This George Washington quotes collection will help you adopt some of his leadership characteristics into your own life.
George Washington led a remarkable life. He was the first president of the United States, commander of the Continental Army, and president of the Constitutional Convention.
Born on February 22, 1732, in Westmoreland County, Virginia, Washington showed leadership signs from an early age. Although he wasn’t perfect, just like all humans, there is much to admire about him and the way he led.
Washington put his faith and his beliefs into action and truly tried to live by his own words and principles at all times. As someone who valued individual freedom, Washington treated everyone with the same respect regardless of rank.
George Washington died on December 14, 1799, in Mount Vernon, Virginia, leaving behind a legacy as one of America’s greatest leaders.
Washington was a remarkable man, great leader, and the father of our country. He had high expectations of himself and his people.
In his honor, below is our collection of inspirational, wise, and powerful George Washington quotes, collected from a variety of sources over the years.
Don’t forget to also read these great John Locke quotes for more enlightenment.
George Washington quotes celebrating America’s ideals
1. “Observe good faith and justice toward all nations. Cultivate peace and harmony with all.” – George Washington
2. “To be prepared for war is one of the most effective means of preserving peace.” – George Washington
3. “I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.” – George Washington
4. “Discipline is the soul of an army. It makes small numbers formidable; procures success to the weak, and esteem to all.” – George Washington
5. “Let your discourse with men of business be short and comprehensive.” – George Washington
6. “Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence.” – George Washington
7. “Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company.” – George Washington
8. “Let your heart feel for the afflictions and distress of everyone, and let your hand give in proportion to your purse.” – George Washington
9. “We should not look back unless it is to derive useful lessons from past errors, and for the purpose of profiting by dearly bought experience.” – George Washington
10. “Nothing can be more hurtful to the service, than the neglect of discipline; for that discipline, more than numbers, gives one army the superiority over another.” – George Washington
George Washington quotes to celebrate his accomplishments
11. “Lenience will operate with greater force, in some instances than rigor. It is therefore my first wish to have all of my conduct distinguished by it.” – George Washington
12. “Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light.” – George Washington
13. “If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.” – George Washington
14. “Let us with caution indulge the supposition that morality can be maintained without religion. Reason and experience both forbid us to expect that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principle.” – George Washington
15. “The basis of our political system is the right of the people to make and to alter their constitutions of government.” – George Washington
16. “There is nothing which can better deserve your patronage, than the promotion of science and literature. Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness.” – George Washington
17. “Laws made by common consent must not be trampled on by individuals.” – George Washington
18. “It will be found an unjust and unwise jealousy to deprive a man of his natural liberty upon the supposition he may abuse it.” – George Washington
19. “I know of no pursuit in which more real and important services can be rendered to any country than by improving its agriculture, its breed of useful animals, and other branches of a husbandman’s cares.” – George Washington
20. “To form a new Government, requires infinite care, and unbounded attention; for if the foundation is badly laid the superstructure must be bad.” – George Washington
Also check out these great Alexander Hamilton quotes from one of America’s brightest minds.
George Washington quotes to inspire true servant-leadership
21. “But if we are to be told by a foreign power what we shall do, and what we shall not do, we have Independence yet to seek, and have contended hitherto for very little.” – George Washington
22. “Government is not reason and it is not eloquence. It is force! Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.” – George Washington
23. “It should be the highest ambition of every American to extend his views beyond himself, and to bear in mind that his conduct will not only affect himself, his country, and his immediate posterity; but that its influence may be co-extensive with the world, and stamp political happiness or misery on ages yet unborn.” – George Washington
24. “The Hand of providence has been so conspicuous in all this, that he must be worse than an infidel that lacks faith, and more than wicked, that has not gratitude enough to acknowledge his obligations.” – George Washington
25. “I do not mean to exclude altogether the idea of patriotism. I know it exists, and I know it has done much in the present contest. But I will venture to assert, that a great and lasting war can never be supported on this principle alone. It must be aided by a prospect of interest, or some reward.” – George Washington
26. “The foundations of our national policy will be laid in the pure and immutable principles of private morality, and the preeminence of free government be exemplified by all the attributes which can win the affections of its citizens, and command the respect of the world.” – George Washington
27. “The preservation of the sacred fire of liberty, and the destiny of the republican model of government, are justly considered deeply, perhaps as finally, staked on the experiment entrusted to the hands of the American people.” – George Washington
