This collection of quotes about helping others will inspire you to lend a helping hand for nothing in return.
Doing something for someone else simply out of the kindness of your heart speaks volumes about who you are as a person. When we help others, it gives them a chance to shine and you never know just how much that could mean to them when they are feeling low.
Helping others without expecting anything in return can bring lasting happiness. It can help you build long-lasting relationships, open more doors for you, and bring meaningful success.
Service to others results in a life of less stress, less anxiety, and less frustration. When you help others with no expectation of anything in return, you begin to feel more fulfilled, more complete, more alive.
As you’ll notice from the quotes about helping others below, living for others helps you find great freedom and inner peace. Remember, true joy and fulfillment is found not in being served, but in choosing to serve.
Although most people today are motivated by what they get in return, we should learn to help with no expectation of repayment; for we shall be repaid with joy and fulfillment in countless other ways.
To inspire your next act of love and kindness, below is our collection of inspirational, wise, and meaningful giving quotes about helping others. Enjoy!
Quotes about helping others and getting nothing in return
1. “The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
2. “There is no exercise better for the heart than reaching down and lifting people up.” – John Holmes
3. “You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.” – John Bunyan
4. “A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal.” – Steve Maraboli
5. “I don’t want to live in the kind of world where we don’t look out for each other. Not just the people that are close to us, but anybody who needs a helping hand. I can’t change the way anybody else thinks, or what they choose to do, but I can do my bit.” – Charles De Lint
6. “There is nothing more beautiful than someone who goes out of their way to make life beautiful for others.” – Mandy Hale
7. “It’s not enough to have lived. We should be determined to live for something. May I suggest that it be creating joy for others, sharing what we have for the betterment of person kind, bringing hope to the lost and love to the lonely.” – Leo Buscaglia
8. “If you’re not making someone else’s life better, then you’re wasting your time. Your life will become better by making other lives better.” – Will Smith
9. “I’m starting to think this world is just a place for us to learn that we need each other more than we want to admit.” – Richelle E. Goodrich
10. “Those who are happiest are those who do the most for others.” – Booker T. Washington
You might also like these inspirational generosity quotes to inspire happiness.
Quotes about helping others to inspire your next act of love and kindness
11. “One of the most important things you can do on this earth is to let people know they are not alone.” – Shannon L. Alder
12. “Never underestimate the difference YOU can make in the lives of others. Step forward, reach out and help. This week reach to someone that might need a lift.” – Pablo
13. “The next time you want to withhold your help, or your love, or your support for another for whatever the reason, ask yourself a simple question: do the reasons you want to withhold it reflect more on them or on you? And which reasons do you want defining you forevermore?” – Dan Pearce
14. “Remember this. Hold on to this. This is the only perfection there is, the perfection of helping others. This is the only thing we can do that has any lasting meaning. This is why we’re here. To make each other feel safe.” – Andre Agassi
15. “Service to humanity is service to God.” – Lailah Gifty Akita
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of quotes about service about the power of serving others.
16. “Stand up for someone who is in need so that it will build confidence in you to stand up for yourself at times when required…” – Adil Adam Memon
17. “The simple gift of giving becomes an elaborate rich aftertaste of a natural blissful feeling, lingering endlessly in my lifetime.” – Wes Adamson
18. “When you reach out to those in need, do not be surprised if the essential meaning of something occurs.” – Stephen Richards
19. “Sometimes, we may discover we helped the wrong person, but that should not be a reason to stop helping other people in need, even though we were fooled previously. If you want to do good, there are opportunities everywhere. Don’t let the fools spoil your good heart.” – Nico J. Genes
20. “It is literally true that you can succeed best and quickest by helping others to succeed.” – Napoleon Hill
You might also like these motivational firefighter quotes to appreciate our hometown heroes.
Quotes about helping others to inspire selflessness
21. “Let the echo of your footsteps spark a ray of hope in the heart of the hopeless and appear as help to the helpless.” – Abhijit Naskar
22. “Never suppress a generous thought.” – Camilla Kimball
23. “Every shine which destroys the darkness of others is a holy shine!” – Mehmet Murat ildan
24. “When the chance comes to do a good deed, don’t waste it because it might never come back. The world doesn’t have an (Undo) button; still, you have your conscience, brain, wisdom, and heart to help you do the right thing.” – Noora Ahmed Alsuwaidi
25. “When you help someone, you also help yourself. Instead of worrying about how much you get in return, you are better off helping as many people as you can.” – Tapan Ghosh
26. “Helping others is a good effort to instill human dignity” – Gift Gugu Mona
27. “Our prime purpose in life is to help others. If you can’t help them, at least do not hurt them.” – Dalai Lama
28. “Ask not what I can get more from others, but instead what gift I have that can better help serve others more.” – David Vosburg
29. “Being able to uplift others is the biggest miracle in the world.” – Sri Avinash Do
30. “The most fulfilling times in my life are those times when I am helping others” – Charmaine J Forde
Quotes about helping others to help you make a difference in other people’s lives
31. “Be nice to people… maybe it’ll be unappreciated, unreciprocated, or ignored, but spread the love anyway. We rise by lifting others.” – Germany Kent
32. “Nothing liberates our greatness like the desire to help, the desire to serve.” – Marianne Williamson
33. “You can raise your potential when you help someone to reach their potential.” – Amit Ray
34. “Success comes in direct proportion to the number of people you help.” – Will Craig
