These classic Dumbledore quotes embed the wisdom, humor, compassion, and bravery of Harry’s formidable yet kindhearted mentor, including the man’s fondness for socks, of course.
Dumbledore wants socks for Christmas, Muggles!
The most revered wizard in Hogwarts, Albus Dumbledore has earned the love and respect of Harry Potter fans all over the world ever since author J.K. Rowling introduced the beloved character in 1997 in the first novel of her legendary Harry Potter series.
Even if you’re not a Harry Potter fan, Professor Dumbledore will teach you poignant life lessons and moral values focused on integrity, humility, vigor, and the commitment to fight for what is right and true no matter what.
Dumbledore quotes from one of the most beloved characters from the Harry Potter series
1. “Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.” – Dumbledore
2. “Do not pity the dead, Harry, pity the living. And above all, those who live without love.” – Dumbledore
3. “For in dreams we enter a world that is entirely our own. Let them swim in the deepest ocean or glide over the highest cloud.” – Dumbledore
4. “Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.” – Dumbledore
5. “Help will always be given at Hogwarts to those who ask for it.” – Dumbledore
6. “We cannot protect the young from harm. Pain must and will come.” – Dumbledore
7. “If the time should come when you have to make a choice between what is right, and what is easy, remember what happened to a boy who was good and kind and brave.” – Dumbledore
8. “It is important to fight and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then can evil be kept at bay though never quite eradicated.” – Dumbledore
9. “It is my belief that the truth is generally preferable to lies.” – Dumbledore
10. “It was your heart that saved you.” – Dumbledore
Memorable Dumbledore quotes
11. “It’s the unknown we fear when we look upon death and darkness, nothing more.” – Dumbledore
12. “Of course, it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” – Dumbledore
13. “People find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right.” – Dumbledore
14. “Perhaps those who are best suited to power are those who have never sought it.” – Dumbledore
15. “The best of us sometimes eat our words.” – Dumbledore
16. “This pain is part of being human . . . the fact that you can feel pain like this is your greatest strength.” – Dumbledore
17. “To have been loved so deeply, even though the person who loved us is gone, will give us some protection forever.” – Dumbledore
18. “To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.” – Dumbledore
19. “We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided.” – Dumbledore
20. “We must try not to sink beneath our anguish . . . but battle on.” – Dumbledore
Also read these inspirational Nacho Libre quotes that observe life.
Classic Dumbledore quotes
21. “We should exercise caution with our curiosity.” – Dumbledore
22. “Where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.” – Dumbledore
23. “While we may come from different places and speak in different tongues, our hearts beat as one.” – Dumbledore
24. “Words are, in my not-so-humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic. Capable of both inflicting injury and remedying it.” – Dumbledore
25. “You care so much you feel as though you will bleed to death with the pain of it.” – Dumbledore
26. “You think the dead we loved truly ever leave us?” – Dumbledore
27. “Youth cannot know how age thinks and feels, but old men are guilty if they forget what it is to be young.” – Dumbledore
28. “Age is foolish and forgetful when it underestimates youth.” – Dumbledore
29. “Ah, music. A magic beyond all we do here!” – Dumbledore
30. “And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.” – Dumbledore
Wise Dumbledore quotes
31. “Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open.” – Dumbledore
32. “Don’t count your owls before they are delivered.” – Dumbledore
33. “Have you any idea how much tyrants fear the people they oppress? All of them realize that, one day, amongst their many victims, there is sure to be one that rises against them and strikes back!” – Dumbledore
34. “I am not worried, Harry. I am with you.” – Dumbledore
35. “I sometimes find, and I am sure you know the feeling, that I simply have too many thoughts and memories crammed into my mind.” – Dumbledore
36. “It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.” – Dumbledore
37. “It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” – Dumbledore
38. “It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends.” – Dumbledore
39. “It’s lucky it’s dark. I haven’t blushed so much since Madam Pomfrey told me she liked my new earmuffs.” – Dumbledore
40. “Killing is not so easy as the innocent believe.” – Dumbledore
Other memorable Dumbledore quotes
41. “Numbing the pain for a while will make it worse when you finally feel it.” – Dumbledore
42. “One can never have enough socks. Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn’t get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.” – Dumbledore
43. “Perhaps you have been looking in the wrong places.” – Dumbledore
44. “The consequences of our actions are always so complicated, so diverse, that predicting the future is a very difficult business indeed.” – Dumbledore
45. “The truth. It is a beautiful and terrible thing, and should therefore be treated with caution.” – Dumbledore
46. “Welcome to a new year at Hogwarts! Before we begin our banquet, I would like to say a few words. And here they are: Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!” – Dumbledore
47. “What happened down in the dungeons between you and Professor Quirrell is a complete secret, so, naturally the whole school knows.” – Dumbledore
48. “You fail to recognize that it matters not what someone is born, but what they grow to be!” – Dumbledore
49. “Humans do have a knack of choosing precisely those things that are worst for them.” – Dumbledore
50. “I have no power to make other men see the truth.” – Dumbledore
You might also like these Benjamin Button quotes about living life to the full
What did you learn from these Dumbledore quotes
Dumbledore quotes are popular among Harry Potter fans across the world, now-classic references to celebrate the famous fictional character’s profound influence on millions of believers touched and empowered by his wisdom and leadership.
In the Harry Potter series, Dumbledore is depicted as stern, focused and wise yet he doesn’t let his knowledge and status get in the way of humor. He is also inclusive, fair and sympathetic, perfect character traits of a great leader and father that every Harry Potter fan can learn from and aspire to be.
If you’re a Dumbledore fan, raise your hand if once in your life you’ve secretly wished you’ll get a Muggle invitation to Hogwarts to ride that magical train and come face to face with the legendary wizard even He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named is afraid of.
Did you enjoy these Dumbledore quotes and lines? Do you have any other favorite quotes to add? Let us know in the comment section below.
January 11, 2020 7:00 AM EST