28. “I hope, some day or another, we shall become a storehouse and granary for the world.” – George Washington
29. “Citizens by birth or choice of a common country, that country has a right to concentrate your affections. The name of American, which belongs to you, in your national capacity, must always exalt the just pride of Patriotism, more than any appellation derived from local discriminations.” – George Washington
30. “I anticipate with pleasing expectations that retreat in which I promise myself to realize, without alloy, the sweet enjoyment of partaking, in the midst of my fellow citizens, the benign influence of good laws under a free government, the ever favorite object of my heart, and the happy reward, as I trust, of our mutual cares, labors, and dangers.” – George Washington
George Washington quotes to celebrate his place in history
31. “I wish from my soul that the legislature of this State could see the policy of a gradual Abolition of Slavery.” – George Washington
32. “Few people have the virtue to withstand the highest bidder.” – George Washington
33. “The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights.” – George Washington
34. “We are either a United people, or we are not. If the former, let us, in all matters of general concern act as a nation, which have national objects to promote, and a national character to support. If we are not, let us no longer act a farce by pretending to it.” – George Washington
35. “Your love of liberty – your respect for the laws – your habits of industry – and your practice of the moral and religious obligations, are the strongest claims to national and individual happiness.” – George Washington
36. “Democratical States must always feel before they can see: it is this that makes their Governments slow, but the people will be right at last.” – George Washington
37. “Mankind, when left to themselves, are unfit for their own government.” – George Washington
38. “In proportion as the structure of a government gives force to public opinion, it is essential that public opinion should be enlightened.” – George Washington
39. “No morn ever dawned more favorable than ours did; and no day was every more clouded than the present! Wisdom, and good examples are necessary at this time to rescue the political machine from the impending storm.” – George Washington
40. “A good moral character is the first essential in a man, and that the habits contracted at your age are generally indelible, and your conduct here may stamp your character through life. It is therefore highly important that you should endeavor not only to be learned but virtuous.” – George Washington
George Washington quotes to inspire and teach
41. “Honesty will be found on every experiment, to be the best and only true policy. Let us then as a nation be just.” – George Washington
42. “The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right, which Heaven itself has ordained.” – George Washington
43. “Every post is honorable in which a man can serve his country.” – George Washington
44. “A man’s intentions should be allowed in some respects to plead for his actions.” – George Washington
45. “More permanent and genuine happiness is to be found in the sequestered walks of connubial life than in the giddy rounds of promiscuous pleasure.” – George Washington
46. “I shall make it the most agreeable part of my duty to study merit, and reward the brave and deserving.” – George Washington
47. “Nothing is a greater stranger to my breast, or a sin that my soul more abhors, than that black and detestable one, ingratitude.” – George Washington
48. “I was summoned by my country, whose voice I can never hear but with veneration and love.” – George Washington
49. “I shall not be deprived of a comfort in the worst event, if I retain a consciousness of having acted to the best of my judgment.” – George Washington
50. “The consciousness of having discharged that duty which we owe to our country is superior to all other considerations.” – George Washington
More George Washington quotes and sayings
51. “A pack of jackasses led by a lion is superior to a pack of lions led by a jackass.” – George Washington
52. “Be Americans. Let there be no sectionalism, no North, South, East or West. You are all dependent on one another and should be one in union. In one word, be a nation. Be Americans, and be true to yourselves.” – George Washington
53. “Do not let anyone claim tribute of American patriotism if they even attempt to remove religion from politics.” – George Washington
54. “99% of failures come from people who make excuses.” – George Washington
55. “The future of this nation depends on the Christian training of our youth.” – George Washington
56. “When one side only of a story is heard and often repeated, the human mind becomes impressed with it insensibly.” – George Washington
57. “The time is near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be free men or slaves.” – George Washington
58. “The Constitution is the guide which I never will abandon.” – George Washington
59. “The finite mind of man can never grasp the mysteries of the infinite. It is the highest wisdom, as it is our great happiness, to accept our limitations, to use what we have, and leave the rest to God.” – George Washington
60. “The power under the Constitution will always be in the people.” – George Washington
You might also like these Dwight D. Eisenhower quotes on life, politics and progress.
Which of these George Washington quotes was your favorite?
George Washington will always be remembered for his manifold leadership. The Father of Our Country exemplified character and leadership.
There are timeless lessons to be learned from Washington’s life that can apply to all of us today. Hopefully, his words of wisdom have inspired you to be your best.
Did you enjoy these George Washington quotes? Which of the quotes was your favorite? Let us know in the comment section below.
May 5, 2019 6:49 AM EST