There is something so powerful about watching a tiny candle flame illuminate the space around you, or holding that flame in the palm of your hand. Candles are often used to symbolize light shining in the darkness that often accompanies life, and it is easy to see why.
Reading a candle quote from Anne Frank, about how a candle can define and defy the darkness, drives home the idea that even those who have seen the darkest of moments have been able to find a light that leads them out. That light also acts as a beacon for others and shows them the way.
It is not surprising that candles are also used in religion and have religious symbolism. Many of these candle quotes from spiritual teachers like Buddha or religious figures like St. Francis remind us to search for truth and enlightenment.
A candle is also lit when people die to symbolize finding light in the afterlife. It is also meant as a physical representation of Jesus Christ, who is often described as “the light.” A candle is a symbol of purification and cleansing, which explains why the candle is used in many religious and spiritual ceremonies. It is so much more than that though, so keep reading to find out why a candle is just life.
Don’t forget to also check out these inspirational light quotes on becoming awakened.
Short candle quotes that are perfect for Instagram
1. “There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.” ― Edith Wharton
2. “A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.” ― James Keller
3. “To light a candle is to cast a shadow.” ― Ursula K. Le Guin
4. “Curiosity is the wick in the candle of learning.” ― William Arthur Ward
5. “Man loves company – even if it is only that of a small burning candle.” ― Georg C. Lichtenberg
6. “Burn not thy fingers to snuff another man’s candle.” ― James Howell
7. “Live as intensely as possible, burn your candle of life from both ends.” ― Osho
8. “Carry a candle in the dark, be a candle in the dark, know that you’re a flame in the dark.” ― Ivan Illich
9. “To see a candle’s light one must take it into a dark place.” ― Ursula K. Le Guin
10. “It is not necessary to light a candle to the sun.” ― Algernon Sidney
Candle light quotes from Buddha and others that seek to lead us to enlightenment
11. “Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.” ― Buddha
12. “Just as a candle cannot burn without fire, men cannot live without a spiritual life.” ― Buddha
13. “Do not give them a candle to light the way, teach them how to make fire instead. That is the meaning of enlightenment.” ― Kamand Kojouri
14. “Do not worry if all the candles in the world flicker and die. We have the spark that starts the fire.” ― Rumi
15. “A candle is at its brightest in the dark.” ― Matshona Dhliwayo
16. “There is a candle in your heart, ready to be kindled.” ― Rumi
17. “Nirvana is not the blowing out of the candle. It is the extinguishing of the flame because day is come.” ― Rabindranath Tagore
18. “I prize every candle in the darkness of the universe, even if it is not a supernova of blinding illumination.” ― Thomas Flanagan
19. “Don’t be like a candle! Because the candle dies while making others happy! Clever is the one who finds a way to make others happy without sacrificing himself!” ― Mehmet Murad Ildan
20. “The teacher is like the candle which lights others in consuming itself.” ― Giovanni Ruffini
Funny candle quotes that will make you laugh
21. “You know you’re getting old when you get that one candle on the cake. It’s like, ‘See if you can blow this out.’” ― Jerry Seinfeld
22. “I remember when the candle shop burned down. Everyone stood around singing ‘Happy Birthday.’” ― Steven Wright
23. “I wanted to buy a candle holder, but the store didn’t have one. So I got a cake.” ― Mitch Hedberg
24. “Be able to blow out a dinner candle without sending wax flying across the table.” ― Marilyn Vos Savant
25. “I’m the least spiritual person in the world. I can’t even abide a smelly candle. I know it’s meant to make me relax, and that immediately makes my hackles rise.” ― Jenny Eclair
26. “Electricity is a wonderful thing. Do you realize that if we didn’t have electricity, we’d be watching television by candlelight?” ― Tommy Cooper
27. “When Thomas Edison worked late into the night on the electric light, he had to do it by gas lamp or candle. I’m sure it made the work seem that much more urgent.” ― George Carlin
28. “The reason there’s no modern-day Shakespeare is because he didn’t have anything to do except sit in a room with a candle and think.” ― Chris Cornell
29. “Who needs a candle snuffer? You have air to blow out a candle. I don’t need a snuffer to put it out.” ― Georgia Toffolo
30. “I like my candles like I like my people; non-toxic!” ― Unknown
Religious and symbolic candle quotes
