Are you interested in learning more about entitlement?
Check out our notable quotes about entitlement.
What is entitlement?
American author Michael Palmer observed, “The only entitlement guaranteed should be the fruits of one’s own labor.”
Entitlement is the belief that one inherently deserves privileges or special treatment; it can manifest in various forms.
A person can develop an entitlement mentality without even knowing it.
For example, a parent can instill a sense of entitlement in their children without realizing it.
A parent may say, “I do not wish for my child to experience the difficulties I did as a child.”
As a result, they remove obstacles from their children’s lives.
By default, the child does not get opportunities to develop necessary skills such as managing disappointment, coping with loss, problem-solving, or dealing with pain.
Aside from lacking essential life skills, they can grow into adults who believe they are entitled to specific amenities in life.
If you enjoy this article, check out our collection of complaining quotes for more gratitude.
Insightful Entitlement Quotes
1. “Entitlement is lethal.” – Liev Schreiber
2. “Grace destroys entitlement.” – Justin Buzzard
3. “Thankfulness eradicated entitlement.” – Perry Noble
4. “Entitlement and privilege corrupt.” – James Stockdale
5. “I am afraid of privilege, of ease, of entitlement.” – Tan Le
6. “Everyone is entitled to his own nostalgia.” – James Wolcott
7. “Entitlement is the opposite of enchantment.” – Guy Kawasaki
8. “You can’t be grateful for what you feel entitled to.” – Chris Brown
9. “Don’t feel entitled to anything you didn’t sweat and struggle for.” – Marian Wright Edelman
10. “Gratitude begins where my sense of entitlement ends.” – Steven Furtick
Check out our collection of Karen quotes if you enjoy this article.
Entitlement Quotes To Inspire and Teach
11. “Successful people have a sense of gratitude. Unsuccessful people have a sense of entitlement.” – Steve Aitchison
12. “Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.” – Daniel Patrick Moynihan
13. “The only entitlement guaranteed should be the fruits of one’s own labor.” – Michael Palmer
14. “The most capricious modern entitlement is not just Social Security but to self-esteem.” – George F. Will
15. “No one asked me to be an actor, so no one owed me. There was no entitlement.” – James Earl Jones
16. “It is true that, when an entitlement begins to be enjoyed by people, they like to keep it.” – Jon Kyl
17. “When there’s expectation, without appreciation, you get entitled and ingratitude.” – Cheri Fogarty
18. “An attitude of entitlement is inversely related to one of gratitude.” – Pete Wilson
19. “Entitlement and gratitude cannot occupy the same space within.” – Christina Dawson
20. “Entitlement is the biggest enemy to our society.” – Jason Hartman
Entitlement Quotes About Life
21. “Thankfulness is difficult to express when one starts with an attitude of entitlement.” – Chris Tiegreen
22. “Don’t go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.” – Mark Twain
23. “Feeling entitled is the opposite of feeling grateful. Gratitude opens the heart; entitlement closes it.” – Paul Gibbons
24. “Service and gratitude will fuel your relationship; entitlement and expectation will poison you.” – Dr. Steve Maraboli
25. “People who take more than their share usually feel an inflated sense of entitlement.” – Jeanne Phillips
26. “I hate the sense of entitlement or the sense of business crawling into playing music.” – Joshua Homme
27. “Nothing guarantees more the erosion of character than getting something for nothing.” – Dennis Prager
28. “Male privilege and entitlement are dying a very painful death; no one gives up power without a struggle.” – Gloria Allred
29. “When a parent shows up with an attitude of entitlement, understand that under it is a boatload of anxiety.” – Robert Evans
30. “With sports, there is no entitlement on the field. It’s about numbers. It’s about results. It’s about outcomes.” – Maynard Webb
Entitlement Quotes That Will Make Your Day
31. “Every righteous man or woman is entitled to revelation concerning his own affairs.” – Gordon B. Hinckley
32. “Entitlement? How can you be entitled to someone else’s money?” – John Stossel
33. “Everybody deserves love, but nobody is entitled to it.” – Katerina Stoykova Klemer
34. “What separates privilege from entitlement is gratitude.” – Brene Brown
35. “Success is not an entitlement. It has to be earned.” – Howard Schultz
36. “There is no entitlement. Love is either equal or a tragedy.” – Michael Robotham
37. “The bigger the sense of entitlement, the smaller the sense of gratitude.” – John Ortberg
38. “People are totally entitled to their own opinion. But they are not entitled to their own facts.” – Seth Godin
39. “Teach your children gratefulness. Do all you can to deliver them from our culture’s poisonous entitlement mentality.” – Randy Alcorn
40. “You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.” – Harlan Ellison
Entitlement Attitude Quotes
41. “Work-life balance is not an entitlement or benefit. Your company cannot give it to you. You have to create it for yourself.” – Matthew Kelly
42. “Good results is not an entitlement. It has to be earned and earned each individual working day via the lens of humility.” – Howard Schultz
43. “Beware: It is a quick transition from a nourishing from a sense of gratitude to a poisonous sense of entitlement.” – Steve Maraboli
44. “A sense of entitlement is a cancerous thought process that is void of gratitude and can be deadly to our relationships.” – Steve Maraboli
45. “People who are given whatever they want soon develop a sense of entitlement and rapidly lose their sense of proportion.” – Sarah Churchwell
46. “I do believe that I deserve what I have. I don’t think I’m entitled to it. That’s a big difference.” – Adam Levine
47. “A lot of people think, particularly the people who have benefited, that they’re entitled to the fruits of their abilities, their labor.” – Paul Solman
48. “Are you entitled to the fruits of your own labor, or does government have some presumptive right to spend and spend and spend?” – Ronald Reagan
49. “We who are engaged in the sacred cause of education are entitled to look upon all parents as having given hostages to our cause.” – Horace Mann
50. “The divided world of Aspen, where locals with a sense of entitlement were pitted against developers with a sense of condominiums.” – Steve Martin
What Did You Learn From These Entitlement Quotes?
American pastor Steven Furtick suggests, “Gratitude begins where my sense of entitlement ends.”
Is gratitude the entitlement killer?
It seems like we interact with people with a sense of entitlement daily.
These individuals believe the universe owes them something, and they appear everywhere.
Maybe when you were going to park, someone cut in front of you and took the spot.
Perhaps someone else demands to be served at a busy restaurant without a reservation.
People with an entitlement mentality believe the rules of social etiquette do not apply to them.
Entitlement is a form of narcissism.
Doctors and researchers link entitlement to social factors.
Factors that are supposed to impact our sense of entitlement are the environment we grow up in, how our parents treat us, whether or not adults solve problems for us, and how authority figures treat us.
Do you have a favorite quote about entitlement?
Let us know below.