35. “Don’t value your self-worth by others or external things but by appreciating who you are within. And if you must measure your success do it not by what you have gained personally but what you have contributed to a wider benefit.” – Rasheed Ogunlaru
36. “A truly successful person is not one who achieves his highest ambitions, but one who enjoys helping others reach theirs.” – Charbel Tadros
37. “If you are truly concerned about helping people and creating value for them in your business and life. God will take care of you, and the universe will reward you.” – Bernard Kelvin Clive
38. “Find out how much God has given you and from it take what you need; the remainder is needed by others.” – Saint Augustine
39. “Dare to reach out your hand into the darkness, to pull another hand into the light.” – Norman B. Rice
40. “Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.” – Buddha
Meaningful quotes about helping others
41. “What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.” – Albert Pike
42. “Not he who has much is rich but he who gives much.” – Erich Fromm
43. “Let no one ever come to you without leaving better and happier. Be the living expression of God’s kindness: kindness in your face, kindness in your eyes, kindness in your smile.” – Mother Teresa
44. “Great opportunities to help others seldom come, but small ones surround us every day.” – Sally Koch
45. “In helping others, we shall help ourselves, for whatever good we give out completes the circle and comes back to us.” – Flora Edwards
46. “To me, there are saints every day. They stand up and help others and live for others and do things for others.” – Theodore Melfi
47. “To do more for the world than the world does for you, that is success.” – Henry Ford
48. “No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another.” – Charles Dickens
49. “You need an attitude of service. You’re not just serving yourself. You help others to grow up and you grow with them.” – David Green
50. “An effort made for the happiness of others lifts us above ourselves.” – Lydia M. Child
More quotes about helping others
51. “What is the essence of life? To serve others and to do good.” – Aristotle
52. “If you light a lamp for somebody, it will also brighten your path.” – Gautama Buddha
53. “The purpose of human life is to serve and to show compassion and the will to help others.” – Albert Schweitzer
54. “To hell with the self and for others be the help.”― Abhijit Naskar
55. “We can’t help everyone, but everyone can help someone.” – Dr. Loretta Scott
56. “We can help others in the world more by making the most of ourselves than in any other way.” – Earl Nightingale
57. “When one gives, two get happy.”― Amit Kalantri
58. “You can’t live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you.” – John Wooden
59. “Only by giving are you able to receive more than you already have.” – Jim Rohn
60. “Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile.” – Albert Einstein
Helping others quotes that remind us why it matters
61. “Help others achieve their dreams and you will achieve yours.” — Les Brown
62. “I want to help others smile and be kind as often as possible.” — Ainsley Harriott
63. “We have true power when we support each other.”― Bert McCoy
64. “I think we forget sometimes how blessed we are to be able to help others and make a difference!” — Gautam Rode
65. “I feel that if you are blessed, or lucky enough, to be doing well, you should help others.” – Laurell K. Hamilton
66. “Being self-made means putting yourself in position to help others put themselves in position to be successful.” — A Boogie wit da Hoodie
67. “Doing something for yourself gives motivation but doing something for others gives meaning.”― Maxime Lagacé
68. “Where there is help, there is hope.”― Joseph Meyering Sr.
69. “Through our willingness to help others we can learn to be happy rather than depressed.” – Gerald Jampolsky
70. “Once I leave this earth, I know I’ve done something that will continue to help others.” – Jackie Joyner-Kersee
Encouraging quotes about helping others
71. “Be kind and help others. Let the ones you love know you love them.” – Kyle Carpenter
72. “For me, it has always been about using my platform to help others.” – Bobby Bones
73. “I think it’s important, as a human being, to help others.” – Jason Derulo
74. “You feel alive to the degree that you feel you can help others.” – John Travolta
75. “Always have a willing hand to help someone, you might be the only one that does.” – Roy T. Bennett
76. “People appreciate and never forget that helping hand especially when times are tough.” – Catherine Pulsifer
77. “Helping others is the secret sauce to a happy life.” – Todd Stocker
78. “Take the time to help other people without expecting a reward or gratitude is definitely important in living an optimistic life.” – Krista Witherspoon
79. “Helping others, encouraging others, are often acts of being kind that have more meaning than you may realize.’ – Catherine Pulsifer
80. “How do measure your growth? By how much you help.”― Meir Ezra
Quotes about helping others unconditionally
81. “People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered. Love them anyway.” – Kent M. Keith
82. “We can not build our own future without helping others build theirs.”― Bill Clinton
83. “As you grow older, you will discover that you have two hands, one for helping yourself, the other for helping others.” – Audrey Hepburn
84. “Be a glass of water and quench the thirst of others.”― Abhijit Naskar
85. “No one has ever become poor by giving.” – Anne Frank
86. “The greatest good is what we do for one another.” – Mother Teresa
87. “There is no better exercise for your heart than reaching down and helping to lift someone up.” – Bernard Meltzer
88. “I never thought in terms of being a leader. I thought very simply in terms of helping people.” – John Hume
89. “Learn to light a candle in the darkest moments of someone’s life. Be the light that helps others see; it is what gives life its deepest significance.” – Roy T. Bennett
90. “If you can help other lives without neglecting to live your own life, this is a great personal achievement!”― Mehmet Murat ildan
Which of these quotes about helping others was your favorite?
People who need our help exist all around us. When you help them, it means you’ve done something to help them move forward.
Helping other people reach their goals can result in you achieving your own success as well. Hopefully, the quotes about helping others above have inspired you to help someone without the expectation of receiving anything in return.
Which of these quotes about helping others resonated with you best? Do you have any other quotes to add to the list? Tell us in the comment section below.
June 1, 2022 3:00 AM EST