouds float across the sky, is by no means a waste of time.” — J. Lubbock
67. “Often when you think you’re at the end of something, you’re at the beginning of something else.” — Fred Rogers
68. “You get old faster when you think about retirement.” — Toba Beta
69. “The goal of retirement is to live off your assets-not on them” ― Frank Eberhart
70. “Retirement sounds appropriate when you are ageing, fact is you aged because you have been thinking of retirement.” ― Amit Kalantri
Retirement Quotes For Some Fun During the Golden Years
71. “Retirement is wonderful. It’s doing nothing without worrying about getting caught at it.”
– Gene Perret
72. “For retirement brings repose, and repose allows a kindly judgment of all things.” – John Sharp Williams
73. “I always likened retirement to falling off a cliff, and then you have to kind of brush yourself off.” – Steve Young
74. “When a man retires and time is no longer a matter of urgent importance, his colleagues generally present him with a watch.” – R.C. Sherriff
75. “I never had the sense that there was an end: that there was a retirement or that there was a jackpot.” – Leonard Cohen
76. “I need to retire from retirement.” – Sandra Day O’Connor
77. “Sometimes it’s hard to tell if retirement is a reward for a lifetime of hard work or a punishment.” – Terri Guillemets
78. “In retirement, I look for days off from my days off.” – Mason Cooley
79. “The question isn’t at what age I want to retire, it’s at what income.” – George Foreman
80. “People may live as much retired from the world as they like, but sooner or later they find themselves debtor or creditor to someone.” – Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
Retirement Quotes To Relax At Home
81. “I’m happy in retirement.” ― Greg Rusedski
82. “For now I’m building up stories for the retirement home!” ― Carol Vorderman
83. “Retirement is having nothing to do and someone always keeping you from it.” ― Robert Breault
84. “I like to tell people that I finally found something I’m really good at, and that’s retirement.” ― Hank Greenwald
85. “I have to think about the possible ramifications of an early retirement.” ― Ehud Olmert
86. “Younger workers should have more freedom to build their retirement nest egg.” ― Gresham Barrett
87. “You have to pick what you’re going to be worried about. Markets are volatile, but retirement is certain.” ― Nick Murray
88. “There are days in retirement that are the waking equivalent of a dreamless sleep, if you know what I mean.” ― Robert Breault
89. “God has a plan for your retirement.” ― Billy Graham
90. “Art is one of the few careers without a mandatory retirement age.” ― Julia Cameron
Retirement Quotes To Celebrate Years of Hardwork
91. “I’m really in retirement. My career is over. I’m just playing now and having a great time. I like to keep busy, and I’m doing what’s fun for me.” ― Dick Van Dyke
92. “Once I retire, I’m retiring. I’m done.” ― Michael Phelps
93. “The rolling contract was designed to specifically take away some of that retirement talk and retirement issue.” ― David Gill
94. “Retirement accords with the tone of my mind; I will not descend to a world I despise.” ― Lord Byron
95. “What do gardeners do when they retire?” ― Bob Monkhouse
96. “I’ve enjoyed my retirement.” ― Darrell Royal
97. “There’s no retirement for an artist,its your way of living so theres no end to it.” ― Bono
98. “Retire? I’m going to stay in show business until I’m the only one left.” ― George Burns
99. “I’m always announcing my retirement. I’m still not retired.” ― Dick Van Dyke
100. “Money isn’t everything, but it is when you start thinking about putting money away for your retirement days.” ― Andre Leon Talley
Did you enjoy these retirement quotes?
Retirement is an important milestone meant to be a reward for years of hard work.
It’s a time to rest and unwind and pursue the things that you really want to do.
After spending many years planning, saving and working hard in your career, now is the time to enjoy yourself and experience what life has to offer outside of your job.
Hopefully, the quotes above will help you rest, unwind, and enjoy your deserved reward.
If you liked these retirement quotes, you will also enjoy our empty nest quotes.
Which of these retirement quotes is your favorite?
Do you have any other inspirational quotes to add?
Let us know in the comment section below.
Also, don’t forget to share with your friends and followers.