This collection of quotes about helping others will inspire you to lend a helping hand for nothing in return.
Doing something for someone else simply out of the kindness of your heart speaks volumes about who you are as a person.
Share your favorite quote about helping others with us in the comment section below.
What are the benefits of reading these quotes about helping others?
When we help others, it gives them a chance to shine, and you never know just how much that could mean to them when they are feeling low.
Helping others while expecting nothing in return can bring lasting happiness.
It can help you build long-lasting relationships, open more doors for you, and bring meaningful success.
Service to others results in a life of less stress, less anxiety, and less frustration.
When you help others without expecting anything in return, you begin to feel more fulfilled, complete, and alive.
As you’ll notice from the quotes about helping others:
- living for others helps you find great freedom and inner peace
- helping someone else increases our sense of gratitude
- we all need help from time to time
Remember, we find true joy and fulfillment not in being served but in choosing to serve.
Although most people today are motivated by what they get, we should learn to help with no expectation of repayment, for we shall be repaid with joy and fulfillment in countless other ways.
Quotes about helping others and getting nothing in return
1. “The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
You will also enjoy our article on quotes about having fun.
2. “There is no exercise better for the heart than reaching down and lifting people up.” – John Holmes
3. “You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.” – John Bunyan
4. “A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal.” – Steve Maraboli
5. “I don’t want to live in the kind of world where we don’t look out for each other. Not just the people that are close to us, but anybody who needs a helping hand. I can’t change the way anybody else thinks, or what they choose to do, but I can do my bit.” – Charles De Lint
6. “There is nothing more beautiful than someone who goes out of their way to make life beautiful for others.” – Mandy Hale
7. “It’s not enough to have lived. We should be determined to live for something. May I suggest that it be creating joy for others, sharing what we have for the betterment of person kind, bringing hope to the lost and love to the lonely.” – Leo Buscaglia
8. “If you’re not making someone else’s life better, then you’re wasting your time. Your life will become better by making other lives better.” – Will Smith
9. “I’m starting to think this world is just a place for us to learn that we need each other more than we want to admit.” – Richelle E. Goodrich
10. “Those who are happiest are those who do the most for others.” – Booker T. Washington
You might also like these inspirational generosity quotes to inspire happiness.
Quotes about helping others to inspire your next act of love and kindness
11. “One of the most important things you can do on this earth is to let people know they are not alone.” – Shannon L. Alder
12. “Never underestimate the difference YOU can make in the lives of others. Step forward, reach out and help. This week reach to someone that might need a lift.” – Pablo
13. “The next time you want to withhold your help, or your love, or your support for another for whatever the reason, ask yourself a simple question: do the reasons you want to withhold it reflect more on them or on you? And which reasons do you want defining you forevermore?” – Dan Pearce
14. “Remember this. Hold on to this. This is the only perfection there is, the perfection of helping others. This is the only thing we can do that has any lasting meaning. This is why we’re here. To make each other feel safe.” – Andre Agassi
You will also enjoy our article on happiness quotes
15. “Service to humanity is service to God.” – Lailah Gifty Akita
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of quotes about service about the power of serving others.
You will also enjoy our article on I’m done quotes.
16. “Stand up for someone who is in need so that it will build confidence in you to stand up for yourself at times when required…” – Adil Adam Memon
You will also enjoy our article on unappreciated quotes.
17. “The simple gift of giving becomes an elaborate rich aftertaste of a natural blissful feeling, lingering endlessly in my lifetime.” – Wes Adamson
You will also enjoy our article on good deeds quotes.
18. “When you reach out to those in need, do not be surprised if the essential meaning of something occurs.” – Stephen Richards
You will also enjoy our article on Stranger Things quotes.
19. “Sometimes, we may discover we helped the wrong person, but that should not be a reason to stop helping other people in need, even though we were fooled previously. If you want to do good, there are opportunities everywhere. Don’t let the fools spoil your good heart.” – Nico J. Genes
You will also enjoy our article on Stop Expecting.
20. “It is literally true that you can succeed best and quickest by helping others to succeed.” – Napoleon Hill
You might also like these motivational firefighter quotes to appreciate our hometown heroes.
Quotes about helping others to inspire selflessness
21. “Let the echo of your footsteps spark a ray of hope in the heart of the hopeless and appear as help to the helpless.” – Abhijit Naskar
22. “Never suppress a generous thought.” – Camilla Kimball
You will also enjoy our article on Service quotes.
23. “Every shine which destroys the darkness of others is a holy shine!” – Mehmet Murat ildan
You will also enjoy our article on Make Others Feel Special.
