Life is better with these simplicity quotes.
What is the meaning of life? I feel like humans have been asking this question and searching for the answer since the beginning of the human race.
As complicated beings, capable of complex thought processes, we tend to think the answer must be some detailed psychological, metaphysical, or intensely spiritual response. Maybe the meaning of life doesn’t really require as much introspection as we think.
It’s possible that the answer is far simpler. It could be that the answer itself is simplicity: the simple beauty found in nature, the simple kindness of helping one another, or simply the act of wondering at the world around us.
Here are some simplicity quotes to remember if you are currently trying to over complicate your life!
For more inspiration, also check out our list of imperfection quotes about embracing your flaws.
Simplicity quotes to make your life better
1. “One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple.” Jack Kerouac, The Dharma Bums
2. “Like all magnificent things, it’s very simple.” – Natalie Babbitt, Tuck Everlasting
3. “Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.” – Confucius
4. “Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” Clare Boothe Luce
5. “Living simply makes loving simple.” – Bell Hooks
6. “To say more while saying less is the secret of being simple.” – Dejan Stojanovic
7. “The greatest ideas are the simplest.” – William Golding, Lord of the Flies
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of Lord of the Flies quotes that will remind you of why we need structure and rules.
8. “Or, rather, let us be more simple and less vain.” – Rousseau Jean-Jacques
9. “It takes a long time to learn how to do something simple.” – Marty Rubin
10. “Nothing is more simple than greatness; indeed, to be simple is to be great.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
11. “Wise is the one who learns to dumb it down.” – Curtis Tyrone Jones
12. “I envy the one simply walking down the road.” – Marty Rubin
Simplicity quotes on nature’s solace
13. “Nature is pleased with simplicity. And nature is no dummy.” – Isaac Newton
14. “Every morning was a cheerful invitation to make my life of equal simplicity, and I may say innocence, with Nature herself.” – Henry David Thoreau
15. “If you will stay close to nature, to its simplicity, to the small things hardly noticeable, those things can unexpectedly become great and immeasurable.” – Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet
16. “Natural beauty breezes within the simplicity that’s the purity, and the essence of natural beauty too.” – Ehsan Sehgal
17. “Solace is in simplicity.” – Abhijit Naskar
18. “Simplicity is nature’s first step and the last of art.” – Philip James Bailey
19. “Nature loves simplicity and unity.” – Johannes Kepler
20. “Simplicity is the nature of great souls.” – Papa Ramadas
You might also like these incredible perception quotes about truth and reality.
Simplicity quotes about life
21. “As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.” – Henry David Thoreau
22. “Our life is frittered away by detail. Simplify, simplify.” – Henry David Thoreau, Walden and Other Writings
23. “The greatest step towards a life of simplicity is to learn to let go.” – Steve Maraboli, Life, the Truth, and Being Free
24. “The first step in crafting the life you want is to get rid of everything you don’t.” – Joshua Becker
25. “It is what it is, no more, no less, it simply is. Embrace simplicity, life is easier that way.” – Hazel Butterworth
26. “Life is simple. You just have to stop trying to figure it out.” – Marty Rubin
27. “Complex things are easy to do. Simplicity’s the real challenge.” – Robert James Waller, The Bridges of Madison County
28. “Life only puzzles us because we’re not simple enough to understand it.” – Marty Rubin
29. “Treasures in life are often the simplicity of quiet moments with loved ones, that pass too quickly.” – ALLENE VANOIRSCHOT, Daddy’s Little Girl
30. “The simplest things are overlooked. And yet, it is the simplest things that are the most essential.” – Thomas Lloyd Qualls, Painted Oxen
Simplicity quotes about happiness and truth
31. “Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.” – E.F. Schumacher
32. “There is no greatness where there is not simplicity, goodness, and truth.” – Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
33. “Truth is ever to be found in the simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things.” – Isaac Newton
34. Lots of places to find baseline happiness in each and every day.” – Leo Babauta
35. “Simplicity is about subtracting the obvious and adding the meaningful.” – John Maeda, The Laws of Simplicity: Design, Technology, Business, Life
36. “Simplicity is ultimately a matter of focus.” – Ann Voskamp, One Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are
37. “They think I’m simpleminded because I seem to be happy. Why shouldn’t I be happy? I have everything I ever wanted and more. Maybe I am simpleminded. Maybe that’s the key: simple.” – Dolly Parton, Dolly: My Life and Other Unfinished Business
38. “When happiness is your only thought it’s easy to be happy.” – Marty Rubin
39. “Simplicity is not the opposite of wealth. It is the door to the riches you already own.” – Alan Cohen
40. “In simplicity there is truth.” – River Phoenix
Also read these wise simple quotes that will inspire you to live a simply beautiful life.
Simplicity quotes that will change the way you think
41. “It is desirable that a man live in all respects so simply and preparedly that if an enemy take the town… he can walk out the gate empty-handed and without anxiety.” – Henry David Thoreau, Walden
42. “Any darn fool can make something complex; it takes a genius to make something simple.” – Pete Seeger
43. “Take the time to observe the simple and ponder upon the seemingly insignificant. You’ll find a wealth of depth and beauty.” – Melanie Charlene
44. “We fail to see the simplicity of everything that surrounds us and search for things we cannot see.” – Rajesh, Random Cosmos
45. “Modern civilization is complicated and artificial. Simple folk live in a world of love and peace. Let no one hate another or harm another.” – Sivananda
46. “I have had to learn the simplest things last. Which made for difficulties.” – Charles Olsen
47. “A person with taste is merely one who can recognize the greatest beauty in the simplest things.” – Barbara Taylor Bradford, Her Own Rules
48. “All the problems you have are simple. What’s complicated is getting you to see simplicity.” – Meir Ezra
49. “Sometimes simplicity and elegance are indistinguishable from each other.” – Amit Kalantri, Wealth of Words
50. “The more we gave up, the more we gained.” – Courtney Ellis, Uncluttered: Free Your Space, Free Your Schedule, Free Your Soul
What did you learn from these simplicity quotes
I hope you found these simplicity quotes as inspiring as I did. These make me want to pay off all my debt, sell my house and cars, and live in a hut on the beach somewhere. Someday, maybe I will have the gumption to say no to all the things society thinks I need to have and live simply.
There was a story I heard once about a Mexican fisherman. He spends every day working hard on the water, searching for the big catch, and living on the ocean. One day, a CEO of a company comes to Mexico and goes fishing with the local man. He talks about how many hours he has had to work and things he has sacrificed to get where he is today, all so he can retire one day and move to Mexico and fish. That about sums up my idea of simplicity.
What does simplicity mean to you? Do you have any other inspirational simplicity quotes to add? Leave a comment below!