80 Good Deeds Quotes to Inspire You to Help Someone Today
April 2, 2023 5:00 AM EST
Check out these good deeds quotes that will inspire you to help someone else today!
There are lots of reasons why people do good deeds.
Sometimes, people do good deeds out of a sense of religious duty or moral obligation.
Other times, people do good deeds because they believe that random acts of kindness will make the world a better place.
You may also enjoy our article on:
According to a study by the National Institutes of Health, performing good deeds can activate the brain’s pleasure centers and promote feelings of happiness and satisfaction.
So, helping others not only benefits the recipient but also provides psychological benefits to the giver.
Then there are people who do good deeds because they want to get rewarded or look good in front of other people.
Indeed, these good deeds quotes shed some light on why people do good deeds and why you should too!
Doing good deeds is obviously good for other people and the world around you.
However, did you know that doing something kind for others can actually help you too?
Undeniably, doing something good for someone else helps you to recognize the plight of others by taking the focus off of the negative things going on in your life and providing some perspective.
Ultimately, getting a little removed from your own bubble can help you increase your level of gratitude for all the positive things in your world.
Keep reading through these good deeds quotes to inspire you to do one thing that brings someone else joy today!
If you like this article, we suggest you explore our most popular quotes article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily encouragement.
Read more related content on our inspirational quotes category page.
Short good deeds quotes
The American Psychological Association reports that people who regularly engage in acts of kindness and generosity have lower levels of stress and anxiety.
So, being kind and doing good deeds can contribute to overall mental and emotional well-being.
These short quick hitting quotes get right to the point. Check these out and see what you think.
1. “A good deed never goes unpunished.” — Gore Vidal
You will also enjoy our article on kindness quotes.
2.“No good deed ever goes wasted.” — Harold S. Kushner
You will also enjoy our article on karma quotes.
3. “A good deed is the best prayer.” — Robert Green Ingersoll
You will also enjoy our article on deep quotes.
4. “Big words seldom accompany good deeds.” — Charlotte Whitton
You will also enjoy our article on quotes by mother teresa.
5. “To be doing good deeds is man’s most glorious task.” — Sophocles
You will also enjoy our article on gratitude quotes.
6. “Our sins are more easily remembered than our good deeds.” — Democritus
You will also enjoy our article on wise sayings about life.
7. “God does not need your good works, but your neighbor does.” — Martin Luther
You will also enjoy our article on actions speak louder than words quotes.
8. “The smallest act of kindness is worth more than the greatest intention.” — Khalil Gibran
You will also enjoy our article on sacrifice quotes.
9. “The man of sensibility is too busy talking about his feelings to have time for good deeds.” — Mason Cooley
You will also enjoy our article on 10 favorite quotes for motivation and inspiration.
10. “According to the Sutras, evil deeds result in hardships and good deeds result in blessings.” — Bodhidharma
You will also enjoy our article on quotes about choices and consequences.
Good deeds quotes about rewards and acknowledgement
Research by the University of California, Berkeley, suggests that kindness and altruism can strengthen social connections and promote a sense of belonging.
So, performing good deeds can foster positive relationships and build a stronger sense of community.
We don’t do good deeds solely for the sake of a reward or acknowledgement, but it is nice to be noticed. Have you ever performed a good deed and if so do you agree with the quotes below?
11. “A good deed hidden in silence dies.” — Pindar
You will also enjoy our article on angel quotes.
12. “The reward of a good deed is in having done it.” — Elbert Hubbard
You will also enjoy our article on motivational quotes for kids.
13. “Noble deeds that are concealed are most esteemed.” — Blaise Pascal
You will also enjoy our article on quotes about losing a loved one.
14. “All I ever seek from good deeds is a measure of respect.” — Walter Annenberg
15. “Be prepared, and be careful not to do your good deeds when there’s no one watching you.” — Tom Lehrer
16. “There is no reward equal to that of doing the most good to the most people in the most need.” — Evangeline Booth
17. “The greatest pleasure I know is to do a good action by stealth, and to have it found out by accident.” — Charles Lamb
18. “When you do things for others; don’t expect your good deeds to be returned. Do it because you enjoy making someone’s day.” — Rita Zahara
19. “When you have done a good deed that another has had the benefit of, why do you need a third reward-as fools do-praise for having done well or looking for a favor in return.” — Marcus Aurelius
20. “Good deeds are, in a deeper psychological way, a favor to oneself. If this is not grasped, then our whole sense of personal relationships becomes warped.” — Sydney J. Harris
Wise good deeds quotes and sayings
According to research by the Greater Good Science Center at UC Berkeley, experiencing gratitude can increase feelings of happiness and well-being.
By expressing gratitude for the good deeds of others, we can cultivate a positive outlook and inspire others to do the same.