24. “When the chance comes to do a good deed, don’t waste it because it might never come back. The world doesn’t have an (Undo) button; still, you have your conscience, brain, wisdom, and heart to help you do the right thing.” – Noora Ahmed Alsuwaidi
You will also enjoy our article on intention quotes.
25. “When you help someone, you also help yourself. Instead of worrying about how much you get in return, you are better off helping as many people as you can.” – Tapan Ghosh
26. “Helping others is a good effort to instill human dignity” – Gift Gugu Mona
27. “Our prime purpose in life is to help others. If you can’t help them, at least do not hurt them.” – Dalai Lama
28. “Ask not what I can get more from others, but instead what gift I have that can better help serve others more.” – David Vosburg
29. “Being able to uplift others is the biggest miracle in the world.” – Sri Avinash Do
30. “The most fulfilling times in my life are those times when I am helping others” – Charmaine J Forde
Quotes about helping others to help you make a difference in other people’s lives
31. “Be nice to people… maybe it’ll be unappreciated, unreciprocated, or ignored, but spread the love anyway. We rise by lifting others.” – Germany Kent
32. “Nothing liberates our greatness like the desire to help, the desire to serve.” – Marianne Williamson
33. “You can raise your potential when you help someone to reach their potential.” – Amit Ray
34. “Success comes in direct proportion to the number of people you help.” – Will Craig
35. “Don’t value your self-worth by others or external things but by appreciating who you are within. And if you must measure your success do it not by what you have gained personally but what you have contributed to a wider benefit.” – Rasheed Ogunlaru
36. “A truly successful person is not one who achieves his highest ambitions, but one who enjoys helping others reach theirs.” – Charbel Tadros
37. “If you are truly concerned about helping people and creating value for them in your business and life. God will take care of you, and the universe will reward you.” – Bernard Kelvin Clive
38. Find out how much God has given you and from it take what you need; the remainder is needed by others.” – Saint Augustine
39. “Dare to reach out your hand into the darkness, to pull another hand into the light.” – Norman B. Rice
40. “Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.” – Buddha
Meaningful quotes about helping others
41. “What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.” – Albert Pike
42. “Not he who has much is rich but he who gives much.” – Erich Fromm
43. “Let no one ever come to you without leaving better and happier. Be the living expression of God’s kindness: kindness in your face, kindness in your eyes, kindness in your smile.” – Mother Teresa
44. “Great opportunities to help others seldom come, but small ones surround us every day.” – Sally Koch
45. “In helping others, we shall help ourselves, for whatever good we give out completes the circle and comes back to us.” – Flora Edwards
46. “To me, there are saints every day. They stand up and help others and live for others and do things for others.” – Theodore Melfi
47. “To do more for the world than the world does for you, that is success.” – Henry Ford
48. “No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another.” – Charles Dickens
49. “You need an attitude of service. You’re not just serving yourself. You help others to grow up and you grow with them.” – David Green
50. “An effort made for the happiness of others lifts us above ourselves.” – Lydia M. Child
More quotes about helping others
51. “What is the essence of life? To serve others and to do good.” – Aristotle
52. “If you light a lamp for somebody, it will also brighten your path.” – Gautama Buddha
53. “The purpose of human life is to serve and to show compassion and the will to help others.” – Albert Schweitzer
54. “To hell with the self and for others be the help.”― Abhijit Naskar
55. “We can’t help everyone, but everyone can help someone.” – Dr. Loretta Scott
56. “We can help others in the world more by making the most of ourselves than in any other way.” – Earl Nightingale
57. “When one gives, two get happy.”― Amit Kalantri
59. “Only by giving are you able to receive more than you already have.” – Jim Rohn
60. “Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile.” – Albert Einstein
Helping others quotes that remind us why it matters
61. “Help others achieve their dreams and you will achieve yours.” — Les Brown
62. “I want to help others smile and be kind as often as possible.” — Ainsley Harriott
63. “We have true power when we support each other.”― Bert McCoy
64. “I think we forget sometimes how blessed we are to be able to help others and make a difference!” — Gautam Rode
65. “I feel that if you are blessed, or lucky enough, to be doing well, you should help others.” – Laurell K. Hamilton
66. “Being self-made means putting yourself in position to help others put themselves in position to be successful.” — A Boogie wit da Hoodie
67. “Doing something for yourself gives motivation but doing something for others gives meaning.”― Maxime Lagacé
68. “Where there is help, there is hope.”― Joseph Meyering Sr.