31. “Christians should never fail to sense the operation of an angelic glory. It forever eclipses the world of demonic powers, as the sun does a candle’s light.” ― Billy Graham
32. “The gospel needs to be preached all over the world. You cannot light a candle and put it under a roof.” ― T. B. Joshua
33. “Why would anyone walk through life satisfied with the light from the candle of their own understanding when, by reaching out to our Heavenly Father, they could experience the bright sun of spiritual knowledge that would expand their minds with wisdom and fill their souls with joy?” ― Dieter F. Uchtdorf
34. “When God comes into your life, He lights a candle in your soul.” ― Anita Bryant
35. “To light one candle to God and another to the Devil is the principle of wisdom.” ― Jose Bergamin
36. “We say God and the imagination are one… How high that highest candle lights the dark.” ― Wallace Stevens
37. “All the darkness in the world cannot extinguish the light of a single candle.” ― Francis of Assisi
38. “The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason, the morning daylight appears planer when you put out your candle.” ― Benjamin Franklin
39. “No wonder God chose this dark land to send prophets to, for a candle only shines in the dark.” ― Rami Ollaik
40. “The candles were adored and worshipped like idols, for, after all, they invoked the gods of light.” ― Dean F. Wilson, Lifemaker
Inspirational candle quotes that will warm your heart
41. “Sometimes I light incense and a candle. It’s so peaceful and quiet. The steadiness of the energy and the reliability of the warmth have a calming effect.” ― Cindy Williams
42. “We are not here to curse the darkness, but to light the candle that can guide us thru that darkness to a safe and sane future.” ― John F. Kennedy
43. “Wisdom holds a candle to experience, but you’ve got to take the candle and walk alone.” ― Lauren Kate
44. “Look at how a single candle can both defy and define the darkness.” ― Anne Frank
45. “Life is no brief candle to me. It is a sort of splendid torch which I have got a hold of for the moment, and I want to make it burn as brightly as possible before handing it on to future generations.” ― George Bernard Shaw
46. “I think there’s something in the human psyche that we’re titillated by the person who flies too close to the candle and their wings get singed.” ― Jeffrey Combs
47. “Absence diminishes mediocre passions and increases great ones, as the wind extinguishes candles and fans fires.” ― François de La Rochefoucauld
48. “It is a great pity but tis certain from every day’s observation of man, that he may be set on fire like a candle, at either end, provided there is a sufficient wick standing out.” ― Laurence Sterne
49. “How far that little candle throws its beams! So shines a good deed in a naughty world.” ― William Shakespeare
50. “Reputation is only a candle, of wavering and uncertain flame, and easily blown out, but it is the light by which the world looks for and finds merit.” ― James Russell Lowell
What did you learn from these candle quotes?
So, you know a candle is often used to symbolize life but just what is it about a candle that reminds us of life? Well, there are actually a few things. For starters, the candle has a finite amount of time that it can be lit. When it reaches the point where it can no longer remain lit, it “goes out.”
This is symbolic of our lifespans. We can share and spread our light with the world for just a short period of time before our candles eventually stop burning. Sometimes, our candles are left to burn to the very end, and other times they are blown out while there is much of the candlestick remaining. These are those tragic moments in life, which Elton John so eloquently referred to with his Candle in the Wind lyric, “Your candle burned out long before your legend ever will.”
Most of us hope to live a life where our legends continue burning in the hearts of others, in some way, long after we are gone. This is one way that we strive for life to be more like the candle. A candle burns brightly the whole time it burns, it doesn’t matter if it was just lit, or has been burning for a while. Not enough of us in this world find the thing that makes us burn the brightest. We tend to burn and then go out for a little while before burning again.
Others might get a little closer and manage to stay lit, except for a few periods where they flicker and come back. Imagine what your life would look like if you stayed lit and were the brightest candle you could be for all of your life? What do you think that would look like for you?
What’s your biggest takeaway from these candle quotes and sayings? Let us know how you think life is like a candle or vice versa in the comment section below.
August 13, 2021 7:00 AM EST