Who can’t use a little more wisdom? Take a look at the wise good deeds quotes below and see if you learn anything new.
21. “So shines a good deed… in a weary world.” — Gene Wilder
22. “Noble deeds and hot baths are the best cures for depression.” — Dodie Smith
23. “Good deeds are no less good because their object is unworthy.” — Henry David Thoreau
24. “Good deeds are seldom remembered; bad deeds are seldom forgotten.” — Ernie J Zelinski
25. “The power of noble deeds is to be preserved and passed on to the future.” — Joshua Chamberlain
26. “It takes many good deeds to build a good reputation, and only one bad one to lose it.” — Benjamin Franklin
27. “Neither soldiers nor money can defend a king but only friends won by good deeds, merit, and honesty.” — Sallust
28. “How far that little candle throws its beams! So shines a good deed in a naughty world.” — William Shakespeare
29. “Like a stone thrown into a pond, a good deed can create ripples that extend far beyond the initial splash.” — Jeanne Phillips
30. “This world is very good as if we do good deeds then we will get its fruits. World is bitter for those who live their life with corruption or sins.” — Rahman Baba
Good deeds quotes about kindness and other virtues
A study by the University of California, Los Angeles found that witnessing acts of kindness can have a contagious effect, inspiring others to engage in similar behaviors.
This statistic highlights the power of leading by example and how one person’s good deed can create a ripple effect of kindness.
When you perform good deeds it says a lot about the kind person you are. Check out how others feel about good deeds.
31. “Like threads of silver seen through crystal beads Let love through good deeds show.” — Edwin Arnold
32. “If you set out to do a good deed, you may do a hundred small kindnesses on the way.” — Sarah Doudney
33. “That best portion of a man’s life, his little, nameless, unremembered acts of kindness and love.” — William Wordsworth
34. “Forget yourself by becoming interested in others. Do every day a good deed that will put a smile of joy on someone’s face.” — Dale Carnegie
35. “Never refuse to do a kindness unless the act would work great injury to yourself, and never refuse to take a drink – under any circumstances.” — Mark Twain
36. “Verily the kindness that gazes upon itself in a mirror turns to stone, and a good deed that calls itself by tender names becomes the parent to a curse.” — Khalil Gibran
37. “Be happy, noble heart, be blessed for all the good thou hast done and wilt do hereafter, and let my gratitude remain in obscurity like your good deeds.” — Alexandre Dumas
38. “Look to what you have around you and be grateful, instead of searching for more. All you take with you when you leave this world is love, friendship, and good deeds.” — Sylvia Browne
39. “I expect to pass through life but once. If therefore, there be any kindness I can show, or any good thing I can do to any fellow being, let me do it now, and not defer or neglect it, as I shall not pass this way again.” — William Penn
40. “Just as treasures are uncovered from the earth, so virtue appears from good deeds, and wisdom appears from a pure and peaceful mind. To walk safely through the maze of human life, one needs the light of wisdom and the guidance of virtue.” — Buddha
More good deeds quotes about justice, injustice, and life
According to a study by the University of Michigan, performing acts of kindness can increase social connection and reduce feelings of loneliness.
This study suggests that helping others can not only benefit the recipient but also improve the well-being of the person performing the good deed.
This next set of good deeds quotes are from some wise and famous people. Take a look and see if you have heard any of these quotes before.
41. “If you want to give the devil a nervous breakdown, just get up every day and see how much good you can do.” — Joyce Meyer
42. “It isn’t hard to find injustice around us, but we must not let injustice smear the good deeds that do occur everyday.” — Rand Paul
43. “A man must be willing to die for justice. Death is an inescapable reality and men die daily, but good deeds live forever.” — Jesse Jackson
44. “We would frequently be ashamed of our good deeds if people saw all of the motives that produced them.” — Francois de La Rochefoucauld
45. “The true nature of all wealth is temporary; those who have wealth must here and now do good deeds that will live for a long time.” — Thiruvalluvar
46. “Thinking good thoughts is not enough, doing good deeds is not enough, seeing others follow your good examples is enough.” — Douglas Horton
47. “When there is life and mankind, a person will live striving for good deeds, liberty and a bright life, and wish that goodness and justice will reign in the world.” — Islom Karimov
48. “Life is short and if you’re looking for extension, you had best do well. ‘Cause there’s good deeds and then there’s good intentions. They are as far apart as Heaven and Hell.” — Ben Harper
49. “Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as ever you can.” — John Wesley
50. “To be successful in struggle requires remembrance of the Creator and the doing of good deeds. This is important because successful struggle demands that there be a kind of social consciousness.” — H. Rap Brown
Good Deeds quotes to show kindness
According to a study by the University of California, Berkeley, helping others can increase feelings of happiness and well-being.
This statistic highlights the positive impact that doing good deeds can have on both the recipient and the giver.