69. “Through our willingness to help others we can learn to be happy rather than depressed.” – Gerald Jampolsky
70. “Once I leave this earth, I know I’ve done something that will continue to help others.” – Jackie Joyner-Kersee
Encouraging quotes about helping others
71. “Be kind and help others. Let the ones you love know you love them.” – Kyle Carpenter
72. “For me, it has always been about using my platform to help others.” – Bobby Bones
73. “I think it’s important, as a human being, to help others.” – Jason Derulo
74. “You feel alive to the degree that you feel you can help others.” – John Travolta
75. “Always have a willing hand to help someone, you might be the only one that does.” – Roy T. Bennett
76. “People appreciate and never forget that helping hand especially when times are tough.” – Catherine Pulsifer
77. “Helping others is the secret sauce to a happy life.” – Todd Stocker
78. “Take the time to help other people without expecting a reward or gratitude is definitely important in living an optimistic life.” – Krista Witherspoon
79. “Helping others, encouraging others, are often acts of being kind that have more meaning than you may realize.’ – Catherine Pulsifer
80. “How do measure your growth? By how much you help.”― Meir Ezra
Quotes about helping others unconditionally
81. “People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered. Love them anyway.” – Kent M. Keith
82. “We can not build our own future without helping others build theirs.”― Bill Clinton
83. “As you grow older, you will discover that you have two hands, one for helping yourself, the other for helping others.” – Audrey Hepburn
84. “Be a glass of water and quench the thirst of others.”― Abhijit Naskar
85. “No one has ever become poor by giving.” – Anne Frank
86. “The greatest good is what we do for one another.” – Mother Teresa
87. “The Bible says we’re to be moderate in all things. It’s good to help others but not at the expense of your own family.” ― Lori Copeland
88. “I never thought in terms of being a leader. I thought very simply in terms of helping people.” – John Hume
89. “Learn to light a candle in the darkest moments of someone’s life. Be the light that helps others see; it is what gives life its deepest significance.” – Roy T. Bennett
90. “If you can help other lives without neglecting to live your own life, this is a great personal achievement!”― Mehmet Murat ildan
Short quotes about helping others
91. “We change the world a little each day with our kindness.” ― Tom Giaquinto
92. “I don’t care who is giving to whom, but I give my best to my people.”― Sivaprakash Sidhu
93. “I’m just helping someone who is unfortunate. Is that a crime?” ― Shannon A. Thompson
94. “When you open a door for others, you sometimes open doors for yourself.”― Donald L. Hicks
95. “Self-improvement comes mainly from trying to help others.”― Sir John Templeton
96. “It is beautiful, beautiful to give; one of the very most beautiful things in life.”― Elizabeth von Arnim
97. “Be a blessing to someone else.”― Joyce Meyer
98. “In lifting another person, we also lift ourselves.”― Seth Adam Smith
99. “The day you help or give someone anything without any selfish expectations or ulterior motives…is the day your real life begins.”― Joe Campos
100. “The help we give to others creates the ripple of good feeling we give to ourselves.”― Gina Greenlee
Quotes About Helping Others To Show Kindness
101. “Helping others, without expecting anything in return is what true self-worth is all about.” — Gavin Bird
102. “Make each new day count by helping someone or just making someone smile.” — Catherine Pulsifer
103. “Each of us owes someone. We all benefit by reaching out and helping others.” — Les Brown
104. “The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.” — Gandhi
105. “Somewhere along the way, we must learn that there is nothing greater than to do something for others.” — Martin Luther King Jr
106. “Advantages of helping people include you being a good example for your children, family, and friends, and you having a direct impact on the trajectory of the lives of a lot of people.” — Rafael Bettencourt
107. “All that we send into the lives of others comes back into our own.” — Edwin Markham
108. “Kindness and helping others will return to you when you least expect it, and maybe when you need it.” — Catherine Pulsifer
109. “Don’t hold back your gift, because you never know when you might be helping someone. We all have a gift to give.” — Laya Saul
110. “Helping others, serving others—this is the real meaning of life.” — Dalai Lama
Quotes About Helping Others To Show Compassion
111. “God didn’t make hands to do bad things, but for helping others.” ― Mama Elyse
112. “You get the best out of others when you give the best of yourself.” ― Harry Firestone
113. “We are here on earth to do good for others. What the others are here for, I don’t know.” ― W. H. Auden
114. “Doing things for others always pays dividends.” ― Claude M. Bristol
115. “No joy can equal the joy of serving others.” ― Sai Baba
116. “When a person is down in the world, an ounce of help is better than a pound of preaching.” ― Edward G. Bulwer-Lytton
117. “Even if it is a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.” ― Dr. Albert Schweitzer
118. “Every morning when I wake up, I dedicate myself to helping others to find peace of mind. Then, when I meet people, I think of them as long-term friends; I don’t regard others as strangers.” ― 14th Dalai Lama
119. “Do something for somebody every day for which you do not get paid.” ― Dr. Albert Schweitzer
120. “Helping others is the key to happiness. People are so engrossed in their own lives that they can’t see that simple truth; it’s that easy. Helping others leads to one’s own happiness.” ― Steven Karius
Quotes About Helping Others To Enhance Your Overall Self
121. How wrong we would be to stop helping anyone because we cannot help everyone.” — Charles Swindoll
122. “First help those who deserve; if any energy left at all, this time help those who do not deserve!” ― Mehmet Murat ildan
123. “Seek something outside your nine-to-five job as an additional source of fulfillment and as a way to feel the joy of helping others.” — Harold Kushner
124. “We have a responsibility to help those around us and help others in need.” — Virginia Williams
125.“Helping others in need is not only a responsibility of life; it is what gives meaning to life.” — Mollie Marti
126. “Helping others isn’t a chore; it is one of the greatest gifts there is.” — Liya Kebede
127. “You are not obligated to drink water, but you can’t live without it. Likewise, you are not obligated to help anyone, but a true human can never live without helping someone in need.” ― Abhijit Naskar
128. “If I have ten days to live, I’ll spend one day gathering strength, so I can spend the rest nine days, helping and lifting the fallen.” ― Abhijit Naskar
129. “Helping others will give you a higher level of inner peace and reduce your stress.” — Michele Hartley
130. “Real life is infested with agony – if you can walk through that agony while helping others, that’s what makes you a hero – not a superhero – but a real hero.” ― Abhijit Naskar
Compassion Quotes About Helping Others
131. “If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion.” — Dalai Lama
132. “Give Compassion: Every day the average person fights epic battles never told just to survive.” — Ken Poirot
133. “Compassion is the greatest form of love humans have to offer.” — Rachael Joy Scott
134. “Love and compassion are the true religions to me. But to develop this, we do not need to believe in any religion.” — Dalai Lama
135. “Until you have real compassion, you cannot recognize love.” — Bob Thurman
136. “We can’t heal the world today but we can begin with a voice of compassion, a heart of love, an act of kindness.” — Mary Davis
137. “There is no such thing as tough love. Love is kind, love is compassionate, love is tender.” — Heather Wolf
138. “There is no small act of kindness. Every compassionate act makes large the world.” — Mary Anne Radmacher
139. “A kind and compassionate act is often its own reward.” — William John Bennett
140. “In compassion, when we feel with the other, we dethrone ourselves from the center of our world and we put another person there.” — Karen Armstrong
Mother Teresa Quotes About Helping Others
141. “Never worry about numbers. Help one person at a time and always start with the person nearest you.” — Mother Teresa
142. “Helping hands are better than praying lips” — Mother Teresa
143. “I try to give to the poor people for love what the rich could get for money. No, I wouldn’t touch a leper for a thousand pounds, yet I willingly cure him for the love of God.” — Mother Teresa
144.“We do not need guns and bombs to bring peace, we need love and compassion.” — Mother Teresa
145. “Charity isn’t about pity; it is about love.” — Mother Teresa
146. “A life not lived for others is not a life” — Mother Teresa
147. “If you can’t feed a hundred people, then feed just one.” — Mother Teresa
148. “Give your hands to serve and your hearts to love.” — Mother Teresa
149. “Every time you smile at someone, it is an action of love, a gift to that person, a beautiful thing.” – Mother Teresa
150. “Good works are links that form a chain of love.” – Mother Teresa
151. “When you need help, people give you the one thing you don’t need, a lecture.” ― Thabo Molakeng
152. “We are healed to help others. We are blessed to be a blessing. We are saved to serve, not to sit around and wait for heaven.” ― Rick Warren
153. “Our truest nature is to help others, and to protect and love them.” ― Bryant McGill
154. “You either choose to help others, or you don’t choose to help others… THERE IS NO IN-BETWEEN!” ― Martin R. Lemieux
155. “No matter how you try to make the world a better place, the first step always starts with helping each other.” ― Magith Noohukhan
156. “We can have anything we want on life, if we just help others to found what they need”
― Ebelsain Villegas
157. “Your greatest contribution to helping other people live their destiny is for you to live your own.” ― Alan Cohen
158. “The only people who you should get even with are those who have helped you.” ― John Southard
Which of these quotes about helping others was your favorite?
People who need our help exist all around us.
When you help them, it means you’ve helped them move forward.
Helping other people reach their goals can also cause you to achieve your own success.
Hopefully, the quotes about helping others above have inspired you to help someone without the expectation of receiving anything in return.
Which of these quotes about helping others resonated with you best?
Do you have any other quotes to add to the list?
Tell us in the comment section below.