These Amelia Earhart quotes about adventure are sure to inspire you to reach for your dreams. Tell us which quote was your favorite in the comments below.
Amelia Earhart, also called ‘Lady Lindy’, was an American aviator and the first female pilot to successfully fly across the Atlantic Ocean. She disappeared in 1937 while over the Pacific Ocean, in an attempt to fly around the world from the equator. After numerous search operations, she was in the end, legally declared dead in 1939.
From humble beginnings, Earhart learned to take care of herself. Despite a less than stellar childhood, she would eventually be led by a series of events that would help her uncover her love for flight and adventure.
Her earlier encounter with aviators was when she volunteered as a nurse’s aide for returning WWI soldiers. But it was a plane ride at a Long Beach air show in 1920 that forever changed her life. Upon landing, she knew in her heart that she wanted to fly. After working, scrimping, and saving, she was finally able to take flying lessons. The rest as they say was history.
Amelia Earhart was more than a female pilot. She was also an author (her autobiography: 20 Hrs., 40 Min.), was an associate editor at Cosmopolitan magazine, and a vice president of National Airways. Even more so, she was an inspiration to women everywhere.
To help you chase your dreams and make your own way in the world, below you’ll find our collection of inspirational, brave, and encouraging Amelia Earhart quotes and sayings.
Discover her fun-loving, yet wise self through this collection of Amelia Earhart quotes.
The best Amelia Earhart quotes to encourage and empower
1. “Adventure is worthwhile in itself.” – Amelia Earhart
2. “The most effective way to do it, is to do it.” – Amelia Earhart
3. “The more one does and sees and feels, the more one is able to do, and the more genuine may be one’s appreciation of fundamental things like home, and love, and understanding companionship.” – Amelia Earhart
4. “To worry is to add another hazard.” – Amelia Earhart
5. “Never do things others can do and will do if there are things others cannot do or will not do.” – Amelia Earhart
6. “The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity. The fears are paper tigers. You can do anything you decide to do. You can act to change and control your life; and the procedure, the process is its own reward.” – Amelia Earhart
7. “I have a feeling there is just about one more good flight left in my system and I hope this trip is it.” – Amelia Earhart
8. “As far as I know I’ve only got one obsession—a small and probably typically feminine horror of growing old—so I won’t feel completely cheated if I fail to come back.” – Amelia Earhart
9. “Better do a good deed near at home than go far away to burn incense.” – Amelia Earhart
10. “I hope that such equality could be carried out in other fields so that men and women may achieve equally in any endeavor they set out.” – Amelia Earhart
Memorable Amelia Earhart quotes and sayings to help you soar
11. “Anticipation, I suppose, sometimes exceeds realization.” – Amelia Earhart
12. “Flying may not be all plain sailing, but the fun of it is worth the price.” – Amelia Earhart
13. “I lay no claim to advancing scientific data other than advancing flying knowledge. I can only say that I do it because I want to.” – Amelia Earhart
14. “The stars seemed near enough to touch and never before have I seen so many.” – Amelia Earhart
15. “I always believed the lure of flying is the lure of beauty, but I was sure of it that night.” – Amelia Earhart
16. “Preparation, I have often said, is rightly two-thirds of any venture.” – Amelia Earhart
17. “The woman who can create her own job is the woman who will win fame and fortune.” – Amelia Earhart
18. “Courage is the price that life exacts for granting peace, the soul that knows it not, knows no release from little things.” – Amelia Earhart
19. “The soul’s dominion? Each time we make a choice, we pay with courage to behold restless day and count it fair.” – Amelia Earhart
20. “Everyone has oceans to fly, if they have the heart to do it. Is it reckless? Maybe. But what do dreams know of boundaries?” – Amelia Earhart
Uplifting Amelia Earhart Quotes about love and life
21. “Being alone is scary, but not as scary as feeling alone in a relationship.” – Amelia Earhart
22. “Experiment! Meet new people. That’s better than any college education…By adventuring; about, you become accustomed to the unexpected. The unexpected then becomes what it really is…the inevitable.” – Amelia Earhart
23. “No kind action ever stops with itself. One kind action leads to another. Good example is followed. The greatest work that kindness does to others is that it makes them kind themselves.” – Amelia Earhart
24. “I did for the fun of it.” – Amelia Earhart
25. “…decide…whether or not the goal is worth the risks involved. If it is, stop worrying…” – Amelia Earhart
26. “You haven’t seen a tree until you’ve seen its shadow from the sky.” – Amelia Earhart
27. “Some of us have great runways already built for us. If you have one, take off. But if you don’t have one, realize it is your responsibility to grab a shovel and build one for yourself and for those who will follow after you.” – Amelia Earhart