51. “Avoid jealously for this destroys good deeds as fire destroys wood.” — Abu Hurairah
52. “We can all do good deeds, but very few of us can think good thoughts.” — Cesare Pavese
53. “A sign that your good deed has been accepted is that you do more good deeds after it.”” — Ibn Rajab
54. “Do not think little of any good deed, even if it is just greeting your brother with a smile.” — Muhammad
55. “If you are poor, distinguish yourself by your virtues; if rich, by your good deeds.” — Joseph Joubert
56. “Turn yourself not away from three best things: Good Thought, Good Word, and Good Deed.” — Zoroaster
57. “Only the other world has substance and reality; only good deeds and holy learning have tangible worth.” — Abraham Cahan
58. “Know the joy of life by piling good deed on good deed until no rift or cranny appears between them.” — Marcus Aurelius
59. “The most excellent of those who perform good deeds are those who most often remember God in all situations.” — Ibn Ata Allah
60. “Beware of sentimental alliances where the consciousness of good deeds is the only compensation for noble sacrifices.” — Otto von Bismarck
Good Deeds quotes to help you be realistic
According to a study by the University of Exeter, acts of kindness can improve social connections and foster a sense of belonging, which are important factors for mental and emotional well-being.
This statistic underscores the power of small acts of kindness in creating positive social change.
61. “Do good by stealth, and blush to find it fame.” — Alexander Pope
62. “A good edge is good for nothing, if it has nothing to cut.” — Thomas Fuller
63. “Neither fire nor wind, birth nor death can erase our good deeds.” — Buddha
64. “You can fake being cool, but you can‘t fake being good.” — Chuck Klosterman
65. “A life spent worthily should be measured by deeds, not years.” — Richard Sheridan
66. “Better do a good deed near at home than go far away to burn incense.” — Amelia Earhart
67. “To be good is noble, but to teach others how to be good is nobler – and less trouble.” — Mark Twain
68. “Talking isn‘t doing. It is a kind of good deed to say well; and yet words are not deeds.” — William Shakespeare
69. “A man makes no noise over a good deed, but passes on to another as a vine to bear grapes again in season.” — Marcus Aurelius
70. “There is an idea abroad among moral people that they should make their neighbours good. One person I have to make good: myself.” — Robert Louis Stevenson
Good Deeds Quotes for Being Kindhearted
According to a study by the University of Michigan, individuals who engage in pro-social behaviors, such as volunteering and helping others, are more likely to live longer and experience better physical health.
This statistic emphasizes the importance of doing good deeds not only for personal fulfillment, but also for physical well-being.
71. “Good deeds, when concealed, are the most admirable.” ― Blaise Pascal
72. “Good deeds, create good will, which opens the heart to the good news.” ― Eric Swanson
73. “The interior joy we feel when we have done a good deed is the nourishment the soul requires.” ― Albert Schweitzer
74. “I’m weird. I still believe that when you do good deeds, you get something back in return. That’s why I really enjoy helping other guys succeed.” ― Matt Hardy
75. “Help me, O Lord, that my hands may be merciful and filled with good deeds, so that I may do only good to my neighbors.” ― Mary Faustina Kowalska
76. “I do not forget any good deed done to me & I do not carry a grudge for a bad one.” ― Viktor E. Frankl
77. “In the calculus of good deeds you have the most to gain.” ― Naguib Mahfouz
78. “Much of our love is confined to mere lip service and dreams of good deeds accomplished, but true love must be expressed in unselfish acts of kindness that bring others closer to our Heavenly Father.” ― Jack H. Goaslind
79. “I am simply content to find myself always imperfect, and in this I find my joy. Good deeds count as nothing, if done without love.” ― Therese of Lisieux
80. “If one good deed in all my life I did, I do repent it from my very soul.” ― William Shakespeare
The impact of good deeds on our mental health
Doing good deeds can do more for your mental health than increase gratitude and shift your focus from the negative to the positive.
According to mentalhealth.org.uk, people who do good deeds feel the effects of stress less and may even live longer!
So, what kind of good deeds are we talking about here?
Well, random acts of kindness are always a good place to start!
So is volunteering for an organization that means something to you.
If there is a cause that speaks to you, and you can help out in some way—then do it!
There are so many volunteering options out there.
You are bound to find something that is important to you or is something you enjoy doing.
Whenever you get really lucky, you might find an opportunity that meets both of those needs.
VolunteerMatch.org is a wonderful resource if you are not sure where to look for opportunities to serve the community.
They work with almost 140,000 nonprofit organizations, so surely there is something for you!
Do you have any meaningful good deeds quotes or stories to share about volunteering?
How about a good deed that you did for someone else that changed your life for the better?
Share with your friends on social media and post your thoughts with us in the comment section below.