28. “A single act of kindness throws out roots in all directions, and the roots spring up and make new trees.” – Amelia Earhart
29. “Please know that I am aware of the hazards. I want to do it because I want to do it. Women must try to do things as men have tried. When they fail, their failure must be a challenge to others.” – Amelia Earhart
30. “No kind action ever stops with itself. One kind action leads to another.” – Amelia Earhart
Moving Amelia Earhart Quotes about flying and adventure
31. “I want to do something useful in the world.” – Amelia Earhart
32. “Women must pay for everything. They do get more glory than men for comparable feats. But, they also get more notoriety when they crash.” – Amelia Earhart
33. “One of my favorite phobias is that girls, especially those whose tastes aren’t routine, often don’t get a fair break…It has come down through the generations, an inheritance of age-old customs which produced the corollary that women are bred to timidity.” – Amelia Earhart
34. “My ambition is to have this wonderful gift produce practical results for the future of commercial flying and for the women who may want to fly tomorrow’s planes.” – Amelia Earhart
35. “In soloing – as in other activities – it is far easier to start something than it is to finish it.” – Amelia Earhart
36. “There are two kinds of stones, as everyone knows, one of which rolls.” – Amelia Earhart
37. “Worry retards reaction and makes clear-cut decisions impossible.” – Amelia Earhart
38. “In my life I had come to realize that when things were going very well indeed it was just the time to anticipate trouble. And, conversely, I learned from pleasant experience that at the most despairing crisis, when all looked sour beyond words, some delightful ‘break’ was apt to lurk just around the corner.” – Amelia Earhart
39. “In aviation as a whole, women are outnumbered forty to one, but I feel that more will gain admittance as a greater number knock at the door. If and when you knock at the door, it might be well to bring an axe along; you may have to chop your way through.” – Amelia Earhart
40. “I could not see. I carried on.” – Amelia Earhart
Amelia Earhart quotes about chasing your dreams
41. “Surely we must have something more to contribute to marriage than our bodies.” – Amelia Earhart
42. “You know the more one does the more one can do.” – Amelia Earhart
43. “I wasn’t brave, I just didn’t have time to be scared.” – Amelia Earhart
44. “There’s more to life than being a passenger.” – Amelia Earhart
45. “No pay, no fly, and no work, no pay.” – Amelia Earhart
46. “Honor is the foundation of courage.” – Amelia Earhart
47. “I can think of lots of things worse than never getting married, and one of the worst is being married to a man who tied you down.” – Amelia Earhart
48. “There is so much that must be done in a civilized barbarism like war.” – Amelia Earhart
49. “Don’t criticize someone doing something you said couldn’t be done.” – Amelia Earhart
50. “As soon as we left the ground, I knew I had to fly.” – Amelia Earhart
More Amelia Earhart quotes
51. “Never interrupt someone doing something you said couldn’t be done.” – Amelia Earhart
52. “Now and then women should do for themselves what men have already done—occasionally what men have not done—thereby establishing themselves as persons, and perhaps encouraging other women toward greater independence of thought and action.” – Amelia Earhart
53. “Women, like men, should try to do the impossible. And when they fail, their failure should be a challenge to others.” – Amelia Earhart
54. “I cannot guarantee to endure at all times the confinements of even an attractive cage.” – Amelia Earhart
55. “I, for one, hope for the day when women will know no restrictions because of sex but will be individuals free to live their lives as men are free—irrespective of the continent or country where they happen to live.” – Amelia Earhart
56. “We’re always pushing through, hurrying on our long way, trying to get to some other place instead of enjoying the place we’d already got to.” – Amelia Earhart
57. “Character is destiny.” – Amelia Earhart
58. “It was generally called the “powder puff derby” and those who flew in it variously as “Ladybirds”, “Angels” or “Sweethearts of the Air”. We are still trying to get ourselves called just “pilots”.” – Amelia Earhart
59. “I have often said that the lure of flying is the lure of beauty.” – Amelia Earhart
Did these Amelia Earhart quotes make your heart soar?
Amelia Earhart and her unending legacy remain to this day. While there are still many unanswered questions regarding her disappearance, she’ll always be remembered as one of the most iconic pilots in history. She’s also left a great imprint in the hearts of women.
You don’t need to go on a transatlantic flight to create your own adventure. Just take it one day at a time, and always keep these inspiring Amelia Earhart quotes close to your heart.
Which of these Amelia Earhart quotes resonated with you best? Do you have any other inspirational quotes to add? Let us know in the comment section below.
February 25, 2021 6:00 